BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2014-04-13 2:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by BrotherTri fyi.... I changed the start of my training from Sunday (BT default) to Monday.....I did this to align with Strava also maybe just a cjange.....I also think it is better because most races are on Sundays......Anyone do this, thoughts?

I didn't realize that you could change it - I am going to do the same.  

Not that it changes much, but I like to think of my weeks in the same way whether I'm on Strava or BT!  Thanks!

Matt

You're welcome.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-04-13 2:48 PM

2014-04-13 3:23 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by BrotherTri fyi.... I changed the start of my training from Sunday (BT default) to Monday.....I did this to align with Strava also maybe just a cjange.....I also think it is better because most races are on Sundays......Anyone do this, thoughts?

James - I have always done the same thing. Calendars that split the weekend drive me nuts. For years it was the single thing I hated about the iPhone, and Apple only JUST fixed it in the most recent OS - I always kept the region format set to UK, which caused a few other bits of weirdness, but at least the eek started on Monday. I am pretty sure my compulsion comes from planning weekly workout schedules, and again, splitting the weekend visually stinks for that. I mean the weekend is one thing, right? At least for triathletes....

2014-04-13 4:11 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm a Monday to Sunday guy too.

Got the progression run done, all sorts of fun to be had there!  Ended up getting 22.4 km in total and feeling pretty darn good about it.

2014-04-13 4:52 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Thanks guys for checking in on me. Was 4th ou of the water not sure how with a :30. But Potts swam :22 so not long. Bike was very windy. Headwind or substantial cross wind for 90% of the ride. Sore arms from controlling the aero bars. I ran well at Oceanside last year but since then they've all sucked. All runs following a bike based on power. So I seem to be doing something wrong - ie overcoolong the bike. But I knew on me 2 that the run just wasn't there. Then again, I have a lot less training than last year, and two weeks ago had an ng tube down my throat, so I'll take what I get at this point. Off for hurricanes!
2014-04-13 5:32 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM Thanks guys for checking in on me. Was 4th ou of the water not sure how with a :30. But Potts swam :22 so not long. Bike was very windy. Headwind or substantial cross wind for 90% of the ride. Sore arms from controlling the aero bars. I ran well at Oceanside last year but since then they've all sucked. All runs following a bike based on power. So I seem to be doing something wrong - ie overcoolong the bike. But I knew on me 2 that the run just wasn't there. Then again, I have a lot less training than last year, and two weeks ago had an ng tube down my throat, so I'll take what I get at this point. Off for hurricanes!

Absolutely great swim and terrific race - especially given the bolded above!  

Enjoy a well earned hurricane (or two).  

Matt

2014-04-13 9:44 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by ChrisM Thanks guys for checking in on me. Was 4th ou of the water not sure how with a :30. But Potts swam :22 so not long. Bike was very windy. Headwind or substantial cross wind for 90% of the ride. Sore arms from controlling the aero bars. I ran well at Oceanside last year but since then they've all sucked. All runs following a bike based on power. So I seem to be doing something wrong - ie overcoolong the bike. But I knew on me 2 that the run just wasn't there. Then again, I have a lot less training than last year, and two weeks ago had an ng tube down my throat, so I'll take what I get at this point. Off for hurricanes!

SUPER DUPER CHRIS TROOPER!

It was a tough few weeks and days before this race, for sure, but as always ... you were tougher

2014-04-14 5:55 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by ChrisM

Thanks guys for checking in on me. Was 4th ou of the water not sure how with a :30. But Potts swam :22 so not long. Bike was very windy. Headwind or substantial cross wind for 90% of the ride. Sore arms from controlling the aero bars. I ran well at Oceanside last year but since then they've all sucked. All runs following a bike based on power. So I seem to be doing something wrong - ie overcoolong the bike. But I knew on me 2 that the run just wasn't there. Then again, I have a lot less training than last year, and two weeks ago had an ng tube down my throat, so I'll take what I get at this point. Off for hurricanes!

Nice Job Chris!
2014-04-14 7:47 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
So how was everybody's weekend?......Chris again nice job! Recover well......I finish another 2 high volume week and some how landed on Strava's Slowtwitch group leaders board as #2.....Was not trying and only just doing my own thing.......The next couple of week volume going to drop a little as I try to put some speed on.......Should be fun.......Any advice for speed work?
2014-04-14 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BrotherTri So how was everybody's weekend?......Chris again nice job! Recover well......I finish another 2 high volume week and some how landed on Strava's Slowtwitch group leaders board as #2.....Was not trying and only just doing my own thing.......The next couple of week volume going to drop a little as I try to put some speed on.......Should be fun.......Any advice for speed work?

Shane's usual progression for adding speedwork to my workouts seems to be something along these lines.

First, start doing 4-6 x 30s strides (around 5k pace) with 2:00 between.  Those tend to remain until we get heavy into the hard stuff

Next, add some T-pace work.  I think this time around the first time I did 10 mins in the middle of a workout.  15' ez, 10 at T pace, 15 ez.  and have worked up to 20 mins.

We're trying to get some faster stuff in but need the #$%^ snow to get off the track.

2014-04-14 8:02 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by BrotherTri So how was everybody's weekend?......Chris again nice job! Recover well......I finish another 2 high volume week and some how landed on Strava's Slowtwitch group leaders board as #2.....Was not trying and only just doing my own thing.......The next couple of week volume going to drop a little as I try to put some speed on.......Should be fun.......Any advice for speed work?

Shane's usual progression for adding speedwork to my workouts seems to be something along these lines.

First, start doing 4-6 x 30s strides (around 5k pace) with 2:00 between.  Those tend to remain until we get heavy into the hard stuff

Next, add some T-pace work.  I think this time around the first time I did 10 mins in the middle of a workout.  15' ez, 10 at T pace, 15 ez.  and have worked up to 20 mins.

We're trying to get some faster stuff in but need the #$%^ snow to get off the track.

Surely you are quite adept with a shovel by now.

2014-04-14 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
James, your volume is impressive. Mind me asking what you do for work? I think I'd be divorced pretty quickly if I tried to pull that off

This weekend, the weather in CT was awesome. I was able to get a nice 50 miler in Saturday and then get another Crit race in on Sunday, and then yard work and logging in the back yard all afternoon.
I pulled out another win and am requesting an early upgrade based on my results (from the suggestion of some others), so we will see. Pace was higher overall this week after I put an initial attack in on the second lap. It woke everyone up and there were a handful of guys with me taking turns at the front. We strung it out and lapped a couple guys. I saved just enough for the sprint and was able to jump twice to cover a couple moves and recover just enough to launch hard for the final sprint.

2014-04-14 8:11 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

Master
Northern IL

Almost good enough to go outside Saturday. Temps were good here, but had a storm going through. Way too much electricity in the air at the time I would have been riding and I thought it was near dusk at one point based on the light coming in, but remembered it was actually late morning. Soon.

2014-04-14 8:28 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Chris - great race (again!).  Jay - great race (wow).  James - do you sleep?  Ben - Spring will come soon… soon...

Was a great weekend here.  Spent a couple plus hours at the pool yesterday for a swim-aquajog-swim brickset (with 700 of hard kick in the first swim).  You know you've been in the pool a long time when you've shared the lane with 3 different people in one workout!    Then got a nice 90' ride in the GORGEOUS afternoon weather (30' hard tempo, 60' AE finish).  

The ride was encouraging, as my power is close enough to what I'd hoped at this point in the season:  270W at 20' and 260W at 30' - for me, that was good (as it wasn't a "test" ride).  I might JUST be able to pull it out for a 6/8 race (have to work on the endurance).   Provided I can run, that is…  Ortho at 1100 today, so hope to know more soon.

And can I say that I'm actually starting to LOVE kick sets?!?  My legs are trashed after yesterday - love it!

Matt

2014-04-14 8:35 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Just asked this in TT, as well, but wondering if anyone has a recommendation for swim cords.  I'm traveling with family next week (April vacation!) and won't be able to easily find a pool...

Best for travel?  Best at home (if some are good but perhaps bulky?)?

Never used them before, so this will be a new experience...

Thanks!

Matt

2014-04-14 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Jay nice job!....Congratulations on another win and moving up.....When I raced in the mid 80's we all started at CAT lV.....Some of the rules you stated before sound familiar......I went from a CAT lV to a CAT ll in less than 2 years......Mostly all Crit races.....I was a dominant rider and would pretty much control the race.....I was not the fastest guy out there but could out Vo2 the lot......Bell lap was always the craziest......I had to jump frist then I could hold off the fast guys......By the end of the season......The start of the sprint got longer and longer as they figured me out.......I was with a few teams, but they were weak as Crits go......I almost lost a few Crit races using the team, but in circuit and road races they were invaluable.
2014-04-14 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Jay to answer your question I'm aquatics director in the morning and a personal trainer at night.

2014-04-14 9:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Matt sure I sleep. I take cat naps doing kick sets in the swim and when I am not pull on the front of the bike. The run is the tough one. So far I have only been able to nap going down hills.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-04-14 9:13 AM
2014-04-14 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Arend, thank you. Sounds like some stuff I do already...strides and pickups or progressions.
2014-04-14 10:02 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Just asked this in TT, as well, but wondering if anyone has a recommendation for swim cords.  I'm traveling with family next week (April vacation!) and won't be able to easily find a pool...

Thanks!

Matt

I really like the Halo ones--have taken 'em all over the world and they've stood up very well to 3 years of abuse. I also prefer the flat handle to a paddle--paddles let your hands be lazier on the pull instead of forcing a nice vertical hand-strengthening position.

2014-04-14 11:08 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Wow, all you guys are sooo impressive!!!!!

James, Jay nailed it, your volume is just insane!!!!

Jay, told you at the race, but Congrats again anyway.

Ben, hang in there, spring is almost here, i promise!!!

Well, spring crits are done, time to concentrate on triathlon things

I need a little more endurance, so longer easier rides are on tap.

Gonna keep on the running trend i am on, legs feel good, i am running well and comfortable.

I really need to swim.

weight is under control, 214 this am, so that puts me on track for a solid 200lbs for my June half. While it will be 10lbs heavier than i wanted, it will still be the lightest i have been in 10 years

Keep up the good work boys and girls!!!!
2014-04-14 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Originally posted by ChrisM

Dood, you get your own post!!! Great job!!! I have been a big fan of yours since i started on this site back in 2008.

Keep up the great work and congrats for having a good race when you were beat up just a few weeks ago!!!

2014-04-14 1:41 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Thanks!

Matt

Matt: I have some: it is a single red red cord with a handle on each end. I keep them in my swim bag. I have a hard start and stop at masters, so I get there early sometimes and use. Them to warm up, and always use them to warm down. That let's me make the best use of the 1.5 hours I have in the water actually swimming. I tie one end to the pole that holds the flags up in the air. My coach sent me a video ling a long time ago to some warm up/warm down exercises - I will see if I can find it and post it up if you like.

2014-04-14 1:46 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Chris - congratulations again on mission accomplished. With the past few weeks you have "enjoyed" leading up to the race there are many that would have bailed. Really impressed with how you regrouped after the illness and got it done on race day. I hope you survived the hurricane(s)
2014-04-14 1:48 PM

User image

Seattle

Are you talking about running? 

If so, what is the purpose? (Like increasing LT, improving V02 max, simply working on faster turnover etc.) There are different types of workouts that stress different "systems."

I'd definitely read Jack Daniel's Running Formula. You won't regret it. 

As mentioned, adding some strides to your workouts is a great, relatively low stress way to add some speed. 

2014-04-14 1:54 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

My running is tapering down.

Did 10 miles Saturday. 6 at 6:50, 1 at 6:20.

Saturday did 13, easy. 

Now putting efforts into things like eating well and drinking lots of water

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 20907 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37074 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19653 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24059 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15875 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.