in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point
Subject: RE: 2014, Run 1000 miles

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Justin86

Congrats on your ultra, read the report sounds like you had a great race.

In taper madness here.  Have a marathon on Saturday, then I'm on the final stretch for my first 50 miler in Sept.  Getting nervous here!

Awesome! Sounds fun! How long are your long runs typically while training for a 50 miler?

I did not train specifically for this but relied on my cumulative fitness which in the last year has been more about frequency and intensity than duration.  In talking to folks there who were more specifically dedicated to this stuff, long runs of 20+ and a lot of back to back days doing 20 milers.  Also two a days to get the greater volume in.  No way one could do this and swim/bike.

As a side note, I am still sore with the HM tomorrow morning.  I've swam and ridden this week no problem but the legs are still recovering.  My expectations are such that if a cold one or two or ... presents itself tonight than so be it.  If worst comes to worst I might jog along with my wife who is running also.  Might not be a bad idea since I haven't told her yet I'm doing an HIM in three weeks.  

Oh, and Adrienne, your mileage is incredible.  Can't wait to hear how your Fall racing goes. 

Hope your HM went well.  Hope you survived telling your wife that close to a HIM

2014-08-26 10:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

In taper madness here.  Have a marathon on Saturday, then I'm on the final stretch for my first 50 miler in Sept.  Getting nervous here!

Awesome! Sounds fun! How long are your long runs typically while training for a 50 miler?

My longest run has been 35 miles.  And will be my longest run before the race.  I have quite a few 20+ mile runs, which are pretty easy to recover from now.  Only takes a day or so until I feel good again after that distance.

Sounds like you are very well prepared and should have a great race.  How did your marathon go?  Which one did you do?

The HM went great all thing considered.  Legs were still very sore but felt strong and ran a pretty easy 1:50.  I still have not gotten up the nerve to tell her about the HIM but we met some folks from Texas and got talking about IM Texas and she got a little excited about going there.  We'll see.

Edited by popsracer 2014-08-26 10:50 AM
2014-09-01 8:37 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Pace rabbit is at 668.49. Everyone sound off on where you are. I know we have a lot of overachievers out there too and it's humbling and inspiring to hear where they are too.

I am just past the rabbit - around 695.
2014-09-01 5:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point

My longest run has been 35 miles.  And will be my longest run before the race.  I have quite a few 20+ mile runs, which are pretty easy to recover from now.  Only takes a day or so until I feel good again after that distance.

Sounds like you are very well prepared and should have a great race.  How did your marathon go?  Which one did you do?

The HM went great all thing considered.  Legs were still very sore but felt strong and ran a pretty easy 1:50.  I still have not gotten up the nerve to tell her about the HIM but we met some folks from Texas and got talking about IM Texas and she got a little excited about going there.  We'll see.

I did the Wausau marathon in Wausau, WI  - it went ok but it was 100% humidity at the start.  It was a small race but they did a great job organizing it.  My only complaint was that they didn't have Gatorade until about mile 10 or 11.  Nice flat course some scenic portions to.  I will definitely do it again. 

It doesn't look to good for my ultra right now, I haven't ran in a week.  Long story short I wound up in the ER Thursday with a 103F fever and sever head and neck pains.  The immediately suspected meningitis and started IV antibiotics, and did an emergency lumbar puncture in the ER which confirmed.  Wound up staying until yesterday evening in the hospital.  Still feel horrible and the docs pretty much want me on bed rest for a week.  Luckily I can do a lot of my work from home, but some of it will have to wait (again I'm lucky I work with an amazing team).  I feel ok when I am laying down but soon after I get up the pain gets pretty bad.

We will see If i make a speedy recovery this week I might consider it, but i should play it safe and give my body the rest it needs.

anyways my PSA is don't feel silly going to the ER for neck/head pain - I didn't even realize that I had a fever that high.  You never know what it could be.  Better safe then sorry.

On a happier note I am past the 1000 mark at 1050 miles.  Miles are going to slow down now though.

Good luck to all!

Edited by Justin86 2014-09-01 5:11 PM
2014-09-01 9:08 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Silver member

It doesn't look to good for my ultra right now, I haven't ran in a week.  Long story short I wound up in the ER Thursday with a 103F fever and sever head and neck pains.  The immediately suspected meningitis and started IV antibiotics, and did an emergency lumbar puncture in the ER which confirmed.  Wound up staying until yesterday evening in the hospital.  Still feel horrible and the docs pretty much want me on bed rest for a week.  Luckily I can do a lot of my work from home, but some of it will have to wait (again I'm lucky I work with an amazing team).  I feel ok when I am laying down but soon after I get up the pain gets pretty bad.

We will see If i make a speedy recovery this week I might consider it, but i should play it safe and give my body the rest it needs.

anyways my PSA is don't feel silly going to the ER for neck/head pain - I didn't even realize that I had a fever that high.  You never know what it could be.  Better safe then sorry.

On a happier note I am past the 1000 mark at 1050 miles.  Miles are going to slow down now though.

Good luck to all!

Man thats Crazy, good thing you listened to your body when it was saying something isn't right.  Rest up and recover quickly!

2014-09-01 9:24 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Silver member

I am curently sitting at 830 miles so I have a good lead on the rabbit.  My run continues to hold steady but not improving much speed wise.  I ran a 5k on Sunday and came in at 20:57 which is the same time I had back in June.  I did manage to run a 6:10 1st mile before imploding on the last 2, someday I will learn pacing matters in 5k's also

I was hoping for some input on making the jump from tri-training straight into a run focus.  I have a HIM this upcoming weekend where I hope to leave it all on the table that will require some recovery time.  I have also signed up for a HM on November 9th that I would like to make a run at a PR.  Which with the miles I have been putting in should not be difficult, but would really like to get under 1:40 if not a little lower.

My weekly plan is to have interval/tempo/Long run () surrounded by easy runs and continue my 7 days per week with hopes of getting up around 40 miles per week.  Does anyone have ny suggestions on how to speed the recovery time from the end of the HIM until I start hitting the run again?  I thought maybe 1 mile per day after the tri for 7 days and then start the following Monday on the HM plan.  Should I give it 2 weeks?  Any tips or tricks that would help?

Attached is the pla I am going to follow, except the rest days will all be an easy run day of 1-3 miles.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (53KB - 0 downloads)

2014-09-02 10:37 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
I'm still just a "hare" behind the Rabbit, at 659.5 miles for the year. Shouldn't be long before I catch up.

Fairly light run plan for this week as I taper for my HIM this coming Saturday. After that, I'll have a second week of very light running before moving onto Full Mary training program for a November event that should have me rocket past the pesky rabbit for good.

Oh, and August had me at 100.76 miles for the month, so that is 4 consecutive 100+ mile months for me.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 2014, Run 1000 miles Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 15

RELATED POSTS

January 2014 AB's Challenge Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by kns57
Views: 5538 Posts: 98

2014-02-07 5:17 PM Poupen

January 100 Mile Run Challenge! Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by dtoce
Views: 8287 Posts: 290

2014-02-04 9:15 AM MechEChick

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2013 - 2014 Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 8551 Posts: 112

2014-04-07 8:58 AM Lumber Dad

1 year, 1000 miles Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by sanhador
Views: 43088 Posts: 652

2014-02-27 10:40 AM AkABuzz

The 100+ mile club - July running studs/studettes ..... Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Daremo
Views: 3268 Posts: 84

2006-07-19 7:38 PM celena
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 5
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : July 29, 2011
author : ahohl
comments : 1
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : February 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.