General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Over 50 Triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-26 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: Over 50 Triathletes
So the years are rolling by, and yet I am still going. I race at age 52 this year, as always I am hopeful for a good year. I am thankful I can still swim, bike and run.

I find triathlon training more and more interesting and challenging. I think and regrettable my running is taken the hit the hardest. My swim and bike seam ok, just the run seams harder to recovery as well as the most effort.

What seams to be your weaker event as the years tick by?

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group

2013-12-26 7:15 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Over 50 Triathletes
54 this year.... first triathlon in 1985...the number of injuries from running over the last few years has caught me by surprise. Getting ready to run again after knee surgery.... can hardly wait to see what breaks next.
2013-12-26 7:35 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I did my frist triathlon in 1983. It was followed buy many years of good racing then a long break from racing. No major injuries although I did have a major illness and recovered from that.

2013-12-26 8:02 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Did either of you do the Bud Light series?  That's where I started.

2013-12-26 8:39 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Did either of you do the Bud Light series?  That's where I started.

Yep did them well in Hawaii.

2013-12-26 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
I started late with triathlon, this coming season will be just my 4th. The run is by far the hardest on my body. Having switched at the start of last year to 90% TM running, it has helped me maintain my health. I doubled my run miles this year from last and had no serious issues at all. Interestingly, I find that a hard swim day is harder to recover from as I seem to feel really tired the following day. I am by far better on the bike then anything, I love to ride! I love the hills, the trainer, the canyons. Doing it on a bike makes me feel alive! And riding's not bad either!

2013-12-26 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
I rode with the college team when the top American cyclist was Jock Boyer who some of you guys will remember, then had a back injury that kept me out of the saddle for a couple of decades. A little swimming magically fixed my back, put me in the saddle, and doing tris four years ago. I don't worry about the bike, since I always have decent splits. I'm not like lightening, but it makes the most sense to focus on the other two disciplines. I worked hard a few years ago to learn to swim in masters, but only pay attention to it from time to time now. My current focus is the run, and am getting better all the time. I've only trained with any discipline for the past few months, and ran my last 5k in the top 4%. A quip in Born to Run implies that a 65 y/o can be as fast as a 19 y/o, so I plan on getting a lot faster for quite a while I think I got lucky starting to run so late - I quickly gave myself PF, learned a decent stride, and now run a lot of long easy miles.
2013-12-27 4:46 AM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Coach Gil

I started late with triathlon, this coming season will be just my 4th. The run is by far the hardest on my body. Having switched at the start of last year to 90% TM running, it has helped me maintain my health. I doubled my run miles this year from last and had no serious issues at all. Interestingly, I find that a hard swim day is harder to recover from as I seem to feel really tired the following day. I am by far better on the bike then anything, I love to ride! I love the hills, the trainer, the canyons. Doing it on a bike makes me feel alive! And riding's not bad either!

I use find this the same when I returned to triathlon training in 2007. I think the energy burned in such a short period of time is the cause. Having more swim fitness has help this as well a better technique, for me.

2013-12-27 4:51 AM
in reply to: Pacific John

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Pacific John

I rode with the college team when the top American cyclist was Jock Boyer who some of you guys will remember, then had a back injury that kept me out of the saddle for a couple of decades. A little swimming magically fixed my back, put me in the saddle, and doing tris four years ago. I don't worry about the bike, since I always have decent splits. I'm not like lightening, but it makes the most sense to focus on the other two disciplines. I worked hard a few years ago to learn to swim in masters, but only pay attention to it from time to time now. My current focus is the run, and am getting better all the time. I've only trained with any discipline for the past few months, and ran my last 5k in the top 4%. A quip in Born to Run implies that a 65 y/o can be as fast as a 19 y/o, so I plan on getting a lot faster for quite a while I think I got lucky starting to run so late - I quickly gave myself PF, learned a decent stride, and now run a lot of long easy miles.

Thanks for the post and thanks for the open logs. I can see I need to slow down more if I want to last.

Congratulations on that 5K. Smoke’n time!

2013-12-27 9:34 AM

New user
Key West
Did my first triathlon in 1989, but have always considered myself a runner, who also does triathlons. That said, I have slowed down quite a bit in my running and have a harder time recovering from a long run or race. Cycling though is overall, my weakest leg relative to other triathletes in my age group. Most likely because I don't spend enough time on the bike. Will be 60 in a few months and I will most definitely not be as fast as I was when I was younger.
2013-12-27 9:57 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Regular
Madrid
For me its been the swim. Probably no coincidence that its a consequence of tending to spend less and less time in the pool though. Of the 3 I find it the most complicated logistically and the least enjoyable.

2013-12-27 10:02 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

All of them.

2013-12-27 10:44 AM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

All of them.

Well that is a bummer.......but we can work on it.
2013-12-27 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

(51) I'm just more 'achy'  after workouts than I ever used to be. 

But I can take a nap and nobody questions me anymore....cuz I'm old.

2013-12-27 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by BrotherTri

My patience : patience with drivers and people that swim in the wrong pace lane.

I do feel I am more "on the edge" with injury than ever before.
2013-12-27 12:21 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by jeffnboise

(51) I'm just more 'achy'  after workouts than I ever used to be. 

But I can take a nap and nobody questions me anymore....cuz I'm old.

Did someone say nap time. My favorite time of the day. I think my dogs look forward too it more than me. All three of us will get all cozy on the couch. They are German Shepherds btw...

2013-12-27 12:24 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by marcag

My patience : patience with drivers and people that swim in the wrong pace lane.

I do feel I am more "on the edge" with injury than ever before.

Marc I was wondering when you would post.

One word for patience.....Breath

I think I have more patience now than I did when I was younger.

2013-12-27 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I turn 55 this year and will be doing my first Ironman in Boulder on August 3rd. I have slowed down some but still can handle the training volume and speed workouts. The main thing that is different now that I am older is that I take longer to recover. Years ago I used to be able to incorporate two hard days in a row, now I have to take a rest / recovery day the day after a hard effort.
2013-12-27 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

So the years are rolling by, and yet I am still going. I race at age 52 this year, as always I am hopeful for a good year. I am thankful I can still swim, bike and run.

I find triathlon training more and more interesting and challenging. I think and regrettable my running is taken the hit the hardest. My swim and bike seam ok, just the run seams harder to recovery as well as the most effort.

James
Great question for those of us who need to fight the aging process along with pushing the training for improvement. I've only been doing tri's for a couple years now, so I'm probably not able to give a good answer. Ironically, Joe Friel just posted about this recently in his blog. Not that I read that, but I did happen across it, and since I'm old and slow, I thought it was appropriate.

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2013/11/index.html

I am new enough to the sport to keep getting a bit faster. It helps when you set the bar low-ha. I have always been weakest in the swim, since I just learned when I began triathlon in 2011, so hopefully with consistency I'll get better. It's harder to hold my run paces due to the need for recovery and the threat of injury when trying to balance hard training of the 3 discipliines.

I think cycling offers the most improvement with least injury risk. It's far less technical than swimming and just like anything, more is better. But you can up the intensity with less risk on the bike, IMO. Of course, once you get to stud-status like you and Rusty, well, there's nowhere to go but down.
2013-12-27 6:26 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Bronze member

I'm not 50 yet but even at 41 I am really noticing my body pretty much rejecting running. I'll be happy if I can make it to 50 at this rate. Never any major injuries but always something, to the point that I just don't care that much anymore. I'm sitting here with my foot in a bucket of ice water while I'm typing this!

2013-12-27 6:29 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by marcag

+1, absolutely.

2013-12-27 7:28 PM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by rick4657

I turn 55 this year and will be doing my first Ironman in Boulder on August 3rd. I have slowed down some but still can handle the training volume and speed workouts. The main thing that is different now that I am older is that I take longer to recover. Years ago I used to be able to incorporate two hard days in a row, now I have to take a rest / recovery day the day after a hard effort.

WOW nice first Ironman! You must like hills like me.

Yep, recovery really drives my training and is a fine balance for me. I paid for it last year by doing 2 HIM and a Ironman all in 3 months time frame. The first HIM was a brutal run for me and I never recovered well enough.

2013-12-27 7:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by dtoce

James
Great question for those of us who need to fight the aging process along with pushing the training for improvement. I've only been doing tri's for a couple years now, so I'm probably not able to give a good answer. Ironically, Joe Friel just posted about this recently in his blog. Not that I read that, but I did happen across it, and since I'm old and slow, I thought it was appropriate.

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2013/11/index.html

I am new enough to the sport to keep getting a bit faster. It helps when you set the bar low-ha. I have always been weakest in the swim, since I just learned when I began triathlon in 2011, so hopefully with consistency I'll get better. It's harder to hold my run paces due to the need for recovery and the threat of injury when trying to balance hard training of the 3 discipliines.

I think cycling offers the most improvement with least injury risk. It's far less technical than swimming and just like anything, more is better. But you can up the intensity with less risk on the bike, IMO. Of course, once you get to stud-status like you and Rusty, well, there's nowhere to go but down.

Man that link is GOLDEN!!! Thanks for posting this link of Friel blog. I’ll be reading that.

It’s interesting that you feel cycling is the “least injury risk”. In the past some of my cycling days were brutal causing ITB stresses that went into the run. I would often end up the next days swim or run as recovery. That kind of prompted a redo of training strategies. I think its common for Triathlete to use a swim as a recovery. I know I did to many times. It just feels good. Not saying its bad but you sure will not get any faster doing recovery swims.

Edited by BrotherTri 2013-12-27 7:51 PM
2013-12-27 7:58 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by trigal38

I'm not 50 yet but even at 41 I am really noticing my body pretty much rejecting running. I'll be happy if I can make it to 50 at this rate. Never any major injuries but always something, to the point that I just don't care that much anymore. I'm sitting here with my foot in a bucket of ice water while I'm typing this!

Sorry your foot is sore. Ice water is good. May I ask what is wrong?

I messed my metatarsals from a combo of things in the fall of 2012. High mileage, box jumps and low recovery.

2013-12-27 10:31 PM

I have a goal to do one more iron distance in two years at age 60, we shall see. The knees no longer work correctly for running. Walking will be the way to finish the distance. I will need a big cushion off the bike to have enough time to finish the race before the cutoff. Keeping up the swimming and bike fitness has been easy. I can still whip a lot of young people in the pool and hold my own on the bike. I also get beat by more young people than I used to.

Running is out of the question. I walk 3 to 5 miles per day on a 14 minute pace a couple of times a week. This will have to do. I will make the most of it. I really enjoy being the old person out there with all of the young people. The young people keep me moving. They may and do finish faster than me oh well I am old. There is no shame in finishing last.

See ya'll in two years.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Over 50 Triathletes Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Planet X Carbon Clinchers 50/50. Anyone Have These?

Started by misha1809
Views: 3404 Posts: 10

2010-11-15 9:40 PM Freeswimmingfish

50 by 50

Started by dmiller5
Views: 1530 Posts: 11

2010-10-14 3:50 PM lestoad

re: Triathletes Over 50

Started by infosteward
Views: 1547 Posts: 16

2013-12-29 7:08 PM Left Brain

50 yd swim sprint?

Started by kpar
Views: 1097 Posts: 5

2005-03-30 2:57 PM docswim24

5 at 5 at 50 ...

Started by triman50
Views: 1531 Posts: 19

2004-04-01 12:10 AM richblast
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Just because it makes you want to cheer, here are some more video clips.

date : September 8, 2004
author : promotion
comments : 4
ProMotion continues to excel in the Triathlon wetsuit market with evolved designs widely regarded as the finest available and loyal support from athletes worldwide.