BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2014-04-25 9:54 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN
Mike - Congrats on Chicago. The fellow I mentioned in my post to Coach says he ran the Chicago Marathon and really liked it. He's hoping to get a spot there when he makes a run to qualify for Boston.

Any thoughts or recommendations on what to look for when buying new runners/trainers? I know Coach and I are due for a new pair pretty soon.

Carlo - Have fun in your race. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

2014-04-25 10:02 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Gary - Glad your rehab is progressing and you're getting out on your bike.

Someday soon I'll have to face my fears and try out some aero bars. Good advice on the core strength. I think that is a good answer for a lot of things we do in triathlons.
2014-04-25 10:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by ransick

Who is racing this weekend besides Carlo?

I'm not racing tomorrow but I am participating in a "Prefondo". It's a warm-up ride looking ahead to a GranFondo on July 13th. There'll be 200 of us on either a 48km or 94km ride. I'm too slow for the 94 and too fast for the 48 so I'm planning to just ride for 3 hours. There will be some nasty hills to climb and at least one cattleguard to rattle the bikes on. And the finish involves a long (16km/10mi) downhill at a pretty fast clip.

I'm hoping to take some pictures if the weather is nice and clear. It's expected to be pretty cool.

Anna - Hope you're healing well and not hurting too badly. Have you ridden your Challenge bike course yet? (just interested - not pushy honest)

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-04-25 10:12 PM
2014-04-26 4:18 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pearland,Tx
Thanks for the wishes it is helpful!!!!

I needed every bit of mental strength!!!

Fellow Mentorees!!!

It was BRUTAL!!!! very Humbling ill give you fellas report tom.

Thanks again .

2014-04-26 4:50 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

Thanks for the wishes it is helpful!!!!

I needed every bit of mental strength!!!

Fellow Mentorees!!!

It was BRUTAL!!!! very Humbling ill give you fellas report tom.

Thanks again .

Congrats! That is awesome!
2014-04-27 12:47 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Originally posted by strykergtThanks for the wishes it is helpful!!!!I needed every bit of mental strength!!!Fellow Mentorees!!!It was BRUTAL!!!! very Humbling ill give you fellas report tom.Thanks again .
Big congratulations, that's very cool. Looking forward to the report

2014-04-27 6:59 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Here is my Report:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Please feel free to be blunt and frank.

Thanks

Carlo

2014-04-27 8:09 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

Here is my Report:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Please feel free to be blunt and frank.

Thanks

Carlo

Just read your race report Carlo. Nice job! You had a tough time with those hills on the bike and didn't give up. It would have been easy to quit but you showed good mental toughness and kept moving. Nice deposit in the mental toughness bank. That will help in future races when the going gets tough for whatever reason.
2014-04-27 10:33 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Carlo,

Firstly, awesome job!

It might have seemed extremely tough, but I bet you learnt something about yourself. I read your race report (and I was feeling your pain) but you kept going. Finishing a race like that is a massive achievement. Well done!! Next time you're faced with a tough race you'll know you're up for it! Not everyone can say that.

I think your post race break might be a long one...

Cheers,
Chris
2014-04-27 10:38 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by cadnams

Hi Carlo,

INext time you're faced with a tough race you'll know you're up for it!

I think your post race break might be a long one...

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris for the encouragement and ill take your advice

@ Mike thanks alot bro was thinking about your advice on the generic HIM training plan you have, could have use it to be more bike focus

Edited by strykergt 2014-04-27 10:40 PM
2014-04-27 11:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Carlo - You did great! It is really hard to predict your performance because there are so many variables. For example. If the lake is choppy your swim time will be slower. Don't worry about your swimming. It will improve slowly over time.

You did great on the bike as well. You were climbing the hills faster than I can and as everyone says, you really toughed it out. AND! Your climbing totalled 818m which is a lot of climbing. How much climbing was there in your previous HIM? As for the run, you persevered. Fantastic.

I think you'll feel better after you've had time to relax and think about all that you've learned from this race. Enjoy your recovery time.

2014-04-27 11:43 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I rode my "Prefondo" yesterday. It was fun and I felt strong for the whole ride. I stopped and took photos along the route and I'll post a couple of them as soon as I can figure out how to do it. I also have to figure out how to resize the photos first as well.

I had planned to ride for 3 hours and to ride as fast as possible but once we started I wound up guiding a group of people who were unfamiliar with the route. So I slowed down a fair bit to keep everyone together. When I finished the ride I was pleased that my time was better than the same ride last year and I know I could have been a fair bit faster still.

2014-04-28 12:22 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

I've just been catching up on the last couple of weeks and seen the ongoing topic of calf injuries.

I was feeling a bit left out so I thought I'd go a get a calf injury of my own...!

I did a local 15km (9.3 miles) running event on the weekend, had a few days off then had another run. I felt a very sharp twinge after 11km and decided to stop running (just to be safe). Another day off and then I ran again. I lasted 10km this time before I was foreced to stopped running this time. Now I've not trained at all now in 10 days and it is still giving me the odd twinge.

Off to the physio tonight. I have some knots in both calves, but the twinges should have stopped days ago. I will be interested to see what he says.

I think I am slowly learning all the basic triathlete lessons:

- Low imune system after heavey efforts and races
- The need to build a base gradually
- Overuse injuries
- Acute injuries
- Impacts of sleep (good and bad)
- Impacts of rest days
- Impacts of a good versus poor taper
- Nutritional sucesses and mistakes
- Impact of training consistently

These are all the things I've read about but I am learning them all in practice, and usually from my mistakes... I guess that's OK as long as I do learn from them. Don't want to make the same mistake twice...

2014-04-28 1:27 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by strykergt Here is my Report: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... Please feel free to be blunt and frank. Thanks Carlo

Quite frankly, Carlo, your race report is inspiring! You made it to the finish despite the pain and the exhaustion, and you're already using the experience to plan for the next one. You've set the bar pretty damn high!

2014-04-28 2:10 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Chris, good luck with the calf and hopefully the physio can work those knots out and speed the healing. I feel I'm slowly learning those lessons as well,  though i don't really learn them until I cause myself some sort of damage.  As you say though, as long as I only do it once  it's OK.

George, sounds like the prefondo was a good ride. It's nice to ride in a group, even if the pace is sometimes not exactly what you're aiming at. It's still useful training.

You asked a little while ago if I'd hit the Challenge course yet.  Not yet, but I'm heading down there with some members from the tri club in a few weeks to have the first go at it. I've been working at the hills around my home by way of building up to it, and I must admit Carlo's race report has concentrated my mind somewhat. I really must ride hills, hills, more hills. And then do some squats, leg presses, and core work as well.

2014-04-28 8:22 AM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

New user
Chris, it is funny how the calfs seem to bite you about the same point in race or training, mine will feel good for about halfway then out of nowhere I will feel twinge.
Been off of it for several days, itching to run some today if weather allows. I have purchased compression sleeves, they feel good just wearing them. I hope all is well with your injury.

I've just been catching up on the last couple of weeks and seen the ongoing topic of calf injuries.

I was feeling a bit left out so I thought I'd go a get a calf injury of my own...!

I did a local 15km (9.3 miles) running event on the weekend, had a few days off then had another run. I felt a very sharp twinge after 11km and decided to stop running (just to be safe). Another day off and then I ran again. I lasted 10km this time before I was foreced to stopped running this time. Now I've not trained at all now in 10 days and it is still giving me the odd twinge.

Off to the physio tonight. I have some knots in both calves, but the twinges should have stopped days ago. I will be interested to see what he says.

I think I am slowly learning all the basic triathlete lessons:

- Low imune system after heavey efforts and races
- The need to build a base gradually
- Overuse injuries
- Acute injuries
- Impacts of sleep (good and bad)
- Impacts of rest days
- Impacts of a good versus poor taper
- Nutritional sucesses and mistakes
- Impact of training consistently

These are all the things I've read about but I am learning them all in practice, and usually from my mistakes... I guess that's OK as long as I do learn from them. Don't want to make the same mistake twice...

2014-04-28 8:24 AM

User image

New user
Carlo, your race report is inspirational to say the least, and packed with wisdom that will help us all.

on personal note: I got full mile in with no pain, use heel strike run tech rather than forefoot, which no doubt helped, first lap time was best I have had in years, my cardio caught up with me little on 2nd lap, but still finished with good time and no further injury.

Coach

Edited by coachrains 2014-04-28 1:43 PM
2014-04-28 8:26 AM

User image

New user
George,
Sounds to me like good ride and you also helped out some other riders in need, that sounds like a successful day!

Originally posted by wenceslasz

I rode my "Prefondo" yesterday. It was fun and I felt strong for the whole ride. I stopped and took photos along the route and I'll post a couple of them as soon as I can figure out how to do it. I also have to figure out how to resize the photos first as well.

I had planned to ride for 3 hours and to ride as fast as possible but once we started I wound up guiding a group of people who were unfamiliar with the route. So I slowed down a fair bit to keep everyone together. When I finished the ride I was pleased that my time was better than the same ride last year and I know I could have been a fair bit faster still.

2014-04-28 10:26 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all!

I have gotten totally out of my training routine these last couple weeks, so am starting back up today. My race is in 2 months, so I have a lot of work to do! Going to do a run after work today, and a swim tomorrow morning. I really have no excuse except that I've been really tired (and I gave blood on Thursday so had to take a break from that).

Carlo, congrats on finishing your race. It is great that you were able to push through your pain and exhaustion. It's also wonderful to hear the volunteers were so helpful and supportive. I'm sure that makes a huge difference.

The calf injury epidemic in our group is pretty crazy! I hope you all heal well and can get back into it! Best of luck!

Happy Monday :-)
2014-04-28 6:17 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Coach Raines
Thanks for the feedback, glad your recovering slowly.

@Anna
I am glad i am able to help with my experience. I am sure you will do alot better with your HIM.

@Nicole
Yes your right without em Volunteers im totally done. I am sure you can pick up fast especially in the water.

@George
The Ascent is definitely higher than before my previous HIM ascent 558 meters. Bro congrats on the Fonda actually thats the
typical George I know that helps a pack find their way "I remembered you said theres always something exciting on your rides"

Fellow Trainees Thanks again for all the support

Cheers

Carlo

Edited by strykergt 2014-04-28 6:22 PM
2014-04-28 8:19 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hey Coach, glad you got that run in, and no pain! That's geat. Slow and steady wins the injury race I reckon.

My trip to the physio was great... The goods news is I'll be back on the bike tomorrow and running on Saturday. Then we'll reassess. Looks like my issues are partly nerve related as well as being really tight. No major muscle damage.

Can't wait to reaquaint myself with my bike!

2014-04-28 8:48 PM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Master
St. Louis

Hey Coach, glad you got that run in, and no pain! That's geat. Slow and steady wins the injury race I reckon.

My trip to the physio was great... The goods news is I'll be back on the bike tomorrow and running on Saturday. Then we'll reassess. Looks like my issues are partly nerve related as well as being really tight. No major muscle damage.

Rolling the knots out of my calves (and hamstrings) helps with the tightness.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Stick-6628-Marathon/dp/B000P7NWLM/ref=sr_...

I have one at home, one in my St. Louis office and one in my Cleveland office. :-)
2014-04-29 3:18 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

I have one at home, one in my St. Louis office and one in my Cleveland office. :-)

Awesome, thanks Mike. I have one of those blue rollers for my ITB/quad and I really like it. One for the calves would be great.

2014-04-29 7:18 AM

User image

New user
I have the same one, I need to use it more often, it has been great to work on my calf. Also great on quads after long rides.

2014-04-29 10:24 AM
in reply to: coachrains

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by coachrains

I have the same one, I need to use it more often, it has been great to work on my calf. Also great on quads after long rides.

Me 2 guilty as charged
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 20841 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 36957 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19595 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23935 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15795 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.