General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did I tear my calf muscle? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-07 6:51 AM

User image

Expert
Montana
Subject: Did I tear my calf muscle?
We have been on vacation. Getting off the plane after 18 hours of bus/plane travel, I could feel sharp pain in my left calf. I thought it might just be soreness from being confined for so long, but four days later I am still hurting.

This pain is keeping me awake at night, and gets worse if I am inactive. It starts at an apparent attachment point on the medial side behind my knee, and extends down about 5". (I am tall) Ibuprofen helps, and after exercise it seems better.

My questions then:

Could I have done this snorkeling? (last Wednesday) We had really big fins, and a few times I gave a little extra effort to flip them so I could get around faster. If anything I would have suspected this could cause sore muscles, but not a tear.

Apart from the obvious RICE, what should I be doing?

Would stretching the muscle just add injury to injury?

Thanks!

Edited by Shoeless 2014-01-07 6:52 AM

2014-01-07 7:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Did I tear my calf muscle?
Might be a good idea to check with a doctor to make sure it's not a blood clot, given the length of your trip. You'd probably have other symptoms like a lot of swelling, cold foot on that side, etc. Otherwise, yes, possible it's a minor tear. You could have stressed it with the fins or your calves may have simply tightened up over the hours of travel and you may have moved too suddenly or in the wrong direction when you got up. People tend to get dehydrated on long flights and this can increase the likelihood of cramps and spasms as well. I've done this several times (mostly with hamstrings, once with both calves at the same time) and now for this reason I try to avoid running the day before or after a long flight. Swimming, or a walk or easy bike ride, seems to work a lit better to get the kinks out.

Not a doctor, but the usual RICE generally works for me. Also Advil if needed, compression tights/socks, doing whatever activity gets the blood moving without further stressing the muscle. If you can find a good massage therapist, that might help. Otherwise you could try self-massage or a foam roller or similar. Gentle stretching is probably okay but shouldn't go to the point of pain, and only when your muscles are already warmed up after activity. If even a gentle stretch hurts, I'd wait until it doesn't.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-01-07 7:03 AM
2014-01-07 8:58 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I shredded my gastrocnemius a few years ago (that big calf muscle)  Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight to a sports med clinic for evaluation and get it looked at.  That injury cost me over 10 months in PT.

2014-01-07 4:30 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Montana
Thank you so much for the input. Had an ultrasound. I have a large clot in the gastrocnemius vein. It is not a threat. It will just be very sore for a while.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did I tear my calf muscle? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Possible torn calf muscle?

Started by masonea
Views: 829 Posts: 3

2008-05-19 12:58 PM masonea

Small muscle tear hamstring

Started by paul walker
Views: 1158 Posts: 4

2007-02-19 11:18 AM berlinsd

Anyone ever suffered a torn calf?

Started by Daugela
Views: 1537 Posts: 12

2006-12-26 8:54 AM Ridgelake

Calf muscle pulled/torn?

Started by KendallF
Views: 781 Posts: 3

2006-01-20 10:21 PM Vaiza

DNF - Torn Calf Muscle

Started by matkins98
Views: 2591 Posts: 15

2005-09-22 10:53 AM DRM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 8, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
A few weeks ago I tore the MCL and ACL in my right knee and the LCL in my left knee in an accident. Can I returned to triathlon? What would that entail?

date : January 17, 2012
comments : 0
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.
date : November 16, 2010
Calf injuries can occur from a sudden overload or from repetitive microtrauma. If not treated appropriately and promptly, an acute injury can lead to chronic pain.

date : August 22, 2009
I'm experiencing tightness and pain in my calf muscles including my left achilles tendon. The tendons seem to really stiffen when sitting or sleeping. I'm not doing anything new.
date : May 8, 2007
Do you have any ideas about why my body does not fully heal these many muscle injuries and is having an especially difficult time healing my calf?

date : July 29, 2006
On the first rep I tore my soleus muscle. Am I ok to swim? How long should I avoid running? Will using an elliptical trainer be ok?
date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : April 9, 2005
If I start back training too soon will I cause more damage or will I just stop the healing process? How long should it take for the muscle to heal completely?