General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timberman half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-04 2:02 PM

User image

Subject: Timberman half Ironman
Hi all in CT! I'm training and working towards Timberman HIM in August and wondering if anyone else local planning to as well.

2014-01-05 3:46 PM
in reply to: KTLiz

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Subject: RE: Timberman half Ironman
Yes I am!! My goal this upcoming season will be to do a few hilly HIM's this season. Im starting with Quassy in June and Timberman in Aug and maybe another in September.
My Goal for 2015 is Lake Placid.
2014-01-06 1:18 PM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

New user
Hamden, CT
That's what i did last year - started with Quassy (and got destroyed by it) and ended with Timberman 1/2. I will be there again this year- i love that race. I didn't think that one was hilly though.....but then again, we all train in CT so flat(ter) to us is hilly to others.
I rode the Placid bike course and it had it's share of hills - especially the 3 in a row towards the end of the loops. I can't imagine what I would feel like after doing that loop 2x, with the swim and run. Good luck :-)
If you want a challenge in September, try SavageMan. Or HITS Hunter. I did that one as a relay last year. Hilly bike and run, part of the run is on trail.
2014-01-06 8:07 PM
in reply to: LindaElizabeth

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Yep . I was really thinking of doing Hunter Mountain in Sept. Definitely up for a challenge!!
2014-01-09 12:10 PM

User image

I looked at Quassy but doesn't fit in my schedule, so Timberman it is. This will be my first I'm very excited! The course maps look pretty hilly but like you said there's no shortage of them here. Happy Training everyone!
2014-01-10 12:45 PM

User image

New user
I'm doing it, I think

2014-01-13 8:39 AM
in reply to: Tracker09

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
Depending on type of roads you train on - Timberman can go either way. I live in NW CT and basically face some good climbs in any direction just to get out of town.

I loved the Timberman course - didn't not consider it hilly (especially after something like Quassy!)

I'd try to fit the Quassy Oly in your schedule - great climbing in that and just like the HIM - once you do Quassy everything else seems really simple!!

If you like Timberman - I suggest IM Tremblant - very similar course (except for the 5 miles up the side of a hill towards the end)
2014-01-22 9:47 AM
in reply to: skitri

User image

Thanks for the suggestions I will def consider cuz I need to see about some smaller ones before Timberman for the experience if nothing else...
2014-01-22 9:52 AM

User image

Originally posted by LindaElizabeth

That's what i did last year - started with Quassy (and got destroyed by it) and ended with Timberman 1/2. I will be there again this year- i love that race. I didn't think that one was hilly though.....but then again, we all train in CT so flat(ter) to us is hilly to others.
I rode the Placid bike course and it had it's share of hills - especially the 3 in a row towards the end of the loops. I can't imagine what I would feel like after doing that loop 2x, with the swim and run. Good luck :-)
If you want a challenge in September, try SavageMan. Or HITS Hunter. I did that one as a relay last year. Hilly bike and run, part of the run is on trail.

That's a good sign if youa re going back for round two! I'm very excited for it and am totally digging all the learning I realized comes along with this.
I think we live a town or 2 away from each other (Meriden)... not sure of your times/paces, but if you are ever looking for company esp as it warms up let me know
2014-01-28 1:43 PM

Ellington, Connecticut
I'm signed up end super excited! This will be my first 70.3 after doing a few years of sprints and an olympic last year, so we'll see how it goes! I've heard Timberman is a great race and the community support is awesome, so I'm looking forward to that.

As for the bike course, the total elevation gain is 2021' over 56miles, so that doesn't sound too bad (of course I'm saying this as I sit at my desk!).
2014-01-29 9:20 AM
in reply to: skitri

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by skitri

Depending on type of roads you train on - Timberman can go either way. I live in NW CT and basically face some good climbs in any direction just to get out of town.

I loved the Timberman course - didn't not consider it hilly (especially after something like Quassy!)

I'd try to fit the Quassy Oly in your schedule - great climbing in that and just like the HIM - once you do Quassy everything else seems really simple!!

If you like Timberman - I suggest IM Tremblant - very similar course (except for the 5 miles up the side of a hill towards the end)

Agree. Timberman will feel easy after Quassy. The bike is about 15 minutes slower at Quassy. The run also has a couple of biting hills in it. Overall, Timberman is a much much faster course....weather held constant.

2014-01-29 6:30 PM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
I heard parking and lodging are a pain in the rear at this event. Anyone have any decent lodging /parking advice?
2014-01-29 7:02 PM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

New user
Hamden, CT
Originally posted by CarlG

I heard parking and lodging are a pain in the rear at this event. Anyone have any decent lodging /parking advice?

parking, yes. they try to cram as many cars into the ella coya (sp?) state park lots, and then I have no idea where you park after that....I want to say they bussed in from somewhere, but I may be thinking of Placid. There's only one road into the park and everyone is on it, so expect a bit of a wait in the morning.
I found no issues with lodging. I stayed at a hotel around the bike turn around so I was a decent amount of miles away. However, I do suggest that you do some online research and call local motels, etc. The area around the race has a lot of mom & pop and older motels and B&Bs, so they won't be listed on places like hotels.com.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timberman half Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Patriot HIM or Timberman HIM?

Started by thirdsacharm
Views: 2019 Posts: 13

2009-08-11 10:03 PM thirdsacharm

300 slots left for Timberman Ironman 70.3

Started by KEJ
Views: 912 Posts: 1

2008-11-06 9:33 AM KEJ

Timberman

Started by BaitBoy
Views: 1322 Posts: 7

2007-11-24 3:01 PM rm2949

Anyone volunteering at the Timberman?

Started by chrisinct
Views: 1101 Posts: 6

2007-08-09 12:09 AM max

Timberman Vs. Firm Man

Started by felloffmybike
Views: 1184 Posts: 20

2006-08-11 1:25 AM CptnJackSparrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : August 31, 2004
GILFORD, New Hampshire (August 23, 2004) – After thunderous, heavy rains on Saturday challenged sprint triathletes to middle-distance-like efforts, Sunday’s middle-distance Timberman Triathlon (1.9 km

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.