General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-07-04 2:55 PM
in reply to: tlancer23

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread

Hey there, I did not race it last year, but have used it for training camps leading into IM Canada as well as my wife for IM Moo for the last 3 years. 

all be it they took out Marteston Camp, the "watered down" section into the ski resort is still pretty hefty, and will not be a gimme by any means.  You will still get a good burn coming up from the airport to make a right hand turn into the resort for about 1.5 miles, and then the climbs into the parking lot area will still be a good burn.  Of course, after a screaming descent, you will still get 2 more miles of 4-10% grade to the top of Brockway. 

Much like last year, I think the key will be to not blow up too hard in the neighborhood coming out of Truckee, as well as going to hard into the resort.  With not being able to ride in Marteston, I think a lot of people underestimated how tough that would be.  I think this year, people may still underestimate the resort section. 

Even living here in Colorado at 6000 feet, the altitude takes a lot out of the muscles without realizing it.  Any chance you get to train high, take it.  We typically head up above 8000-10000 to get altitude training.  Unlike races in the past, at 6000, I will be dead even with where I live, but will not have the advantage of racing down at a lower altitude for this one. 

I'll be back in Tahoe the week of the 13th after 70.3 Vineman for training camp as well as again the week of August 17th for training camp.  I will put up more beta after I ride/train some sections in 2 weeks.  Will try to have some updated video and TCX data for the Computrainer. 

Happy training.

Originally posted by tlancer23
Originally posted by Baowolf Yups it is on an asphalt bike path for the most part. Remember to buy swim socks early if you want your feet to not be numb for 70miles into the bike (they will be sold out at the race venue) and have head laps that clip onto your hat as the stretchy band headlamp around your head will give you a headache, Lastly remember that you can not leave anything in your special needs bike or run bag. Anything in there you need to take or they will throw it out for fear or bears raiding the area.
Hey Steve, I am considering signing up for IMLT... it looks like the bike course has been watered down from last year. From 8,000ft to 6,700ft climbing? It appears that they took one of the steep hills out. Could you please speak to how this would improve the bike portion? How would you compare this new course to this year's CdA? Thanks!

2014-07-04 7:05 PM
in reply to: odanelli

User image

Canyon, Texas
Thankfully, I live two hours from Truckee; I'll be heading up there next weekend to scout everything out and dip my toes in it. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it out there every other weekend. I was originally registered for LT but the bike course ended up scaring the hell out of me, so I transferred to CdA. But since the bike is now a little more reasonable, I think I'm back in. I consistently train 112mi with 6,200ft gains (GPS) in the Yosemite foothills under 7:40. I'll have to check out the training camp out there! Do you have a link for it?
2014-07-06 3:43 AM

User image

Canyon, Texas
I came across this gpx file of the new bike course from the IMTL facebook page:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/464188212
2014-07-06 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I'll be using my roadbike. Not exactly a climber but better on the steep grades than my tri bike.

Any opinions on chainring sets? I think I have to downgrade from my 53-38.
2014-07-07 11:10 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Canyon, Texas
Originally posted by FranzZemen

I'll be using my roadbike. Not exactly a climber but better on the steep grades than my tri bike.

Any opinions on chainring sets? I think I have to downgrade from my 53-38.

I just bought an Ultegra 6800 group set for the roadie, mostly for this course... 50-34t/ 11-32t. I think the second shot at Brockway would hurt me with the 11-28 that I had.
2014-07-11 12:45 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by tlancer23 I came across this gpx file of the new bike course from the IMTL facebook page: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/464188212

Yeah and as you can see, the gps there shows more elevation than what they're advertising, even on the new course.

It was the same thing in 2013... I think they were saying 6000 feet of elevation but most people were recording 8000 on their garmins.  I wouldn't count on the revised course feeling much easier.

2014-07-17 1:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains

Rode on the course today.

The section in Northstar is not too bad.  It is not easy, but is "easier" than Martis Camp.

I rode it on 53/39 with 12-27.  Will likley use 11-28 for race day

Just like last year, I think the big thing is to not underestimate this section, and to not go too hard while in there.

From the yellow sign just past the airfield to the turn on Northstar Drive is 1.2 miles at 4% grade.

The first turn onto Northstar to the roundabout averages at 6% with a max of 8%. 

The turn onto Big Springs is also at about 8%.   The climb itself to the right hand turn onto Currant is not too long, but the 6-8% grind will take the energy out of the legs if you do not spin it out.  The left onto Currant is actually the back entrance to the parking lot.  Again, about 8% to the top, and then a screaming descent through the rest of the lot with a few turns back to the village.  The ride in the village is kinda funny, and we will have our own Paris Roubaix on some cobbles.  We come out and then scream downhill again back to the roundabout.  The rt hand turn onto Ridgeline Drive has a real short climb to the Uturn at Highlands, and then a screaming descent back out to the highway to begin the climb up Brockway.

The Brockway climb measure at 3 miles from the turn.  I used the rock piles on the rt side to gauge where I am from the summit.  There are 6.  Of course the last 2 have some short sections of 10%.  Another good bench mark from where you are is the passing lane.  When you see the sign for the start of the passing lane, you have about .6 to the summit.

2014-07-17 12:05 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Originally posted by odanelli

Rode on the course today.

The section in Northstar is not too bad.  It is not easy, but is "easier" than Martis Camp.

I rode it on 53/39 with 12-27.  Will likley use 11-28 for race day

Just like last year, I think the big thing is to not underestimate this section, and to not go too hard while in there.

From the yellow sign just past the airfield to the turn on Northstar Drive is 1.2 miles at 4% grade.

The first turn onto Northstar to the roundabout averages at 6% with a max of 8%. 

The turn onto Big Springs is also at about 8%.   The climb itself to the right hand turn onto Currant is not too long, but the 6-8% grind will take the energy out of the legs if you do not spin it out.  The left onto Currant is actually the back entrance to the parking lot.  Again, about 8% to the top, and then a screaming descent through the rest of the lot with a few turns back to the village.  The ride in the village is kinda funny, and we will have our own Paris Roubaix on some cobbles.  We come out and then scream downhill again back to the roundabout.  The rt hand turn onto Ridgeline Drive has a real short climb to the Uturn at Highlands, and then a screaming descent back out to the highway to begin the climb up Brockway.

The Brockway climb measure at 3 miles from the turn.  I used the rock piles on the rt side to gauge where I am from the summit.  There are 6.  Of course the last 2 have some short sections of 10%.  Another good bench mark from where you are is the passing lane.  When you see the sign for the start of the passing lane, you have about .6 to the summit.

Thanks for details, sounds like fun !
2014-07-17 4:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I think over 112 there are like 20 climbs that will put you into the granny gear for anywhere from .5 to 4.5 miles. So having only 19 of such climbs will be better.... but I am sure it will be an arse kicking none the less on the bike. I will check out the new route when I get a chance, but the linc above looks to be mostly the same. It is the back to back hills in the resort area that kick your but and then dump you out onto the 4.5 mile climb that does it. The rest of the course is nice, but that 15 ish mile section each lap will smoke us sucky bikers. One thing to keep in mind is that the elevation does effect you. Even though I train at 4500 feet, I had to focus on keeping my heart rate and respiration rate down all day.

I did CDA just over 2 weeks ago and this is my first year doing 2 IMs, so not sure what shape I will be in by race day. My long bike ride last week was 40 miles and I can now jog around 5 miles continuous without walking... yay. I got to do CDA with a back spasm on muscle relaxants and strong winds 1-2 foot waves on the lake at 5 am. I really liked the swim socks, feet were nice and warm for the bike, do wear them at Tahoe, water will be 55F ish give or take a few F.

The run course is not bad. This race is all about surviving the bike. (Well and seeing the swim bouys through the fog). There is no way that course even with correction is less than 7000 feet of elevation gain. Just the outside loop without the resort must be 4000-5000 ish.

I used 34/54 and 12/34 for Tahoe. I saw others struggle a lot with your standard config in a non compact (agers not the big guys). I think those are the cog numbers.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-07-17 4:37 PM
2014-07-17 10:21 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

Master
, California
Yeah I did the race on a standard - 53/39 and 12/27. First lap was ok but could tell I was grinding too much. 2nd lap and the "run" sucked. I'd shell out for a compact crankset in a heartbeat if I did it again. And I'm pretty light and normally a good climber.
2014-07-28 7:15 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ugg taking longer to recover from CDA than I thought it would and am visiting family 5000 feet higher than where I was 2 days ago. Workout kicked my butt today.

2014-08-02 11:10 PM

User image

Canyon, Texas
I just took two laps on the bike today under 6hrs and the splits were pretty even. My first visit last month was epic fail, I took the hills aggressively with 11-28t and ended up walking .5mi up Brockway. I'm very happy with today's result... I upgraded to Compact 11-32t and lowered my cadence on the hills. Looks like I will start working on grinding out of the saddle; it was strong on the first lap and fell apart on the second.
2014-08-06 2:41 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nice improvement. How far up were you able to get in the locked community area of the ride? I found that the hardest part aside from "the big hill."
2014-08-06 8:41 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nevermind I hadn't looked closely enough at the new course. I will have to check out the new part. It looks like we have 1 hilll removed that was a significant climb on each loop.
2014-08-06 11:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains

I'll be back out there the week of the 17th for a week long training camp and capping it off with the Olympic Tahoe Tri on the 24th before heading back to Denver.

TLancer's find on maymyride was dead on with exception of the Y Bypass in Tahoe City.  This little bypass adds a really short 11% grade to get above the baseball field, and then a pretty good downhill back to 89.

I recently got a new GOPRO just after Vineman.  I plan on taping the new section and posting on youtube when I get back.

Hope everyone's training is going well.  Keeping my fingers crossed that Boulder can keep their recent title of "hardest tri"(27% DNF-HOT!) and we can get that great weather that was there the Wednesday before the race last year.

Edited by odanelli 2014-08-06 11:27 PM
2014-08-07 8:34 AM

New user
Bonney Lake
For those who have done the bike ride. I know the up hills are going to be tough, but how are the down hills. Is this a technical down hill course. I have done CDA and Canada, any advice on the comparison would be great. Thanks and happy training.

2014-08-07 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains

Originally posted by edawno For those who have done the bike ride. I know the up hills are going to be tough, but how are the down hills. Is this a technical down hill course. I have done CDA and Canada, any advice on the comparison would be great. Thanks and happy training.

I did the original Canda in 2012.  From what I remember, the descents in Tahoe are similair, straight, not a lot of turns.  Nothing sketchy like the old CDA course

Nothing really technical on any of the downhills.  A large portion of the ride from Dollar Bill Hill, to Squaw, and then to Truckee is mostly a descent with the exception of a few small rollers.  Straight, no turns. 

There is a fast left hand turn coming out of the neighborhood in Truckee, but nothing technical.  The descent down 267 after the roundabout is also straight.  Tends to get a bit windy on the bridge, but other than that, dead straight into a good climb before the airport.

I felt like  the downhill section of the  parking lot section on Currant coming down to the village has a few tight switchbacks, but given the amount of volume that it may have, I doubt there will be a way to open it up through there.

The descent down Brockway is a 3 mile straight screamer at 4-7%  Riding by myself, hit 51mph.  There are a few gradual bends in the road as you reach King's Beach again, but nothing sharp.  The reality on race day is, that it will be unlikely you will totally open it up on Brockway as there will be lots of brake grabbing across the roadway from people that are a bit leery of going super fast.  Even if you were comfortable of doing 40+, you may not be able to just from congestion, unless you are way in the front or way in the back.

Edited by odanelli 2014-08-07 12:05 PM
2014-08-07 12:45 PM

User image

All, good information! thank you!. I am trying to make it out there one of these days soon, how is traffic on the weekends for a training ride?

Now i just have to fix my Foot (plantar fasciitis)

thanks
2014-08-08 12:33 AM
in reply to: MrSolis

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Agree, old course had only a couple tight corners in the gated community area. Not sure about the new section. I am not comfortable above say 45 mph going down towards the lake with the potential of a strong gust coming up the hill from your right.
2014-08-08 8:29 AM

New user
Bonney Lake
Great thanks for the info. Sounds like it will be a good ride. Happy training!!
2014-08-25 11:02 AM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains

ATHLETE GUIDE IS UP

Just finished up a solid week of training in Tahoe in and around the course.

Water temp was great at about 65.  Water levels are super low.  About 5 feet lower than normal.  A good 500-800 yard walk through the shallows to where we can actually swim.  Will be interesting to see how WTC handles this part of the logistics.  

Bike course is good to go.

Run course is also good to go.  

Question for those that did it last year---how many of you were able to, or tried to do the big hill heading back towards Squaw?  It occurs to me that it was a monster on it's own let alone after having done the back, and doing that climb up twice---whew--that's a toughy.

2014-08-25 6:15 PM

User image

ATHLETE GUIDE IS UP

Water temp was great at about 65.  Water levels are super low.  About 5 feet lower than normal.  A good 500-800 yard walk through the shallows to where we can actually swim.  Will be interesting to see how WTC handles this part of the logistics.  

Question for those that did it last year---how many of you were able to, or tried to do the big hill heading back towards Squaw?  It occurs to me that it was a monster on it's own let alone after having done the back, and doing that climb up twice---whew--that's a toughy.

Not sure which hill you are asking about.

I was out there training this weekend as well. i basically just rode the main highway routes ( highways 28, 89 and 267 ) without the detours where they added more miles and climbing. I rode at a much higher intensity than IM race pace and I thought the big hill in HWY267 was hard, specially in the second loop. I actually thought it would be much harder but it is still hard. the rest of the course was a little easier that I expected since the elevation graph looks very difficult. I am Clydesdale who is not particularly good at climbing but I think i am going to be Ok.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5748150
2014-08-25 10:49 PM
in reply to: MrSolis

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains
Speaking about the big bike path hill leaving/returning from Squaw that goes behind park on the run course?Good job on coming away feeling good about the hills.
Originally posted by MrSolis

ATHLETE GUIDE IS UP

Not sure which hill you are asking about. I was out there training this weekend as well. i basically just rode the main highway routes ( highways 28, 89 and 267 ) without the detours where they added more miles and climbing. I rode at a much higher intensity than IM race pace and I thought the big hill in HWY267 was hard, specially in the second loop. I actually thought it would be much harder but it is still hard. the rest of the course was a little easier that I expected since the elevation graph looks very difficult. I am Clydesdale who is not particularly good at climbing but I think i am going to be Ok. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5748150
2014-08-30 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains

BIB #''s are posted!

2014-08-31 1:14 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya although the big hill will kick your butt, it is the 16 +/- shorter climbs that add up and trash your legs, the 2nd lap of the big hill just sets you up for a really sucky ride back through the remaining 3 ish climbs.

I did 2 loops today including the side hills and ya it kicked my butt. Sigh. Oh well, maybe it will be less suckage after taper.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by ernestov
Views: 33861 Posts: 135

2014-02-03 11:08 PM Baowolf

Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193

Started by Fred D
Views: 378044 Posts: 4809

2010-09-14 1:51 PM TankBoy

Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jcbolton
Views: 8928 Posts: 59

2009-06-26 4:09 PM jldicarlo

Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by devouahy
Views: 11259 Posts: 55

2009-08-19 12:47 PM halfironmike

Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20

Started by tasr
Views: 45597 Posts: 481

2009-08-05 6:13 PM PennState
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: