General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-03-02 4:48 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread
Had a question for you......Trust your input cause I know you from the BT Ironman St George thread.

Ironman Tahoe took down the athlete guide from 2013...can't find the answers there ;0)

I am looking at staying near the start but had questions regarding special needs, run bag drop off. I just want to MAKE SURE that there was drop off the day before OR/AND at the swim start for these bags. The last thing I want to do is drive to Squaw Valley in the morning to drop my bags off.
Experience tells me I am good cause I'll be able to drop them off the day before or at the start BUT before I bite the bullet and pay for my lodging I wanted to know what they did in 2013.

Side note for all:
I am from Tahoe and the weather is unpredictable and weird. I would plan and pack for normal temp, hot, cold and wet. What happened in 2013 is not 'the norm' temp/weather for that time of year. Mid 60s to 70s is average from experience.........

HOWEVER....................

I was backpacking in Tahoe in early August a few years back. It was high 90s and beautiful. Overnight it got windy. I woke up, looked at the sky and knew it was time to pack it up. On our way down the trail it started snowing and by the time we reached the car it was a full blown storm. It preceded to be wet and cold for the next 3 days. The next week it was back to beautiful and 90s
It doesnt matter what month of year it is, the sierras and the wind make it a chance for anything to happen.................

Which I really don't even want to bring up THE WIND but I read about the climbing and everyones talking about the climbing and I hope all we have to worry about is the climbing (and the potential for cold).........

because I survived Ironman St George 2012 Swim and I really don't want to have to do a swim like that ever again.....but I knew the risk when I signed up for Ironman Lake Tahoe. That Lake gets freakin blown out like its cool. But thats ok...Tahoe Tessy will save us.

2014-03-03 11:50 AM
in reply to: ChrissiAnn

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Originally posted by ChrissiAnn

Had a question for you......Trust your input cause I know you from the BT Ironman St George thread.

Ironman Tahoe took down the athlete guide from 2013...can't find the answers there ;0)

I am looking at staying near the start but had questions regarding special needs, run bag drop off. I just want to MAKE SURE that there was drop off the day before OR/AND at the swim start for these bags. The last thing I want to do is drive to Squaw Valley in the morning to drop my bags off.
Experience tells me I am good cause I'll be able to drop them off the day before or at the start BUT before I bite the bullet and pay for my lodging I wanted to know what they did in 2013.

Side note for all:
I am from Tahoe and the weather is unpredictable and weird. I would plan and pack for normal temp, hot, cold and wet. What happened in 2013 is not 'the norm' temp/weather for that time of year. Mid 60s to 70s is average from experience.........

HOWEVER....................

I was backpacking in Tahoe in early August a few years back. It was high 90s and beautiful. Overnight it got windy. I woke up, looked at the sky and knew it was time to pack it up. On our way down the trail it started snowing and by the time we reached the car it was a full blown storm. It preceded to be wet and cold for the next 3 days. The next week it was back to beautiful and 90s
It doesnt matter what month of year it is, the sierras and the wind make it a chance for anything to happen.................

Which I really don't even want to bring up THE WIND but I read about the climbing and everyones talking about the climbing and I hope all we have to worry about is the climbing (and the potential for cold).........

because I survived Ironman St George 2012 Swim and I really don't want to have to do a swim like that ever again.....but I knew the risk when I signed up for Ironman Lake Tahoe. That Lake gets freakin blown out like its cool. But thats ok...Tahoe Tessy will save us.

The special needs drop bags are dropped off race morning at the start, Kings Beach. I rent a little cabin in Tahoe City simply to be away from the world

2014-03-18 10:48 AM

Regular
During the swim portion of the race do you have to get out of the water to start your 2nd lap? The map seems to show that you do not get out of the water but wasn't positive on this. Thanks for any insight as to how the swim portion is handled.
2014-03-21 10:47 AM

User image

I am in.

In 2011 I finished IMAZ. My first.

I know I will need to be in MUCH better shape for LT - due to bike elevation gain and altitude. Going to have to a lot of work to do on the bike.

Thank for all the posts from previous racers. The information on bike setup and compact cranks sets is also very useful as I will want all the help I can get on the bike!

2014-03-21 8:53 PM
in reply to: wasabi

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Originally posted by wasabi During the swim portion of the race do you have to get out of the water to start your 2nd lap? The map seems to show that you do not get out of the water but wasn't positive on this. Thanks for any insight as to how the swim portion is handled.

We did not get out of the water for the second lap.  Originally I think they had us exiting, but changed to stay in water.

2014-03-22 12:27 PM
in reply to: karen26.2

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Considering the air temperature, it would have been pure hell to have to get out halfway and then get out again at the end!

Interesting thing-there is a pretty substantial thermocline. The water is quite a bit colder closer to shore, the suddenly gets warmer as you get past the thermocline. But it gets colder again when you get back closer to shore.

2014-03-25 2:05 PM

Regular
Thank you both for taking the time to answer my question on the swim portion of the race. Glad to hear we don't have to get out of the water for the 2nd loop.
2014-04-09 6:08 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
I am down for a couple of weeks. Just got my Gallbladder taken out.

I guess i get to start training on "patience"... it is definitely one of my weaknesses.
2014-05-11 11:53 AM
in reply to: goingthere

User image

Assuming gearing for low gears are similar wondering about road bike versus tri bike for this race? I have swapped out my cassette on my tri so it is 11-28. Wondering what others are planning? Hope everyone's training is going well!

2014-05-12 3:47 PM
in reply to: paceman82203

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains

I am also doing an 11-28 with a full size crank.  Sometimes I wish I coudl use a compact for this course.

Fortunatelly I am used to that type of climbing hear in Colorado, but I think that being able to keep the cadence high, without over exerting the quads is a big component for this race going into the run.

The new section going into Northstar is still pretty challenging, and is not a gimme in comparison to last year in the neighborhood by any means.

Originally posted by paceman82203 Assuming gearing for low gears are similar wondering about road bike versus tri bike for this race? I have swapped out my cassette on my tri so it is 11-28. Wondering what others are planning? Hope everyone's training is going well!

2014-05-13 12:30 PM
in reply to: paceman82203

User image

Originally posted by paceman82203

Assuming gearing for low gears are similar wondering about road bike versus tri bike for this race? I have swapped out my cassette on my tri so it is 11-28. Wondering what others are planning? Hope everyone's training is going well!

I am going with 11-28 as well. i don't want to spend the money on going higher but I think i will be ok. I am hoping to train a couple of times on the course this summer so that may or may not change my mind

2014-05-25 10:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I did IMLT last year, poorly. Those 10-12 percent grades on the bike x 20 hills trashed my knees which killed my run. Overall I was 3 ish hours slower than other IMs. I am doing IMCDA in June, so I hope to finish a bit better this time, but not looking to crush it. Last go I shivered for 50 miles on the bike, and got feeling back in my feet around mile 70 on the bike.

If the weather is going to be the same this year I will go with full windproof leggings, thicker gloves, windproof jacket, windblock head cover under the bike helmet and see how it goes. Do count on needing a headlamp for the run unless you are hitting sub 10:30 IMs on easier courses. Do not kill yourself on the first lap on the hills. My goal is to do the first lap 15 minutes slower, second lap 30 minutes faster and the run 60 minutes faster.

The water is so clear in the lake that it is almost worth the rest of it just to swim in that clear water and see forever underwater. Although, be prepared to have no visibility above water due to the fog from the cold air temp. Last year there was frost on the bike seats when we started the swim, bring plastic to cover your seat.

Also, in T! don't count on being able to get into the changing tent. Last year there was not even standing room in the changing tent and T1 times were ilke 30 minutes for folks who changed inside. There were no lights, no place to sit and luck getting on your shoes without getting a bit too familiar with your neighbor. Yes I T1d outside.

So this will be IM 6 for me.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-05-25 10:41 PM
2014-05-27 9:09 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Thanks for all the great information about this race. Keep it coming.

I am nervous about the difficulty of this race, but it is the main reason I chose it. I want to see what my body, and my mind, are capable of.
2014-05-27 6:43 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Expert
Guatemala

I'm in and thanks all for the great info to date!

I did my 2nd IM in Cozumel in December and developed an ITB injury on my right knee, which is still bugging me, and which forced me to cancel my plan to do the Challenge USA in AC in June.  So I'm hoping that I'm almost fully recovered by Sept for IM Lake Tahoe!

2014-05-31 7:40 PM
in reply to: trigabe

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Here are my numbers for the month, hope everyone's training is going alright.

Swim: 15h 34m 15s - 36400 Yd

Bike: 41h 36m 15s - 758.77 Mi

Run: 27h 24m 01s - 184.23 Mi
2014-05-31 11:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
My numbers are really skewed since I'm primarily an ultra runner and I just came off of a 50k race that my goal was a podium spot. Accomplished that so now the rest gets folded in:

Swim: big fat goose egg. Thankfully I'm a fish. Hello chlorine

Bike: 80 miles, my speed is strong, endurance is still decent.

Run: 322 miles. FWIW, if your curious what that looked like: I've been putting in 78 mile/week avg. The last 2.5 months I did a total of seven 30 mile training runs, once a week for 3 weeks the a recovery, then 4 more then tapered for 10 days. Missed 1st place by 9 minutes.

The bright side is its my 5th IM, I finished Tahoe last year even though I broke 2 toes by kicking an underwater rock at the swim start.

I also have a 50m mountain ultra 10 weeks post Tahoe, so my run volume will be relatively high compared to a straight IM build. I've done this kind of tight turn around before so I'm feeling fine with it all.

Zan

Edited by LittleCat 2014-05-31 11:17 PM

2014-06-02 7:19 PM

User image

Not a whole lot of volume yet but I am on track

Swim: 10000 Yd but i am not worried about the swim

Bike: 251 Miles , having issues with liquid consumption

Run: 44.25 Mi on track
2014-06-02 10:03 PM
in reply to: MrSolis

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains

Yeah, my #'s were a bit off for the month of May due to a business trip and then birth of a new baby right after the trip, but pretty happy with the last 4 week cycle.

On to a rest week now, and then some early season races in the next few weeks locally in Colorado and then Vineman to knock off the rust, and then 2 more months to Tahoe.

*Distance not actual -tend to forget my computer on my runs, and I don't log Computrainer miles*

Swim: 8h 51m 21s  - 26812 Yd
Bike: 22h 20m 24s  - 326.38 Mi
Run: 12h 05m 04s  - 45.93 Mi
Strength: 1h 30m
2014-06-09 2:58 PM

Regular
I believe the majority of the run is on a bike path. Is this correct? Also, I was wondering if this bike path was asphalt or concrete. Thanks for any clarification.
2014-06-09 5:11 PM

User image

Originally posted by wasabi

I believe the majority of the run is on a bike path. Is this correct? Also, I was wondering if this bike path was asphalt or concrete. Thanks for any clarification.

You are correct, it is mostly bike path and it is asphalt. I am not sure if it has a dirt shoulder which I would prefer. I should know in a couple of weeks since I might be going up there
2014-06-10 10:45 AM
in reply to: MrSolis

Regular
Thanks for the information. Dirt on the side would be nice but at least it is not concrete. That's great that you can train on the course. Have Fun!!

2014-06-11 11:12 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yups it is on an asphalt bike path for the most part. Remember to buy swim socks early if you want your feet to not be numb for 70miles into the bike (they will be sold out at the race venue) and have head laps that clip onto your hat as the stretchy band headlamp around your head will give you a headache, Lastly remember that you can not leave anything in your special needs bike or run bag. Anything in there you need to take or they will throw it out for fear or bears raiding the area.
2014-06-30 11:16 PM

User image

Earlier this year I wanted to ride in Tahoe to get a feel for the course. Unfortunately it didn’t work out. But, Bend Oregon is not far from where I live so I shot over here and did my long ride / run around Mt. Bachelor today. Absolutely beautiful. Ill be back.
What I learned: I have a three gear front crank. It stays and glad I have it. Altitude not as high as Tahoe but other then breathing heavily after getting something to eat it didn’t seem to be much of a problem. 83 mile ride and 5 mile run.
I think everyone in this town owns a bike.
2014-07-03 12:10 PM
in reply to: goingthere

Orange County, California
Hi all - I'm not racing IM or 70.3 Lake Tahoe but I vacationed up there a few weekends ago and wanted to share my experience. I brought my running and bike gear to get in some training. I decided to run the first day and bike the next. I really underestimated the high elevation. You don't feel it much when not exercising, but boy was it bad when I started running. I felt like I was breathing through a straw. I have asthma, but it is well controlled with my meds so I don't think that was a factor. I was just blinded sided how much the elevation impacted my breathing. After my 4 mile loop (I had planned for a longer run) I decided not to bike.

I thought I'd share this not to scare anyone, but more of a tip for those who are not used to high elevation and maybe those with asthma.
2014-07-03 9:12 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Canyon, Texas
Originally posted by Baowolf

Yups it is on an asphalt bike path for the most part. Remember to buy swim socks early if you want your feet to not be numb for 70miles into the bike (they will be sold out at the race venue) and have head laps that clip onto your hat as the stretchy band headlamp around your head will give you a headache, Lastly remember that you can not leave anything in your special needs bike or run bag. Anything in there you need to take or they will throw it out for fear or bears raiding the area.

Hey Steve, I am considering signing up for IMLT... it looks like the bike course has been watered down from last year. From 8,000ft to 6,700ft climbing? It appears that they took one of the steep hills out. Could you please speak to how this would improve the bike portion? How would you compare this new course to this year's CdA? Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by ernestov
Views: 33861 Posts: 135

2014-02-03 11:08 PM Baowolf

Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193

Started by Fred D
Views: 378044 Posts: 4809

2010-09-14 1:51 PM TankBoy

Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jcbolton
Views: 8928 Posts: 59

2009-06-26 4:09 PM jldicarlo

Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by devouahy
Views: 11259 Posts: 55

2009-08-19 12:47 PM halfironmike

Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20

Started by tasr
Views: 45597 Posts: 481

2009-08-05 6:13 PM PennState
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: