General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming on rest day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-30 5:30 PM

Subject: Swimming on rest day
Hi there,

I am currently training for IM Texas using Don Fink's intermediate plan and am having a hard time making the swims work in my schedule. I am in the Air Force and in addition to my own training I also have PT on Tues, Thurs, and Fri. My swim days are those same days so I have been trying to get fit it in on lunch but don't have enough time. There is a pool close to my house where I can swim in the morning but wouldn't be able to do those days because my PT is in the morning.

I can make the morning swims work in my schedule, but would have to do them Mon, Weds, and Sat. Mondays are supposed to be my rest days, and since I can't move any of my other workouts around (it's only possible for me to do the long runs and rides on weekends) would it be ok to accomplish one of my swims on Monday, even though it's supposed to be a rest day? I am not sure if it would have a negative impact, or if it's a light enough activity that I can still get the benefits of a recovery day.

I appreciate any advice on this!

Jaime

2013-12-30 5:55 PM
in reply to: jaime_runs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Swimming on rest day
What is this rest day you speak of?

Yes. If it makes your training schedule and lifestyle better, by all means, swim on your rest day. It will not have a negative impact. I practically guarantee it. Especially if you do it early in the morning so you have almost 24 hours of recovery before your next workout.

I train seven days a week. Occasionally I have only one workout on a given day and sometimes it is a swim and that is officially a 'rest day where I swim.'
2013-12-30 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4920677

User image

My squadrons unit pt conflicts with my rest day every Friday. I just do whatever random workout they start with and then roll back to the office. Not sure what type or unit you're in but being in a small Squadron with a feast or famine mission my office time is pretty flexible so I normally take my own pt time on Tues and Thurs afternoons to hit the pool at the Y.
2013-12-30 10:11 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
In some cases, I think that swimming on a rest day can help. For me, at times, it feels like the swim helps circulate the blood, without impact, which helps in recovery. Either that, or I've convinced myself of it. But, I don't think swimming on a rest day will hurt you. Listen to your body though, it will tell you when you need a rest.
2013-12-31 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4920703

Thanks for putting my mind at ease! I've definitely learned that time management is like a 5th discipline in triathlon. I think these morning swims will help
2013-12-31 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jaime_runs Thanks for putting my mind at ease! I've definitely learned that time management is like a 5th discipline in triathlon. I think these morning swims will help

Especially if this is a recovery swim, obviously…  A gut buster session would probably still be fine, but a swim (as alluded to above) is actually a good "active recovery" if done at a low intensity.  You'll probably want to make your other swims that much harder, if you're trying to progress in the pool, but I usually have at least one workout a week in each discipline that is a recovery - and my recovery swims are by far the most "recuperative."  

Gravity gets you on the run, and there is no avoiding hills on the bike - but swim intensity is entirely within your control.

Matt

2013-12-31 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4920929

User image

I agree with kmac....my body loosens up with a swim. I can feel some of the tightness in my back, shoulders and ankles in particular dissipate on a swim.
But that said, always listen to your body, it knows best!
2013-12-31 12:34 PM

User image

Your body needs recovery.  It does not necessarily need a "recovery day" or a "rest day.".  Anytime you are not active, your body is recovering. 

Think of your recovery in terms of hours, not days.  Also think about the quality of your recovery.  Sleeping or staying of your feet is very different than running errands, doing chores, or chasing the kids.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming on rest day Rss Feed