General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Norway Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-11 5:02 AM

User image

Subject: Hello from Norway
Hello good people of Beginner Triathlete

After a month or so of reading forum posts, I guess it`s time to introduce myself.

I`m a man/boy/child(at heart atleast) of 24 years, from Norway who has finally taken the step up to triathlon!

Personal background:
This could be long, but to keep it short: from age 8 to 15 I have been told that I couldn`t do anything, that I would never amount to anything, I would never get friends, etc. This caused me a pretty severe social anxiety, and following that a depression... After 6 months of therapy at age 19 I was finally able to wake up in the morning without thinking some very bad thoughts about myself, and well on my way out of the worst part of it.
I`m telling you this because it still affects me everyday, I get truly drained from social interactions. Wich in turn affect my training...
But I LOVE beeing out on the road either on my bike or in my running shoes, there is nothing like nature to take my mind of everything and truly feel "free".

Sports background:
*Since early childhood I`ve been playing soccer, but I quit when I moved away for school at age 19.
*At age 16 I started to train for a marathon, which meant 3-4 runs a weeks averaging 7km a run. I still had soccer practice so I couldn`t run as much as I wanted.
*Until I started working at age 23 I was mostly doing 20km weeks while playing a wide varity of sports (hockey, volleyball, ultimate frisbee).
*At age 21 me and some friends had a "vacation" in Italy; 17days on the bike = 2700km
*At age 23 me and some friends had a "vacation" in France; 10days on the bike = 1800km

Injury background:
*age 16,5 I broke my right leg (Fibula) in a nasty socceraccident (they told me that if they didn`t start the operation as soon as possible, there was a big chance of loosing my foot), spent 5 days in the hospital not allowed to move out of my bed. Also not allowed to strain my foot for 2months, not allowed to run for six months.
*age 17,5 I bust my knee in another soccermatch, this time I was out for another six months.
*age 22 my knee didn`t appreciate the summerjob I had, I was up on my feet for 12hr straight on concrete floor and tried to run when I got home. My knee was NOT happy, and I spent 3months waiting for it to become happy again.
*age 24 During my training for a half-marathon I ramped up my training way to fast (from 20km weeks to 65km in just 3weeks), wich ofcourse made my knee hate me again... This was in October 2013, I haven`t run since early December. Hoping my knee is fine in February.

Why am I doing this:
Since I first laid eyes on the athletes finishing Norseman, I have dreamt of the day where I will jump of true joy and exertion at the top of Gaustatoppen :D
But what finally pushed over the edge of becoming a triathlete was a mission, and that mission is to race to raise money for charity. Me and two friends are going to start a "Ironman for charity" charity soon, and we already have a few sponsors!

Goal for 2014:
*Participate in atleast 3 training triathlons. (the local one is 1,2km-44km-8km)
*Finish a Half-Ironman
*Swim for 2500m open water without too much of a hassle.
*Beat my half-marathon time in the annual local race
*Progress alot slower than I feel like doing (read: NOT GET MYSELF INJURED!!)

Sorry if there is not alot of consistency in the wall of text, as English is not my native language. Feel free to ask if there is anything on your mind

Thanks for reading!

2014-01-11 5:41 AM
in reply to: Runner204

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Hello from Norway

Hi, welcome to BT, triathlon, and these new journeys in your life Norseman is so, well, WOW and is such an inspiration. Thank you also for starting the charitable work; it multiplies the great joy and benefits we have from this wonderful sport into the lives of so many other people.

Look into our mentor groups (link at the top of this forum); they are really great for support and info. I wish you all the best!

2014-01-13 5:31 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

That is true, charity and/or giving something of mine (time, money & items...) to people not expecting it (or believe they deserve it) is amazing

The whole mentor group thing looks super! Contrary to popular belief there are nice people on the internet
2014-01-13 8:53 AM

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
Hello from Charlotte, North Carolina!
Welcome to BT, you are in the right area to continue in the triathlon world AND you have a lot of positive people on this site to encourage you and to ask questions. I've been doing triathlons for the last seven years and do them just to stay in shape. All I use to do was run, but with a foot injury I started to swim, which led to biking and with my foot healed triathlons! Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Welcome aboard!

Bill
2014-01-13 1:31 PM
in reply to: wsandford

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Hello from Kansas. Welcome to BT. It sounds like you already know how to HTFU and we're glad you "beat" depression. I work for a multinational company headquartered in Denmark and I know how much eaiser depression sits in up there, especially in winter when you only have 3-4 hours sunlight etc.

And I've seen videos of that Norseman triathlon and that scares me. There's a part of me that wants to try it and another part that says "your kids will still think you're a bada$$ if you don't...".

Good luck training and staying injury free!
2014-01-13 2:35 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Bill:

I`ve noticed that there is a very positive attitude in the forum, which is great

Injury wise I hope that a little more diversity in my training will help to prevent the worst part of it .

And I will most definitely ask if there is anything.

Reece:

Yeah! When I drive to work it`s dark, when i drive to the pool/gym/track after work it`s dark... I would have to admit that if it only was cold during the winter, the winter season would be great!

Norseman is a big dream atm, but hopefully in a few years I will be enough of a viking to finish with a black t-shirt ;P

BTW: The HTFU was a new abbreviation for me, but I love it!

Thanks alot for the welcome

2014-01-13 2:56 PM

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
Marius,

Attitude is everything!

I just 'friended' you on BT so I can keep track of your progress and send inspires. The beauty of this triathlon lifestyle is the cross-training. I use to run 1500+ miles each year when I was younger, but didn't bike or swim. With triathlon, you spread the 'wealth' around and it's better on the body.

The biggest obstacle to triathlon, at least to me, is staying injury free. Check into a foam roller with PVC inside), The Stick, massage and a good chiropractor. I use all of the above.

Yes, December is the only time I can feel your pain with the darkness here in Charlotte. I was stationed in Germany for three years and it's tough waking up and it's dark and going home from work and it's still dark. Since you are a Viking, you'll be fine!

Drink water! Sounds simple, but most of us don't drink enough of it.

Bill
2014-01-13 3:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Great White North
My suggestion hit the trails... classic, skate whichever you prefer. Do you have night cross country in your area?

Edited by simpsonbo 2014-01-13 3:01 PM
2014-01-15 12:52 AM
in reply to: wsandford

User image

Bill:

A foam roller is on my "to buy" list. I`m also taking a trip to the local medical clinic next month, their main focus is on athletes. There I sohuld be able to make a regular appointment.

I have a 1 liter bottle right next to me at work and at my desk at home, which screams at me ever so often. I try to drink atleast one full bottle at work (+ a bunch of coffee) and atleast half a bottle to a full bottle at home depending on when I get home.

Simpsonbo:

I do have a night cross country not to far from my home, and I do have a pair of skis laying around.
My main concern is the drive, I already have a 40min drive to work, 15min drive to the pool, 50min drive back home. If I`m going to the night cross country location it`s going to add atleast 40min to my daily total... And I hate wasting time in the car...

PS: I can`t wait for it to get just a little warmer and a little less icy on the road, then I can start to bike to work (60km roundtrip)
2014-01-15 5:47 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Välkommen from PA (but born in Sweden).

What a life story at "only" 24! With everything you had to overcome, you have the mental strength to become a great triathlete.
2014-01-20 4:15 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Welcome to BT from Seattle, Washington.

I'm quite impressed by your ambitions and journey so far. Way to go. It sounds to me like you'll make a great triathlete.

And Norseman... just wow. That is quite the race.

Good luck with training and keeping that knee healthy.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Norway Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello Hello

Started by mdhunter
Views: 1247 Posts: 2

2009-06-30 6:43 AM wee scotty

Hi from Norway

Started by trinew7
Views: 1131 Posts: 12

2007-11-01 3:43 AM trinew7

hello hello hello....