BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-04-10 8:29 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED
Jeff, that sucks and is such bada@@ at the same time. Not sure if that is a good thing or not though. You stated it started during one of your earlier runs, do you know what exactly caused it? It doesn't sound like an overuse for that type of injury,

2014-04-10 8:51 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jeff I'm sorry to hear the news in regards to your foot. I hope you have a quick recovery and yeah running Ragnar with your foot in that condition certainly qualifies as being Bada** for sure. Notice I used the capital B as well. I don't think there are too many people who would have done that.

Final outseason bike test in the books with mixed results. My Vo2 test was 3 watts lower then my last test 6 weeks ago but my FTP test was 11 watts higher. Not sure how that is possible? I'm thinking maybe I didn't go hard enough in my Vo2 test. I thought I put in a good hard effort for both tests but to be honest I'm really more concerned with my FTP so I'm pretty happy to see the that all the suffering and misery of being on the trainer is paying off and showed up in the results of the FTP test this evening.

Feb 24th 5 min Vo2 test - 250 Watts
Tonight - 247 Watts

Feb 24th 20 min FTP test - 207 Watts
Tonight - 218 Watts
2014-04-11 5:46 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Jeff I am sorry about your foot, and I cant imagine how painful that must of been on the Ragnar run.

Dirk, that's great new that recovery is going so well, before you know it you'll be out running and as good as new!

Terry that is a big difference, I always find I work harder in a group as there are other things to occupy the mind maybe that's why the big increase, now you have a bigger goal to shoot for when you are on your own!

Tony, good for you! We're you doing your run test today or did you do that yesterday too?

I got my first ride in last night at the new FTP, and my toes fell asleep/tingling, I stopped at one point to loosen up my shoes thinking I just had them too tight but it continued and once I finished it took a little bit for the feeling to come back, i believe Matt had this issue a few weeks back , but i can't rememebr what the suggested fix was. I don't want to start moving things around cuz I have been doing pretty good these past few weeks with being comfortable.
2014-04-11 6:39 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Dirk... great recovery .. keep at it -

Jo... I think my FTP is similar to Tony when he got the new power meter..... it's just a matter of time before everything settles and I get something consistent. There are so many differences and variables that it's difficult to say what my true power is at the moment. I'm just happy to seep up with everybody on the road

Tony, solid effort. Maybe the difference in FTP is the amount or intensity of the training you're doing? I know, for me, that my legs get wasted after some run or bike intervals and I need a few days off to recover from that intensity before I attempt to test.

I got my first ride in last night at the new FTP, and my toes fell asleep/tingling, I stopped at one point to loosen up my shoes thinking I just had them too tight but it continued and once I finished it took a little bit for the feeling to come back, i believe Matt had this issue a few weeks back , but i can't rememebr what the suggested fix was. I don't want to start moving things around cuz I have been doing pretty good these past few weeks with being comfortable.

I seemed to continually have that problem. It usually arose around 2:30 -3:00 hours or mile 40 into a ride. I used to have to stop and take my shoe off or take my foot out of the shoe and ride with my foot outside of my shoe until the tingling resided. Then one day, I took the insoles out of my bike shoes.... and that gave my foot more space to spread out and I've been good ever since.
2014-04-11 6:56 AM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Jeff,  Everyone already knew you're BA!  Is there a surgery required?  I can assume not since you didn't mention it and you have to wear the boot, but if it's crushed it seems something more invasive might be required.  Whatever the required rehab, I hope it goes as well for you as it appears it's going for me.  Sure, I'll be running before you but you may be outrunning me in many future events.  I'm considering throwing off short course, fast paced running due to the increased impacts from this type of racing/training.  Although I am not sure which of the two, short course or long course, would be better.  One could easily make the argument that long course may not have the immediate critical stress inducing impacts of speed running but the impacts are over a longer period of time.  We'll see what happens.  I love racing everything so, I don't know!

TT-ing?  With my vast experience of climbing on the bike, I would say much of how I personally would attack a course would be subject to the course profile itself.  I can'y imagine holding FTP during a 2 mile climb, especially if this course is during triathlon.  I think holding FTP for anything longer than an Oly would be burning matches (but I suppose this is a rather obvious statement) as long course racing is done at a significantly reduced effort.

As far as dealing with downhills specifically, I agree that in most cases, again course profile considered, soft pedaling would be my biggest general strategy.  Most of the courses I race are flat enough to keep a higher level of intensity on the downhill to gain some "free speed" and carry it into the flats while maintaining high efforts. 

2014-04-11 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Tony this could have to do with the type of training you have been doing. I'm guessing it was all longer efforts geared to increase your FTP? I spent sims time talking with a local pro who talked about the difference in 5 and 20 minute power and as your 20 min power starts to close in on your 5 min power you have to shift your training regime. This will in turn give you a higher 5 min power which gives you more room to increase your 20 min power. It's kind of and endurance vs strength thing. Good work upping the FTP I'm sure you will be killing it out there this summer.

2014-04-11 2:15 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Tony this could have to do with the type of training you have been doing. I'm guessing it was all longer efforts geared to increase your FTP? I spent sims time talking with a local pro who talked about the difference in 5 and 20 minute power and as your 20 min power starts to close in on your 5 min power you have to shift your training regime. This will in turn give you a higher 5 min power which gives you more room to increase your 20 min power. It's kind of and endurance vs strength thing. Good work upping the FTP I'm sure you will be killing it out there this summer.

Derek thanks, that makes sense and I think you are correct. With all the interval training I've been doing I think my plan had more threshold interval work as opposed to Vo2 max interval work. While I've done both the larger majority has been geared towards raising FTP. I may also not have gone out hard enough in the Vo2 efforts even though I thought I did. In any case the focus now shifts to endurance and trying to maintain my FTP. With the training hours now increasing that means having to carry a higher level of fatigue which will make it difficult to raise the FTP further.
2014-04-11 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Last 5K run test for the outseason in the books tonight. I finally broke 25 minutes which I'm pretty happy about but I think I could have done a better job pacing myself. I was so worried about trying to hit the time goal that I went out too fast instead of easing into the run a little better. In any case it's a minor miracle that I was able to accomplish this. I was so close to breaking 24 minutes had I know I would have pushed harder but there is always next time

5K test Feb 25 25:52
5K test tonight 24:02
2014-04-11 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by strikyrLast 5K run test for the outseason in the books tonight. I finally broke 25 minutes which I'm pretty happy about but I think I could have done a better job pacing myself. I was so worried about trying to hit the time goal that I went out too fast instead of easing into the run a little better. In any case it's a minor miracle that I was able to accomplish this. I was so close to breaking 24 minutes had I know I would have pushed harder but there is always next time 5K test Feb 25 25:525K test tonight 24:02
great run Tony!

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (10KB - 6 downloads)
2014-04-11 8:45 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by pistuo Jeffy, hate to hear it about the foot. Stay patient. If anyone else gets injured, we may have to consider a name change to our group... ha!

I agree.  Pretty soon we're going to have to change the name of the group to the "Wheelchair Junkies."

2014-04-11 8:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by Jo63  I got my first ride in last night at the new FTP, and my toes fell asleep/tingling, I stopped at one point to loosen up my shoes thinking I just had them too tight but it continued and once I finished it took a little bit for the feeling to come back, i believe Matt had this issue a few weeks back , but i can't remember what the suggested fix was. I don't want to start moving things around cuz I have been doing pretty good these past few weeks with being comfortable.

There could be a few things going on here.

1. The first thing I think of is that you're toeing down slightly causing you to cram your toes toward the ends of your shoes.
  2. This can sometimes happen to me during longer rides as some additional fluid seems to accumulate in my feet.  It more commonly occurs when I'm hot or when riding outside the temps are up.  Outside is less common because of the additional air flow allows my feet to remain cooler.
  3. Either your shoes are too narrow or you could be wearing thicker socks than normal.  I doubt the former is the case unless you have recently changed shoes.  The latter doesn't seem to be all that likely either because I would imagine you would have considered this already.

Edited by DirkP 2014-04-12 10:08 AM

2014-04-11 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by strikyr Last 5K run test for the outseason in the books tonight. I finally broke 25 minutes which I'm pretty happy about but I think I could have done a better job pacing myself. I was so worried about trying to hit the time goal that I went out too fast instead of easing into the run a little better. In any case it's a minor miracle that I was able to accomplish this. I was so close to breaking 24 minutes had I know I would have pushed harder but there is always next time 5K test Feb 25 25:52 5K test tonight 24:02

This sounds like a really incredible run!  It would seem that you are putting in all the right kinds of work during your off season.  You'll blow by your IMWI time at IMMT!

_________

I plan to give you all a little more info on my knee sometime tomorrow.  I had my doc appointment on Thursday afternoon and I'll let you all know where I'm at with his assessment.

Edited by DirkP 2014-04-11 8:58 PM
2014-04-12 5:04 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
WOW Tony that is an awesome run, you have had some great improvements with your plan, I will seriously consider using it for next year.

Thanks Dirk, I have a long ride today so I will try to be more aware of my feet to see what I am doing with them.

I read an article inTriathlete mag, where Matt Lieto said he consumes as many calories used, in as many hours after a long training session? So say a bike ride of 5 hrs burning 4000 calories, he would then eat 4000 calories in 5 hrs. What would you eat that would fill that huge of a void that would be on the somewhat nutrious side without stuffing yourself?

Side note... Did anyone see the movie 12 years a Slave? We watched it last night and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.
2014-04-12 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Doc apointment

I went for my one and onl followup appointment this past Thursday afternoon.  The results aren't 100% favorable, at least over the long term.  Everything right now seems to be ahead of schedule and on track to have me running the first of May.  

The surgery cleaned up the re-tear of my medial meniscus as well as some minor damage to some other tissue (I can't remember what it was right now) behind my knee cap.  I am very certain the latter was caused by the bike crash and the meniscus was related to the crash but not necessarily caused by it, at least not directly. My ACL is in very good shape, as I've stated before, and the lateral meniscus repair that was done in 2003 with my ACL reconstruction is in tact and unharmed by either of these recent injuries.  That's the good news.

And the bad news.  As my doc reviewed my pictures with me he pointed out some of the "shaggy" parts of the femoral head.  It has a look that is rough and marred with very small peaks and valleys.  What he was pointing out was cartilage damage.  There's no way of knowing when this was occurring or actually occurred but it's likely something that has been going on over a period of time (the latter is my opinion).  The prognosis is that I have about 10 years before more work needs to be done.  He actually wouldn't discuss what happens in 10 years because "it hurts too much."  (Don't get the wrong idea about his comments or reluctance to discuss this either.  He's an extremely well respected doc who's developed a very strong clientele because of his successful procedures.)  I have come to accept the fact that I will have to have a knee replacement later on anyway, but there's a longer story to that.

So right now I have absolutely given in to the idea that I will be getting to Madison and completing my Ironman.  I have not looked beyond that at this point or in the shorter time frame either (as far as races).  I have taken a brief look at whether it's a good idea for me to do the Huff 50k trail race in December.  I have long wanted to do this race and timing has been poor the past couple of years.  Now, after another knee surgery and recent news of the deterioration of my cartilage, I don't know what I'll do.

My future in racing triathlon would appear grim I suppose, but I am not one to give up much.  I will probably make decisions based on ability and pain tolerance following this season and what happens in the run up to Ironman.  Understand, I am not down about this, in anyway.  Rather I feel I have the perspective that I have been blessed to have become as well conditioned an athlete as I am in a relatively short period of time and I'm thankful for that.  I am truly blessed!

2014-04-12 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Doc apointment
Thanks guys I think I'm a loooong way from being Flash but I'll take the additional speed. Anything that will help increase my pace and take time off my IM run I'm all for and that is what I've been working on doing for IMMT. I know I've said it before but I got to give the EN coaches props, their plans and philosophy works.

Dirk I hope we are going to hold off a bit on renaming the group although I had to laugh at the one, the Wheelchair Junkies, that is great lol. I'm glad your recovery is progressing well and that you are on target to be running soon and will be participating in IMWI. I'm sure the long term prognosis had to be somewhat shocking though to hear that. I guess if were me I'd probably not worry about it too much now, 10 years just seems a long way off and there may be other alternatives in the future. For now I think I'd focus on continuing to get healthy and getting ready for IMWI.

I got my first outdoor bike ride in today. The weather was totally awesome, it was a bit windy though at the start and towards the end of the ride but it was a great ride. I did the infamous North Shore hills ride which I did an awful lot last year and it helped me get prepared for IMWI. I can see that I have made great improvements on the bike.

Two very noticeable things for me, one going up hills I was out of breath after making it up most of them last season and really in need of recovery following the climbs. Today I noticed that I was less winded and the recovery was much quicker after climbing. Second thing was that I was usually limping back home for a good portion of the return trip on the hills ride. Today I was actually able to hammer along and at times keep up with my friend Wynn. I could barely keep him in sight last year for most rides lol. Just the fact that I was able to stay with him speaks volumes. I know it's early but this is a good sign for me. The hard work is definitely paying off.
2014-04-12 4:02 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by Jo63

WOW Tony that is an awesome run, you have had some great improvements with your plan, I will seriously consider using it for next year.

Thanks Dirk, I have a long ride today so I will try to be more aware of my feet to see what I am doing with them.

I read an article inTriathlete mag, where Matt Lieto said he consumes as many calories used, in as many hours after a long training session? So say a bike ride of 5 hrs burning 4000 calories, he would then eat 4000 calories in 5 hrs. What would you eat that would fill that huge of a void that would be on the somewhat nutrious side without stuffing yourself?

Side note... Did anyone see the movie 12 years a Slave? We watched it last night and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.

JoAnne that's crazy, 4000 calories? I might do that in a day every so often where I have a big training day or I don't eat very well or I wind up eating a lot or a combination of all those things but I can't imagine eating that much after working out. Especially within 5 hours.

2014-04-12 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Hello Junkies - Sorry for being absent so much. Life has a way of filling up on you sometimes. Work has been a little crazy with deadlines and the mood in the office is unusual. Some of you know from Facebook that a friend of mine who I work closely with was in a terrible motorcycle accident last weekend. He lost a foot and has a broken pelvis. I was finally able to visit him for a few minutes at the hospital yesterday (even though he is still in ICU and they usually only allow family in ICU).

My daughter got on a bus headed for San Diego this morning  at 6 am for a week long missions trip. About an hour down the road the bus should have passed the site of Thursday's bus accident on I-5 that took the lives of several high school students and chaperones. It was a little frightening seeing my little girl leaving on that bus, but I know God has a plan for her and I'm trusting in Him.

My run buildup is still going well. I did 3 runs this week (3, 5, and 7 miles) with no shin pain. I think that has healed up for good now. I'm up to 15 miles per week which is right where I wanted to be to start the 12 week plan for the Vineman HIM in July. Swimming and biking... not so much.

I did get to try out my new 910XT on this morning's run. Talk about information overload. It's a good thing my eyes don't focus so well up close or I'd have spent the whole run staring at the watch and taking in all the info. My wife bought it for my birthday at the end of march. 45 now and that puts me into the next age group. Not that it matters much since many of the local "fast" guys are within one year of my age, so at my pace I'll always be 5th or 6th at best if they all show up to races.

I haven't caught up on all the posts but I did read some.

Tony - that is a great 5k time! Nice work.

Jeff - sorry to hear about the broken foot

Dirk - keep up the good attitude and work on your rehab. I look forward to stalking you electronically in Sept for IMWI.

2014-04-12 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Dirk it is great to hear things are going so well and that you be doing IMWI, I have to agree with Tony 10 years is a long way out and technology in this area seems to change quickly!

Tony sounds like an awesome ride and to hear about your improvements makes me smile! Congrats all your hard work is paying off.

Today's ride was about mind strengthening I haven't slept well for 2 nights and I was so fatigued this morning, somehow I got it in and finished then I took a 3 hour nap.......I probably should of taken the nap then rode but like I said it was all mental today and I am gonna need that in 21 weeks!!!!
2014-04-13 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
I finally mad it outside for a long ride Saturday, and it turned into a hill workout, mid-west ohio style. As I walked out the door I noticed the wind was strong, actually somewhere around 25-30moh gusts. So I headed south straight into it, figured it was best to go into the wind on the way out so I could ride the wind home. As expected the way out was painful, I could barely hold 16mph and if I stopped pedaling I would come to almost an instant stop. But the pic shows it all, anyone want to guess when I turned around to come home? A lap is 3 miles

Edited by mambos 2014-04-13 7:54 AM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (175KB - 3 downloads)
2014-04-13 3:52 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
John great to see you checking in and I was very sorry to read about your friend when you posted on FB. He and his family are certainly in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he is doing better and can recover quickly. Congrats on getting the 910XT it really is a very cool toy and yes it can be overwhelming with all the features but I can say I love mine. You'll especially like it when you it using for swimming both indoors and open water.

JoAnne good for you in getting out there and getting that bike ride in even when you probably didn't want to do it. To me those training days are the ones that you remember most and they do make a difference plus as important as it is to train the body you also need to train the mind as well. Good job getting it done.

Matt great job getting out there and taking the wind head on. I had some of the same on the start of my ride yesterday but not nearly as bad as what you experienced on your ride. Looks like mile 24 was the turning point. One thing about the wind as much as it sucks riding into headwinds I try and look at it as free resistence training especially if you are lacking hills. If you are riding into the wind and uphill well that does just suck and complaining about it is definitely acceptable.

I managed to get an awesome trail run in this morning. I did a little over 10 miles in just under 2 hours with my friend Wynn. He took me off the beaten path and we ran a bunch of different trails that I've not run in the pine barrens before. It was like a little adventure today and I couldn't believe that we'd run that long or that far. I was totally done after that run following the bike ride yesterday. It's the biggest training weekend I've had since training for IM last season.
2014-04-13 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Well, I crawled through 9.3 miles today. I had spent the majority of the day cleaning up the yard and then planted 3 trees. Side note, do not take wife to tree nursery, all it does is cost a lot of money and creates a lot of work . Then my oldest had baseball practice so I decided to squeeze my run in during his practice, at 6pm. Overall wasn't terrible but my legs really had no juice to them, pushed thought what I could and switched to trails when I reached the park. Sometimes it's surprising at how much the body can take and then keep trucking along.

2014-04-14 9:38 AM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Good morning Junkies

I finaly hit the pool this morning. Only 800 yards in 50 yard segments, but I have to build back up after 6 months without a swim. Fortunately the YMCA is close to work so I can go straight to the office after my swim and still make a 7 am start time. Getting up at 5 was tough though.

Matt - Good job getting that run in around family time. I sometimes will do a run while my daughter is in her Kung Fu class, although the last few classes I've gotten the opportunity to help with the teaching of her class so I may not get many runs in that way for a while. Nice "hills" ride too.

JoAnne - Way to tough out that long ride. I was planning a long ride Sunday too and I wimped out because I wasn't feeling up to fighting the wind we had.

Tony - Nice job on that long trail run. Running new courses can sure help the miles seem to go by easier.

2014-04-14 12:45 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Matt's ride has me wanting to post my effort from yesterday.  I posted this in the IMWI thread a minute ago.........

I got outdoors for my first ride of the season yesterday and it was a doozy.  It was slightly breezy with sustained winds of 22-24 and gusts to 31MPH according to the national weather service.  I was still able to manage a ride with a 20.3 average speed over 50+ miles.  Now, before any assumes I should be riding in the Tour this year, I was riding with some of the best cycists in the area including a national champion time trialist for his AG.  the winds were out of the SSW and we were headed due south and then west for the first 25 miles and we were holding 18-20 MPH speeds throughout this first half.  The turn back north brought speeds of the upper 20's and low 30's.  Man I love that feeling!!!

Anyway, we had a quite a group of riders so we could all take turns pulling.  Although this was slightly above the threshold (85% FTP) I was supposed to be riding since my 2 week old knee surgery, it was fun and my knee seemed to experience no ill effects from riding at this intensity.  It was a heck of ride and an equally hard one at that. 

2014-04-14 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Way to go Dirk!!!
2014-04-14 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Nice job Dirk and Matt, I guess I'll post mine as well, lol. I took Friday of work and figured I'd get in a good swim, bike, run brick since i had the time. Did a 10x100y in the pool on 20secs rest and felt great. Times were about 4-6secs faster per hundred then they were the week before. The extra swimming is starting to bring me back around I think. Then hit the road on the bike. Into 30-40mph winds. Unlike matt I took the early push and ended up stealing a KOM from a local pro with a 42kph effort over 5 minutes that included a nice uphill section. Had I known I was going to take the KOM I would have buried myself on the effort way worse then I did, lol. Unfortunately the the ride home was at about 24kpm. Ended up only riding for about 50 minutes. Then put down a nice 10k run to round it all off. Saturday I managed a 2h40m trainer session and 4k run then on Sunday I completed the longest run I've ever done, 22k, and it felt great, held 5:30/km pace for most of the run a kept my heart rate pretty constant at 150, z1/z2 off me. Best feeling long run I've had in a while. Hopefully I can keep up the training over the next 3 months and I should be good to go.I'm away with the family this weekend for Easter, and I think I managed to find a 10k I can race in on Saturday morning. It's a down week so I wasn't planning a long run this weekend anyway. Should be a good indicator of where my run is right now.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.