General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Step up from HM to Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-23 1:57 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: Step up from HM to Marathon
Can I get an opinion on how tough comparatively the step up from half to full marathon is.

This year I (in basic terms) went from couch to a spring 5k, 5k to a summer 10k and 10k to an autumn half marathon. I found the effort required to be:

Couch to Spring 5k = Horror. Running in the snow, lungs burning, slow progress. Tons of pain.
5k to 10k = piece of cake. a minor adjustment in volume. Base was there.
10k to HM = Hard work to up the long-run distance. I found the longer distance very boring. Physically it was not so bad but mentally it was tough.

What is your experience of making the next step? In now way would I find a 10k twice as hard as 5k training. But half marathon training felt more then twice as hard as 10k. is there a great magnitude in making the next jump?

2013-12-23 2:07 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Subject: RE: Step up from HM to Marathon
Howdy,
I went:
couch to 5k in 3 month.
5k to HM in 5 month
HM to 50k in 12 month

The biggest issue is most likely the fueling, as most humans have enough fuel to run somewhere around 20 miles.
If you want to go up to a Marathon and just want to finish without a set time goal, it should not be too bad.
Allow 26 weeks of dedicated training and pick a time in which training will be pleasant in your area (for example don't run most of it in a Texas summer).

2013-12-23 2:22 PM

User image

Seattle

Hmmmmm, Comparatively? That's difficult because they are VERY difficult to compare. I'm going to make a lot of generalizations in my response but keep in mind, even the same race distance is a widely different experience for people, depending on their ability and other factors.

A marathon is not simply two half marathons, much like your comment about the jump from 10K to HM (which I think have significantly more in common than the marathon/half marathon.) In addition to the challenge of running a specific pace for a specific distance, you now have the fueling variable which is significantly more important when covering longer distances.

That being said, you mentioned the longer distances being boring for you. What then, makes you want to do a marathon? It's absolutely fine to say that it's a bucket list item or simply a goal you would like to achieve at some point, but I think it's important to be able to answer that question before you start training. Unlike the other distances, I feel marathon training is really something you have to commit to. There are times when you really don't feel like getting out the door, and having a purpose is really important during these times.

Finally, for the unsolicited advice, I strongly recommend working on gradually increasing volume and consistency and incorporating it into training for some of the other distances before you move up to the marathon. Completing a marathon can be an incredibly enjoyable thing, but it can also be a really terrible experience if you aren't properly trained and I like to see people have a good experience right off the bat, and that is really easy to control with some experience and solid training. 

2013-12-23 2:50 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Burbs

Asalwed said everything I was going to say plus some other smart things. She's smart like that

2013-12-23 2:50 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Burbs

Asalwed said everything I was going to say plus some other smart things. She's smart like that

2013-12-23 3:53 PM

The jump from HM to marathon is very big. Wayyyyy bigger than the jump from 10k to HM. 

Still very doable, but you do need to be realistic with expectations. Just 'finishing' the marathon will be challenging eminently doable even without big changes to your current training regimen. 

RACING the marathon,or running the entire thing at a pace predicted by your shorter race times (like using the Mcmillan calculator, etc.) - very hard, and even harder if you're maintaining a multisport training regimen.

2013-12-23 3:56 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Originally posted by yazmaster

RACING the marathon,or running the entire thing at a pace predicted by your shorter race times (like using the Mcmillan calculator, etc.) - very hard, and even harder if you're maintaining a multisport training regimen.

Very true, forgot to note that during my first (and now my second) 50k training I cut back drastically on swimming and biking
2013-12-23 4:22 PM
in reply to: 0

Another note - I know triathletes and cyclists obsess about fueling, but it's not at all about the fueling in the marathon.

If anything, I think the marathon is a great race that really shows you how not-important fueling is for 3-4 efforts, and how crucial training volume is.

I'm not saying you should plan on going in with no nutrition plan, but something as easy as 1 gel every 45-60 minutes is totally adequate for marathon racing. If you cramp at mile 20, it's not going to be because of lack of salt, drinking water instead of gatorade at the stations, etc. It will be because you outran your training. Go to a serious marathon forum and the race reports won't be anywhere near as focused on the race nutrition as triathlon writeups.

(I'm not discounting the importance of nutrition for Ironman, or even HIM races where it can def make or break you if done incorrectly. It's just that marathons are shorter and as a result your performance will typically not be made or broken by missed nutrition. Go out to ultramarathon distance and race day fueling becomes much more important again.)

Edited by yazmaster 2013-12-23 4:22 PM
2013-12-23 4:33 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Seattle

Yeah, I agree. Nutrition won't likely make or break a marathon. But the longer races do put a "high demand on carbohydrate fuel supply, body temperature and the maintenance of adequate body fluids - all of which can affect race performances." So, it's just another factor that needs to be managed. Especially for someone who is going to take a longer time out there. 

2013-12-23 4:35 PM
in reply to: timf79

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by timf79
Originally posted by yazmaster

Very true, forgot to note that during my first (and now my second) 50k training I cut back drastically on swimming and biking

yeah, I agree. That is an excellent point. Overall training load should most definitely be taken into consideration. 

Additionally, other life things like stress and sleep.

2013-12-23 8:11 PM

You'll need to get comfortable with longer runs. I generally do audio books for my longer runs, music doesn't cut it for 2 hour plus runs. IMO, it's not more difficult than other distances. Each distance has its own difficulties. However, a lack of proper training will reveal itself much more dramatically at the marathon distance. As will poor race day execution. You can get away with screwing up both of these at shorter distances, but the margin for error is much smaller at the marathon distance.

A marathon on race day can be quite easy if you have the proper training. My last marathon, I hung out with a pace group most of the race talking to whomever wanted to chat. There is no other distance I've done where I carry on active conversations with other participants. Sure, the last few miles can be taxing. . . but its nothing compared to the pain and agony of an all-out 5k/10k effort where you're constantly balancing along the edge of blowing up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Step up from HM to Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

1st HM, 8 weeks, 2nd HM - training question

Started by GLC1968
Views: 866 Posts: 3

2011-10-17 11:41 AM GLC1968

2 steps forward and 1 step back swimming

Started by jacasa
Views: 1520 Posts: 7

2008-03-04 1:46 PM jacasa

Step by Step Instructions, please!

Started by Afletcher
Views: 1221 Posts: 2

2007-12-29 10:25 PM kproudfoot

Ocean Swimming 101 Step by Step

Started by peggyswims
Views: 724 Posts: 3

2006-03-19 8:50 PM yojimbo

10k, 1/2 Marathon warm ups?

Started by autumn
Views: 1196 Posts: 4

2004-09-30 9:40 PM slow&steady
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : August 9, 2013
author : dodgersmom
comments : 1
After 7 years, I need a break, and it's not the end of the world.
date : September 30, 2011
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : September 11, 2007
author : Team BT
Bosu Ball Step-up stability exercise with picture and video.
date : September 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.