BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2014-04-23 3:53 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Subject: RE: The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN
Race Report

First stage of Tour du Chablais series. There are 6 stages total, always on Wednesday night at 19:00. It was 8.5 km run. To illustrate how athletic the Swiss are this is just a low key local race series and there were nearly 1000 people in the event. It was a fairly flat course in the beautiful town of Martigny. Martigny sits right at the base of the Grand St. Bernard Pass (where the dogs come from) that leads to Italy and there also is the pass to France and the famous ski town of Chamonix.

There was a group of 6 of us from my village that traveled together to the race. It was an absolutely beautiful night. It looked like it was going to rain but held off and perfect running temps (13 C.) I tried to get to the front of the race start but ended farther back than I like. So I spent the first km weaving through people. I went out way too fast and burned too many matches in the first 3 km. I settled down with a group of runners but was really labouring in the middle of the race. Trying to keep a good pace I really focused on 4:00 min / km for the middle. Did okay but had km splits of 4:06, 4:11, 4:06 which was disappointing.

On the last 2 km gave it all I had. I must admit that I was really close to red lining and over doing it and was right on the edge of going too hard and bonking. I managed to hold it together. In the last 200 meters a guy that I had been with the entire race passed me but I was able to summon a sprint , which nearly killed me, right at the end and beat him to the line.

It was a good effort. I finished it 32:49. That is a 3:51 min / km pace (6:12 min/ mile.) On races under 10 km my goal is to keep my pace under the 4:00 min/ km mark. My ultimate goal is to be sub 3:44 min / km which is just under 6:00 min/mile. I really feel the 6:00 min/mile is what separates the good runners from the elite. I was 66 overall, 18 in my age group. I really need to learn to keep a consistent pace. I have worked on this a lot but still am learning.

Next week the race is in Bex. It is a mountain stage and it was two years ago the course was in this town. It has some really steep hills in it, which for me is great. I train on the hills in my mountain village and flat races are almost more difficult for me because it is the same pace and continually the same muscles. The hills gives a variety different muscles a chance to be used and that feels much better. Historically I have placed the best in the mountain stages. I am really excited because for the first time in 5 years the tour goes through my village of Leysin on stage 5. Home court baby!

Hope y'alls week is going well,

Have fun out there,

Sincerely,

Paul

2014-04-24 9:33 AM
in reply to: pfomalont

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paul, way to race on the red line!!! Awesome times & best of luck next week. Please take a few photos of the mt stage. I would totally dig seeing them
2014-04-24 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy

I LOVE reading all the race reports! Thank you all so much for posting them!! Chris, I'm planning to go to the Turtle Crawl on Jekyll just to watch; I want to see first hand how transition areas work before I have to figure it out on race day. Post on here when you get your race number and I'll be sure to watch for you and cheer you on!
Have a GREAT week everyone and ROCK ON!!

Glad you enjoyed it. Maybe we will have the chance to say hello after the race. I've never met a real BT'er in person before.
2014-04-24 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy

Hi, everyone! I was wondering if any of you have experience or preferences on training with swim paddles? I'm considering them to help build my lat muscles, and I hear they can help with technique as well.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I love swimming with paddles. I just started with them in January. I usually try to swim 2x per week, so my first workout has a good bit of paddle work and my second is just freestyle swimming.
I think the main benefit for me has been in form. Yes, it slows your stroke down and forces you to pull a little harder which builds those shoulders, but it also gets you thinking about your hand entry into the water which will improve form.
2014-04-24 9:11 PM

Have room for one more in the group?

I train by feel. If I ever had to follow a plan I wouldn't be able to do anything.
Kind of the way I run my life too.
Married, two kids, full time job, with some part time jobs, and volunteer commitments.

Have completed a couple of sprints, an oly, a ton of 5 and 10K and two HMs.

Training for a HIM and Olys, maybe a sprint, and an 18 mile mountain run this year. (is that an ultra HM )

My financial situation is so dismal, that I may just end up staging my own courses and try for PR's each time.

I'd be thrilled if you'd have me in your group.
2014-04-25 6:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Americus, Georgia

Absolutely, Chris! I'll buy you a congratulatory beer!

Edited by marriedthepoolguy 2014-04-25 6:43 AM

2014-04-25 7:06 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
hi skibummer - I say welcome, haven't seen anyone turned away yet.

This is a great group - I've been in a few - and it is very cool that we have a few FAST people...every mentor has been different, Paul you do a great job. thank you.

This morning was a trip...rain, drizzle, couldn't make up it's mind...made me use my rules...then I realized you folks may not have heard of the rules.

They are hard core road bike rules - infact they don't like triathletes at all...but since we do spend alot of time on a bike many things apply for me and I try to follow my favorite ones.
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ now there are alot of rules, some good, some silly, many ring true to my training....it takes a while to get through them - but take what you like and maybe you will be able to become a stronger biker and triathlete.

I started off thinking - ok it's raining alittle - guess I need to drive the route....then I remember rule #9.

i take off in the rain and think - oh no maybe I don't have enough layers on for the this drizzle...I don't want to get a cold before vacation....then I think of my favorite rule....rule #5...

I finish the ride - i run some more - training completed - feel super - and get to share my knowledge of the rules with you...bonus!

Sunday the wife and I fly to Vegas till Wednesday! - it has been like 14 years since we went away for more then 2 nights...lots of reasons none of which are good enough why we didn't...man this vacation stuff is stressfull - more for her - so many things to take care of...soooo glad we are going!

Hope everyone has a super training day - and weekend!
pb
2014-04-26 11:58 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Tomorrow is my first real event, a duathlon with a 15 mile bike ride and a 5K run. (I find it funny how events mix standards of measurements!) It's not an official event, and not even timed, but I'm still a little anxious about it, perhaps because it's the first event in which I will have ever ridden a bike. And, even though it's unofficial and untimed, I will still be timing myself to see how I compare with my practice sessions. And, I'm hoping a little friendly competition might spur me to work harder and go faster.

My bike is all ready to go. I checked the tires yesterday and found they were 20 pounds? psi? under the minimum pressure listed, so I took them down to the gas station and filled them up to the maximum pressure listed. My front tire oozed clear goo from the valve stem; I don't know what that's about, but the tire is holding air. I will need to pick up new inner tubes at REI tomorrow after the event. I have no idea how old the tubes are that are on the bike; they could be 24 years old for all I know!

My riding and running gear is all packed in my triathlon bag. I keep having these horrible thoughts about I'm sure I'm forgetting something stupid, such as my helmet, so as a precaution, I stashed my son's old helmet under the back seat of my truck this afternoon. Anything else can be dealt with on site. I'm not too worried about flats as they have mechanics on the route to take care of problems, which is really good because I discovered both of my tire pumps are broken! Another thing I'll need to pick up at REI tomorrow.

Breakfast is packed--it's a two-hour drive to the event site--my cooler is loaded up with caffeine, and my truck's tank is full. The weather tomorrow is supposed to be like crap--in the mid 40s with thunderstorms, rain, hail, and 15mph wind. I'm glad the t-shirt they're giving us is long sleeved! I will need it, and if it gets all mud splattered, then I'll tie dye it to hide the stains.

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's race reports. The descriptions have been very colorful and thorough, making me feel like a vicarious participant.

Paper Boy, I really enjoyed the Velominati rules you posted! If I might add some good and sometimes silly tips: http://www.phoenixtriathlonclub.org/uploads/Lessons_everyone_new_tr... Number 85 is my favorite. My entire outfit for tomorrow is matched, right down to my water bottle. Number 89 is great, too, and I'm sure I will be thinking about that during the swim session during my first triathlon at the end of May.

Off to get some sleep. I mostly rested today and yesterday after pushing myself hard Thursday. I'm still pretty sore, but I got about ten hours of sleep last night, which is five hours more than usual for me. I should be find tomorrow.
2014-04-28 12:35 AM

User image

Today was quite a thrill! I woke up early, got ready for my event, and went out to throw my gear in the truck—to be greeted with a blizzard! OMG! I couldn’t believe it! So back inside I went, grabbed a pair of sweat pants out of the laundry basket, and changed from my riding gear, which I balled up and tossed in the back seat, just in case. Again, I was thankful the event organizers were giving us long-sleeved t-shirts, instead of short sleeved, because I own nothing with long sleeves and didn’t have anything to cover my arms.

Got everything loaded up, dropped my truck into 4WD, and headed down off the mountain. With all the water and snow on the road, the drive was pretty hairy, even for someone like me with 25 years Alaska winter driving experience. But, I made it OK and found the event staging area pretty easily as the parking lot was full of vehicles with bike racks. I got there early, so I took my time setting up and went and picked up my registration packet. By this time, it was raining pretty hard, so I layered up with another t-shirt over the top of my tank top and event t-shirt. That did the trick and kept me warm and dry enough for the ride.

The ride started by shooting a water bottle canon, which was pretty funny. It wasn’t being timed or anything, so no timing chips or anything. I just used my iPod, which I’d hung off my handle bar, to track my times. The fast people got pretty far ahead of me pretty fast, and the slow people got pretty far behind me pretty fast, so it wasn’t before long that I was humming “Alone Again, Naturally” to myself, which was pretty funny.

I had thought the course would be pretty easy. Silly me, I just assumed a route that followed a river in a river valley would be fairly flat, but this was anything but! If I wasn’t going uphill, I was going downhill, and these were no sissy hills! They were pretty steep, with hairpin curves. There was even one hill with a caution sign that said “5 mph - Deep Creek,” and “Deep Creek” was not the name of the creek, but rather the warning about what would happen if someone went too fast and missed the turn! I was thankful for including hills in my training rides at home, especially as I’d been following the advice on the USA Triathlon website (http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/game-changing-training-rules-022514.aspx) advising people to alternate flat routes and hill routes in their training, which I’d been doing.

I kept going as hard and fast as I could, following the pink arrows that matched my pink route map, until I got to the turnaround site. I figured it wouldn’t hurt me to stop for a few minutes, and I had to use the blue room (porta potty), so I pulled over with everybody else, and checked my time. Fifty-six minutes. Fifty-six minutes! I was kind of disgusted with myself because I do much better at home, and I’d been hoping riding with other people would encourage my competitive spirit and push me to do harder. But, I reminded myself, my training rides at home don’t include as many or as steep of hills as the ride I was on today, so maybe 56 minutes on a super hilly 7 1/2 mile ride isn’t so bad, especially since I’d had chain issues twice and was battling snow, sleet, hail, rain, sun, wind, and no wind.

I went to grab some snacks and Gatorade and check the route with one of the volunteers.

Me: Is this the turnaround for the 15-mile ride?

Him: No, this is the turnaround for the 25-mile ride.

Me: What? You mean I’m on the 25-mile loop?

Yeah, I was on the 25-mile loop! I hadn’t completed just 7 1/2 miles in 56 minutes—I’d completed 12 1/2 miles! Woohoo! My fastest time ever! I hopped back on my bike and head out with this goofy grin on my face. I wasn’t so fast on the ride back, and probably the last five miles had pretty much run out of steam as I completed the 25-mile ride in 2 hours 22 minutes.

A not-so-quick transition that included finding someone to clarify the run route and then a trip BACK to the transition area to drop off my bike helmet, and I was on my way. I felt pretty energized and psyched, so the first couple of miles went really well; I’m sure I probably did my fastest time ever. But, by the last mile, I was running out of steam, and the last half mile was pretty hard. I’d really slowed down by that time and finished the run in 59 minutes.

In all, I’m happy with my performance. I’ve been training for 10.6 miles, and I did 25. If I had completed the 15 mile loop instead of the 25, I’m sure I would have done better on the run. All things considering, I think my 59 minute 5K was pretty good!
2014-04-28 9:21 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Originally posted by burner2

Today was quite a thrill! I woke up early, got ready for my event, and went out to throw my gear in the truck—to be greeted with a blizzard! OMG! I couldn’t believe it! So back inside I went, grabbed a pair of sweat pants out of the laundry basket, and changed from my riding gear, which I balled up and tossed in the back seat, just in case. Again, I was thankful the event organizers were giving us long-sleeved t-shirts, instead of short sleeved, because I own nothing with long sleeves and didn’t have anything to cover my arms.

Got everything loaded up, dropped my truck into 4WD, and headed down off the mountain. With all the water and snow on the road, the drive was pretty hairy, even for someone like me with 25 years Alaska winter driving experience. But, I made it OK and found the event staging area pretty easily as the parking lot was full of vehicles with bike racks. I got there early, so I took my time setting up and went and picked up my registration packet. By this time, it was raining pretty hard, so I layered up with another t-shirt over the top of my tank top and event t-shirt. That did the trick and kept me warm and dry enough for the ride.

The ride started by shooting a water bottle canon, which was pretty funny. It wasn’t being timed or anything, so no timing chips or anything. I just used my iPod, which I’d hung off my handle bar, to track my times. The fast people got pretty far ahead of me pretty fast, and the slow people got pretty far behind me pretty fast, so it wasn’t before long that I was humming “Alone Again, Naturally” to myself, which was pretty funny.

I had thought the course would be pretty easy. Silly me, I just assumed a route that followed a river in a river valley would be fairly flat, but this was anything but! If I wasn’t going uphill, I was going downhill, and these were no sissy hills! They were pretty steep, with hairpin curves. There was even one hill with a caution sign that said “5 mph - Deep Creek,” and “Deep Creek” was not the name of the creek, but rather the warning about what would happen if someone went too fast and missed the turn! I was thankful for including hills in my training rides at home, especially as I’d been following the advice on the USA Triathlon website (http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/game-changing-training-rules-022514.aspx) advising people to alternate flat routes and hill routes in their training, which I’d been doing.

I kept going as hard and fast as I could, following the pink arrows that matched my pink route map, until I got to the turnaround site. I figured it wouldn’t hurt me to stop for a few minutes, and I had to use the blue room (porta potty), so I pulled over with everybody else, and checked my time. Fifty-six minutes. Fifty-six minutes! I was kind of disgusted with myself because I do much better at home, and I’d been hoping riding with other people would encourage my competitive spirit and push me to do harder. But, I reminded myself, my training rides at home don’t include as many or as steep of hills as the ride I was on today, so maybe 56 minutes on a super hilly 7 1/2 mile ride isn’t so bad, especially since I’d had chain issues twice and was battling snow, sleet, hail, rain, sun, wind, and no wind.

I went to grab some snacks and Gatorade and check the route with one of the volunteers.

Yeah, I was on the 25-mile loop! I hadn’t completed just 7 1/2 miles in 56 minutes—I’d completed 12 1/2 miles! Woohoo! My fastest time ever! I hopped back on my bike and head out with this goofy grin on my face. I wasn’t so fast on the ride back, and probably the last five miles had pretty much run out of steam as I completed the 25-mile ride in 2 hours 22 minutes.

A not-so-quick transition that included finding someone to clarify the run route and then a trip BACK to the transition area to drop off my bike helmet, and I was on my way. I felt pretty energized and psyched, so the first couple of miles went really well; I’m sure I probably did my fastest time ever. But, by the last mile, I was running out of steam, and the last half mile was pretty hard. I’d really slowed down by that time and finished the run in 59 minutes.

In all, I’m happy with my performance. I’ve been training for 10.6 miles, and I did 25. If I had completed the 15 mile loop instead of the 25, I’m sure I would have done better on the run. All things considering, I think my 59 minute 5K was pretty good!

Are you kidding??? 59 for the 5K is AWESOME!!! We all know how heavy our legs are coming off the bike & you rode further than you have trained for. SO YES, an under an hour 5k after that ride of wind, rain, & not really much of a warm up ROCKS!! Gr8 Job & I was please NOT to read about a downhill crash as the roads sound wet & visibility might not have been the best ether. Proud of you!!! Whats the next event?? How do you feel today?? And one last note here……. Way to keep your composure driving off the mountain top!!!! Big Hugs
2014-04-28 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Nice job!
It just goes to prove that we are capable of so much more than we realize. You had only trained at 10.6 miles but went 25 and still had enough in the tank to complete the run.
So how did you end up on the 25 mile loop instead of the 15 anyway?

2014-04-28 11:04 AM

User image

Nice job on the race and super fun report to read. It is fantastic that you ended up on the long bike course. Those are the best surprises. Seems like a great experience and that is what it is all about!
2014-04-28 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4916679

User image

Had a nice 5k yesterday!
Still recovering from the flu!

It wasn't my best 5k but close!
Fortunately for me though it was my fastest 3.35 mile run!
That's what mr runtastic pro said!
Also a friend if mine and a few strangers got a result about that much longer than a 5k!
I did a little of bobbing and weaving - but my friend was slower and didn't navigate any traffic and also got 3.3!
Everyone ran the same course and I'm very happy with the results given the circumstances.
2014-04-29 1:04 AM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement!

Padre: Whats the next event?? How do you feel today??

I feel great today! I still have that goofy grin on my face. After I got home late last night, I threw dinner in the oven, grabbed my pool bag, and went down and got in the hot tub, something I’ve never done before! I let the jets pummel my body for about a half hour, and it felt wonderful and took all the cramps out of my legs. I went back down tonight for another 20 minutes in the hot tub before doing some laps. I think I want to spend more time with that hot tub!

My next event is the Troika Triathlon at the end of May. It will be my first triathlon ever. I’m kind of nervous about it, but yesterday has given me a real confidence boost. I know I can do it; I’m just super competitive and want to kick .

Chris: So how did you end up on the 25 mile loop instead of the 15 anyway?

The 25-mile loop was a continuation of the 15-mile loop, and what they gave us for route maps were hand drawn loops indicating the shape of the routes. Since I wasn’t familiar with the area, I had nothing to compare it to. And, being on a bike trail, I was unable to preview the route beforehand on Google Earth. I remember coming up to an access road that had a sign on it with the same name as the street where we were supposed to turn around, but I thought it meant that bike trail would LEAD to the street with that name, and then we’d turn around, especially since the pink arrow indicated we continue down the trail. So like a lemming, I just followed everybody else.

At the potato feed afterward, I sat with the local triathlon club, and several of their members complained about the lack of map detail and signage, too. (They had done the 66-mile and 100-mile loops.) But, I figure it’s just a fun ride, not a timed ride, and as long as we had fun, then that’s the whole point. If it were a race, then I might gripe about it.

I’m still really stoked. I found a blister on my foot tonight that I didn’t even know was there! I thought I would be more sore than I am, but I still did a 5K after work tonight, and then 740 yards in the pool. I think I’m really liking this!

Clarkey77: Great job on your 5K. I can't imagine running a 5K--or any distance--while recovering from the flu! That takes some real dedication!
2014-04-29 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4988342

User image

Burner - you are on Fire!
2014-04-30 10:53 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado

Thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement!

Padre: Whats the next event?? How do you feel today??

I feel great today! I still have that goofy grin on my face. After I got home late last night, I threw dinner in the oven, grabbed my pool bag, and went down and got in the hot tub, something I’ve never done before! I let the jets pummel my body for about a half hour, and it felt wonderful and took all the cramps out of my legs. I went back down tonight for another 20 minutes in the hot tub before doing some laps. I think I want to spend more time with that hot tub!

My next event is the Troika Triathlon at the end of May. It will be my first triathlon ever. I’m kind of nervous about it, but yesterday has given me a real confidence boost. I know I can do it; I’m just super competitive and want to kick .

Chris: So how did you end up on the 25 mile loop instead of the 15 anyway?

The 25-mile loop was a continuation of the 15-mile loop, and what they gave us for route maps were hand drawn loops indicating the shape of the routes. Since I wasn’t familiar with the area, I had nothing to compare it to. And, being on a bike trail, I was unable to preview the route beforehand on Google Earth. I remember coming up to an access road that had a sign on it with the same name as the street where we were supposed to turn around, but I thought it meant that bike trail would LEAD to the street with that name, and then we’d turn around, especially since the pink arrow indicated we continue down the trail. So like a lemming, I just followed everybody else.

At the potato feed afterward, I sat with the local triathlon club, and several of their members complained about the lack of map detail and signage, too. (They had done the 66-mile and 100-mile loops.) But, I figure it’s just a fun ride, not a timed ride, and as long as we had fun, then that’s the whole point. If it were a race, then I might gripe about it.

I’m still really stoked. I found a blister on my foot tonight that I didn’t even know was there! I thought I would be more sore than I am, but I still did a 5K after work tonight, and then 740 yards in the pool. I think I’m really liking this!

Clarkey77: Great job on your 5K. I can't imagine running a 5K--or any distance--while recovering from the flu! That takes some real dedication!

Best Line: Goofy grin on my face!!!! I looked up Troika Tri & I would highly recommend that you show up early. Set up your transition area the way you like AND THEN spend at least 20 min swimming. WHY??? Their site claims the water temp will be low 60's & that will take so much out of you if you are not ready, warm, or prepared. Get in & breast stroke, back stroke, & just swim. Also, bring a light jacket that you don't care about for the start of your bike ride. Your core will be chilly & riding a bike while shaking totally sucks. 1st or 2nd aide station, dump your jacket, ride on.

Other than that, I see no reason for you to be worried about this event. You rocked it on your last ride, you persevered when Mother Nature showed up, & feel free to turn around at the turnaround instead of adding a few extra miles…… HHHHHEEEEeeeeeeee…… Big Hugs

2014-04-30 6:32 PM

Not sure if I've been officially welcomed into the group yet but...
I just got back from the doc and he says I have arthritis in my back and neck.
36 yrs old...sounds like I'm already falling apart.

The GOOD news: after some PT I'll be OK.

The BAD news: after some PT I'll be very poor.

I think my racing season just collapsed before it started.
I'm continuing training even though it's a little painful and really isn't going to result in a sanctioned race.

Looks like I'll just map out a self appointed HIM around town here.

I could do a destination self appointed HIM

I'm thinking of calling it "The Poorman 70.3".

2014-04-30 8:18 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Sorry to hear Ski,

Good luck on the road to recovery.

Did 2.5 miles on Monday

Did 30 minutes weight training - then 2 miles.
--I pushed from a smooth 11 min mile to a sub 9 finishing up.

Trying to ramp my times up (or down depending on how you look at it).
2014-05-01 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
April Totals:

S: 15,529 yds
B: 208 miles
R: 59 miles
2014-05-02 6:41 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Marshall Michigan
Lots of walking in Vegas...I mean alot of walking! wow
super fun and we already know we will be back - so much to see and do.. - what a crazy place.

Bike: 34h 21m - 326.8 Mi

Run: 14h 01m 07s - 57.67 Mi

Racquetball: 2h 30m

Yard Work: 10h 00m

Better month for totals, met the run goal.

Great race reports everyone...keep it up. Mtb race this sunday for me...looks like it will be a muddy mess :>)

Have a super weekend all
pb
2014-05-02 7:49 AM
in reply to: Paper Boy

User image

Americus, Georgia
April totals:

Swim: 4h 59m - 9280.62 Yd

Bike: 4h 44m 45s - 67.96 Mi

Run: 3h 45m 01s - 18.76 Mi

Yoga: 2h 00m

Abs: 40 mins

2014-05-02 6:56 PM

User image

Lifted for 30 min - Back / Bi

Then hit the road - not the dreadmill for a nice run.
Planned a nice easy run. and that's what it was.

4 miles 38 min. Yup fastest longest run EVA!
9:30 miles - Ive recently crushed the 10 min mile and haven't run an over 10 min miles except for warming up in a while!

Im feeling pretty good about it too!
(don't get cocky kid - your still pretty damn slow).

But I felt good, great in fact, the last half mile wasn't much fun!
I'm not sure I could have gone much further.

Anyway - plan for the weekend.
workout tomorrow AM and a long Bike either tomorrow PM or Sunday AM.
  • April Totals - a little misleading - doesn't have my sprint in there.
    Also I ramped down before and after the race, then was sidelined for a week by the flu!

Swim: 1h 00m - 1200 Yd

Bike: 2h 18m - 38.6 Mi

Run: 5h 09m 42s - 29.95 Mi

Strength: 48m
    2014-05-03 2:21 PM

User image

25 min weights - Shoulders

then changed it up a bit
    30 min on the elyptical
    warmup
    22 min HiiT alternating med and high cadence
    cooldown.

Then burned a ton of calories watching the Bruins game.
    Yeah - heart pounding action!
    2014-05-03 4:10 PM

APRIL TOTALS

Bike 10h 30m
    Run: 6h 34m
    Cross-Country Skiing : 12h 45m

Only one outside bike and run. Too cold still.
    Totals would be more if the new month didn't start mid week.
    No swim. The pool is very inconvenient to get to right now.
    Swim starts up about mid May.
    I'm not worried about the swim at all.

I am worried about all the food I ate at my son's First Communion party today.
    Hard trainer/treadmill sessions this evening.
    2014-05-04 10:01 PM
    in reply to: skibummer

User image

11 mile bike - followed by a mile run.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
    Views: 20788 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
    Views: 36895 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
    Views: 19556 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
    Views: 23857 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 15722 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
    date : October 29, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : June 11, 2008
    author : Team BT
    comments : 2
    Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
    date : October 5, 2007
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.

date : June 6, 2006
    author : marmadaddy
    The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.
    date : March 5, 2006
    author : BobbyMcgee
    When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : smeeko
    Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.