BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2014-04-17 6:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!!

So I may have to dust off the swim goggles and running shoes a little bit.  A friend of mine convinced me to do a tri this summer (750m/40k/10k).  He's always been slightly faster than me at bike races, but he's a crappy swimmer...ok runner.  I proposed to make a stage race out of it.  

Stage 1 - 40k TT on June 8th
Stage 2 - Cycle to the Sun (Haleakala) - June 28th
Stage 3 - Tinman Triathlon - July 27th

Should be fun.  Funny though that we just did some spring cleaning a couple days ago and I put my Garmin 910 away.  I told my GF to remind me where I put it because I may not be able to find it the next time I look for it.

Edited by Jason N 2014-04-17 6:26 PM

2014-04-18 1:41 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Ok...so I decided to run a little this morning.  First time in 6 months and 2 days.  I ran 1.75 miles.  It felt like I ran 17 afterwards....LOL.  This is going to be a long road back.  HAH!

2014-04-19 8:59 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-04-19 7:27 PM
in reply to: Fred D

2014-04-19 7:29 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Ok...so I decided to run a little this morning.  First time in 6 months and 2 days.  I ran 1.75 miles.  It felt like I ran 17 afterwards....LOL.  This is going to be a long road back.  HAH!

and you chose the treadmill....  why don't you just stab yourself in the eyeball while you are at it.  

2014-04-20 11:32 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Elite
PEI, Canada

How has the weekend been for everyone?  Matt is in Paris so presumably he's enjoying himself!

My last week was pretty weak on the bike (1 workout) and swim (zippo) side of things due to some travel for work but I ran every day and hit 70 km for the week.  I'm pretty sure I've never done that before.

2014-04-20 5:15 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

This weekend concludes my St. George build!  Had a great weekend (and, of course, I'm already feeling a bit of the taper madness!).  I had Friday off, so I swam with the Master's group first thing in the morning and immediately followed it up with an hour run.  Saturday had my longest run ever....13.1 miles (yeah, I totally ran 0.05 miles out and back at the end to get the extra 0.1!), followed by a short OWS.  And finished off the build with a 3.5 hour / 70 mile ride this morning, followed by a 4 mile run.  

For whatever reason, my ride felt absolutely awesome....which has me slightly confused as I know I'm carrying a lot of fatigue right now (or at least I should be!).  It almost makes me not want to taper!  But I know I should cut back some (while keeping intensity), so I'm going to try to follow my taper plan and not second guess my training.

At this point, it's about being smart and getting to the start line uninjured.  I'm really happy with how my build went, so we'll see how the race goes

2014-04-20 6:47 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by axteraa

How has the weekend been for everyone?  Matt is in Paris so presumably he's enjoying himself!

My last week was pretty weak on the bike (1 workout) and swim (zippo) side of things due to some travel for work but I ran every day and hit 70 km for the week.  I'm pretty sure I've never done that before.

I reckon you're going to have a great HM in a few weeks Arend.

I got in just over 18km today and I figure that + a previous long run will be all I can put together before racing in a couple of weeks.  I'm very unsure of how to approach the race itself since I don't know what pace to try and run.  PB from 2011 was 1:33:xx and that seems way out of reach given the spotty training.    I'm kind of leaning towards rolling the dice at the start of the race and setting off at a quick pace, and if I crumble, then so be it.  Not the wisest approach, but my money is paid, so do I really have anything to lose?  Any suggestions??

2014-04-21 3:49 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

I think Adrienne has a little run or something today? I wonder what beer she had last night?

Good luck, Salty - we will be watching!!

2014-04-21 4:33 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by ligersandtions

This weekend concludes my St. George build!  Had a great weekend (and, of course, I'm already feeling a bit of the taper madness!).  I had Friday off, so I swam with the Master's group first thing in the morning and immediately followed it up with an hour run.  Saturday had my longest run ever....13.1 miles (yeah, I totally ran 0.05 miles out and back at the end to get the extra 0.1!), followed by a short OWS.  And finished off the build with a 3.5 hour / 70 mile ride this morning, followed by a 4 mile run.  

For whatever reason, my ride felt absolutely awesome....which has me slightly confused as I know I'm carrying a lot of fatigue right now (or at least I should be!).  It almost makes me not want to taper!  But I know I should cut back some (while keeping intensity), so I'm going to try to follow my taper plan and not second guess my training.

At this point, it's about being smart and getting to the start line uninjured.  I'm really happy with how my build went, so we'll see how the race goes

Nicole - that is really exciting! From my experience you feel exactly how you are suppose to feel going in to your taper. Now you get to go stir-crazy! You have done all of the work, you are going to have. Great race. It is going to be a super way to kick off the summer.

2014-04-21 4:40 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Wow, Arend - that is good running - you may give James a run for his money if you keep that up! ;^)

a good weekend for me: first real climby ride of the season: 6700 feet in 55 miles on Friday, then a descending set of mile repeats where I went 6:20/6:00/5:50. It was cold and rainy so that was particularly good for me. Bout to jump in the pool for masters after only 3 hours of sleep though: this week has lots of work deadlines as we are finishing up the semester in about 10 days or so. Then about 15 weeks off for the summer, so that helps push through the sleepless days ahead.... Safe training everyone!

2014-04-21 11:52 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
...at home in The ATL
Dang! If I am working Adrienne's splits she has been running dead even 7:15 miles from the get-go! Looking good for a sub 3:10 finish if she keeps it up. Last night's beer must have been a good one!!!! Keep it up, Salty!
2014-04-21 12:14 PM

Originally posted by TankBoy Dang! If I am working Adrienne's splits she has been running dead even 7:15 miles from the get-go! Looking good for a sub 3:10 finish if she keeps it up. Last night's beer must have been a good one!!!! Keep it up, Salty!

Go Salty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-04-21 2:27 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
...at home in The ATL

3:18:02 Finish - 7:34 average pace - amazing!

Way to go, Adrienne!!!!

2014-04-21 3:22 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by TankBoy

Way to go, Adrienne!!!!

That's fantastic!  I'll be anxiously waiting her RR....I know she had some specific (non-time) goals.

And for the record, I could do that pace....for a mile :P

2014-04-21 4:43 PM

Originally posted by Jason N

and you chose the treadmill....  why don't you just stab yourself in the eyeball while you are at it.  

LOL.  Believe it or not my hip flexors were a bit tender all weekend from that short run.  I suppose because a 10:00 mile on the treadmill was too fast for me.  Ran again this morning outside.  2.8 miles at 10:45 pace...LMFAO.  I literally felt like my legs didn't know how to run.  Cardio and HR were absolutely fine...my legs were just in "WTF" mode the whole time.

I wonder what it's going to be like to swim again???

The good news is that I'm sort of enjoying it again...at least in small doses.  A group of my training friends just finished Strongman Miyakojima this past weekend and I'm getting the itch to go if another group makes the trip in a year or two.

2014-04-21 4:44 PM
in reply to: 0

Way to go, Adrienne!!!!

Awesome!

ETA: A buddy of mine went up and ran a PR of 3:12.  

Edited by Jason N 2014-04-21 4:45 PM
2014-04-21 6:54 PM

2014-04-21 6:55 PM

Originally posted by Fred D

Way to go, Adrienne!!!!

Nice work Adrienne!

Rock solid.

[bowing]

2014-04-21 6:57 PM

2014-04-22 6:36 AM

Seattle
I was sick yesterday The entire race was a struggle but I finished! Was a good exercise in modifying goals on the fly!

2014-04-22 8:50 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I was sick yesterday The entire race was a struggle but I finished! Was a good exercise in modifying goals on the fly!

Rock Star!!! That was awesome!!! congrats!!!
2014-04-22 8:58 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

So dusted off the Shiv yesterday and rode it yesterday and today. 

I was very pleased that I could hold very decent watts both in aero and on the horns.

I guess all that trainer work might have actually meant something.

*I* think it also proves that riding the road bike on the trainer and in spring is not a bad move, and that much translates to aero position fitness.

Coaching might be helping as well..........

my personal opinion is that you should not have any difference in power related to road or TT bike. The bikes should have virtually the same fit if done properly and the only thing that changes is that you are rotated forward of the bottom bracket but your angles should be all the same on your TT bike versus road. While that may lend to some slightly different small muscle usage, the large power producing muscles are still your main source of power.

I have discussed this with many people, that the Tri fit is not a magic fit, but a good fit on a TT bike allows you to produce less power at the same relative speed or more speed at similar power, due to increases in aerodynamic efficiency not because of a position change.

make sense?? thoughts??

2014-04-22 9:09 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Asalzwed I was sick yesterday The entire race was a struggle but I finished! Was a good exercise in modifying goals on the fly!

Aw, heck - really sorry to hear that Salty, but you really couldn't tell it from following the splits online - it looked like a great race right up until the end. Now I am very interested to hear what your goals actually were.... Hopefully you are not too bummed about it. When my last Ironman went unexpectedly bust I had a little epiphany while I was trying to decide what to do about it. In a weird way it is exactly BECAUSE of the relatively high likelihood that something may go wrong and a race go south despite your best planning and strategy that draws me personally to long course/ultra distance racing. While I like PRs, going fast, and having breakout performances as much as the next guy, the races in which the sh*t hits the fan and I have been able to gather myself up and deal with it well are amongst my most memorable and accomplished. Good on you for getting there healthy, dealing with your illness, and getting it done. On to the next one!

2014-04-22 9:20 AM
in reply to: Rudedog55

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Rudedog55

So dusted off the Shiv yesterday and rode it yesterday and today. 

I was very pleased that I could hold very decent watts both in aero and on the horns.

I guess all that trainer work might have actually meant something.

*I* think it also proves that riding the road bike on the trainer and in spring is not a bad move, and that much translates to aero position fitness.

Coaching might be helping as well..........

my personal opinion is that you should not have any difference in power related to road or TT bike. The bikes should have virtually the same fit if done properly and the only thing that changes is that you are rotated forward of the bottom bracket but your angles should be all the same on your TT bike versus road. While that may lend to some slightly different small muscle usage, the large power producing muscles are still your main source of power. I have discussed this with many people, that the Tri fit is not a magic fit, but a good fit on a TT bike allows you to produce less power at the same relative speed or more speed at similar power, due to increases in aerodynamic efficiency not because of a position change. make sense?? thoughts??

Rudy and Fred - that mirrors my own personal experience as well. If I am on the trainer, I am on my road bike, and a lot of my road riding is on my road bike. I really only do race-specific rides and intervals on the TT bike. I am fortunate (I guess?) in that I am able to move between the two with no problem and am extremely comfortable on both - On the road bike I am almost always in the drops and on the TT bike I am always in the aerobars. Like you said, my fit is virtually the same (intentionally) between these two positions, just rotated around the BB. We probably all agree that Jordan Rapp is fairly smart about such things and he wrote a really great post about it a while back. Here is the link for those that haven't seen it: http://blog.rappstar.com/2014/04/why-triathletes-need-road-bike.html 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 20795 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 36900 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19561 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23865 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15728 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.