General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Push ups Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-04 9:59 PM

Park Ridge
Subject: Push ups
Push ups, who does them and how many do you do, do they really help your core? What is the best routine to get the most out of them? Thanks.

2014-01-06 4:31 PM
in reply to: pumpkin31

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Push ups
There is a pushup challenge app. Gets you to 100 pushups. It is hard though. Might be a good place to start.
2014-01-07 5:53 PM
in reply to: pumpkin31

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I have a series of 6-9 different pushups that I'll do when not being lazy, I like variety:

1. Normal medium width pushup
  2. Staggered pushup left hand forward, right hand back, both one hand distance
  3. Staggered repeated with right hand forward, left hand back
  4. Decline pushup with feet raised (like on a chair/bench)
  5. Wide width pushup (fingers are pointed outward)
  6. Diamond pushup (hands together under your chest forming a diamond with your thumbs and index fingers)
  7. Clapping pushup (usually only do this after I've been doing pushups for a while and not the last set!)
  8. Judo pushup (killer!) http://www.weighttraining.com/exercises/judo-push-up, do these first!
  9. Reverse Pushup http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201208/pushup-blasts-your-core 

2014-01-08 12:15 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Donto

I have a series of 6-9 different pushups that I'll do when not being lazy, I like variety:

6. Diamond pushup (hands together under your chest forming a diamond with your thumbs and index fingers)
  7. Clapping pushup (usually only do this after I've been doing pushups for a while and not the last set!)
  8. Judo pushup (killer!) http://www.weighttraining.com/exercises/judo-push-up, do these first!
  9. Reverse Pushup http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201208/pushup-blasts-your-core 

+1 for this. I also like military pushups where you don't let your elbows flare out but instead stay parallel to your legs. It really accentuates your should flexibility. At the bottom you should be in the same position as a yoga vinyasa (if you're into that sort of thing)

If you've got those furniture sliders I like to rest on my knees and do a pushup, your arms will slide out like you're doing a fly.

Quality is always better with quantity with pushups but I like to incorporate and do maximum rep sets (same with pullups) Cheers,
2014-01-09 2:47 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Good list.  I love doing push ups and have done them just about every day since I was in 8th grade. I usually do 2 x 25 every morning before I take my shower.and get dressed for work. 

We had to do fingertip push ups in wrestling practice in school and I've done them that way ever since; feel like I'm cheating if I don't. 

Mark

2014-01-09 3:07 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Good list.  I love doing push ups and have done them just about every day since I was in 8th grade. I usually do 2 x 25 every morning before I take my shower.and get dressed for work. 

We had to do fingertip push ups in wrestling practice in school and I've done them that way ever since; feel like I'm cheating if I don't. 

Mark

Nice, haven't done those in a long time.  I started taking martial arts when I was in 5th grade for about 10 years and pushups and many different types were part of the workouts.

I guess while we're at it we should add Rocky's favorite 1 arm PU!

2014-01-09 3:49 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Try one arm one leg

OP, they absolutely get your core. I like to do push ups (I do military style up, but will do some one legged for a little additional core work) after my runs as part of a circuit with walking lunges, a couple of yoga balance exercises and crunches. The first set I'll max out, just to see how many I can do that day, but 20s after that. In 15 minutes, I can get through 3-4 sets if everything. It's a nice way to cool down and get a little strength in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Push ups Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Benefits of push-ups and dips

Started by aquariusmediaaseo
Views: 2869 Posts: 4

2011-11-21 8:40 AM uhcoog

Push Press?

Started by ricco1
Views: 1656 Posts: 5

2010-09-05 8:49 PM ricco1

Deadlifts/Squats and Push/Pull

Started by Kimokeo
Views: 9522 Posts: 14

2010-02-11 11:02 AM ScoopJackson

One Armed push ups

Started by SuzanneS
Views: 2626 Posts: 23

2008-01-01 12:02 PM SuzanneS

Women can you do pull ups? Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by KathyG
Views: 24149 Posts: 132

2010-07-23 3:41 PM lil_fish
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : June 26, 2006
Push-Up - Feet Elevated strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Push-Up - Narrow strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Push-Up - Wide strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Push-Up - Knees Bent strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Push-Up strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Push-Up - Flat Bench strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.