Veep Races LLC
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 21m 1s
Overall Rank = 225/400
Age Group = F 50-59
Age Group Rank = 9/16
Pre-race routine:

Sick with the flu on Monday and Tuesday before the race. Woke up Wednesday with enough energy to do a few slow miles on the treadmill then traveled to Ohio where we only did some walking around and drove back Friday afternoon. Got a decent night's rest and woke up hungry so ate bagel with nutella, some yogurt and a banana. Had lost about 4 pounds due to being sick but I knew I was sufficiently hydrated since I'd been drinking tons of water. Drove to race site with about an hour to spare before race start. Website said 50K started at 8:00 but there was a sign at the gear tent that said it didn't start until 8:15. Race was delayed so we didn't take off until closer to 8:30. I met BT's JungleJenn (nice lady with a sweet smile) and a couple of her Marathon Maniacs while we were waiting in the tent. Chatted with other folks. Note to self - park in the Dock Lake parking lot in the future as that worked out well with a pit toilet right there. The lines to the port-o-pots were crazy long by the start..
Event warmup:

Nada - stayed warm in the tent (temps were below freezing at the start of the race but warmed to mid 40s by afternoon)
Run
  • 6h 21m 1s
  • 31.1 miles
  • 12m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out at the back of the pack and just took it easy because I wasn't sure how my body would handle the distance. Felt amazingly great the first loop - no issues whatsoever. Drank well, ate well, felt strong. Most miles were in the 10 min-11 min range and that'd not happened on the trails before so I was dreaming of a PR. The trail conditions were better than expected. This race is notorious for the awful mud and/or water but there was none of that the first loop. The second loop became a bit slip/slidey as the weather warmed into the 40s and the snow melted which made some muddy spots. Had to slow down a bit. I realized after the first aid station that I was getting really tired and low on energy. I know I was eating and drinking enough so I can only attribute that to dealing with the sickness earlier in the week. Started walking more but it was a beautiful sunny day so I didn't get into the dark place that I've gotten at other 50Ks. Just kept going forward. The arthritis/bunion in my right toe started to burn terribly. This happens about every long run - have tried cooling gel but that hasn't helped. I sat down at two different places and removed my sock and shoe and put snow on it for awhile which relieved the burning and allowed me to start running again. At one point I lost focus and went sprawling on my side in the mud - darn! Luckily didn't hurt anything. As slow as I was going I still knew I should get a PR which made me happy. I finished the last miles relatively strong setting a PR by exactly 50 minutes. (Don't be too impressed - most folks PR'd due to the best trail conditions in the last few years). First loop time - 2:48:07, Second loop time - 3:32:53. Not a great race execution - ugly, in fact, but it got done.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I wish I'd not gotten sick beforehand but the day gave me what it gave me. I was thankful for the warmer weather and the trail conditions and running with new friends and old.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in a corner of the tent nursing hot soup and a hot chocolate. Used the changing tent to get into warm, dry clothes which felt great. Watched the results scroll through on a screen then took off for home where I spent some wonderful time in the hot tub. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weakened body due to sickness, arthritis burning on my toe; muddy and slippery footing during the second loop.

Event comments:

Although this is a highly popular race I find it to be unorganized. Packet pickup was Friday night or only half an hour before race start on Saturday which created long lines for pickup and insane lines for the port-o-pots which resulted in a delayed start. This has happened at each of the previous 3 years that I've done the event and I find it stupid that they don't make a change. It seems it's just accepted that they'll not start on time. The manned aid stations are wonderful - great volunteers and good food selection although the only fruit they had this year was bananas. I was thankful I'd brought my own oranges as I crave them on long runs. One A/S had pickles which I tried and actually really liked - the crunch and saltiness. Have to remember that for the future. The unmanned A/S ran out of water after the first loop which has also always been the case and they never check it. Otherwise, an overall average race at a beautiful state park but they're the only race in this area at this time of year so it'll always be well-attended.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-10-11 12:00 AM
Running
06:21:01 | 31.1 miles | 12m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 225/400
Performance: Average
Course: A 15.5ish mile loop that you run twice which includes wide track, single track and road. Pretty clear trail with not too many roots or rocks to worry about. There are 3 manned aid stations and 1 unmanned water stop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-01-04 11:18 AM

User image

Subject: The HUFF 50K Trail Run

2014-01-04 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4924001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: RE: The HUFF 50K Trail Run

Way to fight off sickness earlier in the week and complete the HUFF!

2014-01-04 3:57 PM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Bronze member

I was wondering if you were going to write up a race report . Happy to read you had a PR and were able to enjoy the park. Good thinking with snow on the bunion pain!

Congratulations!

2014-01-06 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4924001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Wow way to get it done, I can't imagine being that sick before an ultra endurance event and able to do as well as you did. Great job hanging in there and showing true grit. Hope you get recovered and look forward to racing with you sometime in 2014.
2014-01-08 10:49 AM
in reply to: rpm1418

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Brenda, thanks for posting. Congrats on the PR!!!!!!!!!!! Hope your foot gets better. GREAT job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The HUFF 50K Trail Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The HUFF 50K Trail Run

Started by amyleigh
Views: 1606 Posts: 4

2011-12-31 8:22 AM left.right.repeat

The HUFF 50K Trail Run

Started by Alix
Views: 994 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 8:23 PM Alix

The HUFF 50K Trail Run (Relay)

Started by DirkP
Views: 2470 Posts: 5

2011-12-18 6:01 PM bswcpa

The HUFF 50K Trail Run (Fun Run)

Started by jefjejon70
Views: 1704 Posts: 5

2008-12-30 8:03 PM Afletcher

The HUFF 50K Trail Run

Started by jefjejon70
Views: 1101 Posts: 1

2007-12-30 6:21 PM jefjejon70
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix
date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.