BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-03-03 2:06 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

, West-Vlaanderen
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED)

first race is only in June. But i'm going to ascent the Mont Ventoux from every side in may for a good cause. Not really against another person, just doing it for "fun".

2014-03-03 2:21 PM

User image

Yay for a new month and possible thoughts of spring (for those of us in the northern hemisphere) although the -11F it is supposed to be tonight is a little downheartening. I'm so gald Feb is over, since it was such a cold one!

I'm finally really thinking about training for my summer things and not just running. My bike hubby is making me is all together except final adjustments and handlebar tape, and it is on a trainer, so I can start doing short indoor training. We're a couple weeks out from it being anywhere near warm enough for me to ride outside- yes I'm a wimp when it comes to biking. Swimming is coming along, I did my first 1600 meter swim today, broken into various sets with rests. I'm thrilled! And I had my longest run yet yesterday too. March is going to be a great month!

My events: Half marathon on June 1st. First Sprint tri on June 28th. Maybe there will be a 10K before those, but I'm not registered for anything yet.
2014-03-05 2:47 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Hello all,

Its been awhile since I have checked in, but I have been reading all the posts most every night. I have officially signed up for my first Tri event in my original home town in upstate NY (Keuka Lake Triathlon) on June 8th. This gets the process serious for me now. I have been training and building my endurance by core training (mostly tips from this site), and working on techniques and mechanics on stationary bike and running on the treadmill. I feel my swim is real strong, but still swim twice a week as to build my core muscles some more. I never realized until I started how important core strength training is!
Still on the lookout for a bike, but will have to pull the trigger soon. Probably start with an internet bike from Amazon, and if I feel like this is a hobby pursuing beyond this year, will go to my LBS and get a real descent bike ( I really like the FELT Z85 ). If anyone has any thoughts about a bike from the internet vs. a LBS, I would like to hear them. I can use all of the advice I can get. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and can repair most problems, but if a cassette or crank set were to break, I would be in trouble. If the frame cracked, might as well throw the money spent down the drain. Hope everyone's training and lives are going well too!

Mike
2014-03-06 2:14 AM
in reply to: Mr10670

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Changing a cassette is probably one of hte most easiest tasks to do. You only need the correct tools for it. If you are mechanically inclined, I advise you to search for the youtube instruction movies from park tools (and others) where they explain how to do it. They off course only use their own tools but price/quality wise these tools are good. You can still decide to buy cheaper tools if you want but you will get a nice idea on what to buy if you watch some videos.

Link to Park Tools:

http://www.youtube.com/user/parktoolcompany?feature=watch

Buying a bike online is great if you are willing to work on it by yourself (or find a LBS who is willing to service your bike even though you didn't buy it there)

2014-03-06 3:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chelmsford, England
Morning all, I am a little behind with logging at the minute as my internet has decided to die and I have to wait for an engineer to come out and repair it. Grrrrr.

I went to see my Physio again yesterday about my neck and got poked and prodded but it still doesn't seem to have fixed the issue and if I have to go back he says he will have to manipulate the joint.

I have now done 4 swim sessions without using the pull buoy constantly, well I only use it now when it specifically says in the session plan.

I have also started to add off road running into my runs whenever I can as my first Tri has a 3 mile off-road section.

Edited by Jynxy 2014-03-06 3:39 AM
2014-03-06 7:07 AM
in reply to: Mr10670

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Mr10670 Hello all, Its been awhile since I have checked in, but I have been reading all the posts most every night. I have officially signed up for my first Tri event in my original home town in upstate NY (Keuka Lake Triathlon) on June 8th. This gets the process serious for me now. I have been training and building my endurance by core training (mostly tips from this site), and working on techniques and mechanics on stationary bike and running on the treadmill. I feel my swim is real strong, but still swim twice a week as to build my core muscles some more. I never realized until I started how important core strength training is! Still on the lookout for a bike, but will have to pull the trigger soon. Probably start with an internet bike from Amazon, and if I feel like this is a hobby pursuing beyond this year, will go to my LBS and get a real descent bike ( I really like the FELT Z85 ). If anyone has any thoughts about a bike from the internet vs. a LBS, I would like to hear them. I can use all of the advice I can get. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and can repair most problems, but if a cassette or crank set were to break, I would be in trouble. If the frame cracked, might as well throw the money spent down the drain. Hope everyone's training and lives are going well too! Mike

Welcome back Mike. 

I bought 2 used bikes via E-bay and my road bike directly from the manufacturer, all without riding them first.  It has worked out for me, but I know it doesn't for everyone.  In my case(s), I was ready to "throw away" the whole purchase if it didn't work and thankfully, I never had to do that. 

There was a site with a fit calculator, http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/.  You'll need someone to help, but they do a nice job showing how to take the measurements and then the calculator spits out a geometry for you.  If you haven't done that yet, make that the first step.  Then, whether you shop locally (LBS or craigslist) or online, you'll have a better idea what to look for. 

What kind of riding do you expect to do over the next year or two?  If you're riding primarily for recreation or commuting, consider a fitness bike (available from big-box stores).  They start at about $300 where an entry level road bike at the bike shop is closer to $800.  (Plus, with a road bike, you'll need pedals-shoes where the fitness bike comes with platform pedals.)  No, you won't be as fast/competitive in the tri, but what percentage of your riding time is tri-related?  I did my first two triathlons on my steel-frame mountain bike. 

I have looked at bikesdirect.com but have not purchased from them.  They have a nice assortment of bikes. 

If you purchase a bike at the local shop, it should include a basic fitting.  If you purchase elsewhere, you will have to pay for a fitting if you choose to have them help you set it up right.  Ask the shop what they charge and what's included if you purchase from them. 

If you're mechanically inclined, you can get an old road bike pretty cheap.  Check steel frame bikes for cracks or corrosion at the bottom bracket and head.  You can still drop $100 on new tires, tubes and brake pads (maybe more if you do cables too) for that old bike, but you'll have something distinctive at the race.  (I rode a 1987 Raleigh Technium for my HIM in 2006.  After the race as I'm wheeling my bike out of transition, I joke with the "security" volunteer that this had to be my bike.  If I were stealing one, I'd get a nicer one...

2014-03-06 8:38 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Thanks to all for their advice! I now have a better idea about where to look for a bike now. I was leaning towards a used bike, but the LBS entry level road bike has its advantages being I'm not buying someone else's problem! Given the availability of parts and training videos on youtube and the internet, it doesn't seem as scary to buy a used "garage sale" bike.
Also thanks to McFuzz on the bike calculator. This is a really big help so I know what to look for as far as frame size. being 6' 1" makes finding a bigger frame a bit harder, but something will come along and I still have time from June, as the temps here this morning are 17 degress F!

Thanks again.
2014-03-06 6:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Really DO wait for a nice fitted bike. Its worth the wait (and maybe a extra $). Its just so so so important to get fitted on your bike nicely. I'm a strong believer that a road race frame that fits you, and has been fitted with the right height of the saddle pen, the steering stem and that height too, that bike can be equally comfortable, if not even more, then a bike where you sit up straight. Believe it or not but you're back is NOT meant to be straight on a bike. It does NOT give you good enough protection from road  bumps. Yes, when running your back is straight but then your  anckle, knees and leg muscles are taking the biggest blow. On a bike, a bump hits your spine directly. Having a nice arch in your back disperse the shock evenly across your spine. Taking bumps with a straight back stresses a lot of your lower back spine and can even cause a hernia.

The man who fitted me on a bike even told me he put people with acute hernia on a road racer with a nice arch in the back and they had less problems than with their fitness bike.

Think of it this way, do you really think the pro's could sit 8hours/day for 3 weeks straight in the Tour de France without sitting comfortable?

On another note:

Me and my girlfriend (soon to be wife :D) had a good chat about our finances. Basically, I can buy a tri-bike next year if I keep up the good work and prove i'm really into this. Yaaay! :D Off course, I aint talking about a 3000$ bike. More around 1000-1300, which is more then enough for me. And this year i'll give my bikes a good maintenance so they can keep up for another couple of years so i can save the tri-bike for good weather and don't need a replacement for my 6 year old city-bike. My girlfriend demanded she could buy more clothes instead. Everybody happy :D

Edited by Tridimi 2014-03-06 6:18 PM
2014-03-10 2:30 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
theses rest weeks really are coming around so quickly now.

didn't do a lot the past few days, missed my ride/run on Friday but I did go and play rugby on Saturday where I felt great afterwards instead of completely awful and on sunday I spent the day trying to get 10,000L of water of our first team rugby pitch luckily I had a pump but the firemans hose filed up with water is deceptively heavy now ive got an achy back and sore legs. tablets and rest
2014-03-14 12:05 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

So is it everybody's rest week?? :D

2014-03-14 10:00 AM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

it got awfully quiet in here.

2014-03-14 11:45 AM

User image

Elite

Hello everyone! It sure is quiet in here...I am guilty as well.  I don't know what it has been about these last few weeks but they have flown by so quickly!  How's everyone's training going?  The good? The bad?

As for me, I have been plugging along as usual!  I have a very big volume weekend--which is perfect as we have nothing going on this weekend.  In fact, older daughter and hubby are traveling for softball and younger daughter is going to a sleepover today/tomorrow so I have plenty of alone time.  I'm actually looking forward to it!  Doesn't happen very often!

The good:  I've been consistently training well--hitting all my times, heart rates, etc

The bad:  nothing really--I am getting verrrry nervous for St. George 70.3 however!  I am beginning to second guess how prepared I am--but I just have to trust my training, right?!

2014-03-14 2:06 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Yes, it's been quiet. 

Kim,

Trust the training plan.  There's a reason you chose to follow it 19 weeks ago, and you've done a huge amount of training because of it.  You *ARE* ready for the race, so focus on the positive. 

2014-03-15 1:30 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

The good: My training for March really is good so far. I just did a 5 day intensive training. So i planned friday and maybe today as resting days to hit the bike tomorrow and start with another 5 days of training but a bit less intensive.

The bad: As of last night, a sudden (minor) flu hit me. I had severe fever attacks last night going from feeling extremely cold to extremely hot and sweaty. Been to the doctor and he said he already had a lot of people the last days with the same symptoms. The fever is as good a over. Still have a headache and sore muscles. Mostly legs and lower back muscles. Which is, for me, always a sign that i'm ill and a bit feverish. So now all i can do is rest and take painkillers with anti-fever workings. The painkillers have really been working well and I have been sleeping a lot during the day. I believe another day of resting will heal me completely. Maybe i'll be able to start training again on monday, which would be perfect.

2014-03-15 9:04 PM

User image

I've definitely been quiet- bad case of the winter blahs. We just got about 16 inches of snow in the most recent storm, so it has been hard to get up the incentive to get anything done.

Good: I went for a decent run today, 7.4 miles while the temp is up. It's been 3 days since my last run, but I did get a swim and very short bike on my now finished Frankenbike!!!

Bad: tomorrow's high: 16F, tomorrow's night low: 2F. I need spring.
2014-03-16 3:58 AM
in reply to: #4921078

User image

Hi everyone
I am guilty to of not checking I and inspiring. I have been hectic last few weeks with work trip to Melbourne and did not start my first Tri today due to a bad case do sinusitis I can hardly breathe or move without my head pounding.

So pretty disappointed but need to get back on board from tomorrow, and work towards last sprint and OD in August.

Have been training but not enough, work should settle down a little bit now
Hope everyone is well

2014-03-16 7:24 AM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

OK: goals for the week- if we don't have any more snowstorms, and no one gets sick, and nothing goes crazy at work.

2 days biking on the trainer (short times, just getting the muscles started)
3 days swimming. doing the N+1 challenge
5 days running 2, 5, 2, 5, long (can drop one of these if things get to much) also one of the 2 days at the track with a little bit of non slow sections. Won't call them fast yet- I haven't tried to go faster than just getting it done slow in a while.

anyone else?
2014-03-16 9:46 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

@Nancy

Despite of the cold and all the snow, its amazing you still do so much running. A big thumbs up from me to you

@Lana

We can't do much about getting sick except to accept you are sick and try to rest as much as possible and not force yourself into training. After a workout when your sick, your body needs to work towards recuperating from your work-out AND still getting healthy. IMHO its better then to wait another day. As for getting busy at work, well, that's just bad luck. We are still amateurs and not pro's. There are other things besides only training for your goals. The more time I spend on training, the more I find i should cherish family time, my own free time where i DON'T do any training and off course quality sleep time. Especially quality sleep time!. If work gets in the way, the first thing that gets cut back on is training time. I can't cut back on family time and I still need some hours alone (allthough not that much) where I can just sit back and enjoy some reading or just don't do nothing. So when I look back and see I've done a lot just to train allthough certain circumstances really prevented me from doing a lot of training, I really can be happy with just a few hours of training in a week.

For example these last three days. Friday was a planned resting day. Yesterday and today I had planned 2 nice training days but sickness has made me change my plans. Thats bad luck. And I'm not happy about it. But I'm not dissappointed. I just slept a lot. (I slept/rested about 22 hours in the last 40hours)  I feel almost completely healed so now i'm planning a new training week, ready to kick some !! :D

I hope my ramblings made some sense...

2014-03-16 8:03 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by el penguino I've definitely been quiet- bad case of the winter blahs. We just got about 16 inches of snow in the most recent storm, so it has been hard to get up the incentive to get anything done. Good: I went for a decent run today, 7.4 miles while the temp is up. It's been 3 days since my last run, but I did get a swim and very short bike on my now finished Frankenbike!!! Bad: tomorrow's high: 16F, tomorrow's night low: 2F. I need spring.

The bike is done and you haven't posted pics yet? 

We're fast approaching spring, so do what you can to get in the workouts. 

2014-03-16 8:06 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Lana & DImitri,

I hope you feel better.  It isn't fun being sick. 

2014-03-16 8:10 PM

User image

good point! I'll take the camera down and get some pics tomorrow. My favorite part is the bright green handlebar tape!

2014-03-17 8:24 AM

User image

Yes pics would inspire me to get going on the bike here as well. However a new coating of 6" of snow, so will have to wait another week.

Bummer

However, back to the gym and turning laps in the pool, and hitting the weights and treadmill. I have been working with a trainer and working on core strength.
2014-03-19 4:31 AM

User image

Originally posted by Tridimi

So is it everybody's rest week?? :D

AGREED!
2014-03-19 4:51 AM

User image

Originally posted by Tridimi

@Nancy

Despite of the cold and all the snow, its amazing you still do so much running. A big thumbs up from me to you

@Lana

We can't do much about getting sick except to accept you are sick and try to rest as much as possible and not force yourself into training. After a workout when your sick, your body needs to work towards recuperating from your work-out AND still getting healthy. IMHO its better then to wait another day. As for getting busy at work, well, that's just bad luck. We are still amateurs and not pro's. There are other things besides only training for your goals. The more time I spend on training, the more I find i should cherish family time, my own free time where i DON'T do any training and off course quality sleep time. Especially quality sleep time!. If work gets in the way, the first thing that gets cut back on is training time. I can't cut back on family time and I still need some hours alone (allthough not that much) where I can just sit back and enjoy some reading or just don't do nothing. So when I look back and see I've done a lot just to train allthough certain circumstances really prevented me from doing a lot of training, I really can be happy with just a few hours of training in a week.

For example these last three days. Friday was a planned resting day. Yesterday and today I had planned 2 nice training days but sickness has made me change my plans. Thats bad luck. And I'm not happy about it. But I'm not dissappointed. I just slept a lot. (I slept/rested about 22 hours in the last 40hours)  I feel almost completely healed so now i'm planning a new training week, ready to kick some !! :D

I hope my ramblings made some sense...

Your ramblings are very sensible Dim!
2014-03-22 2:56 PM

User image

Elite
McFuzzies!!! I made the podium today! 2nd place Women 40-44! I'll be filling out a race report later but I think my final time was 3:03, haven't even looked at my splits yet! It was a great race! Proud of myself!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 36861 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.