General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looked like a snorkel? - Ironman Louisville swim start Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-27 3:38 PM

Subject: Looked like a snorkel? - Ironman Louisville swim start
Sorry new to triathlon - quick question. i have just watched a you tube video of the start of Ironman Louisville. As I watched the swimmers going into the water I saw a lady with what looked like a snorkel? is this allowed?

2013-12-27 3:39 PM
in reply to: axelle

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Looked like a snorkel? - Ironman Louisville swim start

Totally legal. 

2013-12-27 3:40 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Totally legal. 

x2.
2013-12-27 3:45 PM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Pro

She's prolly still out there swimming in a circle.

2013-12-27 3:46 PM
in reply to: axelle

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by axelle Sorry new to triathlon - quick question. i have just watched a you tube video of the start of Ironman Louisville. As I watched the swimmers going into the water I saw a lady with what looked like a snorkel? is this allowed?

From the athlete guide:

Swim goggles, snorkels, or facemasks may be worn. Any athlete using a snorkel will not be eligible for Age Group awards, including IRONMAN Wold Championship slots and Rolldown slots.

2013-12-27 5:53 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Originally posted by axelle Sorry new to triathlon - quick question. i have just watched a you tube video of the start of Ironman Louisville. As I watched the swimmers going into the water I saw a lady with what looked like a snorkel? is this allowed?

From the athlete guide:

Swim goggles, snorkels, or facemasks may be worn. Any athlete using a snorkel or any monster scuba style face mask, googles must be FINA approved will not be eligible for Age Group awards, including IRONMAN Wold Championship slots and Rolldown slots.

Wish this was true.

2013-12-28 4:38 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by simpsonbo
Originally posted by Brit Abroad

From the athlete guide:

Swim goggles, snorkels, or facemasks may be worn. Any athlete using a snorkel or any monster scuba style face mask, googles must be FINA approved will not be eligible for Age Group awards, including IRONMAN Wold Championship slots and Rolldown slots.

Wish this was true.

Snorkels have been legal for a few years now.  I saw one in use at the IM Arizona start this last November. 

It seems to me that if someone "needs" a snorkel to swim, then the IM swim is not a good idea, certainly not the deep water start of IMAZ.  But I suppose to each their own. I've read a few threads where people say they are faster/smoother with a snorkel, so maybe that's why these people use them.

2013-12-28 7:21 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Relying on a tool to breathe is dangerous in a crowded OW swim in my opinion.
2013-12-28 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

couldn't agree more.  

2013-12-28 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I think many people that use them in races do so because they have limited mobility with their neck and can't turn to breathe for an extended period of time.

2013-12-28 10:12 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

I think many people that use them in races do so because they have limited mobility with their neck and can't turn to breathe for an extended period of time.

^^^This^^^

I train with a guy sometimes who is a stronger than average swimmer (usually top 15%-25%) who uses one for oly and longer because he has some neck issues from past injuries that will result in debilitating pain for days if he pushes through a longer distance turning to breathe.  In his case, using the snorkel has nothing to do with swimming ability, and ironically, it probably slows him down a little, because he can't get as much air.

I also just started coaching a woman who has a fusion in her neck from birth that limits her neck mobility.  She's done a few HIM's, and is training for her first IM in 2014.  The use of a snorkel is one of the things that we'll  consider for her in the coming months.

IMO, whenever these discussions arise, too many people only view the issue from their personal situation, and don't consider that everyone is unique.  It's like the threads about not toeing the line of an IM unless you can swim, bike, or run x pace, or know that you can finish in 12 hours.  Not everyone is in the M30-34 AG and fully healthy.  For example, I have another new athlete who is a woman turning 50 this year, has an artificial hip as a result of a stress fracture from marathon training about 6-8 years ago, and is training for her first IM.  Our plan is for her to walk the marathon, and if she can do any running, it will be a bonus.  She was a D1 swimmer for Pitt, does the Chesapeake Bay Swim almost every year, and is a stronger than average biker, so there are a lot of people in every age group (including some pros) who will be chasing her out of the water, but she knows that her real challenge will begin at mile 114.4 when the run begins.  Just finishing under the finish cutoff will be a huge victory considering her medical history.

IMHO, the people who race in spite of these challenges are BA and deserve a lot more respect than they tend to be given in online forums.

2013-12-28 11:16 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TriMyBest

IMO, whenever these discussions arise, too many people only view the issue from their personal situation, and don't consider that everyone is unique. 

Amen. Great post.

2013-12-28 11:26 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TriMyBest

^^^This^^^

I train with a guy sometimes who is a stronger than average swimmer (usually top 15%-25%) who uses one for oly and longer because he has some neck issues from past injuries that will result in debilitating pain for days if he pushes through a longer distance turning to breathe.  In his case, using the snorkel has nothing to do with swimming ability, and ironically, it probably slows him down a little, because he can't get as much air.

I also just started coaching a woman who has a fusion in her neck from birth that limits her neck mobility.  She's done a few HIM's, and is training for her first IM in 2014.  The use of a snorkel is one of the things that we'll  consider for her in the coming months.

IMO, whenever these discussions arise, too many people only view the issue from their personal situation, and don't consider that everyone is unique.  It's like the threads about not toeing the line of an IM unless you can swim, bike, or run x pace, or know that you can finish in 12 hours.  Not everyone is in the M30-34 AG and fully healthy.  For example, I have another new athlete who is a woman turning 50 this year, has an artificial hip as a result of a stress fracture from marathon training about 6-8 years ago, and is training for her first IM.  Our plan is for her to walk the marathon, and if she can do any running, it will be a bonus.  She was a D1 swimmer for Pitt, does the Chesapeake Bay Swim almost every year, and is a stronger than average biker, so there are a lot of people in every age group (including some pros) who will be chasing her out of the water, but she knows that her real challenge will begin at mile 114.4 when the run begins.  Just finishing under the finish cutoff will be a huge victory considering her medical history.

IMHO, the people who race in spite of these challenges are BA and deserve a lot more respect than they tend to be given in online forums.

. Much respect and understanding from this post. Thank you. Now maybe some arrogant (or perhaps intellectually-challenged or narrow-minded?) people will be a little less arrogant and more tolerant/understanding?
2013-12-28 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Snorkels have been legal for a few years now.  I saw one in use at the IM Arizona start this last November. 

It seems to me that if someone "needs" a snorkel to swim, then the IM swim is not a good idea, certainly not the deep water start of IMAZ.  But I suppose to each their own. I've read a few threads where people say they are faster/smoother with a snorkel, so maybe that's why these people use them.

Using a snorkel because of neck mobility issues never occurred to me, nor have I heard that before in online forums.  I've only heard of them as training aids.

Anyway, I'm happy this rule change from a few years ago allows more people to complete who couldn't before.

2013-12-30 12:01 PM

Nice, I like where this thread is heading. We don't know everyone's background or circumstances so we shouldn't assume what's best for them. Chances are they have already looked at their options.
2013-12-30 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guy at my pool uses one because his neck is fused. Pretty strong swimmer considering he is breathing through a key hole.

2013-12-30 2:03 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Exactly.  You never know the journey the person next to you took to get to the start line.  Sport is not just for the people who are the best at  it it is for EVERYONE to enjoy

2013-12-31 8:35 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

The snorkel threads crack me up because there's some kind of implied cheating that goes on if someone swims with a snorkel.

1. I already brought up the neck issue which I would think covers 99% of the people using a snorkel in races.

2. While using a snorkel does indeed make for a more efficient stroke as your not interrupting your stroke with breathing but it's really freakin' hard to breathe with a snorkel.  So any "advantage" with stroke efficiency is way offset by inefficient breathing.  Way offset.  It would be advantageous over short distances (maybe 100-200m) but the reduced amount of oxygen would certainly prove disadvantageous over any significant distance.  No way I'd want to swim 2.4 miles with a snorkel.

2013-12-31 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4919148

User image

Champion
Alabama
For you swim pros, what is the "proper" amount of head rotation with respect to the upper body? I try to rotate my upper body every stroke and find the head rotation is very minimal.

2013-12-31 9:20 AM
in reply to: Socks

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-31 1:18 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I think so as well and I believe you have to show a medical reason for it as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looked like a snorkel? - Ironman Louisville swim start Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMLP swim start tips or any 2500+ mass swim start tips...if any Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 4408 Posts: 30

2013-09-07 12:41 PM FELTGood

looks like I delayed the start of my IM swim training by a week

Started by cstoulil
Views: 879 Posts: 3

2012-06-26 4:19 PM trinitwit

question about IM Louisville swim start!

Started by skipg
Views: 1083 Posts: 9

2011-10-01 7:31 PM brigby1

Ironman CDA Swim start, video

Started by vrljc
Views: 2114 Posts: 18

2008-07-01 5:46 AM sgillen

Louisville, Ky Ironman swim start???

Started by skipg
Views: 1071 Posts: 9

2008-03-21 9:35 AM Gaarryy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 6
Until I feel comfortable in the pool, would it be silly to put in my pool time while wearing a snorkel? I really want to swim until I'm tired and force myself to go further each time.

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : August 8, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.