General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Herniated Disc....update Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-12 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Subject: Herniated Disc....update
Well, I'm about 11 weeks post herniated disc, L5/S1. Didn't have much relief until I received an epidural 5 weeks ago. Shooting pain down the leg and calf almost gone but my back and hip still get sore. Since the shot and initial improvement following it I have seen a little improvement but nothing earth shattering. Slightly concerned that I'm approaching the 3 month mark and don't feel anywhere near healed. Haven't been able to do much other than light walking on the treadmill and some swimming with a swim buoy between the legs. Hoping this doesn't drag out 4, 5, 6 months and they say "let's operate". It would end my season. As it is I wanted to do a 70.3 and thinking that may be a long shot at this moment since I would need to start training around mid Feb or by the first of March. Trying to keep perspective of things saying to myself it's ok if I have to stick to sprints or maybe a late season Oly vs. not doing anything this year.

It sucks getting old, and I'm only 43! LOL!

2014-01-15 9:10 AM
in reply to: lakelandsledder

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Herniated Disc....update

Originally posted by lakelandsledder Well, I'm about 11 weeks post herniated disc, L5/S1. Didn't have much relief until I received an epidural 5 weeks ago. Shooting pain down the leg and calf almost gone but my back and hip still get sore. Since the shot and initial improvement following it I have seen a little improvement but nothing earth shattering. Slightly concerned that I'm approaching the 3 month mark and don't feel anywhere near healed. Haven't been able to do much other than light walking on the treadmill and some swimming with a swim buoy between the legs. Hoping this doesn't drag out 4, 5, 6 months and they say "let's operate". It would end my season. As it is I wanted to do a 70.3 and thinking that may be a long shot at this moment since I would need to start training around mid Feb or by the first of March. Trying to keep perspective of things saying to myself it's ok if I have to stick to sprints or maybe a late season Oly vs. not doing anything this year. It sucks getting old, and I'm only 43! LOL!

By the orthopedic literature 80% get better in 3 months. If you are not better by the 3 month mark I would consider the surgery. 

2014-01-15 9:08 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by lakelandsledder Well, I'm about 11 weeks post herniated disc, L5/S1. Didn't have much relief until I received an epidural 5 weeks ago. Shooting pain down the leg and calf almost gone but my back and hip still get sore. Since the shot and initial improvement following it I have seen a little improvement but nothing earth shattering. Slightly concerned that I'm approaching the 3 month mark and don't feel anywhere near healed. Haven't been able to do much other than light walking on the treadmill and some swimming with a swim buoy between the legs. Hoping this doesn't drag out 4, 5, 6 months and they say "let's operate". It would end my season. As it is I wanted to do a 70.3 and thinking that may be a long shot at this moment since I would need to start training around mid Feb or by the first of March. Trying to keep perspective of things saying to myself it's ok if I have to stick to sprints or maybe a late season Oly vs. not doing anything this year. It sucks getting old, and I'm only 43! LOL!

By the orthopedic literature 80% get better in 3 months. If you are not better by the 3 month mark I would consider the surgery. 

I pray that's not my situation. Saw the doctor today. He seems to think I'm progressing. He had me slowly bend forward and to the side and back, walk on my heals and toes, and a few other push/pull tests and my nerves didn't flare up. He said that was good and gave me some exercises to do like leaning against the wall at an angle and squatting down a little to help build side core muscles. PT is giving me progressive exercises like laying on my back and pulling my legs up to my chest. I did that this week and felt ok. Next she wants me to sit and lean a little forward between my legs which I will try in a couple days. If that goes ok then I can stand and start bending towards my toes. I see her next week and will get re-evaluated. I was on my inversion table couple days ago and felt a pop in my back hip area and now my foot is a little numb. Doctor doesn't think it's from the herniation though.
2014-03-15 7:23 AM
in reply to: lakelandsledder

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
About 21 weeks post L5/S1 herniation. Doing a little better than a month or two back. "Most" of the aches into the hip and calf are gone. Over the last 4 to 6 weeks I developed an on and off slight numbness in my foot, the type of feeling that when you tap it on the floor you get a little reverberation This was a new thing that I didn't have before. It comes and goes throughout the day but most of the day I don't notice it. I also developed a sore spot in my middle back (thoracic) just off the spine about a half inch that is tender over the last 5 weeks. I feel it when I get out of bed or use a foam roller on it. but It doesn't radiate out. Not sure what that could be. Overall, I would say I'm progressing SLOWLY. IF I could get rid of the on/off foot numbness I would be a lot happier. Last visit I told him about these issues and my frustration. He said I could talk to a surgeon if I wanted but at the 1 year mark the recovery between non surgery and surgery patients is about the same. I see the Doc in a week or so. Needless to say I feeling like my tri season is over before it started. At this point if I could run by Summer I would be happy but who knows.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Herniated Disc....update Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Finger Numbness and Herniated Cervical Disc

Started by Virginia87
Views: 4208 Posts: 4

2008-09-28 5:47 PM Virginia87

Time out for herniated disc

Started by turnerc
Views: 1438 Posts: 9

2008-09-17 3:22 PM turnerc

Herniated Disc/Help needed

Started by Shibumi
Views: 7008 Posts: 11

2008-04-25 6:09 AM dragoman

Herniated Disc in lower back Pages: 1 2

Started by bradword
Views: 6687 Posts: 31

2008-02-02 1:29 PM itchyring

Herniated Disc & Sciatica anyone??

Started by clelling
Views: 1807 Posts: 9

2006-11-18 9:21 AM rnikita
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
Fast forward to now after many triathlons and marathons, my back is worse than ever. What helps lumbar back issues? Shots, physical therapy, surgery?

date : December 14, 2011
comments : 0
After surgery for a herniated disc, is running causing a repeat injury?
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : September 9, 2010
Have I bitten more off than I should? What do you recommend for progress?
date : July 13, 2009
author : Ontherun
We review three unique floor pumps: Pedro's Super Prestige, Topeak JoeBlow Ace and the Campbell Hausfeld cordless rechargeable inflator. Also discussed are Presta and Schrader valves.

date : June 22, 2009
I know that annular tears mean there is a risk for a bigger disc blow-out. How do I continue to train and compete without putting myself at risk for worsening of my injury?
date : May 12, 2008
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.

date : April 14, 2008
A few years ago, I was diagnosed with two lumbar herniated discs (L1-L2). I have started a very slow build towards my first tri. Are there any recommendations or warnings I should heed?