BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-04-28 8:46 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED
Originally posted by JonnyVero

. Keep being flexible and patient with it.  ( ..and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us..)

Thanks! This was great to read this morning when I got up.

2014-04-29 4:43 AM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by jenbmosley

Thanks Tony! Looking forward to reading about your trail run results. Will- congrats on the 20+ mph long ride and on winning. Dirk- I second Tony's comment And I hope this is a temporary setback.

During my Half Iron training, jump from Oly to Half Iron over 6 month period, I steadily gained weight, about 4 solid pounds. My first Sprint In August of 2012, I weighed 128. In August 2013, I weighed 131 at my first Oly. Now, I weigh 135 and had a great half Iron race. I'm not sure how I feel about this weight gain. I tried to scale back calorie consumption during recover weeks (training scaled back). Whenever I scaled back calories, I found that I couldn't push through the upcoming workout due to major hunger. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'd really appreciate some feedback Tony!

I imagine your weight gain/hunger issues could be coming from a couple things.

1. You're consuming more calories than your actually working off.  I know it has been somewhat similar for me only I'm not gaining weight, I'm just not losing the weight I would like to lose.  I find myself eating things throughout the day that I justify as healthy (peanuts, lots of peanuts) but I eat far too many of them.  Maybe take a look at the things you're eating throughout the day outside of normal meals.  These little hidden snacks can add up pretty quickly if close attention is not paid to them.
  2. If you're struggling during workouts try to make sure you get a little something about 15-30 minutes prior to the workout.  I have found that I can put something small into my stomach and be alright for an hour or so.  I think for me it is a psychological thing that if my stomach's growling at me then I begin to fade more quickly.  But the small snack before will allow me a better workout and be able to hit target without piling in a bunch of calories that are unnecessary. 

General diet thought; I think I can eat a lot more because I'm doing all this work.  The reality is that I can eat much more but, in my case, I cannot lose weight by eating all that I consume on most days.  It's a huge balancing act to try to find the right amount of calories to take in versus the strength to workout.  If you're trying to lose weight it's likely you'll have to feel drained during some of your workouts given that we workout so frequently as triathletes.

2014-04-29 9:02 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by DirkP

Thanks Tony! Looking forward to reading about your trail run results. Will- congrats on the 20+ mph long ride and on winning. Dirk- I second Tony's comment And I hope this is a temporary setback.

During my Half Iron training, jump from Oly to Half Iron over 6 month period, I steadily gained weight, about 4 solid pounds. My first Sprint In August of 2012, I weighed 128. In August 2013, I weighed 131 at my first Oly. Now, I weigh 135 and had a great half Iron race. I'm not sure how I feel about this weight gain. I tried to scale back calorie consumption during recover weeks (training scaled back). Whenever I scaled back calories, I found that I couldn't push through the upcoming workout due to major hunger. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'd really appreciate some feedback Tony!

1. You're consuming more calories than your actually working off.  I know it has been somewhat similar for me only I'm not gaining weight, I'm just not losing the weight I would like to lose.  I find myself eating things throughout the day that I justify as healthy (peanuts, lots of peanuts) but I eat far too many of them.  Maybe take a look at the things you're eating throughout the day outside of normal meals.  These little hidden snacks can add up pretty quickly if close attention is not paid to them.
  2. If you're struggling during workouts try to make sure you get a little something about 15-30 minutes prior to the workout.  I have found that I can put something small into my stomach and be alright for an hour or so.  I think for me it is a psychological thing that if my stomach's growling at me then I begin to fade more quickly.  But the small snack before will allow me a better workout and be able to hit target without piling in a bunch of calories that are unnecessary. 

General diet thought; I think I can eat a lot more because I'm doing all this work.  The reality is that I can eat much more but, in my case, I cannot lose weight by eating all that I consume on most days.  It's a huge balancing act to try to find the right amount of calories to take in versus the strength to workout.  If you're trying to lose weight it's likely you'll have to feel drained during some of your workouts given that we workout so frequently as triathletes.

Jenn to be honest I've had no problem keeping my weight in check during the race season. My first season I thin I started at 190 and lost 17 to 20 pounds. I was hanging in at a range of 170 -173. During the IM training last season I lost more weight I was in the 167-170 range with a low of about 164. I didn't eat really well but like Dirk said you put in a lot of work it just seemed like I could not get in enough calories during that time.

This season I've been back in the 170-173 range and my weight seems to be holding and trending down. I do anticipate being in the 167-170 range come race day at IMMT. I haven't purposely tried to lose weight per se but I do tend lose when the volume goes up. It's not from a lack of eating either.

I think Dirk's points are all pretty true. I have a tendency to eat too much and then justify it since I'm doing a high volume of training. What I've tried to do is balance out the calories a little better. On big training days where I put in more time I'll try and get in more calories and days where I have a light volume training day or an off day I try to take in less. I'm certainly not the poster child for good nutrition either but I think I've been able to be more disciplined with the calorie intake.

The other point Dirk made about fueling before workouts is important as well. I try to have something an hour or so before although this year I've been experimenting a litlte with just using water instead of sports drink during my indoor weekly 60 to 180 minute sessions, 90 to 180 minutes and I usually eat something like a bonk breaker bite or an amrita bar which I've been experimenting with. They are all natural and plant based. I think they are very good and working well so far.

The other thing I do is I keep a food journal and track everything I eat with a calorie estimation. It sort of keeps me honest and in check.
2014-04-29 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Originally posted by JonnyVero

. Keep being flexible and patient with it.  ( ..and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us..)

Thanks! This was great to read this morning when I got up.

Hebrews 12 is my favorite passage from the Bible. I thought this was great to see this morning as well. I have this hung up on the wall in the pain cave and reflect on this often.
2014-04-29 9:27 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Terry and John sounds like you guys had some great workouts this past weekend. Nice work!

Jeff congrats to both you and Morgan on this past weekend's MTN bike race. I'm glad you didn't have any set back with your foot and it seemed like you were able to ride as if you had no problem with your foot at all. That's is pretty amazing as well as riding most of the race in your big ring that is not an easy thing to be doing on a course like you descriped.

I'm actually amazed that you clipped in as well I thought you might be using flats just because of the foot but on second thought is might have been better for you to be clipped in, probably less stress and no bouncing around on the pedals. And as usual a great summary of the weekend and the race. That sounds like a tough but fun course to be racing on. You must of had that rush going through the faster sections of that course. I read that and wanted to get the MTN bike out and take it for a spin.
2014-04-29 12:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Dirk-

Thank you for the response regarding the weight gain. So common sense -- stop eating more than I am burning. After reading your post and thinking about the past 6 months, I realize that doing 3 - 4 workouts of each discipline per week made me tired, not physically wore out, but sleepy an I ate to keep going. I feel like I ate right about 80% of the time, so I probably ate right more like 60%. I can tell my legs are meatier and my shoulders have more muscle, and I haven't gained inches n my hips or midsection.

I am hoping to resume training tomorrow and I realize that I haven't eaten nearly as much post Half Iron distance.

Tony-

Thanks for the input. I'm really diligent about taking in a bite of a protein bar and half a banana pre-workout. Up until now I was fine with the weight gain, but I don't want to gain anymore. I think my biggest culprit right now is that I eat to curb sleepiness and because I don't want to drink anymore caffeine. I think I need to schedule recovery naps in my training routine.

Edited by jenbmosley 2014-04-29 12:50 PM

2014-04-29 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Jeff-

It only took me three attempts to get through your weekend writeup. How do you find time to recap like that in one post? (Hmm.... maybe you aren't chasing a  3 yr old and 5 yr old around while cooking dinner for the family and typing on the computer)..... I m glad to hear you had a good race and I love that you share a passion for a sport with your daughter.

2014-04-29 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

IRONMAN TRAINING QUESTION

Need bike training advice.... leading up to the Half Iron distance, I logged a 20 mile ride, 30 mile, and 50 mile ride each week (most were done on a stationary bike at the gym during the last 6 weeks of training. This is a rough guideline of what I was doing.

I am planning on using the Free Beginner Full Ironman Training Plan -

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=33&memberlevel=1

However, the bike workouts start at 1-1.5 hr workouts for the first few weeks. Most of my cycling workouts over the past 2 months have ranged from 2 hrs to 4.5 hours. Should I drop my training down this much or maintain in some way where I am at? I know it will pick right back up in about a month.

2014-04-29 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Jeff-

It only took me three attempts to get through your weekend writeup. How do you find time to recap like that in one post? (Hmm.... maybe you aren't chasing a  3 yr old and 5 yr old around while cooking dinner for the family and typing on the computer)..... I m glad to hear you had a good race and I love that you share a passion for a sport with your daughter.

You are right about not having the interruptions. I do it at my desk at work during lunch. It took me about 15 minutes I would guess. It helps that I type 80+ words per minute.
2014-04-30 4:47 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

One other general comment about caloric intake during our activities.  I did a 63 mile ride with a group this past weekend, which was awesome BTW, and they had a SAG and everything.  It was a charity ride so they wanted to make sure everyone was well feed and so on.  We stopped at the first SAGat about 25 miles for about 10 minutes and I saw most of the people in my group scarfing down all kinds of cookies and other stuff.  I am certain they were taking in more calories than they needed to complete the remaining 38 miles, AND they had another SAG to stop at yet.  If the trend continued they would likely consume even more calories there and overall consuming twice as many calories as were needed for the entire ride.  My point is to simply reiterate how quickly calories can add up and things can become somewhat out of control.

I would encourage everyone to consider what is best for calorie consumption during their training sessions and keep the calories down to what is required rather than simply take in to take in.  I have, for a long time, taken only what I've felt I needed for my long rides.  For a 2+ hour ride I'll only consume part of a 100 calorie bottle during the ride.  As I approach 3 hours I'll begin to take on more fuel but I try to keep it to the calories needed for a given ride.  This takes some experimentation to find what works well and for the given time on the bike.  I have also done the same for running.  For long training runs for most of my marathons I may only consume 200 calories over the entire 20 mile long run, but I would have more fule with me in case I needed something for the latter miles.  

Just some added thoughts.

2014-04-30 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk I think that is a great point about over doing calories on the bike and the run. It is a lot easier to do then we realize and it is like you say unnecessary. I don't normally eat anything for a ride under 3 hours. I might do something like 100 calories but I'll rely on the calories from my sports drink.

I've fallen into that trap where I've gotten sufficient calories for my long ride then come home and over eaten for the day and question how I could have gained weight the following morning after a long and solid outdoor bike workout. It is sort of a trail and error type thing and very, very important facet of training especially for the Ironman.

2014-04-30 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Need bike training advice.... leading up to the Half Iron distance, I logged a 20 mile ride, 30 mile, and 50 mile ride each week (most were done on a stationary bike at the gym during the last 6 weeks of training. This is a rough guideline of what I was doing.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=33&memberlevel=1

However, the bike workouts start at 1-1.5 hr workouts for the first few weeks. Most of my cycling workouts over the past 2 months have ranged from 2 hrs to 4.5 hours. Should I drop my training down this much or maintain in some way where I am at? I know it will pick right back up in about a month.

Jenn you know what I'm gonna say. I think the bike is the most important aspect of the IM. I would bike as much as I can or the plan will allow you to. I wouldn't do less than what you've already been doing. I think last year I did 4 bike workouts a week. This year it's three with the EN plan I'm using. The bike days are Wed, Sat and Sun and it is all time based not mileage based. I'm sure there are some specific long rides ie 112 milers in the plan as well.

As you are probably already aware IMLT bike course is freakin tough. There are a lot a of big climbs there unless they decided to change the course that's what you should be preparing for. There were folks using gearing like 11-32 cassettes on the course and some of them didn't think they had enough gears lol. So if it were me and after reading about how tough that course sounds I'd be riding as much as could and I'd try and find some hills where I could get a least one tough, long, kill myself hills ride in a week. I did that last season to prepare for IMWI and it helped.
2014-04-30 5:11 PM

User image

Hello beautiful Junkies!  Just checking in so you know I'm still alive.  I've had a virus on my computer which impacts only certain websites - BT is one of them.  Facebook isn't, strangely enough.  I'm on my kids computer just to send this off.   Since my tax software wasn't impacted I didn't deal with it the last couple months but a computer tech is coming out tomorrow to hopefully get me back up and running. .   

Tax season is over and I completed pacing my friend this past weekend in her 7th 100 miler so my focus can now shift to tri specific stuff and I'm excited.   I won't even pretend to have kept up with all the posts and to go back would just overwhelm me so I'll just proceed from here going forward.  Thank you for accepting me back in the Junkie family.   

2014-05-01 4:33 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Thanks Tony! I know how I feel about the bike and I want to maintain so that will very much be my plan starting after this week.

Brenda- So sorry to hear about the computer, that can be time consuming and infuriating.

2014-05-01 4:46 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I am somewhat of a volume guy.  I love training volume!!  But volume at an early stage is not necessary to increase your fitness and develop the speed you would like to have for your Ironman.  I suggest for sanity sake and family time that you go ahead and follow the time requirements of the BT plan but have a HARD training focus during these bike sessions.  Doing interval work of varying length and intensities will develop a stronger cardio system and produce a higher VO2 max that can pay off during your long rides later in your training.  

The interval work that can be done are as short as 1 minute intervals at an extremely high intensity (120%-130% RPE) with short 1 minute recoveries, 4-5 minutes at very high (100% RPE) and equal recovery.  There are other way to mix in hard riding that will increase your fitness that we can discuss later if you like.  And there should be a rotation of the above listed rides as well as some other mixed intervals and long intervals with shorter rests as well.  And you should also do one long ride a week in an endurance zone to allow those adaptations too.

But just to reiterate (and add one more point), time with your young family is more important than training for this race.  Training for an Ironman is a long duration affair of 4-6 months and time later will get very long.  In the interest of making sure you keep your training volume from being over the top all of the overall training block until you reach Ironman, I suggest you allow the time to drop back and work on harder cycling and maintain your family time for as  long as you can before the days get long............

........Family first.

2014-05-01 4:47 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by bswcpa

Hello beautiful Junkies!  Just checking in so you know I'm still alive.  I've had a virus on my computer which impacts only certain websites - BT is one of them.  Facebook isn't, strangely enough.  I'm on my kids computer just to send this off.   Since my tax software wasn't impacted I didn't deal with it the last couple months but a computer tech is coming out tomorrow to hopefully get me back up and running. .   

Tax season is over and I completed pacing my friend this past weekend in her 7th 100 miler so my focus can now shift to tri specific stuff and I'm excited.   I won't even pretend to have kept up with all the posts and to go back would just overwhelm me so I'll just proceed from here going forward.  Thank you for accepting me back in the Junkie family.   

I knew you would be very busy during the tax season but now I'm glad to see you checking back in.  We missed your colorful responses and smiley faces!

2014-05-01 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Originally posted by bswcpa

I knew you would be very busy during the tax season but now I'm glad to see you checking back in.  We missed your colorful responses and smiley faces!

Welcome back Brenda! Glad to hear that you survived another tax season and sorry to hear about your computer. I hope you get that fixed. Like Dirk said we missed you over here, looking forward to hearing from you more often going forward. Since you are starting to focus on tri specific training I guess you can starting focusing on that little race you have in September now
2014-05-01 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

I am somewhat of a volume guy.  I love training volume!!  But volume at an early stage is not necessary to increase your fitness and develop the speed you would like to have for your Ironman.  I suggest for sanity sake and family time that you go ahead and follow the time requirements of the BT plan but have a HARD training focus during these bike sessions.  Doing interval work of varying length and intensities will develop a stronger cardio system and produce a higher VO2 max that can pay off during your long rides later in your training.  

The interval work that can be done are as short as 1 minute intervals at an extremely high intensity (120%-130% RPE) with short 1 minute recoveries, 4-5 minutes at very high (100% RPE) and equal recovery.  There are other way to mix in hard riding that will increase your fitness that we can discuss later if you like.  And there should be a rotation of the above listed rides as well as some other mixed intervals and long intervals with shorter rests as well.  And you should also do one long ride a week in an endurance zone to allow those adaptations too.

But just to reiterate (and add one more point), time with your young family is more important than training for this race.  Training for an Ironman is a long duration affair of 4-6 months and time later will get very long.  In the interest of making sure you keep your training volume from being over the top all of the overall training block until you reach Ironman, I suggest you allow the time to drop back and work on harder cycling and maintain your family time for as  long as you can before the days get long............

........Family first.

Dirk I agree family should be first when it comes to training. IM training is an extremely time consuming and life draining experience. I also agree the interval session(s) will help you maintain your power and strength. I think once you get to the stage where you are adding lot's of volume it's pretty difficult to increase your FTP when your carrying more fatigue into your training sessions. I still think if it were me I'd still try and maintain what I'm doing assuming of course you have the time to do so. I really think that the more you can ride the better off you'll be come race day. IMLT is a very tough bike course.

For me this season I do one weekday bike ride it's indoors on the training and it is an interval based session. The other two rides are on the weekend, Saturday it is a hills ride which is every bit as good as any interval session I'm going to do and Sunday is more of TT type ride. A lot less hills, flat and fast ride mainly looking to be aero during those rides. So one short hard ride, one long hard ride and one fast ride. I'm sure I'll be switching it up as well and doing some longer endurance rides as well.
2014-05-01 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Check out this article. Do you find anything surprising or noteworthy? (or controversial to you?)

http://www.roadbikerider.com/cycling-science/perfect-pedal-strokes

2014-05-01 11:29 AM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

NH
Originally posted by JeffY

Check out this article. Do you find anything surprising or noteworthy? (or controversial to you?)

Jeff, I'm actually not surprised at all by that pedal stroke article. I usually keep quiet about pedal technique because it seems all the rage to talk about circle and such, but I've always felt that circular pedaling is a fallacy. And that article hits all the points about changes in stroke technique as rides get longer and less intense, and what is really required to "train" for more efficient power output.

Looks like everyone is really doing awesome. I'll weigh in on the food while working out topic. I've taken to trying using just water even on long rides while I'm on the trainer. That way if I bonk it's a don't care. I have to say it's been surprising. I've done up to 4 hours now without any nutrition other than water and felt ok. I won't say there isn't some loss of energy vs. consuming some calories while you ride, but it's doable. I'm not sure I totally agree that this is teaching my body to burn fat at higher intensities or not, but it's been an interesting experiment.

I am very discouraged right now. I've joined the junkie injury parade. Something pretty severe has happened to my left shoulder over the past few days to the point I can't raise it up without significant pain. The Bonefrog obstacle race is only 2 weeks out, so if it doesn't significantly improve by then I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I see my ART guy tomorrow, so hopefully he can fix me up.
2014-05-01 2:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by JeffY

Jeff I'm surprised that the MTN bikers had the smoothest pedaling strokes. I find I pedal less on the MTN biking vs the road bike and do more coasting but the example in the article about getting up a loose gravel hilll or sand is true. From experience I'm the guy putting my foot down going up those hills. Maybe I should be riding my MTN bike more?

Edited by strikyr 2014-05-01 2:33 PM

2014-05-01 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Warren sorry to hear about the shoulder. I hope you are feeling better and are able to participate in the bonefrog race. You've been training very hard for that I'd hate for you to miss that one. I've also been forgoing some calories on the indoor workouts using water but I can't say I've gone 4 hours with that strategy. I don't think I'd make through that long a workout without a few calories.
2014-05-01 2:47 PM

User image

NH
Originally posted by strikyr

Warren sorry to hear about the shoulder. I hope you are feeling better and are able to participate in the bonefrog race. You've been training very hard for that I'd hate for you to miss that one. I've also been forgoing some calories on the indoor workouts using water but I can't say I've gone 4 hours with that strategy. I don't think I'd make through that long a workout without a few calories.

Thanks Tony. It would be a major downer to miss the bonefrog. On the plus side they refund your money if you have a medical reason (with doc note) or let you transfer to next year, which I will probably do. The weird thing is the shoulder started hurting after I woke up a few days ago. Yeah, yeah, cue the old man jokes!

As far the long ride, I wouldn't recommend going that long without calories really, but I guess I still have a pretty good hump to draw energy from!
2014-05-01 4:29 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by wbayek

Originally posted by strikyr

Thanks Tony. It would be a major downer to miss the bonefrog. On the plus side they refund your money if you have a medical reason (with doc note) or let you transfer to next year, which I will probably do. The weird thing is the shoulder started hurting after I woke up a few days ago. Yeah, yeah, cue the old man jokes!

As far the long ride, I wouldn't recommend going that long without calories really, but I guess I still have a pretty good hump to draw energy from!

Since it came on suddenly and without any particular trauma to point to, the odds are pretty good that it will subside quickly. Give it a few days and you might be just fine.

Calories...I think that you have proven that your body can effectively switch to fat for fuel simply by accomplishing 4 hours without calories. That's great. I think that those folks who are ultra vigilant to feed their bodies during ALL of their workouts can lose the ability to seemlessly switch to fat for fuel.
I say this because it's actually a very normal phenomenon to see sedentary Americans start an exercise program and they pass out because their bodies literally cannot use stored fuel and their blood sugar crashes. And the only people I've seen bonk are those people who haven't been in the fat burning zone before. (about an hour of endurance exercise without glycogen intake).

But come time for the long races, you want to be adept at getting calories while racing, so doing it in workouts is good practice.

On the pedal stroke topic: I don't know how much I've advocated for this publically, but I have been of the opinion for a while now that pulling up, pushing forward, and pulling back are less EFFICIENT. That means they might be a great way to increase your speed when sprinting momentarily, but don't have a place in your 'regular' pedal stroke which is done for hours on end (or even just 30+ minutes in a sprint tri).
Those muscles are designed for 'recovery' of the leg during walking and running motions and even though they are smaller muscles, that doesn't mean they use less O2 per watt of power than the big mover muscles.

I think it's best to simply push down. Although I do try to lift the weight of my leg itself off the crank on the upstroke. If for no other reason than I have a habit when daydreaming, of keeping downward force on the pedal all the way around. And I think that many of us probably do....so we can learn better pedaling technique in so far as we can remove parasitic power loss that we are applying to ourselves.

But I don't think this should end our discussion of pedaling techique.
I will bring up another sub-topic soon.

2014-05-01 9:06 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Uh, not sure where I left off....

Jeff: holy cow! You have a broken foot and go through the "jungle" like a beast, Nice. If I have a Broken anything I am on the couch begging Sara to bring my dinner

Jennifer, congrats again on the HIM.

Brenda, congrats on making it through the tax season. If your season was anything like a few of my friends had for their tax season you deserve to relax for a minute. I can't imagine having all that work in basically 2-3 months of time.

As for the calorie intake, I don't even bother to try and control it . I try to make sure that I am eating decent food and not over do it and go from there. I attempted to lose weight in March and into April and all it did was cause me headaches and stress. I actually at one point put on 8lbs which just ticked me off. So I gave up trying and all of a sudden drop another 5lbs. I weighed in on 4-30 at 180lbs which is probably one of my lowest weigh-ins over the past few years. One of the biggest thing that I have noticed is that I am may not be losing much weight overall but I am toning up quite a bit, even seen signs if a 6 pack the other day. But I quickly emptied those

as for the training front, I continue to make improvements and putting in consistent work. This past Sunday I did a marathon relay and competed my 5.3 mile leg in 38:07, even managed to drop the last mile in at 7:02. It helped that it was slightly downhill with the wind at my back, it was a lot of fun though. On the bike I have taken some steps to gain confidence in my strength and now feel that I will be prepared for Mohican in June. Over Easter weekend the family went on a camping Trip to hocking hills which is the closest thing Ohio has to hills. I did one ride around the park that wound up being about 15 miles but had over 2700ft of climbing. I didn't really try to go to hard but just maintained a steady effort and had no problems.

next week though the fun begins as I have my 1st tri of the season. I can already feel the nervousness creeping in and today was the 1st day I could check the weather for the race.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.