BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-04-22 8:03 PM
in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED
Originally posted by IceManScott

Originally posted by krazytallchick

Well, I have completely lost my marbles and signed up to do Ironman Maryland with Deborah. You would think after doing 2 of these I know what I am in for and maybe that is why I haven't been able to sleep the last few days is because I know what I got myself into for the next 20 weeks. I was really looking forward to having an easy summer and actually enjoying it but noooo I had to sign up for another IM. I am also working with a new coach, one that cost more then any of my other coaches but I feel that he will work with me more and give me the help that I need. Wish me luck gang as I think I will need it on this one.

Awesome. Is that the inaugural IM Maryland? Is it in Boston?

Yes, it is Inaugural IM Maryland and it is in Cambridge

2014-04-23 12:45 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Chicago
I finally got around to making my final travel plans for my HIM in July. This is my 4th week of training and I have to admit that it is going very well. I also got in the lottery for the Chicago Marathon in October so the fun never ends.

Have a great training day.
2014-04-26 5:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Hello Team RFP, hope you are all having an awesome weekend.

I finally ran a 5K race this year. My expectations were low going into the race as I weighed 4 lbs more than planned (my wife likes to bake cakes, nuff said). I went out hoping for a good run and just listened to my body. I started at a comfortable pace, felt great, built intensity, and scored a new PR by a minute! My chip time was 22:36.

Splits
Mile 1 - 7:42
Mile 2 - 7:02
Mile 3 - 7:15

I am thrilled with these results. The large change in pace between mile 1 and 2 was due to some rolling hills. There was about 100 ft of climbing towards the end of mile 1 followed by a nice slow descent in mile 2.

This was a family friendly event so the field was not as competitive as some other events I've done. I placed 31 out of 751 and got 2nd place in my AG! My first silver :-)

My running weight, with all gear, was 173 lbs. I wore my heavy training shoes since I have yet to break in my light racing shoes. I hope to be in the low 160's by June. Need to cut the junk carbs

Originally posted by pnwdan

My best 5k is 23:34, which was during a training run two years ago. Since that time my son was born, I stopped training, gained 20 lbs, started training, and lost 20 lbs. I'm back to the same weight as two years ago but have double the running volume under my belt, and hope to go sub 23 min this time.

Edited by pnwdan 2014-04-26 5:01 PM
2014-04-27 8:43 AM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Regular
Sorry for the couple week absence. I am courting a lovely lady...so time has been limited Looks like I have some catching up to do....

Dan - looks like you are PRing all over the place! Congrats on the pool PRs and 5k!

Nate - congrats on the 2nd tri! Keep up the good work! The run will come..

Simone - Glad to see traineroad working for you.

KTC and Deb - IMMD!!! Nice! I am excited for you two! Looking forward to hearing your training.

Gil - Are you staying in the Racine area? I think I will drive up the morning of...only about 30 minute drive.

As for me, my running and biking are going REALLY well. I am probably stronger on both than I was at peek last year. I start a speed running class on Tuesday nights...which is helping. My swim has taken a back seat...

For the week:
Run - 23 miles - 3:19
BIke - 97 miles - 5:01
Swim - 4200 yards - 1:10
Strength - 2:20

Ciao for now,

Todd
2014-04-27 10:08 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Chicago
Hey Todd - I'm staying in the area. It's about a 90 mile drive for me so being up there will help plus I always like to get familiar with the area so that I'm ready race morning. We'll have to meet up.

Originally posted by ettringite23

Gil - Are you staying in the Racine area? I think I will drive up the morning of...only about 30 minute drive.

Todd
2014-04-27 11:06 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Regular
Yes, we shall meet up for sure. We can plan on meeting up post race...I think others will be there as well!

Todd

2014-04-28 10:46 AM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Todd - that's the great thing about being a beginner, lot's of PRs as fitness improves.

Jan/Feb were a swim focus and March/April were a run focus. May is almost here and it will be a bike focus, to be capped off by the Flying Wheels Summer Century on May 31st. This is a fantastic ride through the rural parts of the Puget Sound region just East of Seattle. This will be my first century.

http://www.granfondoguide.com/Events/Index/287/flying-wheels-centur...
2014-04-28 10:23 PM

User image

I finally ran a 5K race this year. My expectations were low going into the race as I weighed 4 lbs more than planned (my wife likes to bake cakes, nuff said). I went out hoping for a good run and just listened to my body. I started at a comfortable pace, felt great, built intensity, and scored a new PR by a minute! My chip time was 22:36.

Splits

I am thrilled with these results. The large change in pace between mile 1 and 2 was due to some rolling hills. There was about 100 ft of climbing towards the end of mile 1 followed by a nice slow descent in mile 2.

This was a family friendly event so the field was not as competitive as some other events I've done. I placed 31 out of 751 and got 2nd place in my AG! My first silver :-)

My running weight, with all gear, was 173 lbs. I wore my heavy training shoes since I have yet to break in my light racing shoes. I hope to be in the low 160's by June. Need to cut the junk carbs

My best 5k is 23:34, which was during a training run two years ago. Since that time my son was born, I stopped training, gained 20 lbs, started training, and lost 20 lbs. I'm back to the same weight as two years ago but have double the running volume under my belt, and hope to go sub 23 min this time.

Nice run. Congrats on the PR
2014-04-28 10:46 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Missed a run and a bike last week totals were

Swim 3650y - 1h 23m
Bike 12m - 46m 50 s
Run 8.65m - 1h 16m
strength 1h

Started the week with a nice 6.2 mile run. First time I have run over 5 miles for over 12 years. (The summer before starting med school.) Ran a little faster than I have been (8:32 pace) but felt really good, not like I was working at all. (Still along way off from the pace I was running 12 years ago) I had been using 8:34 on the treadmill for tempo runs. Always run a little faster outdoors.

Have a good week

Nate
2014-04-29 12:35 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Chicago
You are putting up good times on your runs. It's always easier for me to run outside as well. So far this year has been challenging to be outside. Hopefully I can get outside today and put in a good run. Keep It up!

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Missed a run and a bike last week totals were

Swim 3650y - 1h 23m
Bike 12m - 46m 50 s
Run 8.65m - 1h 16m
strength 1h

Started the week with a nice 6.2 mile run. First time I have run over 5 miles for over 12 years. (The summer before starting med school.) Ran a little faster than I have been (8:32 pace) but felt really good, not like I was working at all. (Still along way off from the pace I was running 12 years ago) I had been using 8:34 on the treadmill for tempo runs. Always run a little faster outdoors.

Have a good week

Nate
2014-04-30 8:12 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

HI TEAM!

Sorry for being absent for a while, finals are starting to wind down (I cannot believe I graduate in a little over 2 weeks!) Anyway, training was super spotty for the last two weeks as I has exams etc. But I am now back on track. Quick question for you all though, today in the pool i was doing a super common workout, not to heavy at all (3200) and mid-way through I had massive cramp attacks in my foot and calf. This has never happened to me before in the pool and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on why this may have happened and if there is anything I can do to prevent it in the future? Thanks. Hope training is going well for everyone, happy almost May!

Helen

2014-05-01 8:53 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Expert
Helen I have had that happen a couple times and I put it to two things - lack of nutrition from training too much and also a lot of kicking in a workout. Were you kicking more than normal? Take it easy a bit this week - I also found that it would stay a little tight for few days after and I had to go light on the running.

Originally posted by mtrunner6

HI TEAM!

Sorry for being absent for a while, finals are starting to wind down (I cannot believe I graduate in a little over 2 weeks!) Anyway, training was super spotty for the last two weeks as I has exams etc. But I am now back on track. Quick question for you all though, today in the pool i was doing a super common workout, not to heavy at all (3200) and mid-way through I had massive cramp attacks in my foot and calf. This has never happened to me before in the pool and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on why this may have happened and if there is anything I can do to prevent it in the future? Thanks. Hope training is going well for everyone, happy almost May!

Helen
2014-05-01 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Nice work Dan - those are some impressive splits and consistent especially for a hilly course.

Splits

2014-05-01 9:06 AM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Expert
I like the posting the weekly numbers idea - plus I like it even more that I have something to post

SWIM - 1.75 hours - 4670 Yards
BIKE - 3 hours - 48 miles
RUN - 1.5 hours - 8 miles
STRENGTH - 1 hour

I had a wake up call when my buddy sent me info on the Rev3 Wisconsin Dells 70.3 race course and found out the bike course is a ! When I did IMWI that course has three CAT 5 hills and they sucked (hit them twice with the loop). This Rev3 course has four CAT 5 hills, one CAT 3 hill and one CAT 4 hill. Definitely going to be a challenge. Gonna go up on May 30 and ride the course so I will get a real dose of reality of how I am doing.

I am starting to get back in the swing of the things so hopefully I can still salvage a decent race and not be that guy crawling across the finish line.
2014-05-01 9:32 AM

User image

Regular
Tim,

Happy to see your post and glad to see the mileage!

Let me know if you want company on May 30. I an not doing that race, but it would be great training for me.

Todd
2014-05-01 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Todd - yeah that would be great. I am driving up with my buddy leaving Chicago at around 4am so we would be heading out on the course between 7-8 am. Let me know if you can make it.

Originally posted by ettringite23

Tim,

Happy to see your post and glad to see the mileage!

Let me know if you want company on May 30. I an not doing that race, but it would be great training for me.

Todd

2014-05-02 3:41 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Veteran
Long Island
KTC: I knew you couldn't stay away. Good luck with the new coach!! Keep us posted. Is it an online coach?

It's finally getting nice out here. Hope to ride outside this Sunday. I always get a little un nerved for the first outside bike ride each season. Especially since my son's girlfriend's mom, a casual bike rider was hit and killed 2 years ago this summer. I will get it done tho!!

Had a 10 mile run today. Got tough on the later third. Trying to get in enough mileage for the HM I scheduled for this month.

OH, the wedding was awesome! We had a beautiful day and things went swimmingly well. Looking forward to getting back into my usual training mode tho.

Helen, what are you in school for?

Todd, good luck in the new relationship. I hope things are going well. Does she partake in this craziness??

Now that the wedding is behind us, I need to plan a tri or 2. Planning a light year but I do have the Marine corp full marathon in Oct. I am so not a runner. Not sure what I was thinking. It is on my bucket list but I have to do some research on how I am going to do it. Need to read up on Galloway. I have been running 5 min, walking 30-60 min. In the later part of my long runs, I usually resort to 4:1 out of necessity. It just takes me sooo long to get the miles done at my snail pace. Ayyy.

Have a great week end everyone!!
2014-05-04 10:14 PM
in reply to: avisser

User image

Got all my SBR this week (2-2-3), but still low on bike. Did a brick today, an I am going to try to do them every other week to improve that transition Although I might run faster outside vs the treadmill, I definitely don't when trying to brick. I think some of it is mental. Moving from 20mph on the bike to a run it feels really slow. How slow it feels makes me think I a more tired than I am, and makes me want to stop/walk. I hope the brick training will help some with that.

I went out and bought some compression sleeves for my lower legs. I get some numbness on occasion and wanted to see if they help. Couldn't tell the difference today. Does anyone use them?

Anyway...

Swim - 3250 y, 1h11m
Bike - 25 m - 1h28m
Run - 12.5 - 1h57m
Strength - 1 h

Hope everyone had a good week. This coming one will definitely be hard to get my workouts in.
2014-05-04 10:37 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I like seeing the weekly numbers. Good to know the rest of the team is getting it done.

I had a good training week.

S - 4750 yards
B - 30.2 miles
R - 15.4 miles

Some of those bike miles were dearly earned on a MTB pulling a new (to me) child trailer. My son seemed to like it, so I just need a few more sunny days to get that bike up to 50 miles minimum. I abandoned my "eat only dinner / paleoish low carb" diet several weeks ago and now eat breakfast, sometimes lunch, dinner, and lots of carbs. I feel better when training but my weight is creeping up This is how it's always been for me. I cannot out exercise my appetite when I don't control carbs.

Nate - I considered trying them but my foot pain went away with consistent mileage. Let me know how they work for you.

Dan
2014-05-05 9:41 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team - Guess Who lol.

I hope everyone is doing well. Winter semester has ended so I am going to do my best to get back in here and check in once in a while. Tim - thanks for touching base. I could list a million excuses for being absent from here for the last couple of weeks but they would be just that and I know we are all busy but I am going to try to get back in here to at least say hello.

I hope eveyrone is safe and healthy.

Officialy 12 weeks from yesterday until IM LP and I am grinding it out to the best of my ability.

Have a safe week everyone.

KC
2014-05-05 3:00 PM
in reply to: avisser

User image

Happy Monday to everyone!!!
In answer to your question, I am graduating from law school (pending grades of course) in a few weeks. Thankfully, because school is winding down I was able to ramp up training again, totals for the week:

Swim: 9700 yards
Bike: 167 miles
Run: 36.5 miles

Have a great week all!

Helen

2014-05-05 8:58 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Go Helen! Awesome numbers.
2014-05-06 9:54 PM

User image

Chicago
Great Job Helen!

Originally posted by mtrunner6

Happy Monday to everyone!!!
In answer to your question, I am graduating from law school (pending grades of course) in a few weeks. Thankfully, because school is winding down I was able to ramp up training again, totals for the week:

Swim: 9700 yards
Bike: 167 miles
Run: 36.5 miles

Have a great week all!

Helen
2014-05-07 2:35 PM

Downingtown , Pennsylvania
Helen, I think I just read a reader comment about this in this month's Triathlete Mag. The suggested answer was that it might have to do with kicking off the wall. I've had it happen before and chalked it up to nutrition - probably lack of potassium as it didn't so much happen right after I kicked off but more mid length of the pool.

Todd R.
2014-05-11 10:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Swim and run are good, but I definitely need to bike more. Only 3 weeks before my first century.

S - 6000 yards
B - 20.5 miles
R - 16.4 miles

Edited by pnwdan 2014-05-11 10:29 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

Team Trisuppo - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Started by trisuppo
Views: 29528 Posts: 838

2014-05-16 3:19 PM jackiep
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.