in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: 2014, Run 1000 miles

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Justin86

Congrats on your ultra, read the report sounds like you had a great race.

In taper madness here.  Have a marathon on Saturday, then I'm on the final stretch for my first 50 miler in Sept.  Getting nervous here!

Awesome! Sounds fun! How long are your long runs typically while training for a 50 miler?

I did not train specifically for this but relied on my cumulative fitness which in the last year has been more about frequency and intensity than duration.  In talking to folks there who were more specifically dedicated to this stuff, long runs of 20+ and a lot of back to back days doing 20 milers.  Also two a days to get the greater volume in.  No way one could do this and swim/bike.

As a side note, I am still sore with the HM tomorrow morning.  I've swam and ridden this week no problem but the legs are still recovering.  My expectations are such that if a cold one or two or ... presents itself tonight than so be it.  If worst comes to worst I might jog along with my wife who is running also.  Might not be a bad idea since I haven't told her yet I'm doing an HIM in three weeks.  

Oh, and Adrienne, your mileage is incredible.  Can't wait to hear how your Fall racing goes. 

Hope your HM went well.  Hope you survived telling your wife that close to a HIM

2014-08-26 10:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

In taper madness here.  Have a marathon on Saturday, then I'm on the final stretch for my first 50 miler in Sept.  Getting nervous here!

Awesome! Sounds fun! How long are your long runs typically while training for a 50 miler?

My longest run has been 35 miles.  And will be my longest run before the race.  I have quite a few 20+ mile runs, which are pretty easy to recover from now.  Only takes a day or so until I feel good again after that distance.

Sounds like you are very well prepared and should have a great race.  How did your marathon go?  Which one did you do?

The HM went great all thing considered.  Legs were still very sore but felt strong and ran a pretty easy 1:50.  I still have not gotten up the nerve to tell her about the HIM but we met some folks from Texas and got talking about IM Texas and she got a little excited about going there.  We'll see.

Edited by popsracer 2014-08-26 10:50 AM
2014-09-01 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Pace rabbit is at 668.49. Everyone sound off on where you are. I know we have a lot of overachievers out there too and it's humbling and inspiring to hear where they are too.

I am just past the rabbit - around 695.
2014-09-01 5:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

My longest run has been 35 miles.  And will be my longest run before the race.  I have quite a few 20+ mile runs, which are pretty easy to recover from now.  Only takes a day or so until I feel good again after that distance.

Sounds like you are very well prepared and should have a great race.  How did your marathon go?  Which one did you do?

The HM went great all thing considered.  Legs were still very sore but felt strong and ran a pretty easy 1:50.  I still have not gotten up the nerve to tell her about the HIM but we met some folks from Texas and got talking about IM Texas and she got a little excited about going there.  We'll see.

I did the Wausau marathon in Wausau, WI  - it went ok but it was 100% humidity at the start.  It was a small race but they did a great job organizing it.  My only complaint was that they didn't have Gatorade until about mile 10 or 11.  Nice flat course some scenic portions to.  I will definitely do it again. 

It doesn't look to good for my ultra right now, I haven't ran in a week.  Long story short I wound up in the ER Thursday with a 103F fever and sever head and neck pains.  The immediately suspected meningitis and started IV antibiotics, and did an emergency lumbar puncture in the ER which confirmed.  Wound up staying until yesterday evening in the hospital.  Still feel horrible and the docs pretty much want me on bed rest for a week.  Luckily I can do a lot of my work from home, but some of it will have to wait (again I'm lucky I work with an amazing team).  I feel ok when I am laying down but soon after I get up the pain gets pretty bad.

We will see If i make a speedy recovery this week I might consider it, but i should play it safe and give my body the rest it needs.

anyways my PSA is don't feel silly going to the ER for neck/head pain - I didn't even realize that I had a fever that high.  You never know what it could be.  Better safe then sorry.

On a happier note I am past the 1000 mark at 1050 miles.  Miles are going to slow down now though.

Good luck to all!

Edited by Justin86 2014-09-01 5:11 PM
2014-09-01 9:08 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

It doesn't look to good for my ultra right now, I haven't ran in a week.  Long story short I wound up in the ER Thursday with a 103F fever and sever head and neck pains.  The immediately suspected meningitis and started IV antibiotics, and did an emergency lumbar puncture in the ER which confirmed.  Wound up staying until yesterday evening in the hospital.  Still feel horrible and the docs pretty much want me on bed rest for a week.  Luckily I can do a lot of my work from home, but some of it will have to wait (again I'm lucky I work with an amazing team).  I feel ok when I am laying down but soon after I get up the pain gets pretty bad.

We will see If i make a speedy recovery this week I might consider it, but i should play it safe and give my body the rest it needs.

anyways my PSA is don't feel silly going to the ER for neck/head pain - I didn't even realize that I had a fever that high.  You never know what it could be.  Better safe then sorry.

On a happier note I am past the 1000 mark at 1050 miles.  Miles are going to slow down now though.

Good luck to all!

Man thats Crazy, good thing you listened to your body when it was saying something isn't right.  Rest up and recover quickly!

2014-09-01 9:24 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

I am curently sitting at 830 miles so I have a good lead on the rabbit.  My run continues to hold steady but not improving much speed wise.  I ran a 5k on Sunday and came in at 20:57 which is the same time I had back in June.  I did manage to run a 6:10 1st mile before imploding on the last 2, someday I will learn pacing matters in 5k's also

I was hoping for some input on making the jump from tri-training straight into a run focus.  I have a HIM this upcoming weekend where I hope to leave it all on the table that will require some recovery time.  I have also signed up for a HM on November 9th that I would like to make a run at a PR.  Which with the miles I have been putting in should not be difficult, but would really like to get under 1:40 if not a little lower.

My weekly plan is to have interval/tempo/Long run () surrounded by easy runs and continue my 7 days per week with hopes of getting up around 40 miles per week.  Does anyone have ny suggestions on how to speed the recovery time from the end of the HIM until I start hitting the run again?  I thought maybe 1 mile per day after the tri for 7 days and then start the following Monday on the HM plan.  Should I give it 2 weeks?  Any tips or tricks that would help?

Attached is the pla I am going to follow, except the rest days will all be an easy run day of 1-3 miles.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (53KB - 12 downloads)

2014-09-02 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
I'm still just a "hare" behind the Rabbit, at 659.5 miles for the year. Shouldn't be long before I catch up.

Fairly light run plan for this week as I taper for my HIM this coming Saturday. After that, I'll have a second week of very light running before moving onto Full Mary training program for a November event that should have me rocket past the pesky rabbit for good.

Oh, and August had me at 100.76 miles for the month, so that is 4 consecutive 100+ mile months for me.
2014-09-02 4:02 PM

User image

Master

I did the Wausau marathon in Wausau, WI  - it went ok but it was 100% humidity at the start.  It was a small race but they did a great job organizing it.  My only complaint was that they didn't have Gatorade until about mile 10 or 11.  Nice flat course some scenic portions to.  I will definitely do it again. 

Good luck to all!

Yikes!  I hope you continue to feel better!  Take it easy, there will be lots of ultras to do when you are recovered.

2014-09-02 4:03 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

I am at 515 miles.  I didn't do any running for 3 weeks after my IM due to some tendonitis.  Getting back at it now.

2014-09-03 11:08 AM

User image

New user
Hi guys I am at 1170, heading into my 16 and up long runs before my Nov 1 full. I am biking too for an Oct century ride. The cumulative training has me a bit fatigued but I am really enjoying pushing myself and seeing what I can do! The soreness feels gratifying which is an unexpected joy! Or else I am just weird!

I signed up for my first ultra. . I expect I will have lots of soreness to enjoy from that journey! I am very excited, it is in March in Ottawa Kansas. It is on a rails to trails route and goes through some small towns. It feels like a leap of faith signing up, I am just jumping on in!

Happy running to you all guys and girls.
2014-09-03 6:20 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Lots of great running.  Nice to hear some updates.

I'm at 1105 but my IT band is bugging me and I'm limiting myself to about 3 miles until I get past this.  Switching to more bike focus anyway so just want to maintain some running fitness.

2014-09-06 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Justin wishing you a speedy recovery, keep us informed.

Matt, good luck on your HIM!!!

Churnga, good luck and congrats on your Ultra!!!

Pops I have a lot of IT band issues and the things that help me, foam rolling, the leg that is hurting, cross it and then stretch it, use a tennis ball on your butt muscle, that works better than the foam roller on that. and finally Ancient Minerals Magnesium Lotion - 8oz Bottle but it at amazon it is $15 bottle, this really helps.

Well I just passed the 1,000 mark, it looks doubtful I'll make 1,500.

Ya'll have fun running!
2014-09-07 6:12 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

I am at 854 miles after yesterday's 17-mile run. I felt pretty good. I am still training for IMFL and had a 5 hour bike/30 min run brick earlier this week and also on Thursday I did 8 miles of running followed by a 30 mile HILLY bike ride with speed intervals tossed in. Needless to say, I am TIRED, but I should reach my 1000 miles by the end of this month (maybe??).

2014-09-08 10:45 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by KWDreamun

Well I just passed the 1,000 mark, it looks doubtful I'll make 1,500.

Ya'll have fun running!

Congratulations on the 1,000! You could still hit 1,500.......
2014-09-08 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by KWDreamun Justin wishing you a speedy recovery, keep us informed. Matt, good luck on your HIM!!! Churnga, good luck and congrats on your Ultra!!! Pops I have a lot of IT band issues and the things that help me, foam rolling, the leg that is hurting, cross it and then stretch it, use a tennis ball on your butt muscle, that works better than the foam roller on that. and finally Ancient Minerals Magnesium Lotion - 8oz Bottle but it at amazon it is $15 bottle, this really helps. Well I just passed the 1,000 mark, it looks doubtful I'll make 1,500. Ya'll have fun running!

Congratz on 1000 miles!

Well, I had my first run in two weeks yesterday.  Only 2.2 miles, i was surprised there was still some soreness where the lumbar puncture was.  The run was also at a much slower pace then normal, felt good to get out there though.

There is no way i can do the 50 miler that I was suppose to do on Saturday, shame I was looking forward to it.  This is the first race that I DNS.  There will always be others, but it still is a bit depressing. 

Still shouldn't have a problem reaching my goal of 1200 miles for the year.  Im sitting at 1050 or so.  Depending on how the next few weeks go I am probably going to sign up for the Madison, WI marathon on November 9th.

Good luck to all!  Keep on running!

2014-09-12 6:06 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Finally back on track (well almost).  Last week at my first cyclocross practice, I strained my calf badly.  It just popped and made me feel sick to my stomach.  Didn't run for a week but was able to do some light cycling and swimming.  Ran three miles each of the last two days slowly.  I am so very glad to be back on the road.  I love running in the Fall and was thinking I might miss out.  My IT band appreciated the time off too.

Happy Fall running to everyone.

2014-09-15 6:32 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Pops you need to change your user name so things stop popping... Really, I hope you have a speedy recovery, good luck and keep us informed.
2014-09-15 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
Mid month Check-In time:

Total mileage for my year thus far is 708.9. I'f I'm doing the math right, that FINALLY put's me in front of the rabbit's 704.1.

More amazingly for me, I'm less than two miles short of my 2013 total run volume, which was was the most I've ever run in a calendar year. New mileage record for me awaits my next outing.

Good luck to everyone.
2014-09-15 4:30 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by KWDreamun Pops you need to change your user name so things stop popping... Really, I hope you have a speedy recovery, good luck and keep us informed.

Thank you for your recovery well wishes.  They are working.  Ran 5 miles on Saturday and another 3.5 yesterday.  Now if I can just remember to continue to be at least a little patient things are going to be just fine from here on out.  Did I mention I signed up long ago for a marathon on October 4th.  Yikes!!

Perfect weather continues here.  I can't tell you how much I enjoy this time of year. 

2014-09-16 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Thank you for your recovery well wishes.  They are working.  Ran 5 miles on Saturday and another 3.5 yesterday.  Now if I can just remember to continue to be at least a little patient things are going to be just fine from here on out.  Did I mention I signed up long ago for a marathon on October 4th.  Yikes!!

Perfect weather continues here.  I can't tell you how much I enjoy this time of year. 

Glad recovery is going well. Be careful tho. And please blow some of that fall weather down to Florida. We have "cooled" to the low 90s and may cool next week to the mid 80s.

Mandsberry, congrats on passing the rabbit and for a PR mileage year!

Rabbit is at 709.59 today.
2014-09-18 8:50 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
I am currently sitting at 881, so well ahead of the rabbit. But I am in a bit of flux right now as I am unsure what I want to do next. I finished my HiM a few weeks back and thought I had a half marathon on the schedule but plans have changed and I cannot find another race that fits my schedule. I May just start putting in some base miles and maybe make a push for 200k yds swimming on the year. Either way I am going to continue to push the run as day 300 of my running streak is coming up next week.

2014-09-22 4:01 PM

User image

New user
1267 right now plus I am streaking......
Day 22 doing the 30 in 30 challenge, it has been fun to figure it out every day.

I am building up for an October century ride and November marathon. I had some chigger bites on my ankle that became cellulitis on my leg and I have been on massive antibiotics. All together I am pretty beat so I am scaling back each week on one or the other. Not sure how that will go but can't really be helped.

Happy running! 70's here in Memphis today made for a beautiful run day!
2014-09-22 9:38 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

1087 miles.  The last month has been awful.  It's strange I am feeling good, but there is just no endurance.  A 5+ mile run is very taxing.  I realize that I was pretty sick, but I am fine with doing speed work... I had a great 21m55s 5K.  Going to just listen to what my body wants to do and go with it.  I have started to do some light strength training.  Getting a little flabby up top!

I am happy that I made it to >1000 miles but I have barely put on 40 miles in a month.

Great work everyone! 

Wishing everyone a speedy recovery that is in recovery mode!

2014-09-22 10:05 PM

User image

Master

I'm just over half way at 532.  Not likely to make 1000 miles, but I'll keep plugging away.  I am starting training for a HM in Nov, so that will up my total.  Keep on running everyone!

2014-09-23 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Starting to gear up for a half-marathon that I cannot run, but still following the training plan. Felt good to get out of the rut of 99% steady/easy runs and push the pace a bit, actually a bit surprised by the results

WU: 1 mile

MS: 8x400 at what was supposed to be 5k pace. Slowest was a 6:16 pace with the fastest being a 5:49 pace. So about 30s faster than 5k pace, but surprisingly held strong with the 1st being the slowest interval.

CD: 1 mile

Total: 4 miles 29:56 at an average pace of 7:28. Have I said lately I need to find a race!
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 2014, Run 1000 miles Rss Feed  

of 19

RELATED POSTS

January 2014 AB's Challenge Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by kns57
Views: 13520 Posts: 98

2014-02-07 5:17 PM Poupen

January 100 Mile Run Challenge! Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by dtoce
Views: 24397 Posts: 290

2014-02-04 9:15 AM MechEChick

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2013 - 2014 Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 22918 Posts: 115

2014-10-31 8:38 AM Lumber Dad

1 year, 1000 miles Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by sanhador
Views: 58951 Posts: 652

2014-02-27 10:40 AM AkABuzz

The 100+ mile club - July running studs/studettes ..... Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Daremo
Views: 10823 Posts: 84

2006-07-19 7:38 PM celena
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : February 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.