BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2013-12-29 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START: New Years Day 

GROUP FOCUS: The mentors in this group would like to be an encouragement to athletes of all experience levels and provide whatever assistance we can give to help achieve your personal goals. We are an intense training group but we have a very social attitude.   We are here to become your accountability partner as well as your coach.

Personal Bio:

USERNAME:
DirkP  Name: Dirk

STORY: I became a runner about 9 years ago when I got my numbers for a cholesterol screening and I knew my weight was too high.  I wasn't particularly big but I was overweight and my eating habits were horrendous. I decided to make a change at the suggestion of someone at work and he talked me into doing a 5k race and being a ultra competitive person it was over, so to speak. I got hooked on running after that race and began to get requests from others to give a half marathon a try. After completing this race it was all but over. All I could think about was running and racing. I decided I was going to do a full marathon in 2009 but unwise training habits kept me from running. A second knee surgery and the physical therapy that followed drew me to triathlon. The cross training effects of swimming and cycling again dragged me into another incredible sport.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily married to a wonderful and understanding wife of 26 years. . We have 2 gorgeous daughters (18 and 20), who MOST DEFINITELY take after their mother.

JOB: I am a Line Crew Supervisor with a very large electric utility and my hours can get kind of ridiculous during the storm seasons. I also can get some ridiculous call outs from any variety of reasons. I have responded to hurricanes in Florida and Louisiana and ice storms in Oklahoma as well as countless  storm events in our own service territories.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently focused on returning to running after having to take a brief hiatus because of an injury sustained following bike crash and compounded while running a half marathon. As I get back into running I will begin a focus on training for my first full iron distance race at Wisconsin in September.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  As stated above, my focus for 2014 will be on Ironman Wisconsin. I will likely do a few other races, a half iron for sure, to help me work my way into Ironman fitness.

LAST SEASONS RACES:  I completed 5 triathlons in 2013: 2 sprints and 2 Olympics and 1 half iron distance events.  I ran in the Boston Marathon this past April which made for the most memorable events I’ve participated in, for a number of reasons besides the bombings.

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: In the world of athletics my biggest success has been my marathon experience. In 2011 I attempted to train a qualify for the Boston Marathon. I outlined a race to make the time cut for my age group and missed it by 20 seconds. But what makes this experience so notable to me is that I was able to turn around and run another full marathon 3 weeks later and make the qualifying cut.

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose a little bit of weight as I begin Ironman training but I would like to lose it at least 3-4 months before the race.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been involved in competitive athletics for several years and I have learned the hard way that training needs to be done smart.  I have sustained injuries that have caused surgical repairs and I have been able to bounce back and get back on track.

I have a very strong personal work ethic and I use it both at home, at work and in the sport of triathlon.  My wife calls me an "asphalt junkie" and I try to live up to the affectionate name she's given.  However, balancing life and, most importantly, family sometimes can be a struggle and this is where I hope to be able to provide the most benefit.  I believe everyone can balance family with training, but it must be done smart and goals need to be established and modified according to those standards.

This group will be supported by 2 other Mentors to round out an experienced group of athletes that can provide all the encouragement and training advice any new person may need. We have been together as either mentors or mentee's for nearly 3 years. We have been together as mentors for the entire 2012 season. I believe the diversity that we can provide thorough advice and support will help any athlete, brand new or experienced.

The Mentors:  Jeff (JeffY), Warren (wbayek) and myself.

Edited by DirkP 2014-01-31 11:43 AM

2013-12-30 12:15 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition
I'm in for the Winter Edition and another round with the Junkies.

WHEN CAN YOU START: New Year’s Day

USERNAME: strikyr Name: Anthony (Tony) Holewienko

STORY: I'm a 46 year old guy who was out of shape and overweight 5 years ago. I started working out strength training and doing cardio beginning in March 2009 and dropped 80 pounds in 8 months. I took up running in Dec 2009 and within 5 months I was able to complete my first marathon. Not the smartest thing I have ever done but I was able to do it. I’ve become an avid runner since the end of 2009 and have completed everything from 5K to Marathon distance races. I made the transition to triathlon following the Hartford Marathon in 2011. Initially I wanted to take on a bigger challenge but after reading Jacques Steinberg’s book “You are an Ironnman” my goals quickly changed. While reading that book I thought “This could be me, why couldn’t I do Ironman”? I set the goal of being able to complete an Ironman within 24 months of starting my foray into triathlon I successfully completed 4 triathlons in 2012, two sprints, one Olympic and one half iron distance triathlon. This past year I hit the quadfecta so to speak completing a sprint, Olympic, HIM and Ironman Wisconsin 2013. I was able to fulfill the dream I’ve been chasing for the last two years of becoming an Ironman. It was a very humbling experience which I’ll never forget. I’ve participated in the Asphalt Junkie mentoring groups for the past two years and I can say you will not find a more supportive and awesome group of people here on BT. They have been very instrumental in helping me learn, grow and succeed within the sport and are a big reason why I was able to cross the finish line in Wisconsin this past year.

FAMILY STATUS: I’ve been married for 26 years. We have three children two daughters (25 & 19) and a son (17). My wife and family have been very, very supportive of my triathlon and endurance sports exploits. We also have a dog which we got this past year. She’s a real piece of work but was the perfect addition to our family.

JOB: I’m a Network Architect and work for a large Telecomm company supporting a well-known financial company. I work from home which used to provide good flexibility for my training schedule. However we got a dog this past year and that sort of relegated me to training in the evenings during the week. I lost a lot of the flexibility I had after we got her but I have been able to make it work pretty well.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently working out 6 to 8 hours a week. I swim once a week, run 2 to 3 times a week and bike 2 to 3 times a week with one of those rides being an outdoor mountain bike ride. The running and biking vary. I just started MTN biking this past year and I love it. I will be starting my training for Ironman Mont Tremblant on January 6. I wasn’t going to do an IM this year but some very close friends who mentored me and helped me get started signed up for it so I just could not pass up the opportunity to do it with those guys. I am going to go with the Endurance Nation outseason and Ironman training plans. I’ll do a 13 week outseason and a 20 week IM training plan. I’m looking to train less and get more out of it this year so I’ll go with the EN philosophy of fast and then far. I felt like I threw a lot of hours at training for my first IM this past year in order to just finish. I want to train smarter this time around with the less is more approach and improve on my finishing time at IMMT.

THIS YEAR’S RACES: I have registered for 2 triathlons so far, Syracuse 70.3 and Ironman Mont Tremblant. I am registered for the NYC Marathon this year as well. I was supposed to run it in 2012 the year they cancelled it so I deferred to 2014 as I was not sure how I’d feel after IMWI. It was the right thing to do. I am also doing a 10 mile running race in January. I’m not sure what other races I’ll be doing. I’ll see how things play out with my IM and Marathon training but 2014 is shaping up to be a great year.

LAST YEAR’S RACES: This past season I completed 4 triathlons, one sprint (Cedar Beach), one Olympic (Riverhead Rocks), one HIM (Syracuse 70.3), one Ironman (Ironman Wisconsin). I also completed one 10K (Seeds of Hope).

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: Well that is pretty easy, finishing Ironman Wisconsin was a dream come true. I can’t even describe how amazing it was coming down the finishing chute. The highlight of it all was getting to hang out with fellow Junkies JoAnne and Brenda as they were there volunteering. What an awesome experience. I’d say overcoming the swim at IMWI was the hardest thing that I’ve ever had to do. The conditions were brutal, 18 mph winds with 30 mph gusts made for a very tough and unpleasant swim but I did finish it and had a great day following the rough swim. Finishing the Syracuse 70.3 in a torrential downpour and thunderstorm along with racing it with JoAnne was a pretty close second to IMWI. Overall 2013 was a great year.

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm looking to just get back down to my racing weight range of 167 to 170 pounds. I’m current maintaining my weight range of 170 to 173 pounds. I know I’ll get back down under 170 once I start the outseason.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I think I’m good mentee because even after two seasons of triathlon and four seasons of endurance sports I feel like there is still so much that I don’t know. The sport is constantly changing and there is always something new to learn about it. I felt like one of the reasons why I was able to finish IMWI last year was that I was a great student. I listened well to those who took the time out to help and mentor me. I feel like I learned my lessons well and was able to apply them to be successful. The mentors of this group have been doing this longer than I have and they’ve learned a lot through trial and error. Their knowledge and experience goes a long way for me not having to learn lessons that they have already learned and are so willing to share. I also want to continue to improve. The biggest lesson I learned last season was that you don’t do an Ironman on your own. It requires a tremendous amount of help and support which this group provided to me this past year. I am smart enough to know that I can’t do it on my own and I am looking forward to taking the journey again with this group and sharing in everyone’s experiences and successes in 2014.

2013-12-30 3:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NH
WHEN CAN YOU START: Immediately.
USERNAME: wbayek NAME: Warren

STORY: I am currently 51 years old. Team sport guy through college, mainly hockey but played football as well. Played competitive racquetball in SD for a number of years, but at age 30 added a few pounds a year until mid-40s. At a yearly physical, my doc pointed out that every year I was adding a few more pounds and few more points of all the bad markers, so after 15 years the numbers were actually quite alarming. I immediately went into my typical addict mode and lost 40 pounds and greatly improved all my numbers. While rehabbing tennis elbow from hockey, the PT kept talking about the Ironman races she and her husband did, and I signed up for a sprint on a whim - despite not being able to swim and never having run in my life other than as part of a sport. Five years later, I'm fully addicted to S/B/R, and I'm a member of a loosely organized team run by the aforementioned PT. I’ve migrated to the front of the pack on the bike, while my running and swimming are improving but still under construction.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 19 years, 3 sons - 17, 15, 11. My wife has been a runner her entire life and we love running together on weekends. The oldest son is my sherpa and comes to all my races. Me and my two oldest do a sprint as a relay team each year. My youngest has Down syndrome, which adds a lot of color to our family.
JOB: I'm a software guy who has managed to Peter Principle my way to directorship level.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am continuing building my endurance base and learning how to stay healthy while increasing volume. Even though biking is a relative strength, I still maintain a bike focus as I love cycling. I also plan to keep doing relays as I have two very close friends who are a swimmer and runner respectively, at least until I convert them into triathletes.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year I had three A races – a half iron, a half iron Aqubike and the relay bike leg of a half iron team. I won the aquabike 70.3, my team won the Ironman Timberman Half Ironman race, and I completed the Pumpkinman 70.3 with a slight PR. I also had great satisfaction in winning another sprint tri relay with my 2 oldest sons performing the swim and run legs! As a 50-something, it was thrilling to continue to build speed even as I am in the “older” category.

THIS YEAR’S RACES: I will be defending my aquabike win, my boys and I are doing another relay, I’ll be doing several sprints and an Olympic-ish distance race, I have a 70.3 to end the year. My philosophy on this sport is to have fun and keep your family balance.
WEIGHTLOSS: I'd like to get my weight down under 170 for the race season, so I still will need to lose the 15 pound winter coat again.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I absolutely love triathlon and the triathlon lifestyle. Despite a less than ideal endurance athlete background and body type, with focused training, I've improved in every discipline each year. I’m a techie geek, so I am very comfortable talking technical training in any of the three sports, and I am especially well versed in training with power for the bike. As a busy and older triathlete with 3 sons I have learned to best ways to maximize time spent vs. gains to be made, and how to stay healthy to maintain consistent training. Most importantly, while triathlon is a fun and consuming past time, I think it is very important to balance this addiction against the truly important things in your life, and I really enjoy helping everyone find that balance and learn how to make sure this sport fits into your overall lifestyle without compromising your family and other life interests. Along with the other mentors, we each offer a different perspective on many of the issues facing triathletes, which I feel is one of the major strengths of this group.

Edited by wbayek 2013-12-30 3:15 PM
2013-12-30 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

I'm also back and in for the Winter Edition

USERNAME: JonnyVero Name: John Chelonis (Vero to many of my online friends. Since there were 3 "John's" in my first run with the Junkies I told everyone to use my gammer name "Vero" to help avoid confusion. Since so many of the Junkies are my Facebook friends now too, please feel free to use John if you'd like)

STORY: I’m 44 years old (45 in March) and I’ve been playing with being a Runner and Triathlete for about 3 years. Previous to that I was an out of shape 41 year old Dad who played a little softball and rode my mountain or road bike only occasionally. Never did any running and only swam at the lake on summer days and that was just splashing around with my kids. In late 2010 my family was in a car accident and my wife and I had to do some physical therapy because of ligament damage to our necks. We transitioned from PT to learning to run together with a couch to 5k program from this site, and then we learned how to swim using the Total Immersion videos. We did our first 5k run together in May 2011 and then our first super sprint tri in September of 2011. Since then I’ve done a few races each year. I think it was early 2012 when I first joined the Junkies. I had a really fun Tri season that year (4 sprints) and I pushed my personal boundaries into some longer distance (10k and 12K) runs. The latter half of 2013 has been a bit of a letdown because of work schedule but I’m hoping 2014 will be my best year yet!

FAMILY STATUS: I’ve been married to my wonderful wife, Becky, for 15 years. We have two daughters (12 & 9) and a recently adopted 2 year old black lab named Pi. I also have a son (22) who will be making me a grandfather sometime in July.

JOB: I’ve worked for the same company 23 years and I’m an Engineering Technician. Basically I draft plans for roads, bridges, retaining walls, pipelines, dams, and manage the electronic “CAD” drawings for those types of projects. The project schedules are completely out of my hands and will sometimes step on my race plans as they did this past year when I had to cancel doing my first Olympic distance tri.

CURRENT TRAINING: Nothing! I’ve been trying to recover from some shin splint pain and I’ve been off training for 2 weeks now. I was trying to build my run back up after the slacking off in late 2013. I've been off the bike and out of the pool since September. I hope to work out a new schedule in the next week. I’ll probably be hitting the pool at the YMCA in January with the “New Year’s Resolutionists” to start building my swim back up.

THIS YEAR’S (2014) RACES: I have registered for 1 triathlon so far, the Ironman 70.3 Vineman on July 13th. It will be my first Half Iron distance race and my only goals are to finish and have fun. I am also hoping to do a sprint tri in April (if we get enough rain to fill the lakes back up by then) and my first Olympic distance tri in June as a training race for the HIM.

For running races I’m about to start the Frosty Fun Run race series which runs every Saturday from Jan 4 through March 8th on courses from 3.6 miles to 5.5 miles with one 10 miler thrown in to the mix. I might run a half marathon in May if the schedule works out.

LAST YEAR’S (2013) RACES: I completed 1 sprint and 2 super sprint triathlons in 2013. I ran the frosty fun run series, a couple of 5k races, a 10 mile and a half marathon in 2013.

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: Completing the Half Marathon in May

WEIGHT LOSS: I’ve been packing on the pounds the last half of 2013 and am up to 194, from my 2012 race weight of 181, so I have some work to do on that front to improve my eating habits and get things under better control again.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I’ve done my share of short Triathlons but I certainly don’t know it all, and leading up to my first HIM race in July I will need all the advice I can get from the wealth of experience among the Junkie’s Mentors who have gone longer distances.

2013-12-30 10:05 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

I'm in for the Winter Edition and another round with the Junkies.

WHEN CAN YOU START: right now

USERNAME: pistuo Name: Will Hagle

STORY: Got into tris in 2010 out of curiousity. Had never ran more than 4 miles. Had never biked or swam. I've come a long way but I'm still a scrub.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for over 9 years. Had our first baby (Claire) this year.

JOB: Youth Minister

CURRENT TRAINING: Just winging it... no specific plan at the moment.

THIS YEAR’S RACES: It's going to be a really busy year for me, so I'm not sure what I will do... thinking about a HIM though.

LAST YEAR’S RACES: One 100 mile bike race and one full IM distance.

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: I'd have to go with the IM... finished in 13:39 and that's with a 27 min T-1 time. My first thought as I crossed the finish line: I bet I could get under 13 hours! Really wish I could take another stab at it this year.

WEIGHT LOSS: I went from 199 to 163 during IM training... and that's due to WO's alone (since my diet is nonexistent). I'm currently around 180.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Just let me in this group or I will drive to Indiana and throw eggs at your house, then I'll beat you in swimming a 50 yarder (I get a 30 sec handicap), then we'll go for a bike ride and you'll lay your bike down and get road rash, you'll probably cry a little too, then we will get donuts and chick-fil-a after...

2013-12-31 5:45 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Good Morning
I am in and will post a bio soon

2013-12-31 3:32 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
posted this in the main forums, but open to any advice or thoughts you guys have...

So I just got into tris a few years ago. Have a nice tri bike and rode it over 4,000 miles this year (including an IM). After my race, I decided it was time to add a roadie to the stable and picked up a nice all carbon Scott CR 1 Elite model on closeout at the end of the year. I got fit on it and have the same saddle as my tri bike. I've only been riding it about once a week and have got in 3 rides on it so far (all in the 40 mile range) and after each ride I am having pain in my lower back (that lasts about a week). I think some of it is soreness, but there is also some pain that feels like more than soreness.

Any advice?
2014-01-01 5:04 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

NH
I've create a tranerroad team for the junkies:

http://www.trainerroad.com/teams/445-asphalt-junkies

We can share workouts and check out each other's ride.s If you are riding a trainer this winter, I highly recommend using this program. It gives you a great way to target your winter riding and really improve.
2014-01-02 6:33 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin

USERNAME: Jo63 Name: JoAnne

STORY: I’m 50 years old; LOVE Bon Jovi oh wait… this is triathlon stuff Anyway, I did sports in High School, Cross Country, track, softball. I wasn't a “lettering” athlete but did alright. After high school I took time out…about 22 years to raise the kids but when I saw the Ironman Championship on TV back in 1984 I knew someday I would be doing triathlons. I attempted IM Wisconsin in 2012 and unfortunately got really sick and only made it to mile 85 on the bike. The most important lesson I learned from this with the help of my Dr and my trainer is that I had under nourished my body ( didn't realize I wasn't eating enough) for over a year and I had some work to do to get healthy again which I have and now it is time to redeem myself and conquer the IM Wisconsin course!

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for 30 years, we have 3 kids (AJ 29, Amanda 27, and Justin 26) and our Chocolate Lab Riley. I also have a daughter in law, and my youngest is engaged and she has a daughter who once in a while calls me Grandma

JOB: I own a salon and have 15 employees, and most of them are under 25 which can be a bit trying at times but they are a really great group of people and it is fun to mentor them and see them grow, this is probably the best part of my job!

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently working out 6 to 8 hours a week, mostly biking and running with an occasional swim and I work with a trainer once a week who has helped me soo much with my nutrition. I am focusing on biking to get my speed up I used to hate biking but am learning a lot about it so I am beginning love it .

THIS YEAR’S RACES: I am registered for 3 triathlons an Olympic in June , Ironman 70.3 Racine in July and IM Wisconsin in September which I am really excited about because Dirk & Brenda will be doing this one too!!!

LAST YEAR’S RACES: This past season I completed a Half Marathon (I ran this with my daughter, my daughter in-law and my youngest fiancé) I did HIM in Syracuse (with Tony) as he said this one ones crazy with thunder lightening and torrential rain and he forgot to mention the heat index that day if I recall was 116.

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: I’ll be honest I have yet to feel like I have had a race that I can say wow that was awesome. So I am still a work in progress.

WEIGHT LOSS: I am not quite sure what happened after my birthday in September, but I am working on loosing about 12 pound before my IM training starts and then an additional 8-10 more when IM training starts but this will not be a focus cuz I don’t want a replay of the last IM.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am heading into my 8th year of doing triathlons off and on but last year felt like my first year. I have found comfort in this group knowing I can ask all the silly questions I need to and know that everyone is there to help me. I am really looking forward to 2014!
2014-01-02 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Claiming my spot before we fill up, I will post bio sometime soon! It's a great read
2014-01-05 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm in, was looking for the thread and didn't see it. I'll post bio update tonight!

2014-01-05 6:50 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
WHEN CAN YOU START: New Year’s DayUSERNAME: BigDaddyD79STORY: im 34 years old and a married father of an 18 month old little princess. I started training for Tri's 8 weeks before she was born because I didn't want her having a lazy out of shape dad. It's been a long journey over the past few years with a lot of missed workouts due to father/husband/work duties but I'm doing the best I can. I'm pretty much addicted to Tri's and cycling and can't see myself stopping anytime in the near future.FAMILY STATUS: Married to a beautiful wife who is an primary school teacher. We are the proud parents of an 18 month old girl who is half princess half Tasmanian devil. She doesn't stop. Ever. No really like ever. I can't wait to put her on a bike. I'm guessing she has a FTP close to mind already.JOB: I'm a police officer with the Royal Canadian Mounted Poilce. I'm part of a drug investigation unit for huge past few years. I love my job but the crazy work schedule makes regular training some times hard.CURRENT TRAINING: I've been doing a bit of bike focus for the past few months after taking a very easy Sept and Oct. I'm just starting a run build for a HM in May. I usually try and bike and run 3-4 times a week each and swim 2-3 times a week.THIS YEAR’S (2014) RACES: My main plan is focusing around the 70.3 Challange St.Andrews in July. Also planning on a few local sprints and a few Olympics. Hoping to get a few 10k's or 5k's in when I have a chance. Other then that it's the HM in May to kick the season off.LAST YEAR’S (2013) RACES: 1st HM last may, also completed 2 sprints and two Olympic distance races. One 10k judge to round it out.MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: Completing the Half Marathon in May, first one ever, tried before but injuy set me back. Dropping my 10k PR by over a minute, and setting a sprint PR of 1:11WEIGHT LOSS: I lost 40 lbs from my original starting weight however I'm back up 10 lbs to about 215lbs. Hoping to get down to 195 for race season.WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm a good learner and always looking for new ideas and imput. I do my best with a bit of motivation from others. I'd also start to like to be able o share what I've learned about training and injuries with others.
2014-01-07 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Hey Dina you sounded like me with my ride today, my legs are a bit sore from yesterday and my ride was a little rough funny thing though the power meter glitched out and my max read 999 lol

2014-01-07 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by Jo63

Hey Dina you sounded like me with my ride today, my legs are a bit sore from yesterday and my ride was a little rough funny thing though the power meter glitched out and my max read 999 lol

JoAnne I've had that happen before as well with KK bike computer. I think if the tension on the trainer is not tight enough and you have some slippage on the rear wheel you'll have that happen occassionally especially when you are doing some very hard intervals.
2014-01-07 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by strikyr

Originally posted by Jo63

JoAnne I've had that happen before as well with KK bike computer. I think if the tension on the trainer is not tight enough and you have some slippage on the rear wheel you'll have that happen occassionally especially when you are doing some very hard intervals.

Good to know thanks!I will try to make sure I check it more often.
2014-01-07 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I completed my 5K run test this evening. I had to do it on the treadmill though it was just way too cold to do it at the track tonight, dangerously cold with wind chills in the negatives. It's the first time I've run that fast on a treadmill. I was hoping for better results though, I did a 26:51 which isn't bad for me. I haven't run a 5K since 2009 when I first started running so I had no idea what my pace would be. I know when I did the Cedar Beach Sprint Tri this past Oct. and ran a 25 something so I can run faster it's just never been a big focus for me.

I guess I have just accepted the fact that I have not been blessed with speed and have focused more on my endurance. I can run distance but I think I've been selling myself a bit short on the fact that I'd never get any faster. I think I can though, I mean I'm not expecting to run 7 min miles but I think I can get myself under 25 if not 24 minutes for a 5K. I ran the fastest mile that I can ever remember running a 8:00 flat and I probably could have cracked 8 if I would have pushed a little harder a little earlier but overall I think I gave it mostly everything I had. So again for me this was a good place to start and hopefully over the next 13 to 14 weeks I can make some progress with EN's outseason program and improve my overall speed and pace.

5K splits and Avg. HR:

Mile-1 9:19 Avg HR 140
Mile-2 8:36 Avg HR 154
Mile-3 8:00 Avg HR 164
Mile-4 0:46 Avg HR 164

2014-01-08 5:34 PM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by strikyr I completed my 5K run test this evening. I had to do it on the treadmill though it was just way too cold to do it at the track tonight, dangerously cold with wind chills in the negatives. It's the first time I've run that fast on a treadmill. I was hoping for better results though, I did a 26:51 which isn't bad for me. I haven't run a 5K since 2009 when I first started running so I had no idea what my pace would be. I know when I did the Cedar Beach Sprint Tri this past Oct. and ran a 25 something so I can run faster it's just never been a big focus for me. I guess I have just accepted the fact that I have not been blessed with speed and have focused more on my endurance. I can run distance but I think I've been selling myself a bit short on the fact that I'd never get any faster. I think I can though, I mean I'm not expecting to run 7 min miles but I think I can get myself under 25 if not 24 minutes for a 5K. I ran the fastest mile that I can ever remember running a 8:00 flat and I probably could have cracked 8 if I would have pushed a little harder a little earlier but overall I think I gave it mostly everything I had. So again for me this was a good place to start and hopefully over the next 13 to 14 weeks I can make some progress with EN's outseason program and improve my overall speed and pace. 5K splits and Avg. HR: Mile-1 9:19 Avg HR 140 Mile-2 8:36 Avg HR 154 Mile-3 8:00 Avg HR 164 Mile-4 0:46 Avg HR 164

Tony nice run. I have no doubt you can get faster if that is your goal!

2014-01-08 5:47 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Bronze member

Alright, I tried Sufferfest Local Hero today.

Funny thing, I was thinking I was just going to fluff my way through the workout and not really try to hit the cadence numbers and all that today. Just get a feel for the workout. Ummm, that didn't work out so well.  During the last sprint my HR hit 203 and I got a little freaked! I pedaled easy for the rest of the workout after that.

I think it is safe to say I need to do one of those tests to set my zones and all that but I can't find the instructions anywhere. If anyone can find the link or remind me what to do I'd appreciate it.

I think my HR seems high for the whole workout:

Avg HR: 158 bpm
Max HR: 203 bpm

My resting when I got on the bike was 75 bpm.

2014-01-08 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by trigal38

Funny thing, I was thinking I was just going to fluff my way through the workout and not really try to hit the cadence numbers and all that today. Just get a feel for the workout. Ummm, that didn't work out so well.  During the last sprint my HR hit 203 and I got a little freaked! I pedaled easy for the rest of the workout after that.

I think it is safe to say I need to do one of those tests to set my zones and all that but I can't find the instructions anywhere. If anyone can find the link or remind me what to do I'd appreciate it.

Wow Dina, 203 bpm is no joke. Man you must have been pushing the pedals hard and fast. I think I've hit 200 twice and I've always questioned whether it was a glich or not. You can check out Jorge's plan he has instructions for doing testing for both power and HR. For power it is a 5 minute and 20 minute
test. For HR I believe it is a 30 minute test. He has a calculator where you can plug the values in. The link is listed below if it doesn't work just go to the training plans and look for the cycling plans you should see Jorge's plans there. One is for power and one is for HR.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plan...

Edited by strikyr 2014-01-08 7:00 PM
2014-01-08 7:10 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I got my first interval workout in for the outseason and first one since I finished up Jorge's winter cycling program in March. I have to be honest it almost seemed easy compared to last season. The reality is it wasn't exactly but I certainly faired much better than last season. When I started the interval training last season most of the sessions were very tough I usually finished up feeling totally spent and like I was going to die. I was expecting the same tonight but it never happened. I just got to business, put in my work and that was it. I didn't feel totally spent and I didn't feel like I was going to die. I'm wondering if I pushed hard enough. I think I did and did exactly what the workout called for this evening. I just wondering if I'm starting out in better shape this season and probably better rested to kick off the outseason. I guess I'll find out as I go along through the program.

I also sign up yesterday for that trail run Half Marathon in May. It's a small race as they limit it to 75 people and it's farily challenging as well. I think the first 7 miles are pretty hilly. I'm thinking it will be a good training run for Syracuse in June plus it's a really great scenic trail system there in Montauk. I've MTN biked there as it was great. Looking forward to it.

Edited by strikyr 2014-01-08 7:13 PM
2014-01-09 5:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

You can't expect to beat Cippo in a sprint with a heart rate of any less than 200 bpm, lol. In all serious though have you been training with heart rate long? Just wondering what you usual HR numbers are. I'm guessing a test would be a good way to set up your HR zones, I know if you search it on the site there is a good thread about doing a LTHR test. You will have yo do one for cycling and running as the two will differ quite a bit. As for your max HR I wouldn't get to freaked out about it. I know a girl that has a LTHR of 220. Some people just have a high max HR.

2014-01-09 2:52 PM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

You can't expect to beat Cippo in a sprint with a heart rate of any less than 200 bpm, lol. In all serious though have you been training with heart rate long? Just wondering what you usual HR numbers are. I'm guessing a test would be a good way to set up your HR zones, I know if you search it on the site there is a good thread about doing a LTHR test. You will have yo do one for cycling and running as the two will differ quite a bit. As for your max HR I wouldn't get to freaked out about it. I know a girl that has a LTHR of 220. Some people just have a high max HR.

Ha ha ha ha, I thought they were joking! I was thinking seriously, you want me to sprint again?! I need to read these workouts a little more closely before I listen to you guys about which ones you "like" .

I tried training with HR last year but it didn't last long for various reasons or um..... excuses. So no, not long at all. I'm just happy I got my watch and everything to work correctly so I'm going to try to figure all this out again.

2014-01-09 2:53 PM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by strikyr

Wow Dina, 203 bpm is no joke. Man you must have been pushing the pedals hard and fast. I think I've hit 200 twice and I've always questioned whether it was a glich or not. You can check out Jorge's plan he has instructions for doing testing for both power and HR. For power it is a 5 minute and 20 minute test. For HR I believe it is a 30 minute test. He has a calculator where you can plug the values in. The link is listed below if it doesn't work just go to the training plans and look for the cycling plans you should see Jorge's plans there. One is for power and one is for HR. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plan...

Tony thanks, that is just what I was looking for!

2014-01-09 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Ha ha ha ha, I thought they were joking! I was thinking seriously, you want me to sprint again?! I need to read these workouts a little more closely before I listen to you guys about which ones you "like" .

I tried training with HR last year but it didn't last long for various reasons or um..... excuses. So no, not long at all. I'm just happy I got my watch and everything to work correctly so I'm going to try to figure all this out again.

If you though the sprints are bad in LH, wait till you try Fight Club, by the end if they say attack one more time your ready to throw the tv out the window. But again, it's a lot of fun, lol.
2014-01-09 6:46 PM

User image

WHAT is going on??     I haven't gotten notifications for eons so I checked the old forum and see I've missed a ton of posts and notice you all started a new group.  You may have been trying to get rid of me but I'm sorry to let you know  I FOUND YOU and I don't plan to let you go.   I may be even more sporadic in posting during tax season but I'm still claiming my spot as a member of the beloved Junkies.    Bio coming later.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.