BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2014-05-20 12:11 PM
in reply to: DaBen

User image

Chelmsford, England
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed
Originally posted by DaBen

Question for you guys: I'm increasing my distances up to 8-9 miles, but my times are dropping about 1 minute/mile. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to not let that happen (hydration, nutrition, etc)? Thanks

I suppose it depends on how well your base has been, I have found that as I do 2 speed sessions a week then my long run is getting quicker as well. I would have said that less miles more often will improve the longer run but that's only my opinion and im sure others have a better one

2014-05-21 3:02 PM

User image

, California
Finally went to the doctor. This is what I get for 4 weeks. Hopefully it will do the job and I can start running again.

(boot.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
boot.jpg (179KB - 12 downloads)
2014-05-23 4:58 AM
in reply to: MamacitaT

Simsbury, CT

Originally posted by MamacitaT Finally went to the doctor. This is what I get for 4 weeks. Hopefully it will do the job and I can start running again.

Wow, does not look good but the hopefully it does the job.  Can you bike or swim?

2014-05-23 5:03 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

Simsbury, CT

Originally posted by Jynxy
Originally posted by DaBen Question for you guys: I'm increasing my distances up to 8-9 miles, but my times are dropping about 1 minute/mile. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to not let that happen (hydration, nutrition, etc)? Thanks
I suppose it depends on how well your base has been, I have found that as I do 2 speed sessions a week then my long run is getting quicker as well. I would have said that less miles more often will improve the longer run but that's only my opinion and im sure others have a better one

Agree with Joe, it will depend on your base is.  It is normal for times to drop with distance.   In my case, a recent 5k pace for me was 7:20/mile.   two weeks ago I did a Ragnar race and during first leg, which was 10 miles, I ran at a 8:04 pace.  Here is a calculator I like to use to predict times.  I have found it fairly accurate and it also provides you with suggested training plans, if you don't already one ->https://www.mcmillanrunning.com

2014-05-23 5:06 AM
in reply to: AlexJouJou

Simsbury, CT

Originally posted by AlexJouJou
Originally posted by Armandova At safety debrief. Our team takes off at noon.
Good luck!! I hope it goes well for you. I'm sure you will hold up your 30 miles! I did another 1/2 marathon today. Knocked 1 minute off my time (LOL). It was a great race. I really loved it. I think I'm going to be a half fanatic.

I am thinking the same.  Training for a half and actually running it is so much easier than the marathon.  I am now debating wether I will do a half or a full in October. 

2014-05-27 3:53 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Good morning all, I am looking to the future.
I was wondering about how long I should wait before thinking about a full on ironman.
Should I finish this year add a 70.3 next year then go for it in 2016 ???

2014-06-05 5:00 AM

Simsbury, CT
Originally posted by JynxyGood morning all, I am looking to the future.I was wondering about how long I should wait before thinking about a full on ironman.Should I finish this year add a 70.3 next year then go for it in 2016 ???
Most of the research I did back in 2012 indicated that doing a full IM is a 3 year plan and I would agree it is a good way to go about it. However, everyone is different. I did Texas IM in May '13. Up to that point, I had only done a few Sprints and 1 Olympic in 2012. Regardless of whether you decide to do one in '15 or '16 you will need to make sure have the time to train. Depending on how active you are in each discipline, it may be 4, 5 or 6 month training plan. It takes a toll, specially the last 3 months when you start ramping up distance. If I was to do it all over again, I would have done a Half before the full.
2014-06-05 5:09 AM
in reply to: Armandova

Simsbury, CT
This past Sunday I ran a 1/2 marathon. My goal was again to stay consistent over the 13 miles and hoping for a full marathon pace of 8:30/mile. I was able to run every mile within a few seconds of one another, cadence at or above 180 steps per minute, and my overall pace was 8:04/mile. I felt great and could have gone longer. No soreness or tiredness as I normally experience after a long run. I am attributing this success to the intervals I am doing as part of my marathon training plan. This weekend I have an 18 mile run. Will see how I feel after that. Armando
2014-06-14 5:00 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by Armandova

This past Sunday I ran a 1/2 marathon. My goal was again to stay consistent over the 13 miles and hoping for a full marathon pace of 8:30/mile. I was able to run every mile within a few seconds of one another, cadence at or above 180 steps per minute, and my overall pace was 8:04/mile. I felt great and could have gone longer. No soreness or tiredness as I normally experience after a long run. I am attributing this success to the intervals I am doing as part of my marathon training plan. This weekend I have an 18 mile run. Will see how I feel after that. Armando

that is some serious speed Armandova, I can just about manage sub 8 for 5k
2014-06-22 8:37 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
well we did it a very hot 10km on lumpy seawall.

I did 51.58 and my wife finished in 1.08.51

an excellent days racing
2014-06-25 6:11 AM

Simsbury, CT

Originally posted by Jynxy well we did it a very hot 10km on lumpy seawall. I did 51.58 and my wife finished in 1.08.51 an excellent days racing

Congratulations to both you and your wife!!!

2014-06-25 6:09 PM

User image

, California
Originally posted by Jynxywell we did it a very hot 10km on lumpy seawall. I did 51.58 and my wife finished in 1.08.51 an excellent days racing
Nice job Joe!
2014-07-15 7:43 PM
in reply to: MamacitaT

Simsbury, CT

Anyone still checking in?  My A race - IMLP - is less than 2 weeks away.   It will be a slug fest as I have not been able to put in the time.  As MountainDan once did, I am going to go for a swim and if I feel like it, will go for a ride.   If all works out, I may go for a run.  How is everyone else doing?

2014-07-17 8:02 PM

User image

, California

I have been checking in to see how all of you are doing hoping to live vicariously through you.

Unfortunately, I am like Thom and cannot run until this fall and my race season was ended as soon as it began. After 6 weeks in a C-boot, I am now doing PT 2x a week and have just been approved to get back on the bike. Instead of tris, I will look for some bike tours in the next few months and hope that I can get back to racing next spring. I hope to get in a Spartan Race in January to start my year.

Keep me posted on all your accomplishments!

2014-10-20 6:52 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Ok I finished the chelmsford parks marathon and it was a lot tougher than my training. The 2 looped course (which turned into a 3 loop) was horribly laid out, I didn't like the look of it on paper and it was worse running it with the sparse mile markers and having to run around the park users on the 2nd and 3rd lap (I thought it was closed ??) other than that though my gps didn't start and it wasn't until mile 8/9 (I'm not sure it wasn't marked) that I got a signal and my legs started to ache (never have that early before teach me to take the 2 days before off work and relax) but the support on the roads was amazing!! and the water stations well run. Did I stop NO, did I walk a little YES but I loved every minute of it and seeing my family was the highlight coming over for hugs and kisses at the end, not the time I was after but he'll I'll take it. I just ran a Marathon in 4.33.03. Yee ha Thankyou
2014-11-02 11:37 AM

User image

Columbia, Missouri

I've been busy with school since June started, and that has cut down on my training (and checking in with everybody). While I wasn't able to race another tri this summer/fall, I was able to race a 1/2 marathon in September. It wasn't very well organized, and I did not train very well for it (I never got my mileage past 9 miles due to school responsibilities) but I got in at 2:15. I was able to get involved with our local cyclocross club this fall, which was an amazing way to change up my bike riding. I'd recommend everyone trying it if you enjoy new challenges. 

As for the winter, time to try to build up my base, get back in the pool (I've been out since August), and find out what races will catch my eye for 2015. 

2014-11-12 8:42 PM

Simsbury, CT

Jynxy, 

congratulations!!! Finishing, regardless of time, is much better than a DNF.  And, while your time is not what you might have wanted it, I am sure you learned from the event.    I had a similar situation with my first marathon, 4:30 or so.  Very little training -7 weeks.   It was painful.  The following year I got a training plan and  followed it pretty closely.  Same marathon a year later 3:47.   Best of luck on the next one. 

Armando

2014-11-12 8:43 PM

Simsbury, CT

Hey Derek, 

great to hear you got in the half and more importantly, that you discovered cyclocross.   Variety is the spice of life!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 15

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54404 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 36897 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.