Other Resources The Political Joe » Education jobs vs enrollment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-13 9:21 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: Education jobs vs enrollment
http://www.businessinsider.com/public-schools-jobs-versus-enrollmen...

This isn't good. My wife will be one of those leaving the profession after this school year.

2014-01-13 9:42 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Education jobs vs enrollment

Originally posted by JoshR http://www.businessinsider.com/public-schools-jobs-versus-enrollmen... This isn't good. My wife will be one of those leaving the profession after this school year.

You're right.....it's bad.  I think that public schools as we knew them growing up are going the way of the do-do bird.  The amount of kids being home schooled, added with the kids in private schools, added with the kids now enrolled in on-line programs, added with a general fear of violence in public schools, added with entire school districts who's tax base is blighted........and you can pretty much count on the death of the public system.

My wife and I have really tried to instill in our children the idea that school is a great place to learn, form friendships, play sports, and begin to find your way in life.  They buy it, they enjoy it, and we support our teachers and schools.  But they also know kids from their swim programs who are home schooled, and kids from the youth/jr. triathlon circuit who get their education on-line so they can  train more......and they know that everything is a trade off.  My wife and I both had wonderful and positive experiences in our childhood schooling, and both of us believed that home schooling and on-line schooling was a crock, a way of selling out the neighborhood schools.....and I have to say, I still have a lot of those beliefs.  Schools have been the woven fabric that held neighborhoods together from my experiences......but I also understand that times change.

I'd be willing to bet my grandchildren won't know "school" the way I did and my children did.  I think that's a sad commentary on our society....but I doubt there is any turning back at this point.

2014-01-14 2:51 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Josh did you see the story on ZH about NY's worst school ? Its no wonder trends are what they are.
2014-01-14 9:05 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Funny when I went to collegel in the late 90s I knew many many teaching majors. I think 1 out of 12 is in teaching because they just could not get a job.
2014-01-14 12:21 PM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by gr33n

Josh did you see the story on ZH about NY's worst school ? Its no wonder trends are what they are.

I saw it but didn't get a chance to read it. I'll check it out.

I know for my wife, the tradeoff just wasn't worth it. She was working part time, but she could go to Mcdonalds and make just as much money while spending less time working. With a 2 year old and a little one due in a few weeks, she'd rather stay home with the kids than spend all that time for very little pay.
2014-01-14 3:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
There is so much embedded in that, I don't know where to start.

Brief background...
School Psychologist by original training and job went to admin in traditional district, now admin in Charter school.

Some things to consider...

1- Politics impacts daily school life more than ever. There is a lot of real estate between what makes good sound bites for re-election to what trickles down to good classroom practice. Wrote a little dissertation on State involvement of failing schools.... http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED507119.pdf

2 - Tenures and credentialing can be a really fickle thing. Some years, really good people have been deterred from the profession due to the everchanging hoops/requirements (and checks) needed to get a credential. Then, first in/last out prevents them from having job security if they do get their credentials. Meanwhile, there are tenured folks that received waivers during times of high growth that have no business being in a classroom. They have job security and higher pay. One of the best school psychologists I have ever worked with had seven year's seniority at her district, was laid off, and was the lowest seniority on the call back list. 90% of your faculty can totally rock., it is amazing how much damage to kids' education and staff morale that 10% can have...

If I ever leave the Charter world, there is a 90% chance that I will walk away from Admin and just work as a site-based school psych or go into private practice. In district Admin, I spent more time dealing with politics and buruacracy. In my current job, I spend the majority of my day talking about what is best for kids.

Edited by eabeam 2014-01-14 3:14 PM

2014-01-28 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
It's getting REAL bad in WI. More leaving the profession here than ever and less getting into it for a career. My wife is looking at getting out after 16 years an it isn't because of the kids, it's the crappy parents and worthless principals she's had to deal with. I know not all principals are this bad but our district sure has had a bad run of them. And what does the board do? Give across the board raises for all administrators and cut pay for teachers.
2014-01-30 9:07 AM
in reply to: lakelandsledder

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

So I have a thought on this.  Isn't this more of an issue with poorly run state/city budgets than it is with the "education system" or increases in private schools?

I live in a great school district in a suburb of Omaha.  I think we individually pay close to $5k a year in property taxes that are specifically marked for public schools.  If I take my kids and put them into private school I still have to pay these taxes but the school doesn't have to provide the services to my children.  So I would think of it as a good thing for more kids to be put in private/home school because it would mean less services provided for the same amount of money.

I could be talking out my rear, but it makes more sense that municipalities are forced to cut back on education expenses because they've mismanaged the money in other areas.  If you're city is so devastated financially and you've created a tax system that's so bad that people move out of your city then of course your tax revenues are going to fall and the public education system is going to be harmed.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is the schools are a symptom of a much bigger problem.

2014-01-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
Madrid
I think you could be right. Another possible follow on question to your point (that I don't know the answer to) is in some areas have charter schools done more harm than good to the overall public education system. I should emphasize to the public education system, not to the students themselves that attend charter schools if thats a fair distinction.
2014-01-30 9:46 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by tuwood

So I have a thought on this.  Isn't this more of an issue with poorly run state/city budgets than it is with the "education system" or increases in private schools?

I live in a great school district in a suburb of Omaha.  I think we individually pay close to $5k a year in property taxes that are specifically marked for public schools.  If I take my kids and put them into private school I still have to pay these taxes but the school doesn't have to provide the services to my children.  So I would think of it as a good thing for more kids to be put in private/home school because it would mean less services provided for the same amount of money.

I could be talking out my rear, but it makes more sense that municipalities are forced to cut back on education expenses because they've mismanaged the money in other areas.  If you're city is so devastated financially and you've created a tax system that's so bad that people move out of your city then of course your tax revenues are going to fall and the public education system is going to be harmed.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is the schools are a symptom of a much bigger problem.

Not necessarily. What I was getting at with the original post, is that actually being a teacher now, is not fun. In addition to the low pay, the schools are underfunded (your point) in a lot of areas. However it's not just that, it's the increased focus on the tests. It's the lack of parental accountability. It's a whole host of factors that make it really miserable to be a teacher. It's very hard to provide any kind of special assistance to kids who are over or under achieving. I just don't see how we are going to produce an educated future workforce out of this system.
2014-01-30 10:24 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by JoshR
Originally posted by tuwood

Not necessarily. What I was getting at with the original post, is that actually being a teacher now, is not fun. In addition to the low pay, the schools are underfunded (your point) in a lot of areas. However it's not just that, it's the increased focus on the tests. It's the lack of parental accountability. It's a whole host of factors that make it really miserable to be a teacher. It's very hard to provide any kind of special assistance to kids who are over or under achieving. I just don't see how we are going to produce an educated future workforce out of this system.

Yeah, I agree.  There are a ton of factors and I was simply addressing the "money" side for the most part.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Education jobs vs enrollment Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Creative job pay under obamacare

Started by Stuartap
Views: 1061 Posts: 4

2013-12-30 2:56 PM chayes

On the street interviews 'Obamacare' vs. Affordable Care Act

Started by tolefanjh
Views: 1386 Posts: 4

2013-10-02 9:24 AM msteiner

'Create education better' to solve income inequality: Miss Utah Pages: 1 2

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 3083 Posts: 27

2013-06-21 2:28 PM switch
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.
date : September 3, 2005
author : bflrich
You’re probably not going to get it just right immediately. Like always, just do the best you can and keep on keeping on. Don’t get upset if you don’t hit the target every time.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?