Tejas Trails
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 00m 16s
Overall Rank = 38/174
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/18
Pre-race routine:

Packet Pick-up the night before, so race morning routine is park, outhouse, and head to the start line.
Run
  • 00m
  • 50 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

Used this race as part of my last big volume training weekend before my first hundred mile attempt in three weeks. I thought it would be a good fitness test. This was my third Bandera 50k, so I kind of know what to expect on this course.The first third of the 50k course is all hills and very rocky trail. The typical mistake runners make on this course is to go out too hard. Most people can't bank time on the first part of this course without giving it all back later. My strategy is to go very easy the first two hours so there is still a little something in the tank to run when the course evens out and the trails are actually runnable.

Typically I end up passing lots of people the last two hours of this race.

Bandera 50k was planned to be part of my last big volume weekend before the RR 100 on Feb 1. I'm pretty satisfied. Even though I didn't really taper for this race at all, I moved from 57th last year to 38th this year and cut about 12 minutes off my time. More importantly, my feet were not sore at all and my legs held up much better than last year. I still had some quad stiffness from all the hills, but nothing too bad. I'm taking this performance as an indicator that my chances of finishing RR 100 are pretty good!
What would you do differently?:

Should have carried a gel or two. Forgot that the first full aid station is almost two hours into the race.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much hill training. Since I live in the Houston area, not many hills are available. I think stairs in the downtown office buildings would be a good proxy for the hills at Bandera. Maybe next year!

Event comments:

Tejas Trails puts on an absolutely outstanding race! The course is tough but fair, and the views from the tops of the hills are outstanding! However, this is a technical course. Don't enter this race if you're not prepared for the hills and all the rocks!

Last updated: 2013-12-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 50 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 38/174
Performance: Average
Course: Bandera 50k is help on trails in a State Natural Area, which means unimproved. Composition toilets, no showers, no paved roads, no sidewalks, and rough camping. The park has 40 miles of trails, and most of that is single track. There is no drinking water in the park. All drinking water must be brought in. Rippling with rolling hills, the highest point in the 5000-acre park is only 2000 feet, yet the ups & downs will grab your attention and not let go. The rugged beauty and breathtaking vistas are pure Texas. If you've never been here, you're going to be pleasantly surprised. If you have been, then you know… it isn’t flat! This is where the locals go to train for the mountain 100 milers. The single track is very rocky in places. Portions of the race are very technical, but about half the course is quite runnable.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-01-13 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Bandera 50K

2014-01-15 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4930828

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: RE: Bandera 50K
Nice job, good race! You're lucky to have such a fine, perfect final training race close to you! My wife and I will be at RR100 as well, I'll look for you there.

We're also thinking about the Bandara 100k next year, looks like fun.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bandera 50K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bandera 50K

Started by dland1009
Views: 620 Posts: 1

2013-06-23 5:38 PM dland1009

Bandera 50K

Started by g_shotts
Views: 937 Posts: 2

2013-01-15 6:12 PM djastroman