General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do triathlons have finish times? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-09 12:55 AM

User image

Subject: Do triathlons have finish times?
I'm (obviously) really new and I'm still learning everything I need to learn for my first triathlon in August. According to the schedule on the Chicago SuperSprint webpage, the first wave begins at 7 AM and 8:55 AM is the "final finisher." My goal this year is to complete the triathlon. Does this schedule mean that if I do not finish by 8:55 AM that I will have failed to officially complete the triathlon?

2014-01-09 3:01 AM
in reply to: Carolyn24

User image

Subject: RE: Do triathlons have finish times?
Correct. Odds are if you're in even decent shape you'll make the cut off times for a tri, though.

Well, in all honesty, unless they pull you from the course even if you finish after 8:55 you'll still have finished, just not with an official time and with a DNF (Did Not Finish) time in the standings.

2014-01-09 6:11 AM

User image

Champion
MA

It depends on the race. Many have an estimated schedule. Normally if it is a hard and fast cut off they will mention it in the rules or somewhere on the website.

Of the sprints I have done (more than 25) I don't think any had a strict had to finish by xxx time rule. This can be dependent on location, Race Director, and permits issued by town or area.  Only race I know that has hard and fast time cut off is Ironman distance races.

Enjoy your journey to your first triathlon!

2014-01-09 7:25 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Often the finish times are for scheduling of the awards ceremonies. If you're finishing after 8:55 you clearly didn't podium. There have been many races where people are still finishing their race after awards have been distributed.

I looked up the distances for your race (swim: 375m, bike: 10km, run: 2.5km). This race is half of a standard sprint distance. Average times for a sprint are under 2 hours. I'm certain that you'll be fine with a 1:55 window. Good luck, it's gonna be fun, and addictive. 

2014-01-09 7:48 AM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by vertseven

Often the finish times are for scheduling of the awards ceremonies. If you're finishing after 8:55 you clearly didn't podium. There have been many races where people are still finishing their race after awards have been distributed.

I looked up the distances for your race (swim: 375m, bike: 10km, run: 2.5km). This race is half of a standard sprint distance. Average times for a sprint are under 2 hours. I'm certain that you'll be fine with a 1:55 window. Good luck, it's gonna be fun, and addictive. 

If you did every event really slowly:

Swim  375m at 3 minutes/100 = 15 minutes

T1 = 5 minutes

Bike 6.2 miles at 10.5 mph = 35 minutes

T2 = 5 minutes

Run 2.55 miles @ 3.2 mph = 45 minutes

1 hr 45 minutes

Train and do the race and you will laugh at the times I suggested.

2014-01-09 1:33 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

Yes. Technically you'd receive a DNF.
But, as someone pointed out up above, you'd need to be very slow at all disciplines, and pretty much stroll the run section to come close to the cut-off.

Don't stress yourself out over the cut-off times. You have plenty of time to train and get used to OWS, and the bike-to-run feeling.
I recommend a few brick workouts, where you bike then immediately go for a run. It's a very strange feelng (jelly legs) if you're not accustomed to it.

2014-01-09 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
my exgf did that race in 2012 and she is super slow and did it in 1:15 so I think you will be fine.
2014-01-09 2:45 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

over a barrier
You'll be fine. The swim is at shallow beach (you can run the swim) and the bike is nearly flat (just a tiny bridge used for CX State race), and the run is flat.

The race is beginner friendly. You'll do great.
2014-01-12 12:32 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Thank you very much for answering my newbie question, everyone! :-) I'm going to focus on the fun of training over the next seven months by easing myself into it from now on. I tried a brick workout my first day and became so dizzy that I almost passed out in the middle of the gym.
2014-01-12 8:41 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
As mentioned, 1:55 is more than enough time to finish unless you have a crash, mechanical or just simply cannot finish the distance (which is unlikely).

Even if you walk the entire run, bike at running pace and take forever to finish the swim (and I know that part… self-proclaimed worse swimmer in the history of triathlon and always last in my AG out of the water, luckily I can bike and run…) you will finish well within the time allowed.

Most of the time, the max time is set so it gives the race directors a way to plan for any road closures, municipal support (police, ambulance, EMT services, etc.) and then plan the price ceremony. If someone is still out on the course at 8:55am, I bet they would let that person finish and not DNF, seen it happen a few times over all the years I've raced (I can recall 5 races in the last 10 years where someone has been outside of the time allowed in a sprint… no very common in other words).
2014-01-12 10:09 AM

User image

The 951
My first tri: I spent 8 minutes total in transition, taking my time changing and putting my gear on. For some reason I forgot that I was being timed for that too!

2014-01-12 7:48 PM
in reply to: BikesOfALesserGod

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BikesOfALesserGod ... For some reason I forgot that I was being timed for that too!

^^^ That's a great (i.e. funny) story!  

2014-01-12 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Carolyn24 Thank you very much for answering my newbie question, everyone! :-) I'm going to focus on the fun of training over the next seven months by easing myself into it from now on. I tried a brick workout my first day and became so dizzy that I almost passed out in the middle of the gym.

yeah you have to adjust pace/intensity for a brick. i couldn't imagine doing a brick in a gym with poor airflow.... that would be like the peak of summer.  don't focus on combining workouts if your race isn't for a while, and instead just focus on each by itself.  

2015-01-08 12:26 PM

I had the same question about the same race.

The issue that I wanted to add though is it says that the final wave starts at 8:09. That would, based on what the replies have indicated mean that if you were in the last wave you would have to finsih in 46 minutes.

I am a complete novice and I believe that with training I could finish in less than 90 minutes but I dont think I could do 45 minutes. Am I missing something?
2015-01-08 1:27 PM

User image

Originally posted by Carolyn24

Thank you very much for answering my newbie question, everyone! :-) I'm going to focus on the fun of training over the next seven months by easing myself into it from now on. I tried a brick workout my first day and became so dizzy that I almost passed out in the middle of the gym.

7 months is a really REALLY long time to train for that distance even from scratch or totally out of shape. You'll be able to do that easily by the time of the race.
2015-01-08 1:34 PM
in reply to: RobGutie

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by RobGutie I had the same question about the same race. The issue that I wanted to add though is it says that the final wave starts at 8:09. That would, based on what the replies have indicated mean that if you were in the last wave you would have to finsih in 46 minutes. I am a complete novice and I believe that with training I could finish in less than 90 minutes but I dont think I could do 45 minutes. Am I missing something?

My guess is that's a typo - no way they expect everyone to finish in 45 minutes.  If you look at the results for that race from previous years, you can get a better idea of what reasonable times might be.

2015-01-08 3:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Like many have said, technically you may be awarded a DNF but in yourself you will KNOW that you have finished.

But like many have also said, even if you walk the run, do the bike at a what I call "I am going just down the shops speed" and the swim at a leisurely pace, you WILL finish within the 1.55 hour.

My first (and only so far) race was a sort of sprint (same swimming distance as yours , double bike and run). I was not feeling too well ( anemia) so I walked the run and took it easy on both the swim and bike. I finished in 1:51.

So you have some margin. And plenty of time!

Edited by Rollergirl 2015-01-08 3:34 PM
2015-01-08 3:26 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

A few years ago someone on this board suggested that if people are worried about cut off times then they should train more to make sure they are ready to race. 

It wasn't me, by the way.

2015-01-08 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Carolyn24 I'm (obviously) really new and I'm still learning everything I need to learn for my first triathlon in August. According to the schedule on the Chicago SuperSprint webpage, the first wave begins at 7 AM and 8:55 AM is the "final finisher." My goal this year is to complete the triathlon. Does this schedule mean that if I do not finish by 8:55 AM that I will have failed to officially complete the triathlon?

To answer the question in the subject line:  Yes, triathlons have finish times.

When you cross the finish line

They record your time.  

That is your finish time!    

You are probably correct that they will not credit you with an "official finish" if you aren't done by 8:55 after starting at 7:00.  Why do they do this?  Several reasons.  One is to be fair to race officials, staff, and volunteers.  Could you imagine the response to asking the city for a permit to close the street for a race but you won't tell them how long the street might be closed?  Another is to be fair to all participants.  Imagine how volunteers might be assigned if the race directory has no estimates for finish cutoffs.  You could be done and waiting for a medal and post race food being served by two overworked volunteers while 50 other volunteers are still out on the course serving one participant.  Similarly, how long will you hang around to be awarded your first-place-in-division trophy if they won't start the awards until everyone is done but nobody knows how long that will be.  It is also fair to you as an individual participant.  You saw the information about the cutoff and you're doing the right thing, asking questions to make sure you aren't the athlete holding everyone else up.  As a participant, I have a responsibility to train and prepare myself to complete the race within the allotted time.  If the 1:55 cutoff makes me nervous, I'm going to train to be absolutely sure I'll finish under the limit.  

Lest anyone think I'm a FOP elitist who only believes the fast people should be out there racing, I'm a MOP'er.  I have a lot of respect for people who still show up to race knowing that missing the cutoff is a real possibility as they're putting it all on the line every bit as much as the guys racing for first place.  

Go have fun training and racing!  

2015-01-08 6:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I think the term you are looking for is "cut-off times." Most races do have cut-off times, that is times by which you must finish each leg before continuing on to the next. This is particularly important for the swim-- you must finish the swim by certain times, after which the swim is no longer monitored by race officials (both in pools and open water swims). But many races will also have cut-off times for the bike leg, and most for the overall finish.

In my experience for short races, these cut-off times are very generous. For super-sprint or other beginner-friendly short triathlons, the ones I've been in give you about 4:00/100m for the swim. So a 400m swim must be finished in a 16:00 cutoff time, 700m 28:00. Some have even longer allowances for beginners.

For your race, I assume they swim waves going at different times in a rolling start, so not everyone would have the full 1:55 window to finish. Still, that's a very generous time for a super-sprint (375m swim, 10K bike, 2.5K run) and I assume you'll have no problem.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-01-08 6:49 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do triathlons have finish times? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Time for some guessing, finish time prediction!

Started by Cochip
Views: 1203 Posts: 7

2012-07-28 7:07 PM GaryRM

Having a hard time taking time off training

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1376 Posts: 7

2010-07-03 10:53 AM Karl Hungus

Sprint Triathlon - what is a good finishing time?

Started by chaxby
Views: 12815 Posts: 9

2009-09-20 6:27 PM marcag

Having a really hard time spending my bike fund money

Started by jase714
Views: 2045 Posts: 21

2007-03-05 9:48 AM davidb

Average time to finish a sprint Triathlon

Started by whiterabbitktf
Views: 64052 Posts: 16

2021-04-23 5:59 PM olivernicholle9052
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : dorihol
comments : 1
First triathlon at age 55 with daughter Linnea & Grandson Hunter

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.

date : July 28, 2008
author : davebass63
comments : 1
A blow by blow description of my first triathlon. Let me start by telling you how I planned for it to go. Though here's what actually occurred.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
comments : 0
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
So after about 10,000 emails, dozens of phone calls, and one pre-race pasta dinner, the 1st meeting of the Steve's in a triathlon finally arrived.