General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training wheelset recommendation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-26 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: Training wheelset recommendation?
I need to replace my wheels but can't afford to break the bank. I am trying to stay under the $300 mark. I see a bunch of Mavic Aksium and Shimano (don't know which models) takeoffs for my kind of price range. Is there a reason people sell these so much? I was also looking at the Fulcrum 7s since they seem to be around the same cost. I would prefer to stay new, or should I look used? Is under the $300 mark even realistic or do I need to save up some and bump up a notch? I will be racing in the same wheels until I can swing a dedicated set of race wheels which may be some time.

Recommendations?

2013-12-26 2:43 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Training wheelset recommendation?
I have a set of Aksiums; they were a nice upgrade from my cruddy no-name wheels that came with my road bike, especially after I broke my third spoke.

I would look at a set of Flo 30's - a wider wheel, better suited for 25mm tires, but still with an aluminum brake track.

I also like my Felt TTR wheels that came with my B2 - and I've seen sets on ebay/craigslist/classifieds for dirt cheap. Take the stickers off if they don't match your bike

2013-12-26 3:01 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I also like my Felt TTR wheels that came with my B2 - and I've seen sets on ebay/craigslist/classifieds for dirt cheap. Take the stickers off if they don't match your bike

There's not much point in spending a bunch on training wheels. You can get very cheap very strong wheels; they just might give up a little on weight and aerodynamics.

The comment above is a good compromise if you're planning to race on your training wheels. I trained and raced on semi-aero aluminum wheels for a little over a year before upgrading to race wheels. I still use the alu wheels for training and they're going strong.
2013-12-26 3:08 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Every time one of these threads pop up, I make the same recommendation - go to Amazon.com and search for "aeromax wheelset". These are the ones I have (have bought two sets and love them - gave one set to a friend).

You'll get a very solid wheel for dirt cheap (under $115 before shipping).  No, they aren't the lightest, but seriously, it's a training wheel... who cares about weight - that worry is for race wheels.  They're hand-built, bomb-proof and roll really, really well. Heck, read the reviews, they don't lie.

2013-12-26 4:41 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Franklin, TN
I've been pretty happy with the Vuelta Corsa Lite wheelset. Fairly light wheelset. Good reviews. Nashbar has it for $250.

2013-12-26 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
x2 on the Mavic Aksiums, I ride hard weigh 195 lbs and got a set after my stock wheels lost a spoke. Those wheels have been recommended to others here on BT year after year and I also hear recommendations on those wheels at group rides etc.

2013-12-26 7:59 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Mavic Aksium S wheelset for $233.00 right now on Competitive Cyclist. Also, comes with free 2 day shipping. It is a training wheelset. Mavic is a trusted name. Buy them now.
2013-12-27 6:17 AM

User image

Absolutely you can get great training wheels for under $300. Shimano makes some good ones in that price range. I have had the RS20's for years. They have had zero issues and I've thrown a lot at them. With a training wheel I'm not worried about weight or aero so you probably aren't going to find anything top of the line in those areas in that price range but if you are mainly interested in durable performance it's definitely possible.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training wheelset recommendation? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Which wheelset for training bike?

Started by NewbieTri100
Views: 559 Posts: 5

2012-01-29 12:25 PM NewbieTri100

Newbie Training Recommendation

Started by dave1697
Views: 674 Posts: 5

2006-03-05 7:27 PM dave1697

Swim Training Plans - Recommendations

Started by olddskool
Views: 696 Posts: 1

2005-08-18 3:45 PM olddskool

recommendations for century training?

Started by autumn
Views: 1323 Posts: 19

2005-01-20 8:37 PM jkbostic

Recommendations Heart Rate Range for Cycling Training & Race

Started by jerry
Views: 665 Posts: 5

2004-12-16 11:07 AM jerry
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Don't power through your off season! Rest and take it easy. Our doctors tell you why rest is important, how long to rest, and what training and exercises you should be doing.

date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : January 13, 2009
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?

date : October 8, 2008
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : April 14, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Need a high-performance wheel upgrade? Watch the review of the Specialized Roval Rapide Carbon Clincher wheelset which turned out to be an excellent all-around wheelset for both training and racing.

date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.