General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thanks goodness I'm a triathlete over the holidays Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-24 4:47 PM

Subject: Thanks goodness I'm a triathlete over the holidays

...Because there's like a RIDICULOUS amount of fatty foods at the office that I can't resist - like every day this week! I ate breakfast at home, a second breakfast at work, 2 donuts before lunch, BIG lunch, and now they're bringing around chocolates this afternoon. Ridiculous - but I burned a lot of calories this morning so it's all good!

2013-12-26 9:30 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Thanks goodness I'm a triathlete over the holidays

HA!!  This is how bad I had it.........this is a salted caramel/pecan cheesecake that my wife makes every couple of years.  She is a baking fool, all done from scratch and with her grandma's recipes, pie crust made with lard, etc.  I don't know how many calories are in this sucker, but it could power me for a week I would bet.

(cake2.jpg)

(cake1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cake2.jpg (110KB - 0 downloads)
cake1.jpg (137KB - 0 downloads)
2013-12-26 9:32 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

LB, is that duck dynast wine?

2013-12-26 9:35 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

BWAAAHAHAHAHAA!!!    

I don't know, my oldest brought it over, but it was tasty.

2013-12-26 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by Left Brain

HA!!  This is how bad I had it.........this is a salted caramel/pecan cheesecake that my wife makes every couple of years.  She is a baking fool, all done from scratch and with her grandma's recipes, pie crust made with lard, etc.  I don't know how many calories are in this sucker, but it could power me for a week I would bet.

OMFG!  This would not make it through one day at my house.  My wife would find me in the closet, in a coma with an empty cheesecake pan, fork in my mouth, and a smile on my face. 

That being said, a buddy of mine dropped off some apple pie made by a church that the crust is made from lard.  Holy Moly.  That will ruin my "maintain no gain" weight plan for the holidays.

2013-12-26 9:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

OMFG!  This would not make it through one day at my house.  My wife would find me in the closet, in a coma with an empty cheesecake pan, fork in my mouth, and a smile on my face. 

That being said, a buddy of mine dropped off some apple pie made by a church that the crust is made from lard.  Holy Moly.  That will ruin my "maintain no gain" weight plan for the holidays.

Yeah man.....if you're lucky enough to get baked goods from the gals who have the old recipes and the know how......it's unbeatable.  My wife does some cinnamon  rolls that she makes from an old recipe as well......right down to the kneading of the dough and yeast, grinding fresh cinnamon cloves,  etc.  It takes her about 3 hours to put them together......and then we stake a claim to how many each of us get......and the kids cheat and steal like thieves.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-26 9:47 AM

2013-12-26 10:03 AM

User image

Agree but I got sick last weekend, so I've been eating a lot of junk over Xmas but can't burn it off! Grrr.... I'm almost over it and I'm going to try to swim and bike today (day off) and hope I can whip myself back into shape. I keep expecting to see some 300 pound guy in the mirror when I walk past it. Have to remind myself that a week or so off isn't going to hurt me that much but being home, instead of working out, with a lot of temptations is very hard. Reminds me why I never buy snack food anymore. I know my weaknesses and keep them away from me.
2013-12-26 10:08 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Blastman Agree but I got sick last weekend, so I've been eating a lot of junk over Xmas but can't burn it off! Grrr.... I'm almost over it and I'm going to try to swim and bike today (day off) and hope I can whip myself back into shape. I keep expecting to see some 300 pound guy in the mirror when I walk past it. Have to remind myself that a week or so off isn't going to hurt me that much but being home, instead of working out, with a lot of temptations is very hard. Reminds me why I never buy snack food anymore. I know my weaknesses and keep them away from me.

Everything in moderation brother.....eating is one of life's greatest pleasures in my book, and I will not be denied.

2013-12-26 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by dmiller5

BWAAAHAHAHAHAA!!!    

I don't know, my oldest brought it over, but it was tasty.

We have some of the same wine, brought as a gift (by several different people over the last year or two) because it's the only thing people can find with a duck on it.   

It's not from the DD crew and is a really tasty wine.  We've bought a few bottles ourselves since (although we usually stick to gin or silly good beer).

The Better Half and my daughter, with help from my youngest son, made a buche de noel from scratch for yesterday's family get together at our place.  Holy crap - more cream and chocolate in that thing than a Ben & Jerry's factory!  

Mmmmm… fat…. and sugar….  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And LB, I'd be unable to race this season if my wife had that recipe.  I CANNOT stay away from salted caramel.  Not sure why, but that is my kryptonite!  Or my secret power source - depends on how much is in the house.  

Matt

2013-12-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4917907

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
This is no joke. If it weren't for workouts I could get hired as a body double for the StayPuff Marshmallow Man. So many home made goodies, so little time.
2013-12-26 11:21 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sigh....I don't have a sweet tooth, never have, and just don't get what the attraction is. I think there is something wrong with my DNA. The only sweet that interests me is really dark chocolate and our workplace/family baking doesn't involve that. Pumpkin pie's okay, but in our family, it's a one-time, one-pie deal. That being said, I'll probably turn into a turkey after all I consumed last night. Plus I really, really like turkey gravy and I think I put it on everything but the veggies. They don't sell small-family-sized turkeys, and we don't like those processed breast roll things, so we'll be gorging on turkey for days to come!

2013-12-26 11:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sigh....I don't have a sweet tooth, never have, and just don't get what the attraction is. I think there is something wrong with my DNA. The only sweet that interests me is really dark chocolate and our workplace/family baking doesn't involve that. Pumpkin pie's okay, but in our family, it's a one-time, one-pie deal. That being said, I'll probably turn into a turkey after all I consumed last night. Plus I really, really like turkey gravy and I think I put it on everything but the veggies. They don't sell small-family-sized turkeys, and we don't like those processed breast roll things, so we'll be gorging on turkey for days to come!

Isn't it funny how different people's tastes are?  I can't stand chocolate, and I wouldn't eat a piece of cake and icing if you put it in front of me.....just too sweet.  But I'll devour that cheesecake, and I can eat an entire home made pie of just about any type of fruit. 

You hit the nail on the head with the turkey gravy though.....it covers EVERYTHING! 

I didn't get any turkey yesterday.....we had pasta with a clam sauce with spinach and tomatoes, and copious amounts of wine.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-26 11:32 AM
2013-12-26 2:40 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

One last holiday meal ahead of me this weekend when I visit family out of town. Then I can get to work burning off the 10 pounds I've gained over the holiday season...

2013-12-26 2:57 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
All the food and drinks! I'm grateful for my running group forcing me to get out, that's for sure.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thanks goodness I'm a triathlete over the holidays Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Thank goodness for the helmet

Started by hornsfan
Views: 864 Posts: 17

2009-06-22 8:09 AM hornsfan

Woohoo, I'm a triathlete

Started by dgunthert
Views: 955 Posts: 9

2005-05-07 11:44 PM lifesgreat

I'm a triathlete!

Started by lifesgreat
Views: 954 Posts: 13

2004-11-20 9:14 PM keepitup

Yay I'm a Triathlete!!!

Started by syoshida
Views: 625 Posts: 5

2004-09-13 9:19 PM autumn

my "i'm a bad triathlete" rant

Started by cristin1124
Views: 832 Posts: 13

2004-08-03 11:00 AM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought

date : December 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
If you are looking for a simple, yet special, gift for your running buddy, teammate, or active friend, enjoy making one of these recipes that will be sure to please any hungry athlete.
date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.

date : November 1, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
From a cycling background to triathlete. A podcast with one of the first BT members about how triathlons allow him that daily satisfaction.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?
date : November 23, 2005
author : acbadger
Don’t go without, just watch portion sizes and remember that there is ALWAYS time to get a short workout in…if you make the time!

date : January 30, 2005
author : sekhmet
We can no longer say “I’ll start training next year” or “let me just get through the holidays”- it IS next year and I, for one, am more than through with the holidays.