General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 910xt or Ambit 2??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-07 9:38 AM

Subject: 910xt or Ambit 2???
Hello Everyone,

I can not decide which watch is better between the Garmin Forerunner 910XT ot the Suunto Ambit 2.... I need help.

I love the race against virtual racers or your old times, the step-counter feature, the vibration allert, the run/walk feature and the workout cotumization features the 910xt has, but at the same time I like the tracking and trekking features, the display, the menu setup, the day-by-day option and the design of the Ambit 2...... ahhhhhhhh I'm going crazy!!!

I read so many reviews about both watches and I still can not decide. What makes me a bit skeptical about the Garmin is the incredible number of complains about costumer service and their inability to solve problems, the bugs a lot of people talk about, the inhability of displaying maps or trails, and the absence of a simple watch function for a everyday use outside the workout sections. All these things can be done on the Suunto, but the Suunto is missing the step-counter feature, the vibration allert, the run/walk feature, the workout cotumization features, and the possibility of running against your best time or a set time.

All these features and aspects are important to me just as much as all the features both watches have in common.

Please help.

Thank you so much in advance.

V/R,

Marco Rosa

Edited by pilotaids 2014-01-07 9:41 AM

2014-01-07 1:04 PM
in reply to: pilotaids

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: 910xt or Ambit 2???

It sounds like you already know the pros and cons of each watch pretty well.  I've been a garmin guy, but ended up grabbing an Ambit2S a few weeks ago.  Like you've indicated, they each have their own features.

I have no problem living without a vibration alert.  The Ambit2 does have a basic interval training feature (haven't used it tho') but certainly, the custom workout creator is a great feature of the garmin.  it's so rare that I ever do that kind of training tho so I don't miss it.  (Plus, I still have my 405 for track days).

Some things that I like about the Ambit (YMMV)

- It's a watch.  i.e. you can wear it as a watch.  it looks like a watch and acts like a watch.

- Some new and interesting HR based training stress metrics (EPOC, PTE and Recovery Time).  Pretty cool. You can lay in your specific and tested HR zones and athletic levels so that it calculates your training stress off of these.  There is some good white paper backup for these metrics as well- still learning.

- the Movescount web site- I think is better than Garmin's.  yes, you can export .gpx files out of it..

- navigation routes and trackback function.  works well and you can choose to add navigation to any sport.  Easy to create routes and send them to the watch. it has reliably allowed me to stay on course through difficult trails.  Oh, you can not only retrace the steps you just took, but you can select any route previously run that's in your logbook, and re-trace those steps as well.  Unfortunately- not with a virtual racer or pacer tho'.  Seems this could be in a possible firmware update tho?

- selection of customized sports.  Via the web site, you can set up a selection of screens and parameters and designate that selection for individual sports.  So, it's not just a 'swim bike run' watch.  You might want to go skiing and have it display speed, vertical and number of runs- for instance, and you can label that sport 'skiing'.  I recently set up one called 'sleeping' that just records my HR while sleeping.  Granted, you can program in screens on your 910 to do these things as well- but, this way you can have them all set up in advance.

-ability to extend battery life in GPS mode by choosing 1s, 5s or 60s GPS recording.

- swim mode.  I find it works better than the 910xt's.  When I swam with the 910 it often seemed to show I was on the wrong lap, and then after I was done with the set, it 'caught up'.  The Ambit has been dead on every time, and after you train it, it even accurately tells you what stroke you were swimming.  

-Fused pace.  it uses an internal accelerometer as well as the GPS to determine your pace.  So, instantaneous pace is more stable than Garmins- especially if you run under a bridge or in sketchy GPS areas.

- super fast GPS lock.  since it downloads the next 3 days of satellite info, even if you get on a plane and start it up the next day 1000 miles away- it locks up to satellites in seconds.  nice.  (recently tested this too)

- apps.  I guess one of the cool features of the Ambit's are that you can download from the 1000 apps that people have created for it.  From my limited check of them, 950 of them are just garbage.  There's not really that much so far in the app department.  Actually, I found a good skiing one, but for the most part, they're mostly too amateurish.  Still- a lot of potential there though.

Downsides:  no custom workouts, no vibration alert, no virtual pacer/racer, only displays 3 variables at a time (but plenty of screens and the option to scroll through the bottom item of your main screen - so really pretty good here).  Not quite as directly compatible with all other web sites.  Like, in order to link with strava, I need to export the gpx file from movescount, and then upload it into Strava.  it doesn't do it automatically like the garmins.  this may change in the future of course.

Other downside.  If you want to change which variables are on which screens and in which position... you need to use the website.  Can't do it from the watch.  This was annoying during my 1st week, until I got the watch set up the way I like it.  But- this is also an upside.  it's easier to set these things up via the web interface- and you can set up dozens of selected or custom sports, and then download just those that you need to your watch.  So- 'skiing' doesn't need to appear on your watch during the summer when you're never going to use it.  but come winter time, you could set separate sports for Skiing, Snowshoeing, Cross country skiing, and ice skating- as examples and have them available on your watch, but not have it show open water swimming- for instance.  

Like you've learned- they each have their features.  The Ambit 2 not only competes with the 910xt- but is also a direct competitor to the Fenix/Tactix watches.  If you're a pure triathlete and want a single device that captures all your swim/bike/run and otherwise not having it on your wrist, then get the 910xt.  If you venture into other sports, like trekking, ultras and like to play with a more versatile device on your wrist, then maybe the Ambit 2 is for you.

keep us posted

2014-01-07 2:13 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro

update.  virtual pacer (fixed pace) is something that can be added to the Ambit2 via apps.  There are a number of public apps that do this function.

2014-01-07 9:25 PM
in reply to: 0

You are awesome!!! The was the best reply ever!!
It would be awesome if the Ambit 2 had an app for counting steps (for daily activity outside the workout), and an app to create workouts... if I could find those 2 apps I could pass on the rest of cons and go for it without a doubt!

I will post what I will go for once I decide ))

Edited by pilotaids 2014-01-07 9:42 PM
2014-01-07 10:16 PM

User image

Pro

The new polar v800 (not available for another few months) will have the Fitbit style activity monitor and presumably step counter built into it.  So- maybe wait for that watch?.  You can wear it all the time and it will have that capability and fuse your total 'activity' with your training.  I guess that's a nice feature.  Frankly, if you're doing serious swim/bike/run training 8-12 hours a week, there's little additional fitness benefit that you're going to get from how much walking you do- as the intensity level is too low.  (that said, there may be real health benefits to lots of low level activity- just not performance benefits)

Theoretically, since the Ambit2 has an internal accelerometer, it could be programmed to do this.  i don't believe that the accelerometer outputs are available for the creation of custom apps tho'.  This would have to be added in firmware by Suunto, and I wouldn't think that was high on their list.  

I am, however, hoping they will add not a step counter, but a cadence output.  Which certainly could be added based on arm movements.  Got my fingers crossed on this.  They've made a few excellent firmware upgrades so far on the watch, which has already improved it significantly.  Not sure what else is in store, as they'll probably be announcing an Ambit3 later this year- 'cause that's what companies do.  

I am impressed with the ease with which via Garmin Connect, you can create a pretty complex custom workout with various times, distances, HR or pace limits for a full custom workout, and send it to your watch to take you though.  If you do a lot of these- I think that puts you squarely in the Garmin camp.  it's a great feature and well executed.  I've used this on my garmin and it makes track workouts fun.  That said- I rarely do those any more.  Plus, I still have my garmin for those days.

2014-01-08 6:47 PM

would the polar v800 have all the other functions the suunto and and the garmin share?
I'm talking about the swimming and running functions!!!
when is the 800 coming out? do you have any idea how much is it going to be?? )

2014-01-08 9:08 PM

User image

Pro

if you're interested in the V800, you should read Ray's quick look review:  http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/01/polar-v800-triathlon.html

No- I don't expect it will have ALL the other functions of the 910xt or Ambit2- but it will have different ones.

Yes, it will be able to swim, bike and run

the key thing about it is that it will be able to record heart rate while swimming.

2014-01-09 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
I LOVE MY 910XT great to use 1 watch for everything
2014-01-09 12:09 PM

User image

I've been using my Ambit 2 for over a month

For me it works pretty well, the two things I miss are the interval training (you can create it but it's bot that easy) and the virtual partner (that to be honest I'm getting used to live without it), but in my opinion it is a great watch and the other features (such as apps) are a big plus on it..

I've had the same doubt until a month ago, but now I'm pretty sure that I've made the right choice, I wouldn't change it for any other.

Nothing against the 910 ( I know a lot of people that have the 910 and they also say that they wouldn't change it for any other monitor) but the design is very rude, I do prefer the movescount instead of the garmin connect (but because of the compatibility of garmin's site with my training site I do export the gpx file and import it in to the garmin site).

Swimming with the Ambit (or any other watch) is a new thing for me, and it is perfect, now I can compare trainings and this is really great. as it's about 40 degrees Celsius here in Rio de Janeiro swimming is the main sport for me now

One thing you can be sure is that they are both great watches with very similar features, so I don't believe that you can have a bad choice, probably you will love any of them :D

You've said that you looked several reviews, the dcrainmaker's reviews about both are perfect, and my decision was made using a lot of info in this website, I don't know if you've already looked at it, but if you don't it's a good tip.

Good lucky in your choice and happy "tri-new year" for you

:D

regards
2014-01-09 1:16 PM
in reply to: LGPS-BR

User image

Pro

Originally posted by LGPS-BR .. Swimming with the Ambit (or any other watch) is a new thing for me, and it is perfect, now I can compare trainings and this is really great. as it's about 40 degrees Celsius here in Rio de Janeiro swimming is the main sport for me now ...

Once I 'trained' the watch, selected my choice of displays and figured out how to use it while swimming, (like, not to keep hitting the lap button or start/stop), I've found it to be very accurate and my favorite swimming watch.  Big clear display that shows just what I want when I want to see it, and a mostly 'hands off' operation.

Since it's warm where you live, and you have a nice ocean- have you tried out its accuracy in open water swimming (vs pool swimming?).  

2014-01-09 1:28 PM

User image

Originally posted by morey000

Once I 'trained' the watch, selected my choice of displays and figured out how to use it while swimming, (like, not to keep hitting the lap button or start/stop), I've found it to be very accurate and my favorite swimming watch.  Big clear display that shows just what I want when I want to see it, and a mostly 'hands off' operation.

Since it's warm where you live, and you have a nice ocean- have you tried out its accuracy in open water swimming (vs pool swimming?).  

That's one thing I've not done yet , but probably I'll try this weekend, if I do I can leave my feedback and also the link of the swim... and also as I'll be with Garmin users we can compare both...

I'm not sure about that, but if everything works as planned Saturday I'll have an answer for you ...

2014-01-09 1:33 PM

User image

Pro

If you happen to have any other GPS watch, sticking it in your bathing cap works very well.  So, you can compare the tracks.  Or- just looking at how jagged the track is- often answers the question as well.

2014-01-09 1:38 PM

User image

Thanks for the tip
2014-01-09 6:48 PM

I'm glad I've got some feedback on both swimming and running!
Did anyone tried the virtual racer app or the the interval training function on the ambit 2??? Comments, info???? ))
2014-01-10 11:17 AM

User image

I've tried the interval training, it works ok, but it's not that easy to create it (also not that hard, but Suunto should improve this feature for futures updates...), no vibration alarm also, so you depend of your correct timing to look at the watch. But again, if you want to you can just download an App with the interval training and use it, no need for creating the intervals or anything like that.
2014-01-11 7:18 PM

Originally posted by LGPS-BR

I've tried the interval training, it works ok, but it's not that easy to create it (also not that hard, but Suunto should improve this feature for futures updates...), no vibration alarm also, so you depend of your correct timing to look at the watch. But again, if you want to you can just download an App with the interval training and use it, no need for creating the intervals or anything like that.

Does the interval training functions works with distance and timing? Can I sent it up to have me sprint 20 yards + 10 seconds recovery, 40, 60, 100, ..... and then set it up for a timed workout 3 minutes fast then 1 minute slow and repeat????

2014-01-13 4:02 AM

User image

You can set it up for distance, and or time and the number of reps, but it is a simple function, for specific workouts you have to do a app that will put 2 sets together...

eg

if you want to do a 10x (400m run + 30 sec rest) it is possible with just a few steps, you will have to program this on your pc and connect the watch to upload it as a new exercise.

if you want to do something more like 10min heat + 5x(800m run +45sec rest) +1km run + 10min cool down you will have to program more then one time and put it all together as an app...

that was the only way that I've found to do that, but I will not you tell you for sure that it is the only way at all...

take a look at the link http://life.tomwright.me.uk/post/45754837411/interval-training-with...
2014-01-13 4:04 AM

User image

By the way, I wasn't able to swim this weekend, sorry
2014-01-14 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4925994

DCrainmaker does great job analyzing check the reviews there. Seems highly likely Garmin will intro new product this year so might want to wait it out. Also worth noting the entrance of the BIA device in preorder now following a highly successful kick starter campaign. Good luck
2014-01-23 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4931643

I have a similar dilemma. I'm poised to purchase one or the other. One thing I like about the 910xt is that you can upload a previous course performance to the watch and then race against yourself, getting real time info about performance. I have a cache of routes I regularly run and it would be great to race against myself using the ambit 2. Anyone know of an app or function which will facilitate this? Cheers!
2014-01-24 4:53 AM
in reply to: Dansolly

User image

There are some apps about it, don't know if they are good apps. take a look in the apps site (you can register in movescount even if you don't have any suunto watch), you will be able to see all the apps and that may help with your choice.

www.movescount.com/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 910xt or Ambit 2??? Rss Feed