BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2014-04-30 8:55 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN

Hi Everyone,

Well just to buck the trend, my problem area right now is my right heel. It's been bothering me since I did my ill-advised trail half marathon in March. So I've been going easy on it, but I'm starting to worry that it's more than just plantar fascitis. Anyone know anything about heel spurs? Any advice?

I'm tired of going easy and want to start training! Signed up for my first tri this season, which is in 2 months. Plan is to do a sprint in June, and oly in Sept, and then a half marathon in Nov. I've never had a good half marathon, and I think if I train well, I should be able to set a PR (since they've all sucked!) I also think it will help me get closer to my 5k goal (31 min).

Carlo- what a hard-fought finish! Way to go! Hilly bike course versus flat bike course is very very different! And you must have run quite a bit during the run because I don't think a 13 min/mile pace is really  a walking pace.

FYI, for everyone who hasn't tried this, if your chain falls off, and if you have enough momentum to keep rolling for a bit, sometimes you can get it to go back on itself by putting the derailleur all the way the other direction it fell off. For example, if it falls off to the inside of the little ring, try setting the gear to the outer/big ring. Sometimes this works. Sometimes you still have to get off and put the dang chain back on though. (Also helps to change gears ahead of the hill!)

I've only been out on my bike once Hoping to get more riding in SOON!

Oh, and I also discovered BT's core workouts. How long have I been on this site, and I just figured this out? I am going to try and do these 2-3 times a week. Anyone want to join me? Links are on my training log.

-R

2014-04-30 9:44 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by miche033

Hi Everyone,

Well just to buck the trend, my problem area right now is my right heel. It's been bothering me since I did my ill-advised trail half marathon in March. So I've been going easy on it, but I'm starting to worry that it's more than just plantar fascitis. Anyone know anything about heel spurs? Any advice?

I'm tired of going easy and want to start training! Signed up for my first tri this season, which is in 2 months. Plan is to do a sprint in June, and oly in Sept, and then a half marathon in Nov. I've never had a good half marathon, and I think if I train well, I should be able to set a PR (since they've all sucked!) I also think it will help me get closer to my 5k goal (31 min).

Carlo- what a hard-fought finish! Way to go! Hilly bike course versus flat bike course is very very different! And you must have run quite a bit during the run because I don't think a 13 min/mile pace is really  a walking pace.

FYI, for everyone who hasn't tried this, if your chain falls off, and if you have enough momentum to keep rolling for a bit, sometimes you can get it to go back on itself by putting the derailleur all the way the other direction it fell off. For example, if it falls off to the inside of the little ring, try setting the gear to the outer/big ring. Sometimes this works. Sometimes you still have to get off and put the dang chain back on though. (Also helps to change gears ahead of the hill!)

I've only been out on my bike once Hoping to get more riding in SOON!

Oh, and I also discovered BT's core workouts. How long have I been on this site, and I just figured this out? I am going to try and do these 2-3 times a week. Anyone want to join me? Links are on my training log.

-R

Thanks Rebecca glad you checked I have not had heel problem before I would ice it though if it's me , I'm looking into having fun with sprints myself
2014-04-30 10:55 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
When I was younger I had really bad pain in my heel. Not sure if it was ever diagnosed as anything, but I had to wear heel cups in my soccer cleats, which actually helped an incredible amount. http://www.ameswalker.com/aegelhecucu.html?utm_source=google&utm_me... this is just an example, not the type I used I'm sure, but it gives you an idea. I hope that helps!
2014-04-30 10:57 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

-R

Almost forgot, I'd be down to do the core workouts! I'm currently doing a 30 day plank challenge (I did one semi recently and got up to 3 minutes, but didn't finish it out), but it never hurts to do more core stuff! I will check out your page.
2014-04-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Core is our Master! It decides who will win and who will lose! (Forgive the Toy Story reference. It just came to me!)

This is my go-to regimen. Hits what feels like all of the core areas in different ways. I started at 10 reps per exercise and had worked up to 20 reps. Back down to 12. I've really enjoyed it.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/mobile/Article.html?articleId=486

There are many others, but this one is pretty solid. Enjoy.
2014-04-30 9:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
I think i am confident to signup for IMTX Full 2015 Next year
i just did 2.1 mile swim 1:45:00

Edited by strykergt 2014-04-30 10:40 PM

2014-04-30 11:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Miche - Heel spurs are a result of repetitive injury, often associated with plantar fascia strain. They could be a problem for people with flat feet or very high arches. A common symptom could be a sharp knife or spike like pain (just in front of the calcaneus bone) upon standing after sitting/resting the foot for a while.

I had plantar fasciitis a couple times years ago and treated myself but it was slow to heal for me. You can treat it by checking your shoes - it might be time to change them. I found massage to the bottom of the foot and heel to be helpful (but you want it to be fairly firm but not painful - or use a foot roller). Maybe your husband will massage your foot? When running choose softer running surfaces and keep off your feet as much and often as possible (even if you just stand on your better foot and ease off the affected foot). You could also get an Rx for anti-inflammatories.

The main treatment would be custom orthotics but before you go that route I'd try the heel cups Nicole recommended. They should work and if not then try "Superfeet" shoe inserts and only if neither of those work then you should consider the custom orthotic route.

Just a thought - more for myself - but you could check out these HokaOneOne's for running. I don't know anything about them but I've heard some good positives.

Let us know how you make out with it.
2014-05-01 7:19 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Took the plunge. Signed up for my first sprint tri of the season in August. Might have another as a warm-up, but that'll give me the time I need to fully rehab the ankle and get some run endurance back. Pretty psyched.
2014-05-01 8:05 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

I think i am confident to signup for IMTX Full 2015 Next year
i just did 2.1 mile swim 1:45:00

Nice!
2014-05-01 9:31 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

Took the plunge. Signed up for my first sprint tri of the season in August. Might have another as a warm-up, but that'll give me the time I need to fully rehab the ankle and get some run endurance back. Pretty psyched.

Congrats!
2014-05-01 9:36 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I had pf when I first started running longer. I solved it by buying two women's softballs at Walmart. I rolled my feet on them finding all the knots and rolling around on them. I started out doing it while sitting on the couch then moved up to standing on them but supporting most of my weight on the kitchen counter. Over months I kept decreasing the amount of support I was using the counter for at which point I could stand with all my weight on the softballs and roll around on them. It did hurt quite a bit so I'm not recommending it, but it did work for me.

My feet are starting to get sore again so I need to dig the softballs back out.

2014-05-02 8:42 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by PsyTri Core is our Master! It decides who will win and who will lose! (Forgive the Toy Story reference. It just came to me!) This is my go-to regimen. Hits what feels like all of the core areas in different ways. I started at 10 reps per exercise and had worked up to 20 reps. Back down to 12. I've really enjoyed it. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/mobile/Article.html?articleId=486There are many others, but this one is pretty solid. Enjoy.

...and my conclusion is that I suck at core. I can't even do some of the exercises in the core programs that use the instability ball. I'm going to have to do some of these^^^ that don't use the ball and hopefully work my way up. That article is also linked on my page as "hard core."

2014-05-02 8:43 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by ransick I had pf when I first started running longer. I solved it by buying two women's softballs at Walmart. I rolled my feet on them finding all the knots and rolling around on them. I started out doing it while sitting on the couch then moved up to standing on them but supporting most of my weight on the kitchen counter. Over months I kept decreasing the amount of support I was using the counter for at which point I could stand with all my weight on the softballs and roll around on them. It did hurt quite a bit so I'm not recommending it, but it did work for me. My feet are starting to get sore again so I need to dig the softballs back out.

A friend recommended freezing a water bottle and rolling feet on that. Maybe the ice makes it more bearable. Pun intended.

2014-05-02 9:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by ransick I had pf when I first started running longer. I solved it by buying two women's softballs at Walmart. I rolled my feet on them finding all the knots and rolling around on them. I started out doing it while sitting on the couch then moved up to standing on them but supporting most of my weight on the kitchen counter. Over months I kept decreasing the amount of support I was using the counter for at which point I could stand with all my weight on the softballs and roll around on them. It did hurt quite a bit so I'm not recommending it, but it did work for me. My feet are starting to get sore again so I need to dig the softballs back out.

A friend recommended freezing a water bottle and rolling feet on that. Maybe the ice makes it more bearable. Pun intended.

Frozen can of veggies has worked (or soup, beans, whatever)
2014-05-03 9:45 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
For sore knees, bags of frozen corn work well.

Anyone doing anything fun this weekend?

Edited by ransick 2014-05-04 9:40 AM
2014-05-03 10:03 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Fellow Trainees

Ya'All becareful looks like the season is starting to be running recovery from injuries. The season just started take it easy

Running is the most prone to injuries

Train safely everyone!!!

2014-05-04 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by ransick Anyone doing anything fun this weekend?

I got to be a single parent while hubby did an olympic. Missed his goal by 2 min. ...maybe in part due to trying to leave transition with no bike helmet!

2014-05-04 9:41 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by ransick

I had my first decent ride back "after" calf injury. Terrible weather but I loved it. 3 hours of battling wind and riding on an angle.

Oh yeah, and I had my first swimming lesson in 30 years. Trying to improve my technique at little. Was great fun, might even get me back into the pool a little.

2014-05-05 8:40 AM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Originally posted by cadnams

Originally posted by ransick

I had my first decent ride back "after" calf injury. Terrible weather but I loved it. 3 hours of battling wind and riding on an angle.

Oh yeah, and I had my first swimming lesson in 30 years. Trying to improve my technique at little. Was great fun, might even get me back into the pool a little.

3 hours is a nice long ride! How was that calf?
Swimming lesson here and there boosts my confidence and feeling that I'm progressing. My coach runs a swim group and gave me like 10 different workouts he puts the group through, so on my swim days, I can pick what I want to work on. It's been very helpful, since I'm essentially "self coached" at this point. Enjoy!

2014-05-06 11:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All. 

I've been keeping busy and even had a 3hr bike ride on Friday.  I was quite pleased with that considering I rode the same route last year and it took 20minutes longer a year ago plus I had no calf issues at all.

Yesterday after swimming I tried a very brief run and had no twinges or pain so I'm planning a short easy run for tomorrow to kick off my return to running.  So I'm feeling fairly upbeat.  One little negative - I'm considering switching my Victoria HIM race to the Oly distance.  I've lost 4 weeks of running so I'm a bit leery of being poorly prepared for the run and I am also looking ahead to IMCalgary 70.3 which will be my "A" race.

Chris - sounds like you had a good 3hr ride as well.

Gary - Sounds like you're healing well and signing up for a race is pretty exciting.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-05-06 11:22 PM
2014-05-07 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I had a pretty decent day today.  I swam earlier and we did an 800m TT/ 600m TT/ 400m TT/ 200m TT with a 1:00 rest in between each.  I had to swim with two of the fastest people in our group which made it harder for me.  I was by far the slowest swimmer in the three lanes but I'm too fast to swim in the slow lane.  In the end my times were a bit slower than last year (when we swam the same routine).  But, I think I did pretty well considering how often I was passed by my other lane mates.  In the end I swam 2150m in the hour and I took less rest than the other two because I was always last....So, I was also pleased to notice that even though they were faster than me I still managed to maintain a steady pace whereas they were slowing down near the end of the hour.

After I came home I changed and went out for my first post muscle tear run.  I stretched before I started then walked a 300m warm-up and then started running.  I didn't push myself and was constantly monitoring how my calf felt.  At 3km my calf felt tight and at 5km I could feel the location of the original tear but both sensations quickly went away.  I felt really comfortable and even was breathing fairly easily so I kept running until I returned home and then I walked for a bit of a cool down.

In the end I ran 8.13km (5miles) in 59 minutes.  I'm very pleased with how I feel and I hope to soon be back to my normal running.

2014-05-07 9:16 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I stretched before I started then walked a 300m warm-up and then started running.  I didn't push myself and was constantly monitoring how my calf felt.  At 3km my calf felt tight and at 5km I could feel the location of the original tear but both sensations quickly went away.  I felt really comfortable and even was breathing fairly easily so I kept running until I returned home and then I walked for a bit of a cool down.

In the end I ran 8.13km (5miles) in 59 minutes.  I'm very pleased with how I feel and I hope to soon be back to my normal running.

I am not surprised how you performed in the water swim have always been your A-event, The Run up there is what i am glad about your getting back to your running pace great your doing well Goodluck on the Oly i support your decision on the downgrade good preparation for your A-HIM. GoodLuck!!!!
2014-05-08 11:32 AM

User image

New user
George sounds like a great swim to me, geez, I am impressed! Good to hear your calf is doing better, mine is feeling better too. Lost some of my mojo motivation since injury, trying to get back in training groove.

Need some advice

I am probably the worst swimmer in group, but I will say I am improving. My next sprint has 500m swim in US largest pool at Coney Island. It will be 5 X 100's. I have never done open water swim so this is next step up. I don't do flip turn in pool, so I have short breath on 25's. I am really not sure the break helps or hurts me, often I feel pretty good and wish wall wasn't there, of course I appreciate the breath when I get it.

How do you think the 100's will affect me physically and mentally, any strategies you would suggest in dealing with this increase in swim distance, I really have no way to replicate it till race day? Is is possible that it will be easier not having to fool with turns.

Thanks

Coach
2014-05-08 11:56 AM
in reply to: coachrains

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by coachrains

George sounds like a great swim to me, geez, I am impressed! Good to hear your calf is doing better, mine is feeling better too. Lost some of my mojo motivation since injury, trying to get back in training groove.

Need some advice

I am probably the worst swimmer in group, but I will say I am improving. My next sprint has 500m swim in US largest pool at Coney Island. It will be 5 X 100's. I have never done open water swim so this is next step up. I don't do flip turn in pool, so I have short breath on 25's. I am really not sure the break helps or hurts me, often I feel pretty good and wish wall wasn't there, of course I appreciate the breath when I get it.

How do you think the 100's will affect me physically and mentally, any strategies you would suggest in dealing with this increase in swim distance, I really have no way to replicate it till race day? Is is possible that it will be easier not having to fool with turns.

Thanks

Coach

Practice swimming a little slower and enjoy the swim.
2014-05-08 12:12 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey Coach,

I think if anything, you will feel like the 500 goes by much quicker than in a shorter pool. Mentally you just have to be strong and confident in your training. The little breaks every time you turn are not making that much of a difference in terms of 'rest', plus you are not having to stop and start so much (think about it, every time you turn, you are completely stopping your momentum and have to get it back again).

One of my favorite quotes is "Your body can do anything. It's your brain you have to convince." Focus on how far you've come in your training, not how different the pool is, and you will rock that race!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 20846 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 36973 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19607 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23950 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15812 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.