BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-05-10 3:15 PM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me)
Ya race banditing is a thing, it just isn't cool. Folks jump in, take food and water, may get hurt as they might not be ready for the race and then need medical attention and the race officials have no medical info or contact information. It is kind of the opposite of what the rest of us do, give back.

So today I was considering putting my road tires back on and going outside for my long bike... it was 30F when I wanted to start so I just stayed indoors. Then it started hailing and snowing out...... That would have been a mess on the bike. I did run outside, but was glad I elected to stay inside for the bike. Hopefully spring comes soon.

I was pretty smoked last week, my usual weekly run was 2;00 mpm slower than usual and I had to stop a swim after 1200 yards on Sunday. Starting to get a bit recovered this week. Run is coming back, bike is so/so swim still sucky for sure.

2014-05-12 9:51 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me)
Big thanks to everyone who replied. I will stay conservative and treat this event as it is : a fun and enjoyable ride + good practice for riding in a gigantic group!

Went for a 40-mile ride on Sunday (my mother's day gift: 3 hours of total freedom + lunch prepared and served just as I got inside) I really could get used to that...

Steve : can't believe it, snow and cold??? Even here up north we had the best weekend ever wheather-wise (about time!). Good thing you stayed inside, and I hope you recover well. As I read your posts I learn a lot about full-distance training and recovery. You really are an inspiration.

Race bandits: I wonder how many people do that. To me it's a bit like cheating or stealing. I get that race atmosphere if fun and race fees are not cheap, but still...

Happy training to all!
2014-05-13 2:29 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Master
Maryland
Originally posted by isabella969

Big thanks to everyone who replied. I will stay conservative and treat this event as it is : a fun and enjoyable ride + good practice for riding in a gigantic group!

Went for a 40-mile ride on Sunday (my mother's day gift: 3 hours of total freedom + lunch prepared and served just as I got inside) I really could get used to that...

Steve : can't believe it, snow and cold??? Even here up north we had the best weekend ever wheather-wise (about time!). Good thing you stayed inside, and I hope you recover well. As I read your posts I learn a lot about full-distance training and recovery. You really are an inspiration.

Race bandits: I wonder how many people do that. To me it's a bit like cheating or stealing. I get that race atmosphere if fun and race fees are not cheap, but still...

Happy training to all!

Isabella, it sounds like you had a nice Mother's Day! I also thing that the race bandits are cheating. I believe a lot of people do it but I don't ever notice them or look for them.

Steve, where do you live? I can't believe it was snowing there but I heard in Colorado it was snowing a lot this past weekend.
2014-05-13 3:09 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I live in Northeastern California at 4500 foot elevation. Was pressed for time on my run Sunday (8.5 miles) and um over did it 7:30 mpm pace on a hilly route into the wind,...paying for ithis week. But boy it was nice at the time. Going to be a long week on sore legs. However, including this week I have a total of 3 build weeks left, so it is just survival mode until taper at this point.
2014-05-13 8:01 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
I hear you on survival mode, I have a sprint this weekend I really want to try to push so I'm backing off of my HIM plan a little for this week with 25 days to go until Boise, but now work is getting in the way of even getting a decent workout in. Plan on a big week next week I figure I have 2 more long runs 1 more race distance plus ride and then taper I just hope my base is going to be solid enough to get me thru this week with little time to train. My next 2 days will consist of working 5:00 am to 6:30 pm or so. I'll run a little at lunch and try to ride a little Thursday with a swim then take Friday off and race on Saturday. Lets hope it works.
2014-05-14 1:04 AM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Mike you are looking in pretty good shape for your HIM. Your swim is best, bike and run are ok you have your first long in each, just need 1-2 more long bike and run and you should be good with no walking required.

5200 yard swim kicked my booty today ugg. Even my stomach is sore. How are my fellow CDAers doing in training?

2014-05-14 6:18 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hey all -- I've been MIA and it hasn't been a good time. My leg injury has returned, and its not good. Its largely brought all activity to a full stop. Even swimming isn't fun (and someone stole both pair of my goggles at the gym last week to boot....). I'm out of the HIM. Not happening. I'm only hoping I can get back at it this week and be semi-ready for a sprint the end of June. I've been eating like garbage, haven't slept well, can tell I've put on weight, and overall feeling just unmotivated, angry, and bewildered. This hasn't been fun. But I'm thinking I've bottomed out of this funk, and will start back up slowly beginning tomorrow. Getting older stinks.
2014-05-14 10:14 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Mike, sorry to hear your leg is acting up. If you're not going to do the race, go see a doctor who will put you out of it, then contact the RD....you should be able to get your money back.....I was able to last year.

I'm quietly starting to turn up the intensity here. I haven't been great about logging my activity but I've been pretty consistent with running/biking the last few weeks. That momentum you need when you start up is starting to trend toward activity....so I'm trying to be consistent. My diet has been on point for the most part as well....1 slip up on Mothers Day but right back to the right thing on Monday.

I'm glad to see the activity picking up in here again with both the posting and training.
2014-05-15 4:22 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Mike, I am really sorry to hear about the leg issues. Have you seen a doc to konw what the recovery plan is or is it justa musclke pull type thing. I totally get in a funk when I am injured and can't work out, especiallly when it costs you a race. I guess it is time to work on those guns.. maybe some abe work, strengthan that back... or just relax with no expectations for a bit and ease back into it mentally recovrerd for it. It is a shame you had a nice build going there.

So ya ssnow last week and like 85F for my run today. Mental note, just because you feel recovered on a recovery week, don't go out hard on a run and leave yourself toasted for your next build weeks, you will pay for it, ask how I knw..
2014-05-15 11:02 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Looks like Mike and I are on the same bad luck train this week! After fending off lower back pain from checking a guy 80 lbs heavier than me in basketball on Monday, I got myself injured from a slide tackle from a goalie during my soccer match yesterday. The keep (illegally) slid cleats-first into my shin while I was on a breakaway which resulted in a nasty, deep (and painful) gash righ tabove my shin guard! The emergency room fixed me up with 3 stitches and a tetanus shot. Sucks because I have so many events lined up, including the dragonboat festival this weekend and my next half marathon in 9 days (I wanted my last long run to be today or tomorrow). Definitely puts a damper on my training, but spirits are high. Keep your head up too Mike.
2014-05-16 12:57 AM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Phil...walking, lots and lots of walking slow at first faster after the stitches come out. What did the doc say about when you can run again. I know when I got the 15 stitches in my ankle I was able to walk ... well I did walk daily after the first day, just made sure to not stretch the stich area and avoid impact. Take care and hope you mend well. Sucks to be old.... Soccer can be brutal. My brother still has a big ol metal rod in his shin bone from a slidetaclke. Collar bones break frequently in soccer. Mend well. We may have to reopen the MASH unit.

2014-05-16 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Phil, hope you heal up fast so you can enjoy your events. Guessing if dragon boating involves getting wet that is out, but hopefully the HM still has a chance for happening.

Steve, glad you are just toasted, and not injured. IMCDA will be here before you know it!

Jay, glad you are finding your mojo!

MikeD, sorry that the hammy is not cooperating. Hope it will be well enough to enjoy the Tour de Grapevine. I'm fat and slow right now, so I assure you it will be a gentle tour.

Mike, exciting that you are closing in on Boise! If Steve says you're good to go, you are. Don't let the work stuff get you down.

Linda, what's your summer look like?

Isabella, hope you have fun at your bike rally! That one sounds a bit more formal than many around here. Lots of folks hook up with pace lines, but many others just ride solo, or with a friend or two. I've always gone the ride with a friend or two route, so not much help on choosing the right pace line.

Joe, sounds like you are getting some good rides in. Plenty of time for the 9/6 HIM, and lots of warm weather between now and then!

Carl, what's next on your agenda?

Pam, Samantha, Jim, Mitch, pop in when time permits and let us know how you are doing.

Made it to the pool 2X already this week, and looking good to hit it a 3rd time today. Riding has not been happening much, but I think I have hubby talked into joining me at a beginner ride with one of the local bike shops. I realized that I've become OK with starting over and/or not being at a higher level of fitness. Used to bother me that I wasn't as fit as I once was, etc. Now my mind goes to...."hey this is cool, I can feel like I've had a good workout but only spend half the time I used to".

2014-05-16 12:21 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I"m going to Aqua/Bike the HIM. Still going to participate in some way. No way I'm not showing up
2014-05-17 12:19 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Hello Everyone!!!

I am currently on maintenance phase and dang! we got archived cant wait till our group re-opens.

@Steve
need some advice on IM training , there guys in town who did a Full Aquabike (2.4+112) with their coach 3 weeks before IM race any significance to it?
im excited for you on IMCDA and stalk you.

@Phil
Sorry about the accident, atleast not a major recovery and still you have plenty to build for a HIM.

@Jay,
Goodluck at Pumpkinman!!

@MikeD,
Sorry about the injury , heal fast man goodluck on the Aquabike, its really getting popular more than the Duathlon.

@Mike,
Goodluck @ Boise70.3 " Cant stop now

@Linda
Hows it going whats next

@Isabella,
Have a fun ride. I am more excited about your Oly.

@Joe
Enjoy the build to HIM the journey of training is what youll miss the most after.

@Carol
Thanks to you pro bono advice on finances. I am doing IMTX this weekend as a Volunteer Bike Aid. I might do an Oly on August.

@Pam,
Im sure youll pop up before Steves IMCDA and we'll follow his race.

Happy Training everyone.

Cheers!
2014-05-17 5:58 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Damn, damn, damn, damn. Had a nice long post typed and then bloody hit that key on my computer that kills all. Damn that key.

Phil, ouch Bud. Heal well.

Mike, so sorry! Glad you will still Aquabike. Is that an option for the race or do you have a friend that will finish the run. Wish I was there to relay for you.

Steve, my good mentor, so sorry about being cooked on recovery week. You will still slay it on the build weeks tho. That’s just how you roll.

Jay, so glad you are building back up.

Carol, love your attitude Sweetie regarding the building fitness. Enjoy.

Oh Isabella, your description of the bike ride makes me want to find a ride like that. Have fun Cutie. I think you will have a great time.

Carl, you and I are both in maintenance. I love it……I hate it……

Linda, how are you feeling? You are a rock star to me!

Mike, best of luck in your race!

Did I forget anyone? Probably did. Prob included you in that post that I lost.

I’ve been pretty consistent in my run but it’s been so low mileage. The other night, I had a glorious run where I had “the lean” automatically. Loved it…but then started getting scared that traffic, neighbors, dogs, ozone depletion, etc. would interfere with that perfect state.

Steve, you will continue with mentoring, right? Please!!! I love this group.
2014-05-17 11:27 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya I'll go app to be mentor of a group again tonight.

So my first ride outside of the year on my bike...... 112 miles in 20-25 mph winds had head and cross winds for the first 4 hours. Then a 6.3 mile brick run. Sooo cooked. I met a guy on a mountain bike riding through our county so I chatted with him for a bit. He is doing a 3300 mile ride on his mountain bike, with knobby tires and a trailer with his food and tent in it etc. Interesting fellow.

One could do an aquabike full 3-4 weeks out and recover for an IM because you don't have the mary chewing your legs up. The only problem is that if you hit it too hard you could cook yourself and not quite be ready for the IM. 4 weeks out would be better than 3 weeks out. In a normal IM build you are doing a 3500 yard swim, 112 mile bike and 6 and 17 mile runs in 2 days so, you would still have to hit your long run the next day after the aquathon. I personally like to space races out a bit $$ and if you get an illness or injury you have a shot at recovering.

2014-05-17 11:27 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya I'll go app to be mentor of a group again tonight.

So my first ride outside of the year on my bike...... 112 miles in 20-25 mph winds had head and cross winds for the first 4 hours. Then a 6.3 mile brick run. Sooo cooked. I met a guy on a mountain bike riding through our county so I chatted with him for a bit. He is doing a 3300 mile ride on his mountain bike, with knobby tires and a trailer with his food and tent in it etc. Interesting fellow.

One could do an aquabike full 3-4 weeks out and recover for an IM because you don't have the mary chewing your legs up. The only problem is that if you hit it too hard you could cook yourself and not quite be ready for the IM. 4 weeks out would be better than 3 weeks out. In a normal IM build you are doing a 3500 yard swim, 112 mile bike and 6 and 17 mile runs in 2 days so, you would still have to hit your long run the next day after the aquathon. I personally like to space races out a bit $$ and if you get an illness or injury you have a shot at recovering.
2014-05-19 8:00 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Steve - Please get the band back together. Oh and I'll ask - how do you know about getting cooked after recovery week?

Carol - Nice to hear you are finding a happy place.

Carl - Thanks for the encouragement... Feeling a bit worn and could not come at a better time.

Phil - Talk about cross training.. That is a busy schedule. Sorry about the injury. How long will it keep you out?

Mike D - A little hammy issue wont keep you down. Sorry for the bad news but glad you keep us posted.

Tough week as we got back from my Mom's on mother's day, we had a nice salmon lunch only to find out that we had no water. Sirens flaring, it quickly became clear that I needed to replace the pump. This was a week long ordeal when we replaced it about 5 years ago. Set up the "A" frame over the well, started pulling it up, made the trip to Lowe's for a new pump and related stuff, and then it was too late to do much more Sunday. Anyway to spare you the gorey details, It was a very long Monday of "come-a-long", and clamp changing from 6-8 on Monday. Decided I should show my face at work Tuesday, but left early to finish and actually had water tuesday 10PM. Yeah! The physical exhaustion was tough to get over and then the thought of missing the WO's - well as Charlie Brown would say Ugh! Then top it off, My daughter had a school play to got to on saturday, and then what worked out to be a 11-5 swim meet (plus 2 hrs travel time). So an enjoyable but not really productive weekend. Should be a better week. I already have the run gear and swim stuff in a bag for tonight. Happy Training all!
2014-05-19 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Back in the pool today, and a brutal 3100 yards. didn't think I was going to make it through. very tired
2014-05-19 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Just saying hi. Spent so much time catching up on posts I've got to go get some errands in before daughter gets off the bus.

Thinking of you Mike. This can't be your first slump - and remember that you pulled out of the last one - you will pull yourself out of this one too.

Moving - less than I should, but in the game - each workout makes me want to do it again.

Mitzi
2014-05-19 11:15 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ok so I have the application in to roll over the mentor group for next round. I will be less present though as I will be out of town for a good chunk of the summer. Camping and internet connectivity do not tend to go hand in hand. The kids are looking forward to waterskiing, tubing, fishing and overeating, but will have withdrawal symptoms from minimal tech.

I have been having nasty back spasms on and off over the past week. Ya not fun, bearly got through my 17 mile run and then punted on the swim. Oh well. I took some IBprophin and iced yesterday and it is feeling ok today. It isn't the supporting main back muscles so much as the connect the right shoulderblade across the ribcage kind of thing. Very annoyinlgy painful though. Hopefully that stays at bay this week. 5 ish more weeks until IMCDA.... is both a short and long time with some ugly build weeks left. Although they are about the same as last week with longs of around 112 bike, 5200 swim and 17 or so run. I have lots of end of the year stuff to do at work (our year is July 1 to June 30) that I don't really want to do.. filing, ordering, billing etc.

2014-05-20 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Sorry to hear about the back spasms Steve I hope they clear up for you as CDA is quickly approaching.

I got back in the water (again) for the first time in a month or so. I didn't inherit Mike's fish gene so I only went a measly 500 yards but I did do a few 50's and 75's in there. I found that the longer I swam, the better I felt with my stroke. I'll try to get back into the water again tomorrow and see if I can add a few 100s as well to get my body used to being in water for longer and longer. A few hours later I took advantage of the nicer weather around here and did a quick 40min bike ride. I felt comfortable and even got into aero on a decent hill (which is a challenge for me)....I remember last year being very uncomfortable on the bike for the first 5 rides or so last year so I'll take it. Only down side is doing heavy squats before riding isn't not advised

Hope everyone is doing well.
2014-05-20 4:57 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Carl - how was IM Texas volunteering? Are you signing up for it next yr?

Pam - LOL, don't question being "in the zone" .

Steve - your windy ride reminds me of spring here in TX. 20+ winds are kinda normal this time of year here. Sorry the IM build and the work build are happening simultaneously. Sounds like a fun summer ahead! Thanks for mentoring again!

Joe - you must be a Mr. Fixit! Kerry & I have a favorite saying re: household repairs. "Hire a Professional". Sounds like you are more handy that we are though. Hope you can find a rhythm to getting the workouts in this week.

MikeD - way to jump back in the deep end swimming! Looking forward to meeting you soon and taking a nice ride.

Mitzi - I liked what you said about each workout making you want to do it again. That is a very good sign .

Jay - glad to hear you are picking up some momentum on your workouts. For swimming, have you considered building up a bit of endurance without pushing pace, and then hitting the intervals after that initial build? I've done this program a few times and really like it for building (back) up after not being in the pool for a while http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html

Nice to be swimming semi-regularly again. I don't like the hassle/time of going to the pool, but do really enjoy swimming. I'm using the plan I mentioned to Jay above once again...sort of. Jumped in at week 3 and only doing each "week" for two workouts, so should be back up to a mile straight end of next week. Could probably slog through it now, but I'm enjoying the journey and keeping my shoulders happy. Plan to go out for an OWS on Thurs, so hopefully have enough base to do some short stuff out there and feel comfortable.
2014-05-20 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Thanks for the link Carol! I used that program a little bit before my AT surgery last year and I liked it alot. It really increased my confidence for swimming a mile. For now, I'm pretty comfortable increasing yardage by 200-300 per week as Steve has suggested before and starting slowly. I like doing x number of 50's and y number of 100's to help gauge my cardio progress weekly. Eventually, I put in a set rest time between sets but I think I'm still a few weeks away from that.
2014-05-21 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Followed up yesterdays swim and bike with a long run and another swim. The run was slow but as I've said before....I need to accept that I'm a 10min mile person right now. Considering I did heavy legs and a bike yesterday, I'll take the 10:20 pace. I know it'll improve because its not my wind thats an issue when I run...its my legs....they need to pound more pavement to get themselves back into running shape I also did my first 100 in awhile in the pool...felt good with breathing but today was muscle soreness....its all progress going in the right direction right now!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 20755 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19542 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23814 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15683 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
Do you want to jump-start your New Year’s weight-loss resolution?? Then here is what it's time to do…TRAIN FOR A TRIATHLON!! Part I of a monthly series.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.