General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Home brew energy "gel" passed the Century test yesterday. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-12 10:45 AM

User image

The 951
Subject: Home brew energy "gel" passed the Century test yesterday.
This recipe is pretty much the same as what you will find over the interwebz with some Google Fu.

4 oz of honey (sugar)

2 tsp of blackstrap molasses (potassium)

A pinch of Nu Salt (potassium)

A few drops of vanilla extract (flavor)

2 oz of water

Mix all, pour in your flasks. I use three 2 oz Humangear TSA approved GoToobs. They're kinda expensive but you can get almost all the gel out and the small 2 oz size means you can stuff them in your jerseys, shorts, running belts etc easier.

Good thing about this is it is shelf stable (honey and molasses don't spoil at room temps at least here in the US) so I can start making it in bigger quantities.

I used this mix for a Century yesterday and I felt it was good for a quick boost if taken during regular intervals along with water and a little bit of food.

I'll experiment adding caffeine and probably some protein too in the form of wheat germ.

2014-01-12 11:40 AM
in reply to: BikesOfALesserGod

User image

Subject: RE: Home brew energy "gel" passed the Century test yesterday.
Nice to know I'm not the only person that makes there own "gel". My recipe is basically the same as what you use, the only difference being the vanilla extract. I started adding vanilla protein powder and just had to increase the water to keep it from getting too thick. I have been wondering how to add a bit of caffeine. Might play around with adding a shot of expresso? Could taste good with a bit of chocolate or vanilla protein powder.
2014-01-12 11:44 AM
in reply to: PowerRuff

User image

The 951
I was thinking chocolate of course! Exercise is hard enough without the little perks!

Yeah I came to the conclusion that I can make this at home after reading a lot of the energy gel ingredients off their packets. A bonus here is that I'm not stuffing sticky gel wrappers into my pockets/gear after using them.
2014-01-12 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4929584

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Thanks! I've been meaning to play around with this. Your recipe and experience seem simple enough that I might give it a go.

Is there a way to systematically know how this fits in with your past gel / sports drink experience? For example, I know I need 0-1 gel per hour at Z2 efforts and 2-3 at high intensity efforts. How much lf this stuff would equate to that? Or do you just plan to use experience?
2014-01-12 6:40 PM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Queen Creek, Arizona
i also make my own.. i use orange extract and i add caffeine powder to mimic power bar gells...

works for me. every hour a 1oz shot. every 1/2 hour i eat a half a cliff bar.
2014-01-12 9:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

The 951
Originally posted by smoom

Thanks! I've been meaning to play around with this. Your recipe and experience seem simple enough that I might give it a go.

Is there a way to systematically know how this fits in with your past gel / sports drink experience? For example, I know I need 0-1 gel per hour at Z2 efforts and 2-3 at high intensity efforts. How much lf this stuff would equate to that? Or do you just plan to use experience?

There are 80 or so calories per ounce of honey and 15 cal in 1 tsp of molasses. So just call one oz of mix = one serving of gel unless you wish to buff it up to 1 oz honey :1 tsp molasses to get closer to 100 cal. The molasses might be too overbearing at that point

I learned before that I need to take get some form of energy boost every 45 mins to an hour of vigorous activity (tempo).

ETA: Just made a batch with Hershey's Chocolate powder dissolved in the water. Good stuff!

Edited by BikesOfALesserGod 2014-01-12 10:06 PM

2014-01-13 2:38 AM
in reply to: ranman69

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by ranman69i also make my own.. i use orange extract and i add caffeine powder to mimic power bar gells...works for me. every hour a 1oz shot. every 1/2 hour i eat a half a cliff bar.
Where do you buy caffeine powder?Thanks..
2014-01-13 7:08 AM
in reply to: BikesOfALesserGod

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
I never even considered making my own; thanks for posting this!
2014-01-13 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4929584

User image

Queen Creek, Arizona
I ordered the caffeine powder from e bay... I got a huge bag fo 15$ if you go this route dissolve the power in the water first. It clumps in the honey
2014-01-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: ranman69

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I made my own last year using a similar recipe.  Unfortunately, I find it just sort of sat in my stomach and on the run it just sloshed around.  The first time I thought I was hearing the tummy of a nearby runner but then I realized it was me making all that noise.  I tried some adjustments over a few races but always had this problem.  So I now rely on Nuun tabs and Hammer gels for the most part.  This seems to work.  I do mostly Olympic races.

2014-01-13 3:28 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Caffeine powder is terribly bitter. I'd suggest using green tea extract as your caffeine source.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Home brew energy "gel" passed the Century test yesterday. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best Energy Gel Pages: 1 2

Started by loutalarico
Views: 2085 Posts: 30

2007-12-24 7:42 PM DaveA

Can energy gels go bad?

Started by bostic
Views: 9427 Posts: 16

2007-08-29 6:00 PM max

homemade energy gel

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1691 Posts: 6

2006-10-15 6:57 AM Gav1866

Energy gel usage

Started by edholt
Views: 1541 Posts: 9

2006-07-29 9:22 AM us50090

Energy Gels?

Started by MUL98
Views: 936 Posts: 14

2004-07-20 1:23 PM soupaman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 16, 2010
author : PatriciaDawn
comments : 3
I decided that completing a triathlon would be the perfect celebration of reaching my goal and losing 83% of my excess body weight by dropping 230 pounds.

date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.

date : June 10, 2008
author : shadoweloc
comments : 7
I was nervous. The water was cold. The cones defining the course were so far away. When the whistle blew for my wave, I waded in slowly to let everyone else pass me.
date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."
date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.