General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain and training for triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-29 5:40 PM

Veteran
Subject: Knee pain and training for triathlons
Hi
I have started training for a sprint tri ( long term goal full IM ) , I have always had shonky knees ( had a MRI last year that said one knee cap was worn out , but the doctor said I could do a full IM but the run wouldn't be much fun and probably a walk > but since training the knee pain has got worse I went for a 5 k run yesterday and today the knee pain is worse than ever , I am looking at trying a plant based diet to see if this helps knee pain and also loosing weight

My question I guess is should I try a new diet and loose weight before starting to Trainee for a tri or hope that with improved fitness , loosing weight and better diet it all comes together ? It's very frustrating even with small amounts of training the knee flares up , bad back etc ?

Any thoughts ? Suggestions ? Would you get the knee pain sorted before under taking any tri fitness work

2013-12-29 5:48 PM
in reply to: Bigdave001

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Knee pain and training for triathlons

Originally posted by Bigdave001 Hi I have started training for a sprint tri ( long term goal full IM ) , I have always had shonky knees ( had a MRI last year that said one knee cap was worn out , but the doctor said I could do a full IM but the run wouldn't be much fun and probably a walk > but since training the knee pain has got worse I went for a 5 k run yesterday and today the knee pain is worse than ever , I am looking at trying a plant based diet to see if this helps knee pain and also loosing weight My question I guess is should I try a new diet and loose weight before starting to Trainee for a tri or hope that with improved fitness , loosing weight and better diet it all comes together ? It's very frustrating even with small amounts of training the knee flares up , bad back etc ? Any thoughts ? Suggestions ? Would you get the knee pain sorted before under taking any tri fitness work

Of course. 

And, depending on how bad shape your knee is in, running may just be a bad idea.  It's not the end of the world, there is much fitness work that can be done without running.  Nearly everybody who posts here and runs will one day be sidelined by injury.....some permanently. 

In fact, I'd be willing to venture a guess that injury ends most running careers.

2013-12-29 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4920023

Veteran
So do you mean get knee sorted first ? And what do you suggest ? Gym strength work ?
2013-12-29 6:17 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Bigdave001 So do you mean get knee sorted first ? And what do you suggest ? Gym strength work ?

I suggest a good doctor and physical therapist.  I had my knee operated on in August.  I got back to running 8 weeks later and was sidelined with pain after 3 weeks.  I have been at PT since and will try running again this week.  There is no one answer, except that knee pain is best handled by professionals.

Find out who your local pro sports teams go to for knee injuries......go see that doc, they see sports related injury a lot and usually have great references.  At least that's what I would do....there are a lot of orthopedic docs who are hacks.

2013-12-29 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4920040

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Or, you could look into races that have aquavelo/Aquabike which is just the swim and bike legs, particularly while losing weight if that is your goal or just cannot run without pain. I have done many of these as I battled and continue to recover from plantar fasciitis, runners knee and shin splints. Losing weight has helped me but there are still days my shins bother me when running. Even though I am back to running, my plans for this season still include only aquavelos.
2013-12-29 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4920070

Veteran
Thanks - don't get me wrong the two mini tris I have done this season I completed without to much knee trouble but as I aim for bigger goals I am just worried the knees will pack in

2013-12-29 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4920080

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Makes sense, was just putting it out there. Would allow you to race longer course for swim and bike without pushing the knees all the time since most are Olympic distance but think that challenge USA in Atlantic City has an aquavelo division which I think would be the first full distance I've seen.
2013-12-29 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4920087

Veteran
Where I live we don't have many of these events
2013-12-29 10:25 PM

User image

Master

How much are you running?  Looks like you don't use the logs here.  Are you building your volume slowly?  If not, back off and build even more slowly than you think you need to.  Also, how are your shoes?  Do you have good running shoes and/or do they need to be replaced?  I have a bad knee, and I am very careful to foam roll, make sure my shoes are good, ice when sore, etc.  See a PT and see what they recommend and then follow their instructions.  Good Luck!

2013-12-30 1:49 AM
in reply to: #4920090

Veteran
Hi

I have just started back running so doing 2 then 3 then 5 k so not far , should I build slower ?
2013-12-30 1:49 AM
in reply to: #4920090

Veteran
Hi

I have just started back running so doing 2 then 3 then 5 k so not far , should I build slower ?

2013-12-30 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Just some basics:

-If you're overweight, lose weight
-high cadence running (90 paces/minute)
-run/walk
- good warm up, good cool down, stretch
-listen to your body and take heed of what's it's saying

Edited by La Tortuga 2013-12-30 8:47 AM
2013-12-30 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Bigdave001  but since training the knee pain has got worse I went for a 5 k run yesterday and today the knee pain is worse than ever ,

That tells me that you need to get your knee issues worked out before continuing to train hard. 

How much do you weigh?  If you're seriously overweight then you may be better off with a walking program for the time being.

Mark 

2013-12-30 10:35 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
MA

Don't keep running if running makes your knee hurts.

Sort it out with your doc, sports med trained if possible and go to PT. Get professional advice before you keep running and maybe making your knee worse.

Set yourself up to be as successful as possible.

2013-12-31 10:36 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Extreme Veteran
As someone who has had lifelong knee issues your best bet is to first figure out what your actual issue is. Getting an MRI a year ago and having a doctor tell you that you are missing cartilage is not a diagnosis in and of itself. go see an expert who can do a thorough evaluation and workup of the situation. Then they can give you an accurate diagnosis that will tell you if you should or should not be running and how you should approach your training.

While doing all of this take time to eat exceptionally healthy (a fully balanced diet) and continue to workout without running - aim to loose weight first and set your goal that way. you whole body will thank you if you loose the weight. I would not worry about specific exercises or weight training or leg strength work etc until you know what the issue is since you could end up doing more harm than good.
2013-12-31 11:34 AM
in reply to: bel83

User image

Connecticut

Couldn't agree more with the suggestions to get the knee situation straightened out first. I am living with the same problem right know myself. Had meniscus surgery less than 2 yrs. ago and now the same knee has similiar symtoms as it did before the surgery. Went to the ortho and had it evaluated (x-ray did not show any arthritus) and now have an MRI scheduled for Jan 6th. My biggest concern was "am I doing more damage by running on it". He suggested staying off it until it is confirmed what the problem is.....My "unproffessional" opinion to you would be to probably do the same. We are all different but at the same time very similiar. As triathletes we tend to take the "caveman" approach and go until we can't go any longer

As for me, I have stopped running for the time being, but still focus on swimming and weight training to maintain fitness. Better Safe Than Sorry.

Good luck to you.

Dave

2014-01-03 1:32 PM
in reply to: bel83

Veteran
Originally posted by bel83

As someone who has had lifelong knee issues your best bet is to first figure out what your actual issue is. Getting an MRI a year ago and having a doctor tell you that you are missing cartilage is not a diagnosis in and of itself. go see an expert who can do a thorough evaluation and workup of the situation. Then they can give you an accurate diagnosis that will tell you if you should or should not be running and how you should approach your training.

While doing all of this take time to eat exceptionally healthy (a fully balanced diet) and continue to workout without running - aim to loose weight first and set your goal that way. you whole body will thank you if you loose the weight. I would not worry about specific exercises or weight training or leg strength work etc until you know what the issue is since you could end up doing more harm than good.

hi
thanks for the reply
I have seen a sports doctor who said i dont really have many options regarding me knee - i am to young for a replacement and he said if i choose to take on a Ironman he said it is possible but the run would be more of a walk etc, he did say i could have injections etc but the harsh reality is that my knee is worn out ( i could find the technical terms from the report)

so that leaves me with the options do my best to loose the remainder weight i consider excess (about 3-4kg so not much) eat super well, do more core work and hope with improved fitness and weight the knee pain gets better -decide whether to continue with my goal of IM OR just chuck it all in ! which i am not happy to do
2014-01-05 7:30 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

i also have bad knee issues from past injuries. I have concentrated on the aquabikes and find them great. also they tend to be in the longer tri's the him and the full i.m. more and more triathlons that have these longer distances are offering the aquabike option. I did vineman and HIT palm spring him aquabike this year. and finished with no pain, because I didn't run! something to really consider.
2014-01-12 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I'm no doctor but I can give you my experience.

I had my first knee surgery in 1975 and my last one 2010 - all on the same knee. The total number is 7. For me it is all about losing weight, taking Naprosyn and NEVER training on hard surfaces. Mud in the winter/spring and wood chips in the summer. I found racing on asphalt or concrete to be no problem. The longer the distance the lighter I had to be.  I switched to marathon swimming after my last surgery. I am now in the process of losing the weight (again) I put on for cold water swimming. I hope to return to triathlons this year, but losing weight may no longer be enough. I may have to accept the need for a replacement.

2014-01-13 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4920023

Veteran
Thanks bob a good point about hard surfaces
It's so frustrating for me continually picking up knee worries and other niggles
2014-01-13 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Remember weight is key. Back in the mid 80's I made a decision not to run unless my weight was under 180 lb, which only rarely happened. I started triathlons to lose weight and get into shape (starting at 218 lb). Ultimately as I approached 180, my brisk hikes started to turn into running. I ended up weighing 176 -7 for my early sprint tris. When I moved up to Olys I got my weight down to 173-4. When I decided to train for HIM I dropped my weight to 168. I considered attempting an IM but I would have to get my weight down to 163-4. However, what ultimately stopped me was that I realized that the training for  HIM or IM was going to shorten my tri career. Ultimately I decided to be satisfied doing Sprint's and Olys. To win your AG  sometimes you just have to get old, stay healthy and show up on race day.

2014-01-13 10:58 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

Wrong shoes?

I haven't been training much the last year, but I was running 3-7 miles rather sporadically.  Lately I can barely get a mile before one or both knees hurt. Nothing else has changed, haven't gained weight, been injured etc.  My running shoes are probably spent.  

Wrong shoes or worn out shoes can cause knee pain or make it worse.

2014-01-14 9:06 AM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Originally posted by Fechter99

Or, you could look into races that have aquavelo/Aquabike which is just the swim and bike legs, particularly while losing weight if that is your goal or just cannot run without pain. I have done many of these as I battled and continue to recover from plantar fasciitis, runners knee and shin splints. Losing weight has helped me but there are still days my shins bother me when running. Even though I am back to running, my plans for this season still include only aquavelos.

This is a great alternative, I just came off a 1 year 0 run hiatus because of a Brusied Femur head that was leaking Blood into joint when I ran a lot, also there were a bunch if small micro fractures that were cutting into the meniscus, the actuall real source of my knee pain. not running for a year was a real Bi*ch but I could swim and bike just fine so I did a couple of swim/bike events last year and worked on my swim a lot over the last year. Just started running again with the Ok from the sports doc surgeon about 4 weeks ago after a full 1 year break from running and so far things are going great and taking the time to fully recover completely was certainly the best option. I have been able to ramp right back to a pretty similar spot that I was at when I stopped running for short runs and speed is just about where I would want it, no long runs yet But that will come I am sure. I also have gone to full 2 or even sometime 3 day between run recovery for right now and that seems to be working out very good. I can still agrivate it if I push some speed work or intense intervals, but I know this now and plan for it keeping interval workout short and only to about 20 minutes max for right now. Also every thing is on soft surface, rubberized Track, trail, or Treadmill for now No hard Concrete at all.

Take the time let your Knee recover you will be glad you did.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain and training for triathlons Rss Feed