General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hair issues during IM training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-15 2:10 PM

User image

Subject: hair issues during IM training plan
I realize this seems like a vain/ frivolous question but I thought I would send it out to the masses and see what sort of advice I get. Anyway, my issue is that with work and school schedule I end up doing an a.m. workout and a late evening workout which means I have to take two showers, which is total hell on my hair. Just wondering if any one had any product advice or advice on keeping my hair from looking flat and semi-wet all day, everyday for the next 6 months of this training plan. Thanks!

Helen

2014-01-15 2:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: hair issues during IM training plan

Maybe look into picking up a dry shampoo or make your own? Dry shampoos will soak up any excess oils and might help "fluff up" a bad hair day.

Also think about researching how commercial shampoos strip the scalp of natural oils (causing over production of oil) and create a cycle of the more you shampoo, the more you NEED to shampoo. Nice article here.

Edited by lisac957 2014-01-15 2:21 PM
2014-01-15 2:45 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

New user

So I will state that I'm a guy but I do have longer hair.
I've come up with two solutions, both or neither of which may for you.

First, I just don't wash my hair after my P.M workout. Just rinse off in the shower. Still use soap on my skin, just don't wash my hair.
My thinking being that I'm just going to wake up, work out in the morning, get sweaty and have to take another shower.

Second, I've found a couple of leave-in conditioners that work well after the pool, which seems to do the most damage.
This stuff works so far:
http://www.amazon.com/Ion-Ion-0024-Swimmers-Leave-in-Conditioner/dp...

2014-01-15 2:54 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by lisac957

Maybe look into picking up a dry shampoo or make your own? Dry shampoos will soak up any excess oils and might help "fluff up" a bad hair day.

Also think about researching how commercial shampoos strip the scalp of natural oils (causing over production of oil) and create a cycle of the more you shampoo, the more you NEED to shampoo. Nice article here.

^^^do what this girl says, clearly speaks from experience. she has pantene hair!
2014-01-15 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by ayontz

First, I just don't wash my hair after my P.M workout. Just rinse off in the shower. Still use soap on my skin, just don't wash my hair.
My thinking being that I'm just going to wake up, work out in the morning, get sweaty and have to take another shower.

Agree with this. And I'm a lady with long hair!

My experience. I always shampoo after a swim, and that is usually in the morning. In the evening, if I'm not seeing anybody else, I do not shower at all sometimes just wash my face, others I just rinse off in the shower before bed. Otherwise I use a dry shampoo or baby powder near my scalp and style after showering without getting my hair wet. If my hair is freshly shampooed, I'm probably rocking blown out straight hair. If you see me with curly or styled hair... I did not wash my hair during my last shower or I have a hot date.

Also, get a quality shampoo from a beauty store. More expensive, but you can use less and your hair doesn't get nasty as quickly.

Edited by MechEChick 2014-01-15 3:00 PM
2014-01-15 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

While I shower after every workout, I don't wash my hair after every workout. 

I'll usually go one or two days without shampooing, but (especially after swim workout) will use conditioner on my hair.  

Also, ponytails, buns, any other type of "updo" are your friends for the next 6 months.   

2014-01-15 3:01 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Also, ponytails, buns, any other type of "updo" are your friends for the next 6 months.   

x2
2014-01-15 3:39 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by MechEChick

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

x2

x3

yep, most people don't know what I look like with my hair down. Only for 'special occasions', but it is usually in a pony tail or low bun - AND a visor.
I have long, thick hair that is to the middle of my back. I wash after swims ALWAYS, but usually only every 3rd day (and I'm a sweaty girl). My hair is pretty dry though, so it doesn't seem nasty until that 3rd day or so.
I agree with the high quality products and dry shampoo!
2014-01-15 4:28 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by mtrunner6 I realize this seems like a vain/ frivolous question but I thought I would send it out to the masses and see what sort of advice I get. Anyway, my issue is that with work and school schedule I end up doing an a.m. workout and a late evening workout which means I have to take two showers, which is total hell on my hair. Just wondering if any one had any product advice or advice on keeping my hair from looking flat and semi-wet all day, everyday for the next 6 months of this training plan. Thanks! Helen

I looked pretty bad both times I trained for an IM. I just lived with the fact it was going to be pulled up and wet most days. 

A really great hair product is It's a 10 Miracle Hair Mask. Does a wonderful job of conditioning hair. 

Good luck! I know I looked like h@ll for 6 months. Just how it was. 

2014-01-16 7:29 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Extreme Veteran
I don't wash my hair after every workout either (always, always after swims though, because it's so damaging). I know it sounds gross, but I spray dry shampoo on the roots, brush, and blow-dry all the sweat/dry shampoo. It ends up looking pretty good. If it looks gross, I'll twist it into a knot on top of my head. I have long hair and that helps. Like PP said, there are all kinds of pretty up styles you can do. A simple twisted bun works great for me. I have to say that my hair is in much better shape doing this than when I tried to shampoo it every day. When I do wash and style it, it looks so shiny and vibrant.
2014-01-16 11:21 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Ooo, and put extra hair ties everywhere. Somehow I always lose them. I keep extras in my car, purse and work desk.

2014-01-16 11:36 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Go bald. It worked for me.
2014-01-16 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4932301

I totally feel your pain. Two a days are no good for your hair, and I'm in the military so my hair HAS to look presentable! I try to plan my hardest, sweatiest workouts for the am so I can wash and style my hair for the day. I also swim in the am for the same reason. If I do a second workout (most days) I either put it up so it doesn't get wet in shower, then dry any sweat and use dry shampoo. If my second workout is really sweaty I rinse my hair only with conditioner no shampoo. I also do once weekly deep conditioning treatments. Having less than perfect hair is just part of a triathlete life! Hope this helps!!!
2014-01-19 4:32 PM
in reply to: jaime_runs

User image

Thanks all for the advice! I invested in fancy hair products (by fancy I mean not the cheapest thing I can find at Target, as is my usual M.O.) dry shampoo, and a massive stock pile of hair ties. Now to see if my boyfriend can handle six months of this!
2014-01-19 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Also, how you pull your hair up during the workout (at least runs and to some extent bikes) can help. I have bangs and I pull them and the top part of my hair into a little ponytail on top of my head and put a wicking hat on top; the rest of my hair is put up somehow to not be against my neck. That way you have a little bit of scalp sweat but your hair's not soaking up the face/ neck sweat. And when you take down the bang/ top of head thing it has some volume.
Experiment to find headbands and hats/ visors that wick the sweat. I find that some just make me hotter and sweatier but some do keep my head from sweating too much.
2014-01-20 12:33 AM

User image

, California
I have short colored hair and pay a lot for my color, so I do whatever I can to protect my hair. Having short hair also means I have to wash it everyday and after each workout.- dry shampoos are not an option. I think not only of my hair but my skin when I have to consider 2 showers and look for moisturizing properties. Sometimes I will skip the evening shower if possible ( biking but never running) I use Nexxus products which are quality hair products but not too expensive. When I swim I spray my hair with a sun protectant/conditioner and then put my swim cap on. With the conditioner already applied, I don't think an extra wash here and there will hurt if I need to shower twice. If you run with a hat or visor you may want to consider spraying in a leave in conditioner prior to your workout and the heat/ conditioner will work together to condition your hair while you work out. Then a wash would be perfect.I would also check with your stylist for recommendations

Edited by MamacitaT 2014-01-20 12:34 AM

2014-01-22 6:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

Ooo, and put extra hair ties everywhere. Somehow I always lose them. I keep extras in my car, purse and work desk.

Obviously I don't take my own advice. Just had to a pack of hair ties. Fail.
2014-01-23 7:09 AM

User image

Pixie cuts are very trendy right now. I have had one for two years and want to grow it out for a change, but it is just so compatible with working out that I am reluctant to do it.
2014-01-23 7:33 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by happyscientist

Pixie cuts are very trendy right now. I have had one for two years and want to grow it out for a change, but it is just so compatible with working out that I am reluctant to do it.
i hear you on this I'm about 12 months into growing mine out and with an entire packet of bobby pins and a small hair tie I can get a ponytail that is maybe 1" long. But it doesn't stay up when I run and is no good for under my helmet.

Also after a week of days where it has been over 100* I'm getting it chopped off next week it's just too hot and with the swimming has started to get that overly shiny look and feels a bit like straw - time for it to go.
2014-01-23 10:32 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by StaceyK

i hear you on this I'm about 12 months into growing mine out and with an entire packet of bobby pins and a small hair tie I can get a ponytail that is maybe 1" long. But it doesn't stay up when I run and is no good for under my helmet.

Also after a week of days where it has been over 100* I'm getting it chopped off next week it's just too hot and with the swimming has started to get that overly shiny look and feels a bit like straw - time for it to go.

I wish I had the courage to go for it. I think perhaps I'm too attached to my long hair...

Maybe... you all recommend it? Like having shorter hair?
2014-01-23 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Not relevant to the OP at all but I just had to chop of the beard I had been working on since October due to the pool. Got tired of the chlorine drenched steel wool feel. So while not the same pain... I feel your pain OP.

2014-01-23 6:11 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
MidWest

Originally posted by lisac957

I am so excited to see this link!  I am so not a morning person and getting up to wash my hair at o dark thirty does not thrill me.  I have tried washing my hair at night but it feels funny in the morning or it dries funny making me look funny!  I am seriously going to give this a try.  I have surgery scheduled next week for my finger and this would be perfect!

2014-01-24 6:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by StaceyK

I wish I had the courage to go for it. I think perhaps I'm too attached to my long hair...

Maybe... you all recommend it? Like having shorter hair?
I LOVE having short hair.

I took the plunge and had it chopped short - like real short 4 years ago. Before that it reached well past the middle of my back. My hair is very thick and curly, it also goes very frizzy especially when you blow dry it. I was finding that during the summer I always had it tied up because it was just way too hot otherwise and in winter it was always wet because I would wash it everyday to control the frizz and then couldn't blow dry it so it would take till well after lunch to dry.

With it short it is much less curly and frizzy and I can wash it every second day give it a mega quick blow dry, wack some goop in it and be done. I very rarely spend more than 10 minutes doing it.

The only down side maybe is that my hair grows fast for the first little bit so I get it trimmed every 5-6 weeks. But once it reaches about to my collar it's growth slows right down so I doubt I will ever have the patience to grow it out.
2014-01-24 7:35 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not training for an IM but I do train a lot in a very sweaty climate, swim a lot, and often have very quick transitions from training to work and vice versa. Another vote for short hair--just a lot less trouble to manage and it's easier to keep short hair healthy. I have a small face anyway so the pixie look works a lot better than loads of hair. I also color with a copper weave so try to treat it nicely during training to make the color job last. My "secret weapon" after swimming is Paul Mitchell clarifying shampoo (called Shampoo 3--my old stylist, who also swam a lot, recommended it.) I follow that with Pantene conditioner, usually the Nourished Shine one. By itself, the clarifying shampoo or a lot of the "swimmer" shampoos tend to strip your hair and make it dry and frizzy. If it's not a swim, I don't wash my hair after every workout--sometimes just rise as I shower to get the sweat out. For washing at times other than swimming, I usually use Pantene shampoo or a botanical with green tea or lemon grass, no conditioner. My hair is short but soft and shiny--colleagues and even stylists have said it's unusual for someone who not only colors it but swims a lot.

If my hair feels like it's getting dried out, sometimes if I've been sick, our pool chemicals are out of whack, or it's really hot in dry season. I do a treatment with coconut oil. It's from botanical beauty lines in Thailand and Indonesia, and intended for hair, but probably any coconut oil would work. You can even comb it in and leave it on for a while during the day (probably not at work unless you are going for some very traditional SE Asian slicked-down looks), and rinse it out later.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hair issues during IM training plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Total Immersion During IM Training

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 944 Posts: 5

2008-08-15 12:55 PM sunfish

Modifying Marathon Training Plan during Vacation?

Started by maxpixie
Views: 685 Posts: 1

2008-08-09 10:10 AM maxpixie

Recovery during training plan

Started by randym
Views: 764 Posts: 2

2008-06-02 11:52 AM JohnnyKay

Strength Training during HIM plan

Started by kevmk81
Views: 1064 Posts: 4

2008-01-03 10:50 AM Big Sexy

Training Plan for DURING Race Season?

Started by newbiedana
Views: 1088 Posts: 5

2008-04-21 9:41 AM newbiedana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : October 2, 2008
Discussions on Total Immersion swimming, strength training, road bike or triathlon bike, stationary biking for Ironman training, heat and GI issues and doing a HIM before a first IM.
date : July 29, 2008
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Could these fevers be related to my training and increased fatigue? Is there anything I can do to help prevent future occurrences? Or could it just be allergies combined with increased fatigue?