BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2014-05-08 7:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN
Originally posted by coachrains

I am probably the worst swimmer in group,

You Have no idea Coach Rains You might surprise yourself

Edited by strykergt 2014-05-08 7:25 PM

2014-05-08 10:39 PM
in reply to: coachrains

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Coach, I enjoy my swimming and don't consider it a work out like running or cycling.  I go 3 times per week and swim with a group "Swim Fit" similar to a Master's group but not as hard core.  Your swimming will improve just keep at it and make it enjoyable for you.

Mike has it right.  Practice slowing down and have fun.  When I first started swimming my mantra while swimming a length was, "Slow down to go faster."  It took me a long time to actually do it but it was a big break through for me when I did.  If you're running out of air while swimming then you're probably swimming too fast. 

Nicole is probably right about the 100m pool.  I train with a fellow that sometimes swims in a 50m pool and at first he didn't like it but now that he's tried it he finds he likes it.  Doing fewer turns might save you some time.  Just don't let the length of the pool intimidate you. 

Carlo - Thanks for the positives.  I really enjoyed the run and I may run again tomorrow (weather permitting).

2014-05-09 6:01 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi guys, I've been a little out of the loop lately but I think I'm back to posting again now. I've been training happily, had 2 big weeks and now into an R&R week which is nice, sleeping in to 6am is a luxury!

Coach, the "slow down" message for the swim is spot on. Don't let the extra length  of the 100m pool mess with your head, if you need a bit of a break mid-length you can always get a bit of a rest with breaststroke, doggy paddle, flip over and float on your back, whatever is best for you. 

Good to see most of the calf injuries are healing! I'm watching mine pretty carefully at the moment, I'm starting to increase run and bike distance for HIM prep and I don't want to stuff it up.

Have a good weekend everyone! 

2014-05-09 8:27 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Coach,

I don't usually give concrete advice because I'm no expert. I do have a few things to offer, though, based on my experience.

Without knowing how you swim, it's hard to tell if being out of breath is from stroking too much, stroking too fast, or swimming with poor form such that you are creating excessive drag. One way of giving us a sense is by reporting your stroke counts per 25 or per 50. Also, if you use a tempo trainer, let us know what tempo you are swimming at. Poor swim form is often the biggest energy drain. Also, make sure you are fully exhaling with your face in the water so you can get max oxygenation on your inhale. Don't hold your breath.

That being said, I agree that having some mental tricks really helps. Some people like to encourage themselves mentally. Others try to focus on swim form. Others like to distract themselves. I've had most success with distraction techniques. Some things I've tried are repeating over and over the number of the lap you are on. "This is one, this is one, ...." I have also tried counting strokes. I have also tried (don't laugh) humming or singing. I create a "set list" of songs in my head before I go. If you know your "per 100" rate, pick a song that you can sing for that much time, then switch to another. I find it helps me pace myself and not let any doubts or anxieties settle in. Some people pray. Find something that works for you and give it a try.

For what it's worth.

Gary
2014-05-09 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by PsyTri. Some things I've tried are repeating over and over the number of the lap you are on. "This is one, this is one, ...." 

Maybe if I did that I wouldn't continually lose track of what lap I'm on! It's amazing, I cannot count to two while swimming!

Coach, I've done a fair amount of switching between 25 m pool and 50 m pool (although not for quite a few years). My first reaction when swimming the 50 m pool always is, "where the heck is the wall?!?" It's just a perception thing, if you're used to swimming the shorter distance, the length feels long at first. Probably also has to do with how your brain works. Maybe if you pay more attention to number of laps, it will seem shorter overall. My brain must be different from Nicole's.

A lot of good advice already given. How to mentally prepare? Hm... if you count strokes per lap, then you will have an idea of how far you've gone without having to stop and look. Just keep in mind your 50 m stroke count is not just 2 x your 25 m stroke count because you don't have a push off the wall in the middle. In terms of stroke efficiency, FWIW, I am a solid middle of pack swimmer and I do about 17 strokes in 25 yd. Sounds like a great step up! Enjoy!

Edited by miche033 2014-05-09 10:30 AM
2014-05-09 10:30 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

So I got a new suit!

http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23419726#.U2zutM5nA1Y

Different from a tri suit in that there's no bike padding, but I think I could probably do a sprint in it. I'll have to try some transitions.

So anyway, decided to try it today. I did 8 x 100 yd free with 1:00 min rest to get the average. (This is how I track my swimming progress.) Last year, while I was training for a HIM, my average dropped from 1:56 to 1:47 over 3+ months. I got some help with form too. Not counting the last two weeks, I have done almost NO swimming since October. Today's average was 1:44!! WTF? So either this suit is amazing OR the 20 lbs I put on after my HIM give me some great buoyancy. (No one warned me about this post-race weight gain.)

Not saying gaining 20 lbs is a good racing tip. It comes back to bite you on the bike and run, that's for sure!

Happy Friday everyone! Have a great training weekend!

-R

2014-05-10 8:57 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hi guys /gals,

Do you ever feel like everyone around you is improving, and you aren't...? I've had two situations in the last week where two different friends of mine have shown amazing improvement, and I am seeing essentially no improvement at all.

One guy's max average bike speed went from 31.5 to 34.2 in the last two weeks (same bike course, and basically the same conditions). And the 34.2 was over a significantly longer distance as well...! How do you get that sort of improvement? This guys is a long term cyclist so its not like its just initial improvement for him.

Then my other mate, who did say 8 or 10 training runs of 5-6km each over about a month, turned around and ran a 24km race. How is that even possible? He's not a regular runner, and has not really been doing that much cycling either.

I'm super happy for them, I'm just very jealous. I train hard and put in the same sort of hours as these guys, and frankly I have been training lately with more of a plan than either of them. I am just feeling a little frustrated with it today.

One thing I don't have in my plan is regular TT's or other ways to track progress, I know I should have them and now I think I will add this aspect.

2014-05-10 11:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

MICHE!  17 strokes per 25yds excellent!  I've gotten close a few times but I mostly manage 24 per 25m and when I'm trying to swim fast I go up to 27-ish.  I can only manage the lower stroke counts when I swim really slow.  AND(!) you're fast too.  My best 100m so far was 1:55 and I couldn't do it twice.

How did your husband's race go?  Is he on BT?  Will he write a race report? 

Coach - While I was swimming yesterday I was thinking about your impending race (and forgetting what length I had just swum) and I thought I should mention you should consider a second pair of goggles with the smokey lenses in case you get bright sunshine on your race day.  Its less critical in a pool because sighting won't be as much of an issue but for OWS it is a good idea.

2014-05-11 12:55 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms in the group!
2014-05-11 7:45 PM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by cadnams Hi guys /gals, Do you ever feel like everyone around you is improving, and you aren't...? I've had two situations in the last week where two different friends of mine have shown amazing improvement, and I am seeing essentially no improvement at all. One guy's max average bike speed went from 31.5 to 34.2 in the last two weeks (same bike course, and basically the same conditions). And the 34.2 was over a significantly longer distance as well...! How do you get that sort of improvement? This guys is a long term cyclist so its not like its just initial improvement for him. Then my other mate, who did say 8 or 10 training runs of 5-6km each over about a month, turned around and ran a 24km race. How is that even possible? He's not a regular runner, and has not really been doing that much cycling either. I'm super happy for them, I'm just very jealous. I train hard and put in the same sort of hours as these guys, and frankly I have been training lately with more of a plan than either of them. I am just feeling a little frustrated with it today. One thing I don't have in my plan is regular TT's or other ways to track progress, I know I should have them and now I think I will add this aspect.

It took me a while to figure out that 31.5 to 34.2 was in km per hr, haha! I first thought, dang, who averages that fast?!

Anyway... maybe he just had a good day. In my experience it's all about volume and building on a base. But I'm pretty slow, so...

But yes, regular ways to track progress is a good thing to do. A mile run on a track, 8 x 100s in the pool, a standard relatively flat bike course are what I have been using to track progress. There may be better/alternate ways.

2014-05-11 7:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by wenceslasz

MICHE!  17 strokes per 25yds excellent!  I've gotten close a few times but I mostly manage 24 per 25m and when I'm trying to swim fast I go up to 27-ish.  I can only manage the lower stroke counts when I swim really slow.  AND(!) you're fast too.  My best 100m so far was 1:55 and I couldn't do it twice.

Thank you! Swimming has always been my strong sport of the 3.

Hahaha, no hubby is not on BT. That's way too organized for him. He keeps track of workouts by writing his times on a piece of paper taped near his desk.

2014-05-11 8:58 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Chris

Theres really alot of factors in biking and riding .We can really just do our best. On the same flat route i always do i am always +/- 1 mph. I am just doing hills now i figured if i am not going back home with sore legs i did not do enough. In my situation i only compare myself with myself to check if im improving . I am, sure you will still do well in the totality of Tri's .Goodluck on the training man!!!

@Rebecca
Good job in the swim ill always admire how fast women are in the water you fishies can just be flawless out there. I dont blame your old school husband reminds me of my brother in law in town all he had in training is a cats eye that came with the bike and casio watch thats has a stopwatch function he just finished IMTX-Full.

@Anna
Glad your healed up!!

@Gary
I am excited about your first sprint of your season i like it how you redline a sprint. looking forward to your RR.

@George
Hows your run man!!

Happy Mothers Day to All!!!!!

Cheers

Edited by strykergt 2014-05-11 9:04 PM
2014-05-12 8:58 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

New user
Originally posted by PsyTri

Coach,

I don't usually give concrete advice because I'm no expert. I do have a few things to offer, though, based on my experience.

Without knowing how you swim, it's hard to tell if being out of breath is from stroking too much, stroking too fast, or swimming with poor form such that you are creating excessive drag. One way of giving us a sense is by reporting your stroke counts per 25 or per 50. Also, if you use a tempo trainer, let us know what tempo you are swimming at. Poor swim form is often the biggest energy drain. Also, make sure you are fully exhaling with your face in the water so you can get max oxygenation on your inhale. Don't hold your breath.

That being said, I agree that having some mental tricks really helps. Some people like to encourage themselves mentally. Others try to focus on swim form. Others like to distract themselves. I've had most success with distraction techniques. Some things I've tried are repeating over and over the number of the lap you are on. "This is one, this is one, ...." I have also tried counting strokes. I have also tried (don't laugh) humming or singing. I create a "set list" of songs in my head before I go. If you know your "per 100" rate, pick a song that you can sing for that much time, then switch to another. I find it helps me pace myself and not let any doubts or anxieties settle in. Some people pray. Find something that works for you and give it a try.

For what it's worth.

Gary

This morning I was hitting anywhere from 18 to 20 strokes per 25 meters, that was with good push off side, out little past flags. I have been working on my drag, and I think I am getting better. Swimming with pool bouy is still so much easier than without.
LOL no way I could remember words to a song during all that. I do use ipod music to swim to when I workout.
If I get in groove with sounds of breathing and water it helps, of course during triathlon it is hard with all the thrashing around you

Thanks
2014-05-12 9:00 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Coach - While I was swimming yesterday I was thinking about your impending race (and forgetting what length I had just swum) and I thought I should mention you should consider a second pair of goggles with the smokey lenses in case you get bright sunshine on your race day.  Its less critical in a pool because sighting won't be as much of an issue but for OWS it is a good idea.

Thanks, just so happens I have a darker pair that I work out in, my eyes are very light sensitive
2014-05-12 11:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Coach - It sounds like you're making great progress in the pool.  Fantastic!  Don't worry about your dependence on the pull buoy, when you start swimming in open water in a wetsuit you'll find it gives you much the same advantage.  I find I'm about 10 - 12% faster in my wetsuit in an OWS than I am in the pool (without a pull buoy).  I found it interesting that your eyes are light sensitive because mine are very sensitive as well (blue eyes).  When I was young I had issues every winter with snow blindness.  At times I'd go outside and I couldn't even open my eyes.

Carlo - I haven't run since Wednesday and I was supposed to run today but my calves were sore today after my bike ride yesterday so I put the run off to Wednesday and Friday will be a big test because I'm supposed to run for 1:30.

Chris - I do understand your frustration with your friends progress.  It is important to keep track of what you do so you can see your own progress but I also find that improvements seem to come in small leaps forward rather than a gradual predictable progression.  Just trust that so long as you keep working at it you are progressing even if you can't see it or quantify it.  However, I do love to see some positive quantification, eh.

All - I've had some fun swims over the last few days.  I've been swimming with a couple friends (within a larger group).  There's Lisa who is very similar in pace and ability to me but lately we've been swimming with Prudence (I can't say her name without hearing the Beatles "Dear Prudence").  Prudence is a huge inspiration.  I can't remember her exact age but she is very near but not over 84(!) and today the three of us were swimming in circles in the same lane and every time I looked back as I turned at the wall I'd see Lisa coming and right behind her was Pru keeping up with us every stroke of the way.  She also did Ironman Canada a few years ago (I think she just swims now).  She's pretty phenomenal and I'll be really happy if I can swim like her when I'm her age...in a few weeks....okay not that soon but pretty soon.

Cycling tomorrow.

2014-05-13 12:59 PM

User image

Coach,

18 to 20 is a pretty good starting point as far as I'm concerned. (That's where I'm at). It could be lower still, according to my coaching, but that takes a fair amount of effort and targeted practice. My coach is a total immersion guy, and I've found a lot of those drills very helpful with balance, timing, and reducing drag. Also, the tempo trainer is very helpful to me. That being said, if it's not financially prohibitive, it might be worth one or two individual lessons with a good local swim/tri coach. They should be able to rapidly assess your swimming and give you tips for self-correction.

The only other thing I'd share, for what it's worth (especially since you were not asking!), is that as your race approaches, you might consider leaving the ipod at home and practice whatever mental routines/mantras/coping skills you will use the day of your race. That way, the mental part will be an ingrained part of your swim routine in addition to the physical. It worked for me. Maybe it will work for you. My first sprint I panicked in the open water. My second, I had rehearsed repeatedly how to handle different anxiety scenarios and the swim was peaceful and focused -- like getting kicked, getting off course, starting too fast, getting panicky, swallowing water, etc. I visualized how I would handle it and did a lot of mental rehearsal as well (e.g., mantras, songs, etc.). You could even estimate how many strokes the swim portion will take and just count while swimming.

Hope this is helpful

Hope this helps.

2014-05-13 1:10 PM

User image

On another note, I'm looking for a good 10 week sprint plan. Thinking 2x swim, 2x run, 2x bike each week.

I'm just re-building the run as I finish my ankle rehab. Currently, I'm building run-walk back up to about 3.5 mile run. Will be there in another week or so. Swimming is no problem. Biking is new on road bike. 35 minutes or so at present. Need to build more.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
2014-05-14 5:21 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by PsyTri On another note, I'm looking for a good 10 week sprint plan. Thinking 2x swim, 2x run, 2x bike each week. I'm just re-building the run as I finish my ankle rehab. Currently, I'm building run-walk back up to about 3.5 mile run. Will be there in another week or so. Swimming is no problem. Biking is new on road bike. 35 minutes or so at present. Need to build more. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe build your own plan? You know where you're at, where you need to be, and how long you've got. I found Mike's spreadsheet (link way back in the earlier pages of the group) very useful in planning out my training as none of the pre-made plans I found suited my timetable and weaknesses. I do a 2x swim, 2x bike and 2x run per week most of the time, basically 1 long slow and one shorter more intense workout in each discipline each week. I have an overall calendar to tell me my goal distances for the long ride and run, sticking to the 10% rule, and I juggle workouts according to time available.  

Just my 2 cents, but it seems to be working for me.

2014-05-14 9:54 AM

User image

New user

Coach,

18 to 20 is a pretty good starting point as far as I'm concerned. (That's where I'm at). It could be lower still, according to my coaching, but that takes a fair amount of effort and targeted practice. My coach is a total immersion guy, and I've found a lot of those drills very helpful with balance, timing, and reducing drag. Also, the tempo trainer is very helpful to me. That being said, if it's not financially prohibitive, it might be worth one or two individual lessons with a good local swim/tri coach. They should be able to rapidly assess your swimming and give you tips for self-correction.

The only other thing I'd share, for what it's worth (especially since you were not asking!), is that as your race approaches, you might consider leaving the ipod at home and practice whatever mental routines/mantras/coping skills you will use the day of your race. That way, the mental part will be an ingrained part of your swim routine in addition to the physical. It worked for me. Maybe it will work for you. My first sprint I panicked in the open water. My second, I had rehearsed repeatedly how to handle different anxiety scenarios and the swim was peaceful and focused -- like getting kicked, getting off course, starting too fast, getting panicky, swallowing water, etc. I visualized how I would handle it and did a lot of mental rehearsal as well (e.g., mantras, songs, etc.). You could even estimate how many strokes the swim portion will take and just count while swimming.

Hope this is helpful

Hope this helps.

great advice, I have had coach working with me some, it has helped

Thanks
2014-05-14 9:57 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by miche033

Originally posted by PsyTri. Some things I've tried are repeating over and over the number of the lap you are on. "This is one, this is one, ...." 

Maybe if I did that I wouldn't continually lose track of what lap I'm on! It's amazing, I cannot count to two while swimming!

Coach, I've done a fair amount of switching between 25 m pool and 50 m pool (although not for quite a few years). My first reaction when swimming the 50 m pool always is, "where the heck is the wall?!?" It's just a perception thing, if you're used to swimming the shorter distance, the length feels long at first. Probably also has to do with how your brain works. Maybe if you pay more attention to number of laps, it will seem shorter overall. My brain must be different from Nicole's.

A lot of good advice already given. How to mentally prepare? Hm... if you count strokes per lap, then you will have an idea of how far you've gone without having to stop and look. Just keep in mind your 50 m stroke count is not just 2 x your 25 m stroke count because you don't have a push off the wall in the middle. In terms of stroke efficiency, FWIW, I am a solid middle of pack swimmer and I do about 17 strokes in 25 yd. Sounds like a great step up! Enjoy!

that is what I figured, it would be more psychological than anything. I would get so far then start guessing where can the wall or pause be, hard to mentally prepare for that, I will work on counting strokes, but even that will change when I lose push off side

Thanks
2014-05-14 11:17 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis

On another note, I'm looking for a good 10 week sprint plan. Thinking 2x swim, 2x run, 2x bike each week.

I'm just re-building the run as I finish my ankle rehab. Currently, I'm building run-walk back up to about 3.5 mile run. Will be there in another week or so. Swimming is no problem. Biking is new on road bike. 35 minutes or so at present. Need to build more.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can check out the free BT plans or create your own. For a balanced 2x plan, I would do something similar to the following.

Mon - Rest - legs should be shot after a long ride and run on the weekend
Tue - swim - still resting your legs
Wed - medium run should be 50-67% of your long ride/run
Thur - medium ride should be 50-67% of your long ride/run
Fri- swim
Sat- long ride
Sun- long run - you can switch days or ride and run, but I like to run on tired legs like you will be doing during the race

Build 10-20% per week, reduce volume ~25% every 4th week.

Once a sprint plan is easy, I like to use Oly plans to train for a sprint. Makes it easier to go all out for the duration of a sprint.

2014-05-15 12:26 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

OK, trying to stretch out the run distances I'm doing at the moment, and practice nutrition at the same time. 12k run for me this morning, experimenting with various foods. The energy gels I've tried don't sit too well with me, and I hate getting sticky hands, so I'm trying real food. So far dates are good, and fig rolls and pretzels, while a little dry, also seem to go down OK and help with fuelling. Anyone got any other favorites? 

2014-05-15 10:31 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by Taringa

OK, trying to stretch out the run distances I'm doing at the moment, and practice nutrition at the same time. 12k run for me this morning, experimenting with various foods. The energy gels I've tried don't sit too well with me, and I hate getting sticky hands, so I'm trying real food. So far dates are good, and fig rolls and pretzels, while a little dry, also seem to go down OK and help with fuelling. Anyone got any other favorites? 

Banana and peanut butter cookies are what I used during HIM. Banana fits well in the cleavage out of transition, haha. But I do most eating on the bike and then rely on calories in my drink on the run. I have to be real careful with my tummy while running...

I haven't tried it yet, but here in the US we have all these pouched baby foods. Like apple sauce in a pouch-you can unscrew the cap and suck it down. We have some left over that my 2 yr old won't eat anymore so I'm going to try them at some point. Anyone else try these?

2014-05-15 3:08 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I've had good luck with dates. I've also experimented with making my own drink using maltodextrin (used to make beer) and adding flavor like crystal light. I don't quite have it dialed in.
2014-05-17 5:18 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Here's an attempt to attatch some pics of where I often ride. Open country roads last Sunday morning

(road1a20%.jpg)

(road2 20%.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
road1a20%.jpg (63KB - 6 downloads)
road2 20%.jpg (126KB - 7 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 20781 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 36890 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19555 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23852 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15720 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.