General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Tri Series 13/14. Race 2. St Kilda Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Tri Series 13/14. Race 2. St Kilda - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Melbourne, Victoria
AU
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 58m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 29/36
Pre-race routine:

I woke at 3:00am an didn't really sleep after that. Nerves were certainly an issue.
Event warmup:

Rode down to St Kilda. Set up and waited the 53 mins for our wave start. Ate a stick of clif shots prior to the swim and warmed up a little. The bay was certainly warmer than November and less choppy.
Swim
  • 32m 23s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Difficult course in that you couldn't see it's entirety from shore. I had parts of the swim where I doubted my ability and will to finish. But then I'd come good. There was a running/walking component at the second last buoy. I was passed by a couple of girls there only to pass them in the water again. Partially satisfying!
What would you do differently?:

More open water swimming to get used to the rocking, the waves and my wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Massive transition area, with plenty of running. Got my suit off fine, race belt and helmet on, good to go! I screwed up jumping on the bike cos one of my bike shoes fell off, so then I had to jump off the bike, put the shoe on my foot and start again. I'm sure this happened in my last Oly!
Bike
  • 1h 23m 29s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.75 km/hr
Comments:

I lost a spot on the bike to a woman in my age group. Better than last time. I've really worked on my bike training in this last block. I stayed aero for majority of the ride, I did manage to ride over a cone and thankfully didn't come to any grief. The rest of the ride was uneventful, I took in a gel about 15 mins in, another just before I got off the bike and sipped on electrolytes during. The wind had picked up a little in the last lap so I was happy to be getting off the bike.

I'd love to push the average up to 30 km/hr and still have the strength in my legs to run.
Transition 2
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

Again heaps of running, but all went smoothly. Shoes (no socks) on easily, grabbed hat and I was off.
Run
  • 57m 21s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 44s  min/km
Comments:

I seriously doubt this was 10km, because it's a 10km pb for me! We were some of the last people on course given our last wave start. I knew everyone I was passing had started prior to me. It was a bit of a confidence boost. At about the 6km mark a chic in my AG caught me. I stayed with her and we ended up running together for the rest of the race. She pretty much paced me to the finish. We realized we could go under 3 hours. That was certainly a bit of a goal for me. And we did it, sub 3 hours!

A really good run for me. I know I lost a stack of places, but I felt strong and positive the entire way. Yes, I need to add speed work, but happy enough with the performance.
Post race
Warm down:

Good race for me, exceeded expectations. It's tough to jump to an Oly in the second race of the season, but I understand the timing with regards to the 70.3s coming up in Feb.
I pb'ed by 6 min. I found the swim really tough and came good on the bike and run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to work on open water swimming, get stronger on the bike and work on my run speed.

Last updated: 2013-10-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:23 | 1500 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/36
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:23:29 | 40 kms | 28.75 km/hr
Age Group: 25/36
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:21
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:21 | 10 kms | 05m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 0/36
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-01-15 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Gatorade Tri Series 13/14. Race 2. St Kilda

2014-02-27 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4932432

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Gatorade Tri Series 13/14. Race 2. St Kilda
Hey Casie
Just caught this in one of my little trawls round the old place!

Looks like you had a great time out there!
Huge huge congrats on a massive PB!!!! So proud of what you've done!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Tri Series 13/14. Race 2. St Kilda Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 7 - St. Kilda

Started by tri_spanna
Views: 765 Posts: 1

2012-04-01 5:15 AM tri_spanna

Started by tri-laura
Views: 882 Posts: 1

2012-04-01 2:52 AM tri-laura

Started by swayerm
Views: 1058 Posts: 4

2012-04-08 2:08 AM swayerm

Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 1 - St. Kilda

Started by tri-laura
Views: 1959 Posts: 3

2011-11-20 9:12 PM cottoneyes

Gatorade Tri series - Race 1 St Kilda

Started by Bunks
Views: 1066 Posts: 1

2004-11-25 11:37 PM Bunks
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : June 22, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
The race didn't really wear me out but it felt like my body was bonking. Do I really need Gatorade or some other sports drink after a race?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 5
The 112/4 Race Rehearsal Brick. If done correctly, the RR is usually no more stressful than a regular training ride, and that is probably the point.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.