General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommend some rollers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-04 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: Recommend some rollers?
I'm in the market for some rollers. Already have a fluid trainer and like it, but the rollers would stay at an alternate site for training on the road bike. Any suggestions for a sturdy unit that gives a road-feel? Thinks

2014-01-04 4:30 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Subject: RE: Recommend some rollers?
Originally posted by bdenehy

I'm in the market for some rollers. Already have a fluid trainer and like it, but the rollers would stay at an alternate site for training on the road bike. Any suggestions for a sturdy unit that gives a road-feel? Thinks

Kreitler 3"

If you find that too easy (Doubt it) you can get one or two flywheels and you can also get a killer headwind attachment.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/kreitler-trainers-rollers
2014-01-04 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4924097

Malvern, PA
If you are on a budget, try the Performance house brand "Travel Trac" rollers. I use them and they are fine. When on sale, only slightly more than 100 bucks.

Also consider trolling craigslist. Some people buy rollers and are not patient enough to use them.
2014-02-06 12:12 PM
in reply to: datlas

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Thanks for the tips. I did end up picking up the Kreitler Kompact 3" rollers. They are great and after a few rides, I can at least stay upright for the most part. I do have a problem with drinking. I'm a big fan of hydration and find I have to stop every 10 minutes to have some water. Have you roller users gotten to the point where you can reach down to a bottle cage, take a drink and return without ending up in a crumpled heap on the floor? I'm trying to gauge if I should keep working on this, wear a camelback, or just take a break every 10 min (which seems wasteful for someone training to go long).

Thanks,
2014-02-06 3:01 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

I can do pretty much anything on rollers that I can do outside.

It takes a while to get to that point, though. Start with pulling the bottle out then putting it back in. They bring it up and put it back in, etc.

I stop about every 30 minutes and walk around. I figure stop lights and stop signs work like that.

2014-02-06 5:08 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by DanielG I can do pretty much anything on rollers that I can do outside. It takes a while to get to that point, though. Start with pulling the bottle out then putting it back in. They bring it up and put it back in, etc. I stop about every 30 minutes and walk around. I figure stop lights and stop signs work like that.

^^^THIS^^^^

I can do about everything except sprints.  Can't/WON'T do sprints on rollers.  lol

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommend some rollers? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Replacement rollers for Cycleops bike rollers?

Started by AHare
Views: 1190 Posts: 2

2011-10-12 6:53 PM axteraa

Triathlons you recommend......

Started by Ozcanuk
Views: 524 Posts: 1

2004-09-29 10:30 AM Ozcanuk

Can anyone recommend a good bike trainer?

Started by joscon
Views: 851 Posts: 3

2004-09-26 10:20 AM TriMom217

Recommended Bike Trainers??

Started by charles81
Views: 681 Posts: 2

2004-09-21 12:25 PM Browe79

Guys...Do you really recommend shaving my legs???

Started by Cavu9
Views: 1807 Posts: 25

2004-06-29 4:29 AM ginger ninja
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2012
author : PosiChiro.com
comments : 0
Dr. Kathy Coutinho’s presentation will discuss how to attain ultimate form and balance to maximize your body’s athletic function, includes many techniques for injury prevention.

date : February 29, 2012
comments : 1
What would the uninitiated make of all of our gear?
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : March 19, 2007
author : Team BT
Ab Roller abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.