BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-04-05 7:49 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED
Originally posted by DirkP

Surgery:

Things went as well as could have been expected.  It was as easy a procedure as I have had so far and I was able to stay alert and very much awake during the entire event.  I was even able to watch the entire thing.  It was extremely interesting!!  I am hoping that I can get some pics from the procedure to post here.  

Anyway, during the procedure I could easily see the torn meniscus and watch him trim it away.  There was also some other damage that was minor but that is likely to be an indicator that I did other damage during my recent events, i.e. bike crash and half marathon and probably from the time I spent running for a couple of weeks when I thought things weren't that bad.

As he was rooting around in there I was able to ask a lot of questions.  The only way it would have been more interesting is if it was someone else's knee.  Doc mentioned he didn't like doing the procedure a third time but he said options for what I would like to do limit what can happen.  Based on other comments made during the surgery the other minor damage that may have made it more difficult to not have had trouble with running had I not had this procedure done.  I will have to discuss this with him at my post op appointment a week from Thursday because I don't want to put a lit of faith in the details I remember during the surgery because of the effects of the anesthetic.

My recovery should be pretty good based on things the doc and my PT said yesterday.  Keeping "me" under control will be the biggest hurdle but I truly feel I'll be alright here.  My history isn't quite perfect when I have tried to recovery from other injuries because of my will to get myself back on track.  This time, just as I committed to back in October, I will be vigilant to do the right things.  My goal is still to get to IMWI and any future triathlon plans hang in the balance.  I have been learning to be real with myself over the past 6-7 months and I feel I am on track at this point to make strides in proper attitude.  I have already decided that I may have to figure creative ways to be able to bail on runs where I've had some pain and still get home without causing more damage (hopefully none at all).  Long runs are the biggest concern here as I hope to be able to get up to 16-18 miles for my long runs before my race, but I'm not making plans for any running like that just yet.

Strength training, particularly my legs, will now become a staple to my workout regimen as I now see the importance of this for someone with injuries such as mine.  I have always felt it was a very good idea but I have steered away from it because of the additional time commitment.  I now seem to have the time to be able commit to doing this with both of the girls either working or not living at home.  

It's funny sort of, but I was just reminded of how many years I went without an ACL after blowing it completely during football in the late 90's.  I was able to that BECAUSE of all the strength training I did at the time.  The powerlifting elements held my legs in good strength as well as climbing poles and towers.  Now, after a job change (a lot of desk work) and not doing any specific strength training I have all of these issues.  As things have changed over these years I have been lacking in doing the things that would keep me healthy, physically.  Well, I have always been a slow learner.  Only now I can't play catch up.

Things are going to be fine!  I don't feel pessimistic at all as I begin this recovery.  As I stated in a previous post, I have a peace about this that I can't explain.  I just have to trust that things will workout.  And when that finish line comes into clear view, that stripe and banner will make my personal victory all the sweeter.  And if I don't make it, well, there's a a different plan in play.  A plan that has been laid with a much broader picture than I can see and one that is far more important than any plans I could have made for myself.

"....let endurance and steadfastness and patience have full play and do a thorough work, so that you may be perfectly and fully developed...." -Amp

Sorry I really couldn't read any more of this as soon as a read "rooting around in there" but I have seen pics on FB so I know you are doing ok

2014-04-05 8:03 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
I finally had what I feel was a really great swim, I did 2500 yards straight and I just felt good, I got it done in 1:01 which isn't super fast but would give me about a 1:40 for the full, but I have 5 months to work on speed so Iam really hoping I can get down to a 1:30

Terry, I have done a coup,e spin classes Defefnitly a break from riding alone plus the music, people etc makes for a fun change, let us know how the computrainer goes.

Tony how are the new wheels?

Dirk how are things going?

Warren, great riding!

Matt I know this is way after the post but my peak training is 20 hrs, something to also think about, is the last phase of the program which is 10 weeks is 16 hrs or more.

2014-04-05 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
WOW... Jo... great swim. I'm sure you'll surpass 1:30 at a good effort. I'm with you on the speed part. My last IM I finished 1:22 out of the water. I'm trying to get my HIM time to about 28 minutes (I have about 60 days until the race). I recently did 28 minutes for a 1500m swim at moderate (60%) effort so I have to get better cadence in the water. It's a long slow process to build up the that level.... It will be wetsuit legal so that ought to help.

Matt.. my peak training hours were during Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays because my IM was in January. It would be very difficult to get to those hours during any other time.

Good luck with the computrainer. They can be a very useful tool, although I feel using Tainer Road is as beneficial. One of the best things about a computrainer is the power number are supposed to be very close to actual power meter numbers and, as we've discussed already, training with power can be a game changer. A good focused power training regimen will more than likely provide a better fitness build in a shorter period of time. (This can also be done using TR at a lower cost as long as you have a decent trainer.)

Thanks Dirk... I have never heard of Trainer Road before so I just took a look at it on line. It seems very impressive. I may do the trial version and see how it goes. I agree that a regimen of structured workouts will provide a much better fitness build. My plan until recently was to just spend lots of time in the saddle. It is only during the past few weeks that I've been doing intervals and tempo rides. Sufferfest is amazing. I'm looking forward to the Trainer Road experience.

The computrainer is a location that about six teammates of mine train. they keep inviting me so I thought I'd give it a shot. The owner is an amazing cyclist and tri-coach so it should be a nice experience.

enjoy the weekend everyone.. I'll be going to South Beach Triathlon tomorrow. A few of us will ride about 20 miles to that location and do an OWS once we're there, cheer our friends with lots of cowbell and ride back home.

2014-04-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: tmoons

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
JoAnne sounds like you had a great swim and I'm hoping for the same to try and get my time to about 1:30 for the IM swim. It sounds like you are well on your way to be able to do that. You'll have plenty of time to keep working on your swim speed and endurance.

I've not put the new wheels on the bike yet and it will probably be a while before I actually use them. I'm probably a week or so away from riding outdoors at least. Next week is my last week of my 14 week EN outseason training plan and it is a bike and run test week. After that I am moving to 20 week IM training plan but will start at week 3 since I only have 18 weeks to go until IMMT. With that I'll be trying to train outdoors at the focus now move more to endurance. I think I've made some great gains on the bike and run with the EN plan. I'm in much better shape and am stronger and faster then I was at this time last year.

Terry have fun and enjoy your time at the South Beach tri. I do agree that you can make some significant gains by doing interval training both for VO2 and threshold training. Putting that together with lot's of time in the saddle will go a long way to making you a stronger rider.
2014-04-05 2:33 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Hey guys and gals,

I figured Id check in and let you know I havent fallen off the face off the earth, lol.  I finally had a good week of training, my running has been great over the past 6 weeks or so and I'm starting to feel the improvement, but my cycling and swim time has really lacked due to work/family etc.  I finally signed up for Challenge St.Andrews last weekend, so maybe putting the money down is what made me get the workouts in.  Im not to worried about about my cycling as the Tour of Sufferlandia really set me up nice, but my swim is way off. Im guessing my pace for a 1500 is about 10s/100m slower than last year.  Im hoping the next few months will get that back down.  The weather has been up and down here.  Last week we got hit with that big storm and then 3 days later I was out doing a 19k run in shorts and a light top.  Actually got out for a group ride on Thursday evening and put the hurt on a few people who used to do the same to me last summer.  Thank you trainerroad, lol.

Work should be a little more stable the next few months so ill be sure to check in alot more often.

2014-04-05 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: RE: My Races

Tony its funny how different people find the same workout different.  I love doing ISLAGIATT.  The climb of mount Sufferlandia is tough but i can get through it and after that its pretty easy. I interested to know because Ive been riding with a local pro who was asking me what my 20 minute and 5 minute power was.  Apparently depending on the difference between the two it will direct you on how to structure your workouts to see the most improvements.

How do you find Hell Hath No Fury and Fight Club.  I think those are the two worst for me.  I did manage to do A very Dark Place about a month ago and set new power records on Trainerroad for 5sec right through 30 minutes.  Tough ride but I was feeling it. 

2014-04-05 4:44 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Got in my longest ride ever on the roadie today- 70 miles, chilly and strong wind. I am out of shape!
I've signed up for a 100 mile race on May 3. Not sure if I'll ride the roadie or the tri bike... any thoughts?
2014-04-05 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Tony its funny how different people find the same workout different.  I love doing ISLAGIATT.  The climb of mount Sufferlandia is tough but i can get through it and after that its pretty easy. I interested to know because Ive been riding with a local pro who was asking me what my 20 minute and 5 minute power was.  Apparently depending on the difference between the two it will direct you on how to structure your workouts to see the most improvements.

How do you find Hell Hath No Fury and Fight Club.  I think those are the two worst for me.  I did manage to do A very Dark Place about a month ago and set new power records on Trainerroad for 5sec right through 30 minutes.  Tough ride but I was feeling it. 

Derek I have not been disappointed with any of the Sufferfest videos I've done so far. I like ISLAGIATT, it is pretty challenging but definitely a great long workout. I really like HHNF as well, I find that one to be pretty tough as well but I find myself getting caught up in the story lines and I wind up pushing myself harder to stay on point with the workout. I don't have Fight Club but will need to check that out. I've done Revolver and I like it, it's quick and it kills you lol. I've also done Blender, I like that one as well,, like Revolver it is a great for the VO2 workouts but longer. Today I did the Wretched, twice, back to back. OMG! A 35 minute stage from hell. I'm still getting the feeling back in my legs right now lol. I also picked the Hunted I may try that one on Tuesday.
2014-04-06 6:41 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Knee Surgery and PT update

Originally posted by wbayek
Originally posted by DirkP  I reinvented the Dirk bike hell workout, with less warmup and cool down but still maintaining the 7x4' 120% intervals. I actually made it through all 7, with a slight drop of a few watts over the last interval. During interval 3 I thought there would be no way I could complete all 7 and started negotiating with myself on how to back off, but I forced myself to just give it everything and if I couldn't complete it fine, but let my legs and lungs tell me that and not my head. The last 2 intervals were mentally brutal. I still wonder if my FTP is a little off based on being able to complete all the intervals, so I'll be retesting probably next week.

Regardless of whether or not you're riding at the top of your actual zone 5 or not, that work out is ferocious.  I looked at the TR report from your ride and it looks like you nailed it pretty strongly.  If there's question as to your current FTP maybe do another test?!?!?  I just love doing FTP tests!  Based on this ride and the mental effort put out, I don't imagine your far off your actual FTP.

2014-04-06 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by Jo63 I finally had what I feel was a really great swim, I did 2500 yards straight and I just felt good, I got it done in 1:01 which isn't super fast but would give me about a 1:40 for the full, but I have 5 months to work on speed so Iam really hoping I can get down to a 1:30

Dirk how are things going?  

It sounds like a great confidence boost for you.  Good job!  It's only 22 weeks until we race in Madison so there's all kinds of time to build that speed and fitness.  Just make sure to stay in the pool and do some intensity work.  One thing I am finding out about swimming is that these 100's my coach is having me do seem to be helping already.  As I said in an earlier post, he would like to get me to doing 20x100 "sprints" on no more than 5 seconds rest.  If you can work your way up to something similar you'll be amazed at what can happen in short order.

I'll answer my condition in a later post.

Originally posted by tmoons  Thanks Dirk... I have never heard of Trainer Road before so I just took a look at it on line. It seems very impressive. I may do the trial version and see how it goes. I agree that a regimen of structured workouts will provide a much better fitness build. My plan until recently was to just spend lots of time in the saddle. It is only during the past few weeks that I've been doing intervals and tempo rides. Sufferfest is amazing. I'm looking forward to the Trainer Road experience. The computrainer is a location that about six teammates of mine train. they keep inviting me so I thought I'd give it a shot. The owner is an amazing cyclist and tri-coach so it should be a nice experience. enjoy the weekend everyone.. I'll be going to South Beach Triathlon tomorrow. A few of us will ride about 20 miles to that location and do an OWS once we're there, cheer our friends with lots of cowbell and ride back home.

TR is a great way to have all the benefits of power without the expense of a power meter.  Really, the only downside to TR that I've seen is that you miss riding outdoors when the weather is good enough to ride on the road.  One thing to consider is making sure you have a good trainer.  The Kurt Kinetic trainers are said to be very close to an actual power meter and based on my own test I would say they're pretty close.  I have only done one test so the results may not be scientific, per se, but factors were very close.

If you can make it to the computrainer session with your teammates and the coach you may find out there's a lot to be gleaned there as well.  Ask a lot of questions and use as a sounding board for all of concerns.  One of the good things about most athletes/coaches we enjoy sharing most everything we know or have learned.

Good luck at today's race!

Originally posted by strikyr . I've not put the new wheels on the bike yet and it will probably be a while before I actually use them.

I'm probably a week or so away from riding outdoors at least. Next week is my last week of my 14 week EN outseason training plan and it is a bike and run test week. After that I am moving to 20 week IM training plan but will start at week 3 since I only have 18 weeks to go until IMMT. With that I'll be trying to train outdoors at the focus now move more to endurance. I think I've made some great gains on the bike and run with the EN plan. I'm in much better shape and am stronger and faster then I was at this time last year.  

I haven't put my wheels on my bike either.  I still have some work to do to get mine road ready.  I have had my wheels "on" the bike but I don't have a cassette, tubes, valve extenders and the tools to do the work with.  I'll have all of these items soon enough but I'm not in a big hurry to do anything yet because I can't hammer anything anyway.

Your IM training is going to be solid this season.  Carrying your fitness and experience from last year to this season will be of great benefit in the next 19 weeks.

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Hey guys and gals,

I figured Id check in and let you know I havent fallen off the face off the earth, lol.  I finally signed up for Challenge St.Andrews last weekend, so maybe putting the money down is what made me get the workouts in. Im not to worried about about my cycling as the Tour of Sufferlandia really set me up nice, but my swim is way off. Im guessing my pace for a 1500 is about 10s/100m slower than last year.  Im hoping the next few months will get that back down.  The weather has been up and down here.  Last week we got hit with that big storm and then 3 days later I was out doing a 19k run in shorts and a light top.  Actually got out for a group ride on Thursday evening and put the hurt on a few people who used to do the same to me last summer.  Thank you trainerroad, lol.

Work should be a little more stable the next few months so ill be sure to check in alot more often.

Glad to see you back!  

There's nothing like a race fee to motivate you to get your training in.

I think your swim times will come back rather quickly.  Depending on how aggressively you hit it, it should only take a couple of weeks in the pool to get back to where you were last season.  Put in some sprints following a good warm up and you'll be back to form.

The weather here has been similar.  Ups and downs!  Many of the group riders I ride with have been out several times already but I have been focused on getting stronger so groups rides haven't been the best place for me yet.  In the coming months I plan to get out with some friends and ride with them but I would hesitate to call them training rides.  I am able to hold my own with many of the strong riders I have ridden with for a few years but there are a lot of other riders that can't stay with us so it slows me/us down from hard riding.

Terry, here's another TR satisfied customer^^^^

Originally posted by pistuo Got in my longest ride ever on the roadie today- 70 miles, chilly and strong wind. I am out of shape! I've signed up for a 100 mile race on May 3. Not sure if I'll ride the roadie or the tri bike... any thoughts?

You'd better get your train on buddy!!!  I'm hoping to not lose much fitness over the next week or so until I can get back to a respectable cycling program.

2014-04-06 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Surgery Update.....

There's not a lot that has changed since my last update other than what I have been doing for my recovery.  After meeting with my PT on Wednesday I now have some exercises to do as well as weight lifting I have been cleared to do.  Many of the exercises are one's that I have done in the past to recover from my other injuries but there are some new ones as well.  None of the PT exercises provide a lot of stress to my knee and they're pretty easily completed with exception of the quad sets, they hurt!  They are designed to get me back to full "hyperextension" of my knee and they are pretty uncomfortable.  Ideally I should be able to match my right knee, which is -6 degrees hyperextension, as of Wednesday I was -1 or -2 after Todd worked me over..

My exercises are to be done twice a day and I can lift every other day with light weights for 15-20 reps.  I have been staying somewhat conservative with the weights by staying at 20 reps with an easy completion of all of them except for some muscle "burning."  The reps are done slowly with a pause at the proper position to allow complete muscle contraction.  (I see all kinds of people at the gym doing these rapid reps that are simply not accomplishing anything, other than going super fast.)  

I have also been cleared to spend some time on the bike but this has to be done at an easy pace as well.  I have done 2 rides of 30 minutes and 60 minutes.  The first ride (I don't have TR data to back this up) was between 40-45% FTP and the second ride of 60 minutes between 45-50% FTP.  Very easy stuff here but I'm spinning the pedals and keeping busy.  I imagine Todd (my PT)  will let me move a little bit higher in intensity when I get back to see him this Wednesday afternoon.

I'm still optimistic about my recovery but there have been a couple of days of brief bouts of skepticism.  Occasionally my knee will hurt and I get a panicked feeling of how short a time I have to prepare and the nerves start.  I have been on no pain meds and have not required any for any reason anyway.  I have had only a few aches and they have been very minor anyway, maybe a 1 or 2 on a scale of 10.  So far I would say everything has been successful, from my surgery to my recovery.

2014-04-06 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Dirk, looks like your recovery is going as planned.  I have to hand it to you though, holding 50% for any length of time is probably just as challenging as hitting a high intensity effort.  Especially after not being on the bike for any given amount of time.

Edited by mambos 2014-04-06 9:45 AM
2014-04-06 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

I love new toys, and when technology is involved its even better.  After months of seeing posts I finally dug into the best bike split site and now understand what it does.  You can load any GPX file into it and it will spit out a matching TrainerRoad workout.  There are a ton of settings you can get into with wind and road condition and such but really all I messed with was the IF percentage.  I found and uploaded the REV3 Cedar Point course and the Mohican Course, then road myself into the ground with a 3 hour trainer session following the mohican course.  Here are the results, For the mohican I did not set it up correctly and the workout it outputted was for 100% IF, which I am not going to do for 3 hours.  I turned the intensity down to 85% and did fine until about the 2 hour mark and it became a mental task to keep moving.  Legs were starting to give up a little and not wanting to hit the targets.  But overall I did well and held on until about the 2:45 mark where I just had nothing left.  

But after seeing the 2 workouts side by side, I am a little concerned that there may be more hills involved at Mohican than I realized.  I guess its time to get more interval work in to be able to get up the hill.  The Rev3 course shows it is basically flat with just a few hills which is about correct.  From what I remember on that day a consistent effort was what was needed to get through the course.  

(rev3.JPG)

(mohican.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
rev3.JPG (39KB - 3 downloads)
mohican.JPG (61KB - 3 downloads)
2014-04-06 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk I'm glad to hear that you're doing well with your recovery. You've been very smart and very patient with this and I can't imagine it being easy. You've do lot's of work already and still have plenty of time to prepare yourself for WI. Keep doing what you are doing and you'll be ready to resume you IM training in no time.

Matt the Mohican course looks like some kind of Sufferfest workout. That looks like a pretty tough course but if you were able to hang in there for 2:45 doing that workout you did a great job. Let's face it, 3 hours on the trainer is bad enough but when you are taking on a tough workout like that it's that much harder, again great job taking on that challenge. I think any hard riding you can do will get you prepared for the hills although I actually like to be able to get out and ride some if I can. It sort of a mental thing knowing that you can conquer them as you ride them and it also gets you prepared with how you pace yourself on them. Nice to do if can but not totally necessary.

After I destroyed myself with yesterday's back to back Sufferfest The Wretched workout and short run I got out and hit the trails this morning. What a beautiful day to be running outdoors on the trail. I figured no way I'd have any legs after yesterday but my legs were there and I had a great run this morning. I've definitely seen the gains in fitness from the outseason work I'm hoping I can translate that in some results in the HIM and the IM this season.

Edited by strikyr 2014-04-06 12:17 PM
2014-04-06 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Did the South Beach ride today. 20 miles each way. About 84 degrees, winds gusting to 17mph so not too bad today with that. Kept a good pace and was pleasantly surprised that the little Interval training I've done with sufferfest seems to be paying off, that along with the strength training and I'm able to keep up and do my share of pulling. Did not do the OWS because the on shore winds had created a sloppy surf and I just didn't feel like fighting the waves.

I've included some photos. One is on the way back north through Surfside North of Miami) and the other we were fooling around cheeirng everybody on and I posed as a runner.
2014-04-06 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Did the South Beach ride today. 20 miles each way. About 84 degrees, winds gusting to 17mph so not too bad today with that. Kept a good pace and was pleasantly surprised that the little Interval training I've done with sufferfest seems to be paying off, that along with the strength training and I'm able to keep up and do my share of pulling. Did not do the OWS because the on shore winds had created a sloppy surf and I just didn't feel like fighting the waves.

I've included some photos. One is on the way back north through Surfside North of Miami) and the other we were fooling around cheeirng everybody on and I posed as a runner.

(20140406_095230_resized.jpg)

(20140406_112620_resized.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140406_095230_resized.jpg (238KB - 6 downloads)
20140406_112620_resized.jpg (247KB - 4 downloads)

2014-04-06 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Matt, that course looks hilly. If you check out the 70.3 course I did on Saturday, well that is apparently a rolling hilly course as well, but yours looks a little worse. I set my intensity at 85% as well and with the numbers that I put in on Bike Split, it had be completing the course in 2:35. No way that's happening, but it was a good trainer road workout anyway. I'm hopeful that if I can keep the ride around 2:50 I should be able to have a good run that I can keep under 2:00.

Edited by BigDaddyD79 2014-04-06 6:04 PM
2014-04-06 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79Matt, that course looks hilly. If you check out the 70.3 course I did on Saturday, well that is apparently a rolling hilly course as well, but yours looks a little worse. I set my intensity at 85% as well and with the numbers that I put in on Bike Split, it had be completing the course in 2:35. No way that's happening, but it was a good trainer road workout anyway. I'm hopeful that if I can keep the ride around 2:50 I should be able to have a good run that I can keep under 2:00.
Derek, it's looks like we are both in for a challenging day, I can't wait!

Terry, those pictures are classic. I wish I had nice sunny weather like that to go out and enjoy a nice bike ride.
2014-04-07 4:44 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Matt and Derek,  I'll have to look at that file download for TR.  I may try to upload the GPX file for IMWI and ride the first loop several times ahead of the race.  This looks like a very interesting way to create workouts.  If nothing else I could humor many of you by posting what some of my rides look like for "elevations" over the course of my normal routes.  Clue: There are no elevation changes in NE Indiana.

Terry,  Your day in Miami looks like it was pretty enjoyable.  I'm with Matt on the weather, not that I can do much outside yet anyway but I am sick of the cold.  This weekend is supposed to be in the mid 60's and no rain and I may try to get outside for a ride if I can keep the effort low.

2014-04-07 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by DirkP

It sounds like both of your girls are a bit of a chip off the ol' block, both in athleticism and in work ethic.  It's great to hear that both of them seem to be doing great in each of their endeavours.  

That's pretty funny about Jordan getting all tatted up.  Hey, she's got to fit in with the inmates!  It sounds like she's going to have some great opportunities coming her way with the focus she seems to have on her life and direction.

Morgan seems to have a good hold on her athletics.  Does she have aspirations for some type of a future in college via cycling or, dare I say, triathlon?  I don't think she's done any triathlon, at least that I remember you mentioning.  That said, I cannot remember for sure how old Morgan is so maybe she's already in college?

Morgan doesn't have any aspirations athletically that she has expressed. She really enjoys being socially active.
She doesn't train unless she is with a group!

It looks like my girls are both interested in joining me at Fort Yargo at the end of the month for an Xterra though. I had this idea that I could do the race myself as well as being the swimmer on a relay team. Morgan would ride and Jordan would run. They love the idea...so we will see.
2014-04-07 3:54 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Ragnar Trail Atlanta was fun.

hundreds of people camping out and a festival atmosphere. I haven't ever been, but it's probably got the vibe of one of those hippy style concert events.

Some of the experiences were interesting and worth describing. (perhaps later)

My foot got hurt pretty bad on Tuesday morning's run. I don't remember if I mentioned it. I didn't run until the Ragnar event began on Friday at 4pm. I could barely walk afterwards. I only finished my 3 relay legs by icing my foot to numbness before each succeeding run. My foot is now swollen up pretty good and I have no idea when I might be able to run again.

(photo(15).JPG)

(photo(16).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo(15).JPG (134KB - 6 downloads)
photo(16).JPG (65KB - 4 downloads)

2014-04-08 4:33 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I hope that both of your girls do the race with you at Fort Yargo.  If they do, that will be another thing I will envy you for.  someday I hope the same thing will occur with me and my girls.

Ragnar looks like a fun race but right now I'm obviously glad I didn't commit to doing with you (for obvious reasons).  Lis and I love camping so the atmosphere would certainly suit me.

I suppose your foot problems are the result of the same condition you have been fighting for several years?  If this is the same injury does this make you consider having the surgery done any sooner?  Hopefully things can get under control and you can get back to normal activities pretty soon.  I know how frustrating it can be to be sidelined.

2014-04-08 4:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Derek welcome back I was beginning to think you decided to stay in Mexico

Matt that ride looks pretty rough, way to hang in there and get it done!! As far as the GPX thing I have no clue so I will wait for Dirk to load into TR and ride the Madison course off of his ride

Terry thanks for the pictures, I am envisioning Iam ther right now in some actual warmth

Dirk it sounds like your recovery is going as planned, Iam sure it is hard but taking it easy but the end results will be greater than trying to push to early.

Jeff sorry to hear about your foot but it sure looks like you had an awesome time!!

Tony I am happy to hear you training is going well, i am looking forward to your results come race and only 18 weeks left :0

We had a business class Sunday and a half day on Monday and then we had to race back from Chicago for another half day product class at the salon, I came home ate and then had to go back over to close because my receptionist was out so needless to say I had 2 days with no training, so Iam going to do the 8 minute test tonight on TR seeing as my legs are rested, i am thinking my FTP is higher because the last few ride seemed easier and then for the next 11 weeks I am going to follow the novice century ride high volume plan, Followed by the advanced century ride high volume plan.
2014-04-08 6:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Jeff, I had a friend who did that race, she says it was awesome. Sorry to hear about your foot.

I did a test TR ride this morning (15 minutes) to check the data monitoring and compare between Garmin, Training Peaks and the TR program. WOW... it's awesome. They are all pretty much similar.

I'll do an FTP test later today..... I'm really excited. I was able to create TR Bike Courses for my next three races and will begin to dissect them soon... I'm stoked

Jo, or any other Asphalt Junkie ... we have some really nice triathlons down here in the winter (Nov-March) .... it's pretty awesome. Our off season is pretty much the summer because it's just too hot to do anything here, it's also the Hurricane/Monsoon season it rains almost daily. There are a few sprint triathlons, but there's not much going on from June to September. You see, South Florida has two seasons, Wet (June-Nov.) and Dry (Dec.-May). In the summer it's really hot rainy and humid. The humidity usually drops in the winter and it doesn't rain as much. The best time of year is Mid-February- April.
2014-04-08 8:11 AM
in reply to: tmoons

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jeff sounds like you had a great time at Ragnar. I'm sorry to hear about your foot though. I hope you are feeling better and that you recover quickly. I also hope you have the opportunity to race Fort Yargo with you daugthers. I'm sure that is definitely something you're looking forward to doing.

JoAnne sounds like you've been busy, don't worry about the two days of missed training it's still early and it will probably help more than it will hurt you. Good luck with you FTP test, it sounds like you are making great progress on the bike.

Terry sounds like you also had a great time at the South Beach Tri. Thanks for posting the pics, all I can say is I wish we had a little weather like that up here. I'm really tired of the cold and wet weather and am looking forward to getting back outdoors to train soon. Since you mentioned it I think I have some friends who will be heading down to Florida to do some of the Tri's there this year. I think Key West may be one and I know for sure we'll have some folks doing the Florida 70.3 in Miami. I'd love to do IMFL some day but I'm not so sure about doing the ocean swim. One of my friends did IMFL last year and I have another headed down this year to do it.

Dirk I should have the IMWI bike course data from my Garmin when I did the race. If you can't easily get a copy of the file let me know I should have it still.

Last week of the outseason for me so this is a test week. I'll do my bike test on Thursday and I am scheduled to do the run test on Sunday but I may move that up to Friday. I'd like to ride outdoors on Saturday and run the trails on Sunday weather permitting of course. We'll see how it goes. Today it will be a Sufferfest day. I'll give the Hunted a go tonight. Like I always say how bad could it be?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.