BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2014-03-31 8:03 AM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Marshall Michigan
Subject: RE: The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN
Well super weekend all around looks like! - Night away was super fun (hubba hubba) and finished the weekend with R-ball for a hour with the wife.

And gAve the mtb alittle love, tires, pumped up shocks, cleaned /oil chain..we all need alittle love from time to time.

This morning however....16 miles on the bike and ran 3....thier are already new routes being planned in my head, 3 hours 6 min to finish the route...

If I drive like jerk, don't stop at stop signs, and speed up & slow down really fast and just beat on the car I can finish in 2 hours 40 min....

Well I only was in the car today 38 mins! the rest was all BILL POWER....I can't wait to go father tomorrow.

If this continues - my 5:50am cut off will be in effect. If I finish papers before 5:50am - I MUST GO SWIMMING....that's the rule... OH BABY!

Have a super training day everyone!
pb

2014-03-31 9:26 AM
in reply to: The Padre

Six days to race day!! I'm trying to keep it light & easy this week, just a little bit of everything to keep my body used to the feeling of each sport & transition but still let it rest up.

Today: run 1.5 miles, bike 8 miles OUTSIDE IN OUR FINALLY GORGEOUS SPRING WEATHER!!
Tomorrow: body pump at the gym, then super easy swim for 15-20 minutes
Wednesday: 3 mile trail run with the girls
Thursday: stationary bike at the gym 8 miles, easy swim six laps
Friday: REST and hang out with my cheering squad (mom) who is coming to town!
Saturday: Drive the routes, pick up my packet, pre-race briefing, put together everything I need in a 5 gallon paint bucket (which I can then sit on while changing shoes/clothes during transition --learned this tip from a friend)
Sunday: AT DAWN WE RIDE! (jk, it'll actually be around 8am, and I'll run first)

I just want to finish in one piece. Still being able to move when I'm done would be a nice bonus. I feel kind of lame asking for recovery tips for a sprint, but....got any good recovery tips?

(atdawnweride.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
atdawnweride.jpg (59KB - 6 downloads)
2014-03-31 6:46 PM
in reply to: mollydickinson

User image

Molly,
Looks like a good plan.
How are you feeling about it? How are you feeling about the swim - especially the swim at the end?

• For me, I did another mini brick today.
    7 miles on the bike - 25 min - somewhat easy pace.
    Then 3.5 miles on the dreadmill - 35 min.
    I steadily increased the pace from about a 11 min mile as high as an 8 min mile
    Felt really good.
    2014-04-01 6:04 AM
    in reply to: LeAnnSeely

Regular
    Hi everyone!

My name is Tania. I did a couple of sprint tris in 2010 and 2011, but in 2012 I tore my achilles and had a bout of pneumonia that really derailed me. I signed up for an Oly in September, so I need to get back into training and the mentor program to keep me motivated. I'm going to Spain for 11 days at the end of April so I will really get serious when I get back. Until then I just plan to get back into the routine and make sure all my gear is in good shape.

I'm not sure when the next mentor session will open up, but hopefully I can get into the same group with most of you - you all seem like fun.

I'm 44, single with no kids. I enjoy training and now that the big thaw in on I hope to be able to get out there more. I also enjoy krav maga and geocaching.
    2014-04-01 8:06 AM
    in reply to: waltontl

User image

Marshall Michigan
    Molly - you need a few cold beers for recovery right after the race - and a driver to load your bike and drive you home for a wonderful car ride NAPPY!

Totals for March

Bike: 16h 12m - 143.97 Mi - 1/2 of monthly goal - will be working on this now that the weather has broke.

Run: 20h 59m 25s - 86.34 Mi - exceded monthly goal by 16 miles....which is good as I have to make up for little running in Jan - Feb...yay

Racquetball: 3h 00m - 3 times in 1 month is good for us...we are learning together.

Super morning - rain for the 1st hour - then as it was time to start my running and biking...poof no more rain. HEYO

Hope everyone has a super training day today. What is everyone eating for Dinners!

last night veggie fajitas -

pb

2014-04-01 8:41 AM
    in reply to: Paper Boy

Originally posted by Paper Boy

Molly - you need a few cold beers for recovery right after the race - and a driver to load your bike and drive you home for a wonderful car ride NAPPY!

Haha that sounds like an EXCELLENT recovery plan!

My schedule this week got shifted around a little bit because I (thankfully) remembered at the last minute that I had signed up for a bike maintenance clinic last night. Now I know how to change a tube if I get a flat during the race!! Well, as long as it's the front tire. The guy leading the clinic looked at my back wheel (hex nuts, no levers) and said "Uh, yeah, if that goes flat, better just have somebody bring you another bike." So my husband will have my backup bike in the car and be on call!!

My easy swim this morning was just that -- easy. I'm finally feeling more comfortable in the water.

Tuesday is salad night at my house, probably topped with grilled chicken and apple slices. Veggie fajitas sound pretty good, I'll queue those up for my next Meatless Monday.

2014-04-01 11:00 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
    Originally posted by mollydickinson

Haha that sounds like an EXCELLENT recovery plan!

My schedule this week got shifted around a little bit because I (thankfully) remembered at the last minute that I had signed up for a bike maintenance clinic last night. Now I know how to change a tube if I get a flat during the race!! Well, as long as it's the front tire. The guy leading the clinic looked at my back wheel (hex nuts, no levers) and said "Uh, yeah, if that goes flat, better just have somebody bring you another bike." So my husband will have my backup bike in the car and be on call!!

My easy swim this morning was just that -- easy. I'm finally feeling more comfortable in the water.

Tuesday is salad night at my house, probably topped with grilled chicken and apple slices. Veggie fajitas sound pretty good, I'll queue those up for my next Meatless Monday.

Please - well agreed - a back up bike is a good way togo - but you could just throw the correct wrench in your bike bag. Maybe spray that bolt a few times, take off, put back on, and it wouldn't be that big a deal, and the tire is the hard part anyways... just incase back up bike dosen't work out.
    2014-04-01 11:02 AM
    in reply to: waltontl

User image

Marshall Michigan
    Originally posted by waltontl

Hi everyone!

My name is Tania. I did a couple of sprint tris in 2010 and 2011, but in 2012 I tore my achilles and had a bout of pneumonia that really derailed me. I signed up for an Oly in September, so I need to get back into training and the mentor program to keep me motivated. I'm going to Spain for 11 days at the end of April so I will really get serious when I get back. Until then I just plan to get back into the routine and make sure all my gear is in good shape.

I'm not sure when the next mentor session will open up, but hopefully I can get into the same group with most of you - you all seem like fun.

I'm 44, single with no kids. I enjoy training and now that the big thaw in on I hope to be able to get out there more. I also enjoy krav maga and geocaching.

Hi Tania - welcome to our mentor group.
    the main guy Paul is out doing a Ironman for a another week - but he is worth the wait...
    Until then you must put up with the rest of us. lol

Welcome
    pb
    2014-04-01 8:11 PM

Please - well agreed - a back up bike is a good way togo - but you could just throw the correct wrench in your bike bag. Maybe spray that bolt a few times, take off, put back on, and it wouldn't be that big a deal, and the tire is the hard part anyways... just incase back up bike dosen't work out.

So...there's no chance that if I take the back wheel off like all the gears are going to fall apart or I'm going to break the derailleur? Bc I feel like that's inevitable.

Also, welcome Tania! I've only been part of this group for a few days but I love it!
    2014-04-01 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

Totals for March

Bike: 16h 12m - 143.97 Mi - 1/2 of monthly goal - will be working on this now that the weather has broke.

Run: 20h 59m 25s - 86.34 Mi - exceded monthly goal by 16 miles....which is good as I have to make up for little running in Jan - Feb...yay

Racquetball: 3h 00m - 3 times in 1 month is good for us...we are learning together.

Super morning - rain for the 1st hour - then as it was time to start my running and biking...poof no more rain. HEYO

Hope everyone has a super training day today. What is everyone eating for Dinners!

pb

Nice Totals!!!

My March:

S: 14436 yards
    B: 188 miles
    R: 69 miles
    2014-04-02 7:29 AM
    in reply to: Dominion

User image

Marshall Michigan
    Originally posted by Dominion

Totals for March

pb

Nice Totals!!!

My March:

S: 14436 yards
    B: 188 miles
    R: 69 miles

Not to bad either buddy - plus I clicked your blog site...very cool... you are like superman speeds! I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing when I have time AT WORK! YUCK...

2014-04-02 7:40 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
    Good morning everyone!

Great day for me
    ran 46 min and biked 88min...feeling super fast - but those darn studded tires I believe is really slowing me down....1 more week of above freezing temps - and off they go! yay
    Also my 2nd run was a time setter for 2014....this winter has been hard...for 4 months since the snow settled in I've run this route always above 30min

TODAY - 29:58.....HAHAHAHAH GOT YA SUCKER....can't wait till tommorrow and start makeing this a nightly thing.

I hope everyone has a super training day!
    pb
    2014-04-02 4:59 PM
    in reply to: LeAnnSeely

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
    March totals:

Swim - 8:50 hrs/10,680 yards
    Bike - 2:43 hrs/27 mi
    Power walk - 5:28 hrs/15 mi
    "Strength training" - 4:30 (shoveling snow, yard work)

I missed 11 days in March because of conferences and illness. I have another conference this week (the last one of the year! woohoo!) that will cut five days from my training this month, unless partying counts.

Registered for my events:
    April 27 - Lilac Century Fun Ride (duathlon - 15k bike/5k run)
    May 31 - Troika Sprint Tri
    July 27 - Race the River Sprint Tri

I may go for another tri in mid-August, but that's in the middle of my busy Burning Man season, so I'm not sure yet.

Molly, if you take your back wheel off, nothing else should come off. The derailleur is attached to your frame, and it's pretty solid. You just pull it out of the way when you remove the wheel. And, I believe the gears are actually threaded onto the wheel; I do know they will not come off if you remove the wheel. They're pretty solid. If you have more than one bike and you're uncomfortable working on your competition bike, practice on one that doesn't matter so much.

Welcome, Tania!

I am eager to hear how Coach, Molly, and Paul do on their tri's!
    2014-04-02 5:57 PM
    in reply to: burner2

User image

12.5 miles on the bike today then jumped off and ran for 5 minutes.

After every bike session I am going to hit the road for at least 5 minutes to get my legs used to it.

I only have a few sessions left.

2014-04-02 6:12 PM
    in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia
    Originally posted by Clarkey77

12.5 miles on the bike today then jumped off and ran for 5 minutes.

After every bike session I am going to hit the road for at least 5 minutes to get my legs used to it.

I only have a few sessions left.

Brick's are tough, but the more you do them, the easier they get. I always appreciate the sense of satisfaction I get after a tough brick session.
    2014-04-02 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

So...there's no chance that if I take the back wheel off like all the gears are going to fall apart or I'm going to break the derailleur? Bc I feel like that's inevitable.

Also, welcome Tania! I've only been part of this group for a few days but I love it!

The gears can't fall out. That part is called a cassette and it is attached to your wheel. It takes a special tool to remove it. No chance of it falling off. It just stays with the wheel.

2014-04-02 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

Not to bad either buddy - plus I clicked your blog site...very cool... you are like superman speeds! I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing when I have time AT WORK! YUCK...

Thanks for checking out the blog.

My first race is less than 2 weeks out (Apr 13) so I'll be updating the blog with a new race report. I'm looking forward to seeing how I do in comparison to last year which was basically a disaster. It was my first race (because I don't really count 2 sprints I did back in 1999, back as a 20-something which seems a lifetime ago.) The hotel was way out of town due to no rooms available because of the U of Georgia spring football game, we got lost race morning and I thought i was going to miss the whole thing. The morning temps were cold and my hands and feet went numb. I didn't have quick laces then and trying to tie my shoes in T2 with frozen fingers was a slow experience. I looked back at the pictures of that bike ride and I am wearing my Diadora shoes and Bell helmet both left over from the 1999 era. I still use that helmet, though I do have a new Orbea that I love, but those Diadora shoes disintegrated a few weeks after the race on a training ride (dry rot i think). So not much went right, but at least my shoes didn't fall apart DURING the race!

Looking forward to another crack at Athens!

2014-04-02 6:32 PM
    in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia
    Originally posted by burner2

March totals:

Swim - 8:50 hrs/10,680 yards
    Bike - 2:43 hrs/27 mi
    Power walk - 5:28 hrs/15 mi
    "Strength training" - 4:30 (shoveling snow, yard work)

I missed 11 days in March because of conferences and illness. I have another conference this week (the last one of the year! woohoo!) that will cut five days from my training this month, unless partying counts.

Registered for my events:
    April 27 - Lilac Century Fun Ride (duathlon - 15k bike/5k run)
    May 31 - Troika Sprint Tri
    July 27 - Race the River Sprint Tri

I may go for another tri in mid-August, but that's in the middle of my busy Burning Man season, so I'm not sure yet.

Molly, if you take your back wheel off, nothing else should come off. The derailleur is attached to your frame, and it's pretty solid. You just pull it out of the way when you remove the wheel. And, I believe the gears are actually threaded onto the wheel; I do know they will not come off if you remove the wheel. They're pretty solid. If you have more than one bike and you're uncomfortable working on your competition bike, practice on one that doesn't matter so much.

Welcome, Tania!

I am eager to hear how Coach, Molly, and Paul do on their tri's!

Nice totals and good job on getting some races scheduled. Nothing motivates like having races on the books!
    2014-04-03 9:06 AM
    in reply to: #4973512

User image

I just figured out how to get totals!
    in the month of march
    I swam 4 miles
    biked 100
    ran 45
    over 23 workouts.
    Probably have a little less in April as I have a taper planned into the race
    2014-04-03 12:45 PM
    in reply to: Clarkey77

I am so impressed by how much all of y'all swim! I didn't track everything in March but I definitely will for April.

Trail run yesterday was great, weather was beautiful, which brought out some of the, um, less savory elements. Message to dudes strolling by smoking cigarettes & joints -- the girls busting their butts running do not want to get holla'ed at by you.

I have my last pre-race workout today, a gym bike-swim. This thing is getting real, folks!! 72 hours from now, my first triathlon will be in the books!

2014-04-04 7:05 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Americus, Georgia
    Good luck, Molly!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!

My March totals (21 days) are:
    Swim: 5h 15m - 8131.89 Yd
    Bike: 4h 54m 40s - 65.01 Mi
    Run: 2h 45m 36s - 13.8 Mi

Looks kinda wimpy compared to some of you guys, but considering I just started running and swimming in January, not bad.
    Have a great weekend everyone!!

Edited by marriedthepoolguy 2014-04-04 7:07 AM

2014-04-04 9:44 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

I am so impressed by how much all of y'all swim! I didn't track everything in March but I definitely will for April.

Trail run yesterday was great, weather was beautiful, which brought out some of the, um, less savory elements. Message to dudes strolling by smoking cigarettes & joints -- the girls busting their butts running do not want to get holla'ed at by you.

I have my last pre-race workout today, a gym bike-swim. This thing is getting real, folks!! 72 hours from now, my first triathlon will be in the books!

HAY BABY - HOLLA -

Good luck at the race - my first race was so much fun, remember to keep your head up and SMILE - thank every volunteer you see - it goes so fast - and when your done you'll want to do it again!

Can't wait to read some race reports!
    pb
    2014-04-04 9:48 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
    Thursday - everything was slow - high winds - started late, but gutted it out to get the miles in...

Today - well it's a super Friday - weather stinks but I'm inside now - so let it rain...
    51 min running
    104 min on the bike - good news I bought my new road tires for mtb - next week my times will really be falling...excited. - Good bye studded tires till December!

Hope everyone has a super training and RACING weekend.
    pb

grilled chicken 1/4's and salad for dinner tonight!

2014-04-04 11:41 AM

User image

Regular
    Grand Junction, Colorado

HAY BABY - HOLLA -

Good luck at the race - my first race was so much fun, remember to keep your head up and SMILE - thank every volunteer you see - it goes so fast - and when your done you'll want to do it again!

Can't wait to read some race reports!
    pb

Good On You Paperboy!! Molly, he brought up a good point. Allow this Triathlon to be an event & not a race. Take your time to enjoy & learn from all aspects of this event. Be present & totally take the time to talk the volunteers. Take the time to cheer on others, soak up the atmosphere, & have a wonderful experience. We are pulling for ya & we look forward to the report. Cheers
    2014-04-05 9:58 AM
    in reply to: #4916679

User image

Yesterday - 30 min easy bike
    Immediately to five min run

Today nice 40 min run warmed up and pushed it at the end
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
    Views: 20792 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
    Views: 36897 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
    Views: 19558 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
    Views: 23863 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 15725 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
    date : October 29, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : June 11, 2008
    author : Team BT
    comments : 2
    Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
    date : October 5, 2007
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.

date : June 6, 2006
    author : marmadaddy
    The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.
    date : March 5, 2006
    author : BobbyMcgee
    When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : smeeko
    Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.