General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-01-01 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread
Who's in?

Name: Zanne
Ironman number: 5

I finished IMLT last year, but just barely. I kicked an underwater rock a minute or so after the swim start and broke 2 toes. Finished 16:56, so I'm looking to grab a finish more in line with my training and IM finish history. Shooting for sub 13:30.

Edited by LittleCat 2014-01-01 2:58 PM

2014-01-02 5:05 AM
in reply to: LittleCat

New user
Bonney Lake
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread
I am in.
I am Eric
This will be IM #6 if all goes well this year. I am fighting a lot of pains right now and trying to get back into training mode for IMCDA and IMLT for 2014 but can not get my body to cooperate right now. Good luck to you all and happy training.
2014-01-02 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

I'll be there in support mode with a 4-month-old this year.  Hubby and a large group of friends will be racing.  Tahoe is a second home for my family, and I love that we now have a race in this beautiful location.  I almost did it last year, but had already committed to Full Vineman with a friend.

Zanne, we were there volunteering on the run and cheering you into the finish this last year!  Given the conditions and how many people were dropping out without injury, your finish was all the more amazing!  Lots of lessons learned by our group simply by spectating.  Train hard, and be prepared for anything weather-wise!

2014-01-03 8:51 AM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

I am in.

I am doing Ironman Canada (Whistler) on July 27th first, then 8 weeks later I am doing IM Lake Tahoe. That will be IMs #2 and #3.
I am hoping for epic weather on race day. That is why I signed up for this race.

Dwayne
2014-01-07 2:54 PM

User image

Master

I am on the fence with this. I have some logistics with a bike to figure out.

2014-01-07 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
Dublin, CA
I'm not sure if I'll be racing this year, but just out of curiosity what training plans will you all be using and/or recommend for IMLT?

I used the BT Beginner IM 20 week/RPE plan for IMAZ and it worked out great. Just wondering if the same plan would work or if a more advanced plan is needed to finish sub 14hr.

2014-01-08 7:58 AM
in reply to: Kdea

User image

Master

I will be using a coach. So its what ever plan they have for me.

2014-01-15 10:35 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Originally posted by Kdea I'm not sure if I'll be racing this year, but just out of curiosity what training plans will you all be using and/or recommend for IMLT? I used the BT Beginner IM 20 week/RPE plan for IMAZ and it worked out great. Just wondering if the same plan would work or if a more advanced plan is needed to finish sub 14hr.

I did it last year and I can't recommend a plan but I will say: bike more often, and bike more hills.  This race has 8000 feet of climbing.  I'm a decent cyclist and my Tahoe time was nearly an hour off my other IM bike times.  And even the pros in Tahoe were biking 30-40 minutes higher than normal.

Whatever plan you go with, make sure it is bike focused.  The run training isn't very important if your legs are cramping up during the bike, or worse yet, if you miss the bike cutoff.

Edited by spudone 2014-01-15 10:38 AM
2014-01-16 8:59 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Veteran
I absolutely agree with spudone. I also did LT last year and followed what I thought was a 30 week training program that I thought included high intensity high volume bike sessions. My bike time on this course was over an hour slower then my previous IM bike time. This bike course is no joke and I would definitely choose a training program based on bike volume. I would also climb as many steep hills as you can and as often as you can. Good luck to everyone doing this race this year. The course is beautiful and very tough. I loved the race and can't wait to go back one day.
2014-01-21 7:31 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
I'm in For 2014...

This is #5 for me

looking forward to it !
2014-01-22 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

I'm in. After reading the race reports from last year, I just had to sign up. It'll be IM#7 for me. I'll do IMCDA in June and then IMLT. Should be a hoot!

2014-01-22 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by LittleCat

Who's in?

Name: Zanne
Ironman number: 5

I finished IMLT last year, but just barely. I kicked an underwater rock a minute or so after the swim start and broke 2 toes. Finished 16:56, so I'm looking to grab a finish more in line with my training and IM finish history. Shooting for sub 13:30.

I think this is not the first post on IMLT where I've heard of broken toes due to underwater rocks. That sucks!

I'm in.
2014-01-22 8:41 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

Master
, California

Btw I am following this thread but I am not repeating the race this year.  I would love another shot at the course based on the bike profile, but the cold just took all the fun out of it for me.

2014-01-23 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by spudone

Btw I am following this thread but I am not repeating the race this year.  I would love another shot at the course based on the bike profile, but the cold just took all the fun out of it for me.

How did you prep for the cold? What did you use as your cycle and run gear?

I'm planning on bringing options for the actual temps that day, but if its as cold as I heard it was last year, I'm thinking of full leg bibs with some winterization, a fall jacket with base layer for the cycling, and a long sleeve for the running. Don't think I'd run with pants unless it was really freezing.
2014-01-23 3:29 PM
in reply to: Kdea

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by Kdea

I'm not sure if I'll be racing this year, but just out of curiosity what training plans will you all be using and/or recommend for IMLT?

I used the BT Beginner IM 20 week/RPE plan for IMAZ and it worked out great. Just wondering if the same plan would work or if a more advanced plan is needed to finish sub 14hr.

Stubbornly doing my own plan based on a couple of books including "Going Long". So far it is FAIL, due to an early season H1N1 bout 3 weeks ago.
2014-01-24 9:43 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Originally posted by FranzZemen

How did you prep for the cold? What did you use as your cycle and run gear? I'm planning on bringing options for the actual temps that day, but if its as cold as I heard it was last year, I'm thinking of full leg bibs with some winterization, a fall jacket with base layer for the cycling, and a long sleeve for the running. Don't think I'd run with pants unless it was really freezing.

I live and train in the Seattle area so I did better than many people.  The weather wasn't going to end my day but it wasn't pleasant either.

First, the T1 bags were not kept in a covered area.  There was a nasty weather front prior to the race.  Some of my stuff was caked in ice.  Make sure you double bag your gear if they do it that way again.  Also the day before, during bike check-in, bring duct tape or something to make a triangle from your saddle to the bike rack.  The wind was blowing bikes right off.

Race: swim was the best part of the day but I recommend wearing booties because the sand is really cold when you're waiting for the start of the race.

The bike was cold on the first section (~25 miles?) going past Squaw through a valley, shaded and fast on a slight downhill.  I had a long sleeved cycling jacket with a full zipper, a beanie under my helmet and hefty gloves and toe covers.  I was still shivering a lot.  Just after Truckee you get into the first set of climbs and get some sun to warm up.  It was actually getting too hot up the Brockway climb but I unzipped my jacket instead of using the clothes drop.  That was a good call because it was cold again going back down into lap 2, so I zipped back up.

Running, same deal.  Too hot in direct sun and then really cold in the shade and when the sun started going down.  I tied a long sleeve fleece around my waist and put it on halfway.  Still too cold.  I should've kept another layer in my special needs bag.

Hope that helps you guys plan a bit.  We didn't get rain but I had a different waterproof jacket I would've used in that case.

I'm not sure what I'd do differently.  Shivering sucked because my back got tight, but I think it's a balance deciding how many clothes you want in the sunny sections.

Edited by spudone 2014-01-24 9:45 PM

2014-01-25 2:54 PM

User image

Thanks for the awesome information spudone.
I am from Canada (Winnipeg) and I cycle commute from March to about November. I have a really good supply of wet weather/cold weather gear. The difference is my bike ride is only 1 hour each way, and there is a nice hot shower at the end, not a 4 hour run.
I specifically targeted this race based on the race reports from last year. I want to see how tough this can be.
Dwayne
2014-01-25 4:11 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Another big piece is nutrition. If its the same cold as last year, most people can expect a decent jump in caloric needs. This is when you have a choice to either go against your race nutrition plan or stick with your plan. Your choice can easily make or break your race.

As for T1 if its cold again, heres a few things that work very well for me:
I had zero issues in T1. As someone else mentioned double bag your bag, your race will pretty much be over if your kit gets wet and its 29 degrees. I had a box of 100 bags and offered them around at T1 the day before. One girl thought her stuff getting wet wasnt a big deal-"I'll just ride in wet clothes.'

When you pack your bag, pack it in reverse order so you have the first thing you need, a towel, on top. This way you can just work your way down into your bag and saves you time/angst from dumping your bag in a very crowded tent.

Wear your wetsuit straight into the tent. This will help conserve heat, and conserving body warmth is priority. Leave your swim cap on too while you get to the tent, again, conserve heat.

Baby powder is hands down the best thing to help get your clothes on fast. Towel off well, then dump it on and rub it around. This absorbs the dampness from your skin so your clothes slide right on.

Don't underestimate the cold factor of the first 25 miles. Its mostly flat, fast and slightly downhill. That is a long time to be cold until the climbs. Throw on an extra layer to stay warm. Plus the decents off Northstar and Brockway were freezing!!

Last year when we knew it was going to be so cold plenty of folks pulled the HTFU card about not doing a full T1 change, but every one of them ended up changing. A wet tri suit, no matter what and how many layers you put over it, in 29 degrees is no joke. You WILL be cold getting out of the lake, the sand will be a frozen muddy slush. 112 miles being cold/under clothed is a recipe for a DNF.
2014-01-26 7:49 PM

Master
, California

Hopefully they'll have bigger changing tents this year.  If you were in the MOP swim group, the tents were a mosh pit.  By the time I stepped inside and saw how bad it was, it was too late to turn around and go back outside.

If the weather is a little warmer, I'd suggest just keeping the tri shorts on and changing everything else outside the tents.  My T1 was like 20 minutes

2014-02-01 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Originally posted by FranzZemen

How did you prep for the cold? What did you use as your cycle and run gear? I'm planning on bringing options for the actual temps that day, but if its as cold as I heard it was last year, I'm thinking of full leg bibs with some winterization, a fall jacket with base layer for the cycling, and a long sleeve for the running. Don't think I'd run with pants unless it was really freezing.

I live and train in the Seattle area so I did better than many people.  The weather wasn't going to end my day but it wasn't pleasant either.

First, the T1 bags were not kept in a covered area.  There was a nasty weather front prior to the race.  Some of my stuff was caked in ice.  Make sure you double bag your gear if they do it that way again.  Also the day before, during bike check-in, bring duct tape or something to make a triangle from your saddle to the bike rack.  The wind was blowing bikes right off.

Race: swim was the best part of the day but I recommend wearing booties because the sand is really cold when you're waiting for the start of the race.

The bike was cold on the first section (~25 miles?) going past Squaw through a valley, shaded and fast on a slight downhill.  I had a long sleeved cycling jacket with a full zipper, a beanie under my helmet and hefty gloves and toe covers.  I was still shivering a lot.  Just after Truckee you get into the first set of climbs and get some sun to warm up.  It was actually getting too hot up the Brockway climb but I unzipped my jacket instead of using the clothes drop.  That was a good call because it was cold again going back down into lap 2, so I zipped back up.

Running, same deal.  Too hot in direct sun and then really cold in the shade and when the sun started going down.  I tied a long sleeve fleece around my waist and put it on halfway.  Still too cold.  I should've kept another layer in my special needs bag.

Hope that helps you guys plan a bit.  We didn't get rain but I had a different waterproof jacket I would've used in that case.

I'm not sure what I'd do differently.  Shivering sucked because my back got tight, but I think it's a balance deciding how many clothes you want in the sunny sections.

Thanks for the tips! These are things I'd never think of, like keeping the jacket on for the 2nd lap.
2014-02-01 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by LittleCat

Another big piece is nutrition. If its the same cold as last year, most people can expect a decent jump in caloric needs. This is when you have a choice to either go against your race nutrition plan or stick with your plan. Your choice can easily make or break your race.

As for T1 if its cold again, heres a few things that work very well for me:
I had zero issues in T1. As someone else mentioned double bag your bag, your race will pretty much be over if your kit gets wet and its 29 degrees. I had a box of 100 bags and offered them around at T1 the day before. One girl thought her stuff getting wet wasnt a big deal-"I'll just ride in wet clothes.'

When you pack your bag, pack it in reverse order so you have the first thing you need, a towel, on top. This way you can just work your way down into your bag and saves you time/angst from dumping your bag in a very crowded tent.

Wear your wetsuit straight into the tent. This will help conserve heat, and conserving body warmth is priority. Leave your swim cap on too while you get to the tent, again, conserve heat.

Baby powder is hands down the best thing to help get your clothes on fast. Towel off well, then dump it on and rub it around. This absorbs the dampness from your skin so your clothes slide right on.

Don't underestimate the cold factor of the first 25 miles. Its mostly flat, fast and slightly downhill. That is a long time to be cold until the climbs. Throw on an extra layer to stay warm. Plus the decents off Northstar and Brockway were freezing!!

Last year when we knew it was going to be so cold plenty of folks pulled the HTFU card about not doing a full T1 change, but every one of them ended up changing. A wet tri suit, no matter what and how many layers you put over it, in 29 degrees is no joke. You WILL be cold getting out of the lake, the sand will be a frozen muddy slush. 112 miles being cold/under clothed is a recipe for a DNF.

Also great tips! Love the baby powder idea! Might also clear some room in the men's tent...

2014-02-02 5:31 PM

User image

In November I registered for this race after not being able to get into Arizona. I wanted to do an Ironman last year when I turned 50, that was the plan. Too much going on in my life last year. I'll be 51 for the 2014 Lake Tahoe IM race. It's going to be one hell of a challenge for me.

The goal will be to train my hardest to be in the best shape of my life so that I might enjoy rather than just endure this race.

I really appreciate the posts from those of you who did this race last year. Gives me a little bit of butterflies to say the least.
2014-02-16 5:27 PM

User image

Currently I’ve been shooting from the hip on my workouts, going 6 days a week with five daily doubles and 3 strength sessions. I am enjoying the training.

I have an idea of where I plan to be at a minimum of 20 weeks out. That is when I would be comfortable starting a race plan which has yet to be determined. As for the plan, simple is what I will be looking for. Don’t get me wrong, not easy, just simple. I get a little lost with some of the plans that I’ve read. Matt Fitzgerald has one that appeals to me but not sure if it will get me through Tahoe. When I did a half distance it was created here on BT and it worked well, so I’m also leaning that way.

Would love a coach but not sure if this dude can afford one.

Just a short ramble, ideas / advice ???

Brian

2014-02-19 3:23 AM
in reply to: goingthere

Master
, California

Originally posted by goingthere Currently I’ve been shooting from the hip on my workouts, going 6 days a week with five daily doubles and 3 strength sessions. I am enjoying the training. I have an idea of where I plan to be at a minimum of 20 weeks out. That is when I would be comfortable starting a race plan which has yet to be determined. As for the plan, simple is what I will be looking for. Don’t get me wrong, not easy, just simple. I get a little lost with some of the plans that I’ve read. Matt Fitzgerald has one that appeals to me but not sure if it will get me through Tahoe. When I did a half distance it was created here on BT and it worked well, so I’m also leaning that way. Would love a coach but not sure if this dude can afford one. Just a short ramble, ideas / advice ??? Brian

Check the BT Mentor Groups, Shane (gsmacleod) is a coach and might be able to point you in the right direction even if you don't become a full time client.

My other advice: make sure you have a compact crankset for this course and probably an 11/28 cassette, minimum.  I rode it on a standard and was cursing myself.

2014-02-19 11:23 PM

User image

I will look into the mentor groups / Shane as you mentioned.
As for my gearing my front gears are 3 a 52/42/30 and the rear cassette of 9 gears 12/26. Will that work?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by ernestov
Views: 33875 Posts: 135

2014-02-03 11:08 PM Baowolf

Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193

Started by Fred D
Views: 378082 Posts: 4809

2010-09-14 1:51 PM TankBoy

Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jcbolton
Views: 8933 Posts: 59

2009-06-26 4:09 PM jldicarlo

Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by devouahy
Views: 11264 Posts: 55

2009-08-19 12:47 PM halfironmike

Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20

Started by tasr
Views: 45607 Posts: 481

2009-08-05 6:13 PM PennState
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: