General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the purpose of close fist swim drills? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-23 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: What is the purpose of close fist swim drills?
I see these in just about all of the BT training plans? Along with Swim golf (which I understand) I am not sure what the close fist drill is supposed to be accomplishing and what I should be looking/feeling for when I do it.

2013-12-23 9:57 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: What is the purpose of close fist swim drills?

Helps you properly use your forearm in the catch phase (feel the water on the forearm) and have the optimum elbow bend through the stroke.  But a biggie is to also concentrate on body position/rotation with the closed fist stroke to really have the forward propulsion.

2013-12-23 10:29 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by Donto

Helps you properly use your forearm in the catch phase (feel the water on the forearm) and have the optimum elbow bend through the stroke.  But a biggie is to also concentrate on body position/rotation with the closed fist stroke to really have the forward propulsion.

^^^^^this
2013-12-23 10:54 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Donto

That is the purpose--proper use of the forearm as part of the "paddle" that you anchor into the water and use to move your body forward. The underside of the forearm is where you want to feel the pressure of the water on, and the underside of the forearm should be facing the back (think parallel with the back wall of the pool) for as much of the underwater part of the stroke as possible.

Think if you were hanging off a flat roof, trying to pull yourself up on it. Would it be easier if it were just your hands that were on the roof, or if your entire hands + forearms were already on the roof? Similar motion in swimming. It's going to be a lot easier and more effective if you can pull your body forward using your whole hand and forearm (and if you use your core strength to anchor your arms firmly on the roof and pull yourself up, instead of just using your arm strength).

My experience as a coach, and this is also the opinion of Swim Smooth (one of the major swimming resources for triathletes / open water swimmers), is that for the purposes of more effectively using the whole arm along with core (instead of just pulling with the hands), there are better ways to do the traditional closed-fist drill. My personal preference is to do it with a loose hand / straight wrist. This accomplishes the same purpose without these drawbacks of a fist:

- fist tends to make people c.o.c.k. their wrist at an angle; loose hand keeps back of hand/wrist/forearm in a nice straight line.

- fist tends to make people clench their hands (creating tension/stiffness all the way into the shoulder and even chest/back) and pull/fight their way through the water instead of relaxing and sharing the work through engaging the whole arm/torso to move through the water.

- loose hands still allow the fingertips and hand to "feel" and initiate the catch (beginning of in-water part of stroke)--which is exactly what they are supposed to do--but still removes them from pull effectiveness in order to focus on forearm (and upper arm).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the purpose of close fist swim drills? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

"Just Swim" or "Drill, Drill, Drill"? Pages: 1 2

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 3393 Posts: 29

2012-05-22 11:14 PM gwbuild

What's the purpose of the catch up drill? Pages: 1 2

Started by ssshaunaaa
Views: 6238 Posts: 35

2012-04-28 10:46 PM AdventureBear

Almost as fast with fist drills?

Started by kajinsky
Views: 950 Posts: 5

2012-04-13 4:17 AM psteiner

swimming: the FISTS drill

Started by clarke45
Views: 1109 Posts: 7

2011-02-16 4:30 PM Taffle

Swimming with closed fists

Started by Zane
Views: 1056 Posts: 12

2009-06-23 7:44 PM QueenZipp
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : October 5, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on the four major parts of the arm stroke in freestyle: Catch, Pull, Finish, & Recovery.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : January 22, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re adding in a bit of sprinting/anaerobic work.
date : July 9, 2008
Discussion on swimming slower, swim golf, the fist drill and shoulder pain.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : May 1, 2006
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.

date : April 17, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 5
I was humbled last year. My body shut down on me just before two World Championship events. I was originally in top form to medal in both, but my strength was sapped from me.