BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2014-05-16 7:42 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by TankBoy

Just signed up with a local tri club (that i had joined but hadn't done anything with yet) they have a Tour of California stage 7 pre-ride of the course before the pros, in connection with a couple other clubs.   85 miles, 8K elevation, fully sagged and supported, mechanics, with lunch after.  A bit nervous as I'm not the type to make new friends easily and flying this one solo, and hoping I can hold my own on the bike.

Chris, I am not really a meeter and greeter on group/organized rides either, but you will have fun regardless. Do a little work now and again and you will DEFINITELY make friends. I am "fortunate" in that the handful of folks that I ride with regularly aren't really that social when they ride either. I was riding with a good friend a few years ago, and somewhere around the 80 mile mark I said to him, "My legs hurt." He replied to me, "Mine do too." That was the entirely of our conversation for the whole ride - no lie. We still laugh about it.

My type of riding.  There's one british guy we ride with, nice enough guy, but he just never futs the shuck up.  I avoid riding with him whenever possible.

I am actually trying to decide what to do next, as there's really only one guy in our group, about 15 years younger than me, that can really push me.  He's mving overseas in a month.  Everyone else seems to want to soft pedal these days, so I'll really be stuck with a pretty slow group if I stay with them.  I like the idea of being pushed in a group of roadies, but am pretty intimated by the large roadie group here that's pretty freaking serious, KOM type guys.   I can train solo, but sometimes it's nice to have a rabbit, or to be the rabbit....

Totally agree with this.  I hardly ever ride with more than 1-2 people, but we always "attack" each other form time to time which is fun.

2014-05-17 5:55 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

Is this group opening up a new thread in the new spring/summer mentor section?

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do.

2014-05-17 11:17 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Chris, I think you should go with the faster roadies. It will make you a better cyclist. With your power you should be fine unless you hit any serious climbing and they launch hard attacks. If it is a really big group and the terrain gets rough it might break up into two groups. One of the bigger ones around here schedules an A/B/C group and the A/B goes off on the same route and then naturally breaks up if it is a harder and hillier course. It is easy enough to sit in on flats and put work in if you feel the need otherwise. It might take you a couple times for your body to get used to the surging. That was probably the biggest difference for me. As a TT bike solo rider guy myself for a couple years, I got really used to just humming around at steady tempo a lot of the time. With the roadies you sometimes end up with a much lower average speed, but a much higher training load because you are going easy/moderate and then anaerobic clinging on for life and then back down. Sort of have to figure out how that type of riding fits into your overall plan as a triathlete and make sure you still are getting your solo steadier work in.

I faced the same issue as you. There are a lot of triathletes that are pretty average on the bike around here and I end up just doing an easy ride if I stay with them or I need to go off on my own to get any proper efforts in.

For the record, I'm not a big chat it up kind of guy either unless I'm on a social part of the ride. I've found it is pretty standard for the roadies to open up slowly and chatty and then get to work and everyone is quiet and remains quiet as a newer guy but then once you are still there at the end of the ride and taking turns at the front, you sort of earn your stripes and will be assimilated into the group. Just keep it steady, don't let gaps form and conform to the rhythm the best you can.
2014-05-17 1:41 PM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by JAYCTChris, I think you should go with the faster roadies. It will make you a better cyclist. With your power you should be fine unless you hit any serious climbing and they launch hard attacks. If it is a really big group and the terrain gets rough it might break up into two groups. One of the bigger ones around here schedules an A/B/C group and the A/B goes off on the same route and then naturally breaks up if it is a harder and hillier course. It is easy enough to sit in on flats and put work in if you feel the need otherwise. It might take you a couple times for your body to get used to the surging. That was probably the biggest difference for me. As a TT bike solo rider guy myself for a couple years, I got really used to just humming around at steady tempo a lot of the time. With the roadies you sometimes end up with a much lower average speed, but a much higher training load because you are going easy/moderate and then anaerobic clinging on for life and then back down. Sort of have to figure out how that type of riding fits into your overall plan as a triathlete and make sure you still are getting your solo steadier work in.I faced the same issue as you. There are a lot of triathletes that are pretty average on the bike around here and I end up just doing an easy ride if I stay with them or I need to go off on my own to get any proper efforts in.For the record, I'm not a big chat it up kind of guy either unless I'm on a social part of the ride. I've found it is pretty standard for the roadies to open up slowly and chatty and then get to work and everyone is quiet and remains quiet as a newer guy but then once you are still there at the end of the ride and taking turns at the front, you sort of earn your stripes and will be assimilated into the group. Just keep it steady, don't let gaps form and conform to the rhythm the best you can.

Jay - that is all 100% spot-on good observations and advice. That all mirrors my experience as well. Besides doing some legit work at the front, I have found another good way to earn some points (and suits most triathletes skills) is to move up toward the front before the hills and attacks, and then slide out and back a bit through the group. Keep an eye on the back, and if folks start to slip off then you can drift back and get them back on. That is always appreciated. Also, I'll never be a sprinter, but I have learned how to pace a good long lead-out that can hurt some folks a little - that is always appreciated by the the really good sprinters - makes 'em feel like pros!

2014-05-18 4:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Finally back on the bike this weekend and… sheared off my left aerobar at 35mph.  Luckily, there must be a post internally or some such, as it didn't "flop" down and I could finish up the first part of the ride as I was only a couple miles from meeting the family for a 5k.  

(Aside: paced all 3 kids to PR's and my daughter ran so hard - on her own - that she puked about 100m from the finish… and still finished strong!  Kim won her AG and PR'd, too.  Good times).  

Anyhow, happy not to have come to grief on the bike - and I get a new cockpit out of it!  So, y'all have any favorites?  My bike is a P2C (2009).  What say you, Utopians?  As they're less pricey than a new bike (and the P2C fits me well), I'm going to go for a niiiiiiiice one and keep the bike rather than buy a new bike (which I would hope would have been the first suggestion anyone made).    Kim actually called me out on that one almost as quickly as she got "Are you OK" out of her mouth!

Matt

ETA:  I know fit is king, but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for high quality sets with which to start.  Thanks!
M

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2014-05-18 4:08 PM
2014-05-18 4:56 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-05-18 5:29 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Awesome result Fred, congratulations!  Nice to see all your hard work in the pool paid off.  

2014-05-18 8:53 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Finally back on the bike this weekend and… sheared off my left aerobar at 35mph.  Luckily, there must be a post internally or some such, as it didn't "flop" down and I could finish up the first part of the ride as I was only a couple miles from meeting the family for a 5k.  

(Aside: paced all 3 kids to PR's and my daughter ran so hard - on her own - that she puked about 100m from the finish… and still finished strong!  Kim won her AG and PR'd, too.  Good times).  

Anyhow, happy not to have come to grief on the bike - and I get a new cockpit out of it!  So, y'all have any favorites?  My bike is a P2C (2009).  What say you, Utopians?  As they're less pricey than a new bike (and the P2C fits me well), I'm going to go for a niiiiiiiice one and keep the bike rather than buy a new bike (which I would hope would have been the first suggestion anyone made).    Kim actually called me out on that one almost as quickly as she got "Are you OK" out of her mouth!

Matt

ETA:  I know fit is king, but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for high quality sets with which to start.  Thanks!
M

Hey Matt - seems like we have the "run the kids until they puke" thing in common! Sounds like a good day for the family all around - congratulations!

Very glad you didn't get hurt when your aerobar came apart on you - I had a Profile bar (on my P2) come unbonded at a seam a number of years ago and almost did not end well for me when it came off in my hand while I was in the aerobars.... I haven't done enough research on current cockpits to make a specific suggestion, but I would definitely get one that pedestals correctly - having the base bar and extensions separate from each other lets you set them up both in the position that is optimum for each rather than having them tied together like a more traditional setup.

2014-05-18 9:12 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by axteraa

Awesome result Fred, congratulations!  Nice to see all your hard work in the pool paid off.  

Absolutely - fantastic work, Fred! I agree that it is nice to see direct payoff from the swim focus over the winter. I raced an OLY yesterday as well and had good results as well, also keying off a good swim. Bike was OK (The group of us at the front got stopped by a train - good thing I ride Sufferfest "The Hunted" to prepare for that....) and run was good but a couple of other dudes in the AG ran about a minute better, but with my swim I was able to hold them off. 10th OA/1st AG.

I am about to hit the hay as I am getting up early tomorrow morning  to ride Mt. Mitchell, which is an awesome climb in North Carolina. It is a chip-timed organized ride that leaves out of Spartanburg, SC and heads due north into North Carolina. the first 75 miles have about 6500' of rollers, and then it gets serious with 5500 more feet in the last 28 miles to the top of Mt. Mitchell. They run it on Monday as it is the only way they can get the permit to close down the Blue Ridge Parkway and Summit Approach Road so 1000 riders can get to the top. If you ever find yourself in the South East in May this is a definite must-do. 

2014-05-19 3:55 AM

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

M

While not cheap, you might want to check out the tririg aerobar setup.  Supposedly designed with maximum adjustability and aerodynamics in mind.

2014-05-19 6:06 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Fred & Rusty - way to tear it up!  Glad to hear that the swim focus is paying out (and hoping that's generalizable!).  Very impressive results.

Rusty and Jason, thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to pop in on the LBS (tri specific one) today with a tray of coffees and see if they'll have mercy, and the suggestions you've made will help me at least start the conversation with a good question or two!

Matt

2014-05-19 6:49 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Elite
PEI, Canada

Absolutely - fantastic work, Fred! I agree that it is nice to see direct payoff from the swim focus over the winter. I raced an OLY yesterday as well and had good results as well, also keying off a good swim. Bike was OK (The group of us at the front got stopped by a train - good thing I ride Sufferfest "The Hunted" to prepare for that....) and run was good but a couple of other dudes in the AG ran about a minute better, but with my swim I was able to hold them off. 10th OA/1st AG.

I am about to hit the hay as I am getting up early tomorrow morning  to ride Mt. Mitchell, which is an awesome climb in North Carolina. It is a chip-timed organized ride that leaves out of Spartanburg, SC and heads due north into North Carolina. the first 75 miles have about 6500' of rollers, and then it gets serious with 5500 more feet in the last 28 miles to the top of Mt. Mitchell. They run it on Monday as it is the only way they can get the permit to close down the Blue Ridge Parkway and Summit Approach Road so 1000 riders can get to the top. If you ever find yourself in the South East in May this is a definite must-do. 

Rusty, that's an awesome race result and the ride today sounds incredible!

2014-05-19 3:17 PM

Master
Guilford, CT
Nice work guys! You guys are motivating me to do triathlons again at some point even though I don't currently have a TT bike (doesn't mean I can't train on my roadie for now and get some running mojo going).

For those of you on Strava you might have seen a couple of runs starting to trickle in. It is not an error.
2014-05-19 4:49 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JAYCT Nice work guys! You guys are motivating me to do triathlons again at some point even though I don't currently have a TT bike (doesn't mean I can't train on my roadie for now and get some running mojo going). For those of you on Strava you might have seen a couple of runs starting to trickle in. It is not an error.

Ha!  Thought maybe you'd hit the wrong button…  

Bike update:  Went to the (awesome) LBS - called and explained and he said to just come on in. Talked through options and then looked at wicked expensive stuff (it's all pricey).  Then watched him root through a box of junk and come out with a replacement bar (unbelievable).  Now getting the bike back, TUNED, on Thursday without spending a fortuna.  

And THAT is why it's good to patronize your LBS - they're there when you need them.  FastSplits ROCKS!

That is all.  

Matt

2014-05-19 4:49 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hey, anyone know what the tri scene is like in Austin, TX?

Thanks for any experience/input.

Matt

2014-05-19 6:31 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by JAYCT Nice work guys! You guys are motivating me to do triathlons again at some point even though I don't currently have a TT bike (doesn't mean I can't train on my roadie for now and get some running mojo going). For those of you on Strava you might have seen a couple of runs starting to trickle in. It is not an error.

Well, to be fair, you, Rudy, and Sally all kinda make me want to be a bike racer....

2014-05-19 6:46 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Well, to be fair, you, Rudy, and Sally all kinda make me want to be a bike racer....

...except on the ride today some jack-wagon that was riding like an idiot took one of my buddies out, and almost me around mile 60, which meant I had to solo for the remaining 25 miles to the toe of the climb. But other than that, the ride today was beyond good. I posted a 17:30 Pr over the 102 miles, most of it coming in the last 21 miles/5200' where I got a 11:32 PR at within-the-margin-of-error  same power and HR as last year. That is the difference of -30 pounds. A REAL eye-opener for me. My right quad did try to go south on me with about 4 miles/1400' to go - that is really the first time I felt Saturdays race. And I felt it pretty good. It was about there that I rode into a female X-Terra pro (I gotta use me some Google Fu to try and remember her name) and she rode me the rest of the way up. Her quads were about the size of my chest. We rode the bus together on the way down, and she told me she was training for Ironman Canada this year, so that is why she did this ride on her tri-bike (A TRI-BIKE!?!?!?!?!??!?) I didn't want to tell her, but I think she needs a new coach.....

I will try and do a little write up, but right now I am a little tired. I did have a martini and a nice steak dinner though, so life is pretty good!

2014-05-19 7:22 PM

Nice work all!!!!   podiums and climbs and female pros.....

Thanks for the advice on group rides.  Still intimidated, but Saturday's TOC ride helpoed, as there were a lot of strong riders there.  I started with the medium fast group, then fell into a small fast group, then everyone burst apart as the climbs started.  Lots of people that took off in the rollers, I saw again on the two KOM climbs as I came by, I wasn't fast, just patient.  Most passed me again on the descent as I am a wuss, especially on chip seal.  Near the bottom a lot of us came together again, and on the little section just prior to the three loops the pros did, everyone turned it up.  We came on three guys that wound it up a bit, and I got in front to bridge the gap, as I looked down to see 755 on the old powermeter.  OK, now I'm done....

At any rate, group riding question.  During the rollers at about 30 miles in, a small train came by, I and a couple others latched on.  i was moving up through it, holding my own, but looking ahead saw a bit of a climb, I wasn't sure I could stay in, and wanted to conserve some matches for the real climbs later.  I turned to the girl behind me and told her she may want to sneak in next to me as I thought I'd probably gap on the climb.  She did, and the couple guys behind here, but the guy that took the next pull (on a tri bike...) slowed way down, and I could hav stayed with it.  But I let the group go as I didn't want to be "that guy" just sitting in, never getting to the front and doing any work, looking like i was sneaking back to the back every time I got near the front.  But I also didn't want to be "that other guy" that causes a huge gap and a split if I couldn't hang

What to do in that situation?  Stay in as long as I could and let those behind me deal with it? 

2014-05-19 7:38 PM

2014-05-19 7:39 PM

2014-05-19 8:15 PM

Nice work all!!!!   podiums and climbs and female pros.....

Thanks for the advice on group rides.  Still intimidated, but Saturday's TOC ride helpoed, as there were a lot of strong riders there.  I started with the medium fast group, then fell into a small fast group, then everyone burst apart as the climbs started.  Lots of people that took off in the rollers, I saw again on the two KOM climbs as I came by, I wasn't fast, just patient.  Most passed me again on the descent as I am a wuss, especially on chip seal.  Near the bottom a lot of us came together again, and on the little section just prior to the three loops the pros did, everyone turned it up.  We came on three guys that wound it up a bit, and I got in front to bridge the gap, as I looked down to see 755 on the old powermeter.  OK, now I'm done....

At any rate, group riding question.  During the rollers at about 30 miles in, a small train came by, I and a couple others latched on.  i was moving up through it, holding my own, but looking ahead saw a bit of a climb, I wasn't sure I could stay in, and wanted to conserve some matches for the real climbs later.  I turned to the girl behind me and told her she may want to sneak in next to me as I thought I'd probably gap on the climb.  She did, and the couple guys behind here, but the guy that took the next pull (on a tri bike...) slowed way down, and I could hav stayed with it.  But I let the group go as I didn't want to be "that guy" just sitting in, never getting to the front and doing any work, looking like i was sneaking back to the back every time I got near the front.  But I also didn't want to be "that other guy" that causes a huge gap and a split if I couldn't hang

What to do in that situation?  Stay in as long as I could and let those behind me deal with it? 

I can't speak for everyone, but what you did was what I would want others to do if they were in your situation.  Communicate to others your intentions and ride in a way that keeps the flow of the group going.  The guy that went to the front and slowed the pace down...while it is a noble effort to try and do work at the front, IMHO, it just causes a change of pace within the group, and usually means that the next guy at the front goes too hard...causing the flow to get even more out of whack.

I don't have a problem with people sitting in so long as they don't create gaps for others or constantly make people go around them.  If there is a rider that doesn't want to spend time at the front, I would want him to do one of two things.

1.  Rotate through the line normally, but just peel off as if you were taking a very short pull.  You probably need to make a clear visual signal (big elbow flick) so the rider behind you knows...as they probably will lock on to your wheel and may follow your wheel as you're pulling off not knowing your intentions.

2.  Stay at the back and let riders coming off the front back into the line in front of you.  This is usually the best solution as it keeps the line flowing naturally...as if you weren't even there.  Again...just make sure the person off the front knows your intentions.  Usually just coming off the line and getting onto his back wheel is a good indication that you want him to fold in in front of you.

IMHO, other riders really don't have a right to get upset at others who are just trying to sit in if they do one of the two things above as it shouldn't impact their ride.  Doing these things basically makes it as if you weren't even there.  Give them some compliments like "great pull," or "thanks for kicking my azz" and it should be all good.  Sprinting past them for a KOM would be a serious no-no though.  

2014-05-19 8:19 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Ironman Texas was this weekend and I had a number of friends racing, so I headed up there to watch.  While people were out on the bike, I snuck in a quick 50 mile ride -- I'm happy to say that my cycling legs are finally coming back to me!

Watching IMTX was a ton of fun.  We hung around and went to the finish line at 11:30 to watch the last finishers come in....absolutely amazing to feel the energy and see the expressions/emotions on the faces of those finishers.  That said, I still do NOT have the IM bug

2014-05-20 6:52 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Ironman Texas was this weekend and I had a number of friends racing, so I headed up there to watch.  While people were out on the bike, I snuck in a quick 50 mile ride -- I'm happy to say that my cycling legs are finally coming back to me!

Watching IMTX was a ton of fun.  We hung around and went to the finish line at 11:30 to watch the last finishers come in....absolutely amazing to feel the energy and see the expressions/emotions on the faces of those finishers.  That said, I still do NOT have the IM bug

maybe not yet but I sense the beginning....  

2014-05-20 8:09 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

maybe not yet but I sense the beginning....  

Meh, though LC Worlds is still sitting back there.

2014-05-20 11:40 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Thanks Jason, the complicating factor somewhat is that I didn't know any of these folks, and they didn't know me.  Some knew each other, etc...  So I was a little more hesitant about the whole situation, as in our normal groups we tend to be able to read our friends better and can predict what they are going to do.

I always knew it, but that ride really cemented in my mind that the group I currently ride with has no group riding skills whatsoever.  It's like 3-6 people all just doing their own ride.  And they never get much better. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 20919 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37087 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19657 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24074 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15881 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.