Other Resources The Political Joe » Benghazi redux Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-11-23 11:24 PM
in reply to: #5069382

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Benghazi redux
Sweet baby in the manger Jesus! At least they have a direct line now.

2014-11-24 10:34 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by powerman

So it's cool if the IRS targets political groups, as long as they do it equally?

Yes. Why should they be considered a tax-exempt nonprofit organization? If I make a contribution of $250 to guy I like its not tax deducible but if I donate million dollars I to a group (which could just be 1 person really) who works to promote that guy I can write it off a charitable tax dedication?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501%28c%29_organization
2014-11-24 11:49 AM
in reply to: #5069479

User image

Elite
My point is the IRS checking legitimate submissions is called doing its job. Many organizations get tax breaks. Checking them is what we pay them to do.

Targeting political organizations is called something else. The "targetting" part us the tip off.
2014-11-24 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Left Brain

I have not been following along....why is this coming up again?  Wasn't already established that the report by the Gov't and the NY Times was wrong/fabricated?

My personal opinion is that Benghazi hurts Hillary badly, so her supporters are going to do what they can to minimize the damage.

This story was really forced this weekend and was pretty much the lead story on the major network news channels with statements such as "Benghazi was because of the video" etc...

Unfortunately, I don't see anything hurting Billary.......like Obama, she's electable with no credibility whatsoever. 

Hmm, your post got me thinking about electability. While personally, I don't see Hillary anywhere near as electable as Obama...I do see the "Billary" combination as pretty strong though. Bill Clinton is a master communicator. He will be a huge asset for the Democratic side. What Hillary lacks in the personality department, Bill makes up for, and then some. Christie's the GOP's best chance in my opinion. Cruz and Paul have no shot. BUT, all bets are off the table if we're talking major catastrophe between now and then. Benghazi's pretty much all the GOP's got on Hillary, and between now and '16, it really isn't going to have an influence on the election. Like jmk-brooklyn wrote, folks are already set on what happened. I don't see folks changing their minds one way or the other at this point. A high % of Repubs see her as either incompetent or aloof on Benghazi, and a high % of Dems see it as a tragic attack that unfortunately will result in lives lost every few years. Let's face it, Reagan was re-elected after hundreds of Americans in Beirut were killed on his watch, and W was re-elected after 9/11 and a mis-directed military response on a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. Until the GOP can convince lower and middle income voters that cutting taxes on high income folks is a good thing (trust me, very tough sell), '16 will not go well for the GOP. Immigration will be an interesting issue as well. The GOP must realize the corner they've painted themselves into when it comes to the hugely important Hispanic vote which was lost at about a 70-30 clip in '12. It sure will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Not really a criticism of you CD, just talking points... On what planet is Christie's the GOPs best candidate??? Nothing about the guy is Presidential. 

And the Hispanic vote.... you mean if the GOP does not buy the Hispanic vote like the Dems... they are done? Because that is the only reason this is an issue at this point. Political maneuvering.

Powerman, no offense taken. I am just offering my personal views which I understand are definitely not "typical." I believe presidential elections are more affected by "delivery" than the actual substance of the message. It's why I said Hillary alone is a terrible candidate...but with a master communicator like her husband involved, the scale gets tipped in her favor. That said, in my opinion, Chris Christie has the best chance at delivering a win for the GOP in '16. He reached across the aisle (or at least gave the perception of doing so) when Hurricane Sandy hit. Working with President Obama was a SHREWD move. The GOP can NOT win unless they get Dems to vote for them, period. There won't be some massive conversion of Democrats to Republicans in the next 2 years. BUT, if the GOP puts someone out there who gives the perception they can meet in the middle, they can woo enough Democratic voters to get a win. Singing the praises of Christie as a GOP presidential candidate is not that off-the-wall btw. US News and World Report has him #2 on the list of possible GOP nomination winners: 1st Paul, 2nd Christie, 3rd Jeb, 4th Scott Walker. Just as Hillary is helped by Bill, Rand is hurt by Ron. Just as Hillary is helped by Bill, Jeb is hurt by W. I haven't heard enough from Walker to get a feel for his swagger...but in the limited soundbites I've heard, he doesn't sound like a natural communicator. Christie's got the every-man feel the GOP needs. Huckabee's hurt himself with his Fox show. He's done. Cruz is too extreme. Jindal's a terrible communicator. Perry is too extreme. Santorum too stiff and religious. If you're saying the Dems "bought" the Hispanic vote by supporting common-sense stances on immigration and social welfare policies, I'll agree with you. You can call it trying to "buy" the Hispanic vote, but if I was the GOP, I'd throw Rubio on that ticket as well. The Right can NOT win if 70% of the Hispanic vote goes Democratic again. Translation: a candidate who wants to stand tall, erect a wall, and deport 'em all! may do very well in the Republican Convention, but they would likely be crushed in a general election. Any thoughts? Feel free to tear my post a new one!

You might be right about Christie being more in the middle... but he is a hot mess. Seriously. Moderates might, but (R)s won't vote for him.

Paul is enough of his own person... I like him, but not sure he can win POTUS.

Hillary... no thanks. Nothing to do with her.... I'm so over two families ruling this country. 

Jed... see above.

I have no problem with immigration reform. The "deport them" crowd are looney tunes. However... Obama could have got reform when he had control of Congress. He didn't. The ONLY reason he is using EO now is pure political maneuvering. He is buying votes for '16. He is forcing the GOP to do something... and consequently looking bad (not that they need help with that). It's wrong. Wrong to use EO and blame it on Congress not passing a bill. Pure Washington BS. Obama is a one trick pony... he can't stop blaming others for his own failures. He is a great speaker.... and a horrible leader. But hey.... Hispanics will vote for (D)s...that's all that matters.

Ya'll are forgetting about Mr. 47%!

http://news.yahoo.com/poll-romney-leads-in-new-hampshire-141442505....
2014-11-24 5:57 PM
in reply to: #5069601

User image

Elite
Funny thing is, Romney and his record are pretty moderate. The GOP picked him because of it.... Then turned him into an extremist to please the base. I've seen a couple of documentaries on him and actually have more respect for him after the fact.

But now that you bring up Romney... And this thread is completely derailed... If Mr. 47% can be condemned for pandering at a fund raiser... Can we also condemn Obamacare after Grubers comments?
2014-11-24 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by powerman Funny thing is, Romney and his record are pretty moderate. The GOP picked him because of it.... Then turned him into an extremist to please the base. I've seen a couple of documentaries on him and actually have more respect for him after the fact. But now that you bring up Romney... And this thread is completely derailed... If Mr. 47% can be condemned for pandering at a fund raiser... Can we also condemn Obamacare after Grubers comments?

I thought the same thing of John McCain.  The primary ruined him; forever, IMO.

But If Lindsey Grahm thinks this report is "Crap", then who am I to disagree?! 

2014-11-25 9:14 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm with Powerman on Christie.  He's an idiot and there's no way in heck he even gets close to the nomination.  If he did, he would be destroyed in the general election.

I always look at who the media tells me that I'm supposed to be voting for, and I know with certainty that is the last candidate that I want to vote for.  lol

CD, as for conservatism shrinking, there's no question that aspects of conservatism such as Marriage and Bibles in school type stuff that are shrinking.  However, there are aspects of Liberalism that are dying as well.  The war on women, and race baiting type things are becoming more and more of a joke in politics, and entitlements are not as en vogue as they used to be.

As a nation, we are primarily Conservative overall, and people who identify themselves as moderate make up the next biggest chunk.  Self described liberals are a distant minority in America.  So, from a math/population standpoint moving further to the left is not a good strategy from a political standpoint.

I'm still confident that a person who is fiscally conservative and Libertarian overall about social issues will absolutely crush it in the general election.  The closest people to that are Paul and Cruz, with an edge to Paul on the Libertarianism.  I'm not saying they're perfect, because they're not.  However, Hillary, Bush, or Christie would be nothing more than continued big spending Cronies and nothing would change.

I'm not saying Cruz or Paul wouldn't be corrupted, but they have a better shot than the establishment folks.

2014-11-25 3:51 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I'm with Powerman on Christie.  He's an idiot and there's no way in heck he even gets close to the nomination.  If he did, he would be destroyed in the general election.

I always look at who the media tells me that I'm supposed to be voting for, and I know with certainty that is the last candidate that I want to vote for.  lol

CD, as for conservatism shrinking, there's no question that aspects of conservatism such as Marriage and Bibles in school type stuff that are shrinking.  However, there are aspects of Liberalism that are dying as well.  The war on women, and race baiting type things are becoming more and more of a joke in politics, and entitlements are not as en vogue as they used to be.

As a nation, we are primarily Conservative overall, and people who identify themselves as moderate make up the next biggest chunk.  Self described liberals are a distant minority in America.  So, from a math/population standpoint moving further to the left is not a good strategy from a political standpoint.

I'm still confident that a person who is fiscally conservative and Libertarian overall about social issues will absolutely crush it in the general election.  The closest people to that are Paul and Cruz, with an edge to Paul on the Libertarianism.  I'm not saying they're perfect, because they're not.  However, Hillary, Bush, or Christie would be nothing more than continued big spending Cronies and nothing would change.

I'm not saying Cruz or Paul wouldn't be corrupted, but they have a better shot than the establishment folks.

Honeslty, I think there are a lot of people who probably qualify as liberal who don't identify themselves as such because "Liberal" has been made into a "dirty word" in politics. They would call themselves progressives, or something.

I think you strongly overestimate Cruz's potential to garner any moderate votes. I know he likes to call himself a Libertarian, but he's basically the symbol of the far-right, "party of no" GOP. If it's true, and I think it is, that anyone on the GOP side who hopes to win a general election has to steal some left-leaning moderates away from the democrats, Cruz ain' the guy.
2014-11-25 4:20 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Honeslty, I think there are a lot of people who probably qualify as liberal who don't identify themselves as such because "Liberal" has been made into a "dirty word" in politics. They would call themselves progressives, or something. I think you strongly overestimate Cruz's potential to garner any moderate votes. I know he likes to call himself a Libertarian, but he's basically the symbol of the far-right, "party of no" GOP. If it's true, and I think it is, that anyone on the GOP side who hopes to win a general election has to steal some left-leaning moderates away from the democrats, Cruz ain' the guy.

I am genuinely curious as to how Cruz and Paul are received by the party as a whole as well as in general polling.  You absolutely could be right, but I have this sneaky suspicion that young minds are changing the dynamic of politics, and it's not heading towards the status quo.
Then again, I'm still not entirely convinced that the election is nothing more than whoever is "cooler" wins by default.  If Rand goes on youtube and starts doing parkour around Washington he'll likely get 80% of the youth vote.  lol

2016-07-08 1:56 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Benghazi redux Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Hearings Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by scoobysdad