General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Kentucky Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-14 1:23 PM

User image

Subject: Hello from Kentucky
Newbie here from Central Kentucky.

Little back story: I've been running for many years. I've completed several 1/2 marathons and a few Duathlons. I was planning on completing the Derby full marathon this year, but a recent IT band issue is keeping down so I'm not sure about that race.

Moving on, I have thought about, talked about, wanted to do a triathlon for a long time. Maybe now is the time. I'm like many, swimming isn't my strong point. I can swim....but really I can't. Honestly, the more I read on this site, the more I think that maybe I should stick to running/cycling. It seems there is much more in to swimming and OWS than I thought. I have a local YMCA that I planned on taking some lessons with, but I'm starting to question all of this already. There's not many places around that I can practice OWS, except the Kentucky River.

This is the race I was thinking about debuting in: http://www.borderchallengetri.com/

So, here I am....still on the fence. A little worried about the swim and if this is something I can do.

2014-01-16 5:46 AM
in reply to: jblaylock

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Hello from Kentucky

Hi, welcome to BT and triathlon!

If you can swim, and can work up to getting from point A to point B in a triathlon swim, that's really all you need. If you want to get GOOD at swimming, then it takes as much time as anything to get good at.

I'd go ahead with the swim lessons--you don't lose anything by learning to be more proficient and comfortable in the water, just as a life and exercise skill. You can decide on the triathlon later, if it doesn't sell out fast.

2014-01-17 6:36 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'd say go ahead and give it a try. Most folks do most of their swim training in the pool. Like was mentioned above, take lessons if you can and be willing to work at it. You have a bit of time before the race to get comfortable.

Mostly I hope you have a good time!

2014-01-18 6:46 PM

User image

Hello from Louisville. The swim will not stop you from completing a triathlon, if you want to. It is a matter of starting small and building up. Practice sighting (lift your head 2x per 25m) and open water swimming is not that much different than swimming in a pool -- just a mental hurdle. You will not be disqualified for bad form. You can swim ten strokes and flip over on your back for ten strokes and you will not be the last person out of the water. The Border Challenge sprint swim is forgiving and moves with the current (the olympic crosses the river and takes a bit more nerve). You could hypothetically float it. Lots of people will pass you, and you will pass half of them back on the bike/run. If a triathlon is something you've always wanted to do, go for it, and if you like it you can get a coach and learn how to swim like the pros (on my bucket list). Good luck with the IT!
2014-01-19 5:47 PM
in reply to: Batcheldor

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Hello! I'm also from central KY! I live in Georgetown. I haven't done the border challenge, but I did the one a month prior to that, Race the Bridge, and the Ohio River swim is pretty easy with the current. I swam faster on that swim than any swim in training.
2014-01-20 7:31 AM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Thanks everyone. That's a little encouraging news about the swim. I'm pretty confident in the Bike/Run. I've been running for 15+ years and cycling for 3-4 years. I think I'm going to shift my attention to doing some Tri's this year instead of a marathon. This IT band issue is driving me nuts. At least I can still work on my cycling without it bothering me, so that's something. I've been using some of the indoor trainer plans/tips I found on this site and they are great.

@Bradleykd, I live in Richmond, so we're close. I also see you did the Ironhorse. I did that race as well, one of my favorites.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Kentucky Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello from Kentucky!! Signed up for the Louisville Ironman

Started by bluemakers
Views: 671 Posts: 4

2013-02-27 9:59 AM KWDreamun

hello from Kentucky

Started by jodiemeeks43
Views: 672 Posts: 7

2009-04-09 2:38 PM M-shell

hello hello hello....

Started by kinezo
Views: 1559 Posts: 13

2007-04-03 4:12 PM robin314159

Hello from Kentucky

Started by Janelle1217
Views: 733 Posts: 8

2006-02-16 11:43 AM hangloose

Hello from Kentucky

Started by Kevin Hatton
Views: 1239 Posts: 10

2005-02-07 4:29 PM tim_edwards
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 6, 2008
author :
comments : 0
In this video, we interview several BT'ers before and after Ironman Kentucky 2008. Includes backgrounds, 'why do an Ironman', training, strengths & weaknesses, nutrition and race strategy.