I am in agony

2013-12-30 11:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: piriformis syndrome
Yes, for over a decade. In my case it was mixed up with some other things (an SI joint injury from a bike crash long ago, scar tissue from a traumatic hamstring injury), but definitely a "pain in the butt" . I finally seemed to be really over it after several months of stretching/strengthening recommended by a PT, but now back to similar issues (mostly on the other side) after getting pushed down in a race earlier this month and messing up my hamstrings again. What really helped/helps:

*Stretching AFTER running and riding. Not before. One really helpful stretch is to lie on the floor (needs to be near a door) with one leg propped up against the wall (as close to 90 degrees as I can manage, or enough to feel "stretched" but not painful) and the other straight out on the floor. Hold for 3-5 minutes. There are also piriformis stretches you can do from a lying, sitting, or standing position. Probably better to google this--I don't have links as the PT demonstrated them for me. Similar to some yoga poses. Don't stretch when muscles are cold, only after some activity.

*Strengthening of glutes and hamstrings, possible other core muscles if they are weak. In my case my core is pretty strong from swimming but relatively weak hamstrings from years of running. (I'm fairly new to tri/cycling.) I find I have fewer hamstring/piriformis problems if doing more cycling--guessing because it strengthens those muscles. There are also good strength exercises you can do.

*Doing strength training that incorporates lateral movements to strengthen abductors/adductors.

*Doing anything in my power to avoid sitting too long. This is a real issue for me as my job/family life involve multiple transcontinental flights each year!

*Icing after running.

*Deep tissue/active release massage--often tight glutes and hamstrings put strain on the piriformis.

If it's serious, I really recommend seeing a PT who works with athletes. I didn't do this for years since as a pre-existing condition and one that's not threatening life or limb, my insurance wouldn't cover it. Tried to do exercises on my own and at best got some temporary partial relief. The PT's exercises didn't seem to be doing much at first but after about six months I was running pain free. Now if I can just get there again!

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-12-30 11:43 AM
2014-01-09 5:57 PM
in reply to: midessa7

User image

New user

Yes , I have had it and it is awful !!! Was unable to move for the better part of 8 weeks. Went to Physio and that is what saved my sanity, rescued my race year and kept me moving. After very aggressive physio and insuring that I was stretching , rolling and maintenance physio. I went on to complete a sprint, 2 Olympics, one half iron , Challenge Penticton ( a full iron distance) and 3 months after that Ironman Cozumel.
The physio was painful but sooo worth it. I am very careful now. I have also done my homework as to what exercises I can do to strenghten not only the piriformis but the supporting muscles. I changed shoes, had a proper bike fit, and always roll that piriformis the minute I feel anything.
I totally understand what you are going through and how much it hurts. Stick with physio , it will get better.
Tracy
2014-05-11 10:39 PM
in reply to: Going4Iron

User image

Thanks for these posts. I have also had an issue with lower back /pain in the bu** for over a decade. Ironman training (my 2nd) this year has only made it worse. I am nearly 55 so these are old issues. I worry I will not be able to do IM Lake Tahoe. I am going for PT next week. My right side leg is weak and climbing on the bike is painful. Also can't get aero on my tri just lose power and can't sustain for more than a minute or so. I don't have a power meter but can tell from speed and comfort I am going slower in aero. Will need to switch to a road bike I fear. Hope the PT helps. Best . Anything is possible!
2014-05-12 6:33 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yes, for over a decade. In my case it was mixed up with some other things (an SI joint injury from a bike crash long ago, scar tissue from a traumatic hamstring injury), but definitely a "pain in the butt" . I finally seemed to be really over it after several months of stretching/strengthening recommended by a PT, but now back to similar issues (mostly on the other side) after getting pushed down in a race earlier this month and messing up my hamstrings again. What really helped/helps: *Stretching AFTER running and riding. Not before. One really helpful stretch is to lie on the floor (needs to be near a door) with one leg propped up against the wall (as close to 90 degrees as I can manage, or enough to feel "stretched" but not painful) and the other straight out on the floor. Hold for 3-5 minutes. There are also piriformis stretches you can do from a lying, sitting, or standing position. Probably better to google this--I don't have links as the PT demonstrated them for me. Similar to some yoga poses. Don't stretch when muscles are cold, only after some activity. *Strengthening of glutes and hamstrings, possible other core muscles if they are weak. In my case my core is pretty strong from swimming but relatively weak hamstrings from years of running. (I'm fairly new to tri/cycling.) I find I have fewer hamstring/piriformis problems if doing more cycling--guessing because it strengthens those muscles. There are also good strength exercises you can do. *Doing strength training that incorporates lateral movements to strengthen abductors/adductors. *Doing anything in my power to avoid sitting too long. This is a real issue for me as my job/family life involve multiple transcontinental flights each year! *Icing after running. *Deep tissue/active release massage--often tight glutes and hamstrings put strain on the piriformis. If it's serious, I really recommend seeing a PT who works with athletes. I didn't do this for years since as a pre-existing condition and one that's not threatening life or limb, my insurance wouldn't cover it. Tried to do exercises on my own and at best got some temporary partial relief. The PT's exercises didn't seem to be doing much at first but after about six months I was running pain free. Now if I can just get there again!

All of this times 100. Had piriformis problems something awful in 2011 when I was building from 50 to 70mpw and trying to get my BQ. I couldn't sit, limped around, and thought for sure I wasn't going to make it to the marathon. 8 weeks with a PT and diligent piriformis stretches and I managed to finish the marathon with a ddecent time. You can find video for most of the piriformis extercises on YouTube, but it was the deep tissue massage that really helped.

I agree that sitting was really uncomfortable - you can try sitting on a swiss ball, that helped me.

2014-05-19 8:45 PM
in reply to: midessa7

User image

New user

Muskoka, Ontario
I have had some luck with acupuncture, sometimes with electrical current attached to it. That and Active Release. Good Luck!

2014-05-28 3:45 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

New user
Key West
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Yes, for over a decade. In my case it was mixed up with some other things (an SI joint injury from a bike crash long ago, scar tissue from a traumatic hamstring injury), but definitely a "pain in the butt" . I finally seemed to be really over it after several months of stretching/strengthening recommended by a PT, but now back to similar issues (mostly on the other side) after getting pushed down in a race earlier this month and messing up my hamstrings again. What really helped/helps:

*Stretching AFTER running and riding. Not before. One really helpful stretch is to lie on the floor (needs to be near a door) with one leg propped up against the wall (as close to 90 degrees as I can manage, or enough to feel "stretched" but not painful) and the other straight out on the floor. Hold for 3-5 minutes. There are also piriformis stretches you can do from a lying, sitting, or standing position. Probably better to google this--I don't have links as the PT demonstrated them for me. Similar to some yoga poses. Don't stretch when muscles are cold, only after some activity.

*Strengthening of glutes and hamstrings, possible other core muscles if they are weak. In my case my core is pretty strong from swimming but relatively weak hamstrings from years of running. (I'm fairly new to tri/cycling.) I find I have fewer hamstring/piriformis problems if doing more cycling--guessing because it strengthens those muscles. There are also good strength exercises you can do.

*Doing strength training that incorporates lateral movements to strengthen abductors/adductors.

*Doing anything in my power to avoid sitting too long. This is a real issue for me as my job/family life involve multiple transcontinental flights each year!

*Icing after running.

*Deep tissue/active release massage--often tight glutes and hamstrings put strain on the piriformis.

If it's serious, I really recommend seeing a PT who works with athletes. I didn't do this for years since as a pre-existing condition and one that's not threatening life or limb, my insurance wouldn't cover it. Tried to do exercises on my own and at best got some temporary partial relief. The PT's exercises didn't seem to be doing much at first but after about six months I was running pain free. Now if I can just get there again!

^^what they said. I've had PS for years, along with SI joint problems and it took a while to work it out. I now make sure I do a few yoga poses that stretch that area and some PS specific stretches every single day. I too had to go through some long term PT to work it out. But now, I never have pain and have been running 40-55 mpw for some time. So, it is possible to get over this.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » piriformis syndrome Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Piriformis Syndrome or Not? Pages: 1 2

Started by kweber1976
Views: 5667 Posts: 28

2008-09-08 4:13 PM big joe

Piriformis Syndrome?

Started by retiretotri
Views: 980 Posts: 2

2007-08-10 4:36 PM WaterDog66

Hip pain possible piriformis syndrome?!?!?

Started by janaleigh79
Views: 947 Posts: 5

2007-05-23 11:09 AM janaleigh79

piriformis syndrome

Started by rollinbones
Views: 912 Posts: 4

2006-09-08 8:07 AM rollinbones

Piriformis Syndrome?

Started by solo
Views: 1407 Posts: 10

2006-06-26 11:03 AM solo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?

date : June 25, 2010
comments : 0
I rode 20 miles on the bike and I was 0.1 miles into my run when I experienced a hot shooting pain deep in my left glute that radiated down the back of my leg.
date : May 21, 2010
comments : 1
Rolling, icing, A.R.T. and P.T. No running, now what? Piriformis Syndrome has been ongoing since July, is there any one out there who has any other suggestions?

date : May 21, 2010
Woke up at 7am and physically could not walk. Pain was shooting in my knee (almost dropped me to my knees). Later I went to my sports doc. He could not simulate the pain whatsoever.
date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.

date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.
date : September 3, 2006
If you are one of those athletes, and the compartments don’t easily expand, the pressure within increases with exercise. This can stress the muscle as well as the nerves and blood vessels.

date : June 5, 2006
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?