It's fun! (and addicting)3 Votes - [7.14%]
Other (please write in comments!)11 Votes - [26.19%]

2014-01-16 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: What motivated you to start?
Hey all!

I'm working on a project that I've put off for way to long now. I'm looking for stories of what motivated you to get into the endurance lifestyle, and what keeps you going.

If anyone is interested in sharing their story that I could use in my project, shoot me a note! If I end up using your story I'll return the favor by offering one of my sprint (which can be modified for Oly) plans for free!

Thanks all!

2014-01-17 7:50 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: What motivated you to start?
I swam, I ran, I learned about tris, I tried.
2014-01-20 4:32 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I started a new job, met a new friend who raced triathlons and she talked me into doing a local sprint.  OK, so it wasn't just her talking me in to it, I obviously had a desire to try something new and challenging.  I was hooked at trying to improve my times and myself (still working on both!) and will be entering my 5th season of triathlon.

2014-01-23 9:00 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
My wife started in 2011 and I went to see her tri's. I then bought a bike just to spend time riding together. Then, I took the plunge.
2014-01-24 3:15 AM

User image

I could run (slow), I could bike (slow), and I could sort of swim (even slower). Having been obese most of my adult life, I started losing weight following WLS, and I needed a challenge, something I could have never imagined doing when I was obese. A triathlon looked like the perfect challenge I finished dead last at my first triathlon last summer, but it didn't curb my motivation to keep training and keep racing!

2014-01-24 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I was trying to lose weight for my 20 year reunion so I started running.....then my sister dared me to sign up for a triathlon and the rest is history.  Dozens of tris later I still bike or run almost every day and sometimes even swim (not lately, but back in the pool soon!).    

2014-01-28 8:58 AM
in reply to: Medusa_Ann

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
My GF (now wife) told me I was FAT and needed to lose weight. a few weeks after she told me that we were on vacation at the beach when she informed me that the beach we vacation at every year hosts a triathlon every September and some friends of hers had done it last year and thought it would be fun thing to do together and help me lose some weight. I of course dismissed her and she got angry so I caved after she bet me that if I do it, she will do it too. I joined a gym and lost 20lbs training for my first race. I had to rent a bike for this race and walk most of the run and came in DFL in my AG and 2nd to last OA but I had a blast. When we got home from the race I found a local tri club, bought a bike and have been doing them ever since. I am now on my 5th season of Tri's, currently training for my first IM this summer at Mont Tremblant and have lost 70lbs and kept it off over the last 4 years (265-195). I thank her constantly for getting my FAT butt off the couch and getting me started towards a healthy lifestyle. Its great to be in the best shape of my life and enjoy endurance sports with my wife. Taking her bet and doing that first triathlon was the best thing that ever happened to me.
2014-02-11 1:12 PM
in reply to: avsie2013

Newcastle, New South Wales
Your story inspires me, I wish I could be as brave as you!
Congratulations on your achievements
2014-02-13 8:13 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I think you need to make multiple answers available. I could have chosen 4/5 (it's not really fun)

I'm doing this as part of my weight loss/getting healthier plan (1&2)
I'm doing this because my wife is worried about me being around and I want to be there for my kids (3)
I'm doing this as a physical/mental challenge to myself (5)

Rick
2014-02-21 1:17 PM

User image

I chose weight loss, but could have just as easily chosen healthy or fun.

I'm not sure I fit into the term "endurance lifestyle" - my first tri, a reverse sprint, is tomorrow. But I have my eye on bigger (longer?) and better things.

For me it's been a progression. It started out by riding my hybrid/comfort (neither road, mountain or beach cruiser) bike around my neighborhood. Then I began exploring local dirt trails. Dropped 50+ pounds and got a real mountain bike. Did some MTB races. Then I got another mountain bike. I started running both to cross train and because I travel - running shoes are easier to pack than a bike). I hurt my shoulder (Going OTB on a black downhill trail) and doc told me to start swimming. At the same time I started riding a borrowed road bike because riding the MTB hurt. Now I'm road biking, running and swimming (although not very well) and the idea that I could actually do a triathlon started to infiltrate my brain.

I still prefer MTB over any of the other stuff, but I'm enjoying it all. In the beginning it was all about weight loss. While I still have about 30 pounds to go, it's now more about overall fitness and endurance. I have more fun on either bike when I'm not exhausted and I'm not slowing others down.

I'm probably not ever going to be an Ironman - that ship has sailed. I'm 45 and have spent most of my life avoiding anything athletic. But a HIM? Possibly. Certainly some Olys are in the plan.
2014-02-25 3:53 PM
in reply to: rjames91

User image

in Jan of 2012 I turned 45 and weighed 230lbs. I had always been active, motorcycle racing, sports, a 5k race or two, military ect.. I sat down one day and just simply decided to do a triathlon. It was a goal to motivate me to get into better shape and loose weight. Did my first sprint that summer and kept it up for a year. Sort of fell off the wagon a bit and decided to do a couple mini sprints. The shorter races I could compete in with less training commitment. Im actually using sprint training plan to get ready for the mini sprints I have planned. I have decided to try and compete in the local series this summer so I will be doing 4 of them at least. I guess I do tri's to keep in shape, loose weight, and as a way to motivate me to get the training in. They are also a lot of fun and everyone involved is a great help and fun to be around.

2014-02-25 10:16 PM
in reply to: Tom018

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
It was almost two years ago to the date.

I was just about to turn 26, my birthday is March 1st. I was 260lbs pack a day smoker. I was miserable, I ached, I was so unhappy with my self image, and had very little self esteem. I was always overweight, always out of shape, I never played sports in school or really with friends. In fact I made it a point to avoid physical activity whenever possible.

Something happened on 2/28/12 I decided I had enough and went out for a run. If you wanted to call it that. I could barley run 1 block at a time. But I did it. Probably went out for a mile and ran probably 1/10 of it and had to walk the rest. Honestly I expected to fail. I tried so many times to 'get into shape' and gave up each and every time in the past. It was to hard, I didn't have time, I didn't need to lose any weight. Always an excuse, never a solution.

Something happened on 2/29/12. I went out for another run/walk.

I don't remember each event after that for a little while. But what I do remember is that I started to stick with it. Little before I knew it I was able to run around the block, down the street, to that stop sign a few blocks away. Then my first mile.

I signed up for my first 5k - a task that I thought was near impossible at the time. I had only ran a mile, much less three!

A coworker had mentioned triathlons, and how he completed one. He was also out of shape and over weight. I thought heck if he can do one I can. I decided to do a local sprint that summer, and boy did I have a lot of training to do. I found this site in April of 2012. I logged my first workout here on April 21st, 2012 and have logged probably 99% of them since.

Something else happened.

The scale was starting to move downwards. I saw 250, 240, 230. I was loving the progress I was making. The pounds were coming off and I was feeling better. I could move easier, my body was not aching (well different aches). The comments I was receiving were a well needed boost to the self esteem.

That first 5K came, 31m24s, just over a 10 minute mile. I was happy, I ran it with out stopping.

Fast forward to that first triathlon. It was hard. I came in last place in my AG, but you know what. I finished. 1h46m46s. I'll be back next year.

I kept up with the training. There have been ups and downs. Of course setbacks along the way.

Let's fast forward till today I've accomplished so much in the past two years, I've hit many goals;

two years smoke free on April 2nd 2014
First 10K
First HM
First 20+ mile run
First Olympic distance
First 100+ mile bike ride

Goals for this year

50 mile ultramarathon.
Hit my goal weight of 170 (currently 184)

In short what has motivated me is the next step forward. I lived so long thinking that I couldn't do this, I couldn't be an athlete. My motivation is the pounds of the scale, being able to fit into the size clothes I wore when I was a Sophomore in HS.

There have been so many times I've wanted to quit, fall down and give up. That's when I tell myself just one more step forward, that's all I'll do. Just one more step forward.

That's my motivation.

2014-02-27 12:14 PM

User image

New user

I was overweight , married and miserable. I knew something had to change . I took a Learn to Run class through the Running Room and that was the first step in an incredible journey. I lost weight, loved running, got a divorce and was happy. That was 2004. In the last 10 years I have moved from running to triathlons. I did my first in 2007 , just a sprint on a 30 year old ten speed and a bathing suit. I finished and that " This is so awesome !!!"
The following year I did 3 triathlons and it has increased from there. 2010 was the year I did 10 races and had some of the most memorable races. In 2011 , a very dismal year of racing and lack of motivation , I signed up for IM Canada 2012. This would become a pivotal point in my triathlon career. I spent 2012 doing more bragging that I was doing an Ironman than any actual training. At a training camp in May it became clearly evident to me that I was in way over my head. However pride and thought of failure pushed me forward. At a half ironman 4 weeks out from Ironman I came in dead last. I knew than that Ironman Canada was never going to happen. I went anyway. I made the swim cutoff by 20 min. I was the very last athlete on the bike course. I passed lots of people...I even tried with all that I had in me, but at the top of Yellow Lake with about 30km left they took my timing chip. I was offered a ride back to T2, I declined. I rode for about 2 miles in tears. I finished the bike....and although I was done the crowd still cheered me in. I broke down in transition. The next day a friend called to check on me .....then took me , with my family's blessing, to sign up for the inaugural Challenge Penticton. In November I was diagnosed with a herniated disc. In Jan 2013 after more than 8 weeks of pain and no sign of relief I went to physio and that changed everything. It was not a herniated disc it was piriformis syndrome. After 4 treatments I was like new and I had a new mind set. I challenged myself to go way out of the box. Train hard, believe in what I could do and not be afraid of failure....because the only failure is if you dont try. The results were staggering. I raced well. I had some PR's......I even took an hour of the time of the race I finished dead last the year before.
And one would think that would make a great end to the story.....but I wasn't done. I went back to Penticton and owned that course. I Finished !!!!
If that wasn't enough I took it one step further, 3 months after my iron distance finish in Penticton I became an Ironman in Cozumel.
I started because I wanted to try something new......I stay motivated because I now realize what I can do.....and I see how I motivate others. I am a mother of 3, I work , I am average , I am not 10% bodyfat......but I love what I accomplish .
2014-03-04 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview
My mom had a heart attack at 59 years old. I was 37 and 312lbs. I dieted down to 260lbs but couldn't lose anymore that is when I started adding exercise...a bicycle. One thing led to another and I got talked into triathlon. I am in the 220's now and signed up for ironman florida. This has been a slow transition over a number of years.
2014-03-06 9:52 AM
in reply to: lanceho

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
i looked at my wedding and honeymoon pics and wondered how i did not get harpooned swimming in Aruba.

seriously.

Started at 265lbs in 2008, some ups and downs but i should be well below 200lbs by June this year, been as low as 202 in January 2012

plan on finishing the job this time
2014-05-14 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4933314

Never done a Triathalon but been training since the Tahoe Ironman Oct 2013. my motivation came from my very fit marathon running wife, while we were watching the ironman athletes pass by on bikes i mentioned to her we should start training and do one of these, then dead silence then she let out a chuckle and said "your on drugs these guys train forever to do this, thats a slap in the face to these guys by you saying you could do one", so i reminded her that i said we should train to do one... she apologized and we went on about our day. It festered and bothered me so i started running the next morning enjoyed it so much shortly after that i bought my very 1st road bike and the training began. Down to 210 from 240 in 7 months just completed my 4th half marathon (all 4 under 2:30), now I will add the longer rides and swim with the same motivation that got me running. i will finish a Ironman someday if I have to use my lips to pull me across the finish line! thanks Hunni for putting the fire under my Butt! sorry about the typing this iphone is a bugger to type on...

2014-05-14 11:29 PM

Houston
For roughly 15 years I only ran. My husband and I went to support my sister during her second marathon. Afterwards, he decided that he wanted to do something athletic in order to spend more time with me. I suggested that we do a spring triathlon since he's a swimmer. Three years later, I've completed several triathlons. I've even won awards in the Athena class lately (hah!), even though I really don't have any athletic ability. I can't say I do this for weight loss, because I eat too much to lose any weight.
2014-05-31 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4996384

A family trip to lake Placid NY with my wife and kids. I noticed a flier for the ironman and thought it might be possible in a few years. Something about that place that inspires me and I signed up for an Olympic tri in Maine.
2014-06-02 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)

I showed horses for several years and I sold my horse a few years back, so I started biking. Then I started running too, and finally I said why don't I swim too and do a triathlon.

Triathlon is a time consuming sport, I already had the dedication there. Secondly, it's WAY cheaper than showing horses so it was a win-win for me. This year will be my 4th tri season and looking forward to it!
2014-06-03 10:10 AM
in reply to: dublinpup3

User image

Cary, North Carolina
I volunteered at the Raleigh 70.3 Ironman in 2013 and I left telling myself I MUST do this one day.
2014-06-05 5:43 AM

User image

Hi Tony,

I was a triathlete back in the late 80's and early 90's. I moved to America and gained 80lbs over a period of 20 years. I've spent the last 15 or so years working and being a taxi for my kids and their activities. I've had a few health scares in the past few years and finally I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time. I topped out at 266lbs and over 40% body fat.

Now I have cut out the junk food and the sugary drinks, and have substituted healthy alternatives. Due to a number of lingering health issues and several failed attempts to lose weight, I am taking a much longer term, life style changing approach. Also, one concern I have is the possibility of accumulating a bunch of excess skin when I lose all the weight. With a goal to lose all 80lbs I've gained in the past 20 years, lose skin is a definite possibility. From the research I've done, the best way to avoid this excess skin is to lose weight slowly and get a lot of exercise. Some other reasons for me to take it slowly: 2 knee surgeries, arthritis in both hips, bone spur in my shoulder, asthma, GERD and weak right hamstring (a result of one knee surgery).

I'm planning to run a 5K in November with my son and daughter who have been doing the STRIDE and Girls on the Run programs at their elementary school. Eventually I'd like to have a shot at some longer races, but for me it's going to be a deliberately long process.

Cheers,

NealeinMI

2014-12-17 10:45 PM
in reply to: dublinpup3

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Hi everyone!

It's been months... thanks everyone for the responses! I had some personal stuff come up that put this project on the back burner; but I"m now bringing it back!

I REALLY appreciate your responses!

I've put together a list of questions to get information from anyone willing to submit. I'm putting together an e-book, and am looking for real life examples of how endurance sports was a life changer for you.

Here's the link to the google doc with 12 questions. If your willing to submit your story, you'll get a free trainingpeaks plan, and a huge internet high-five!

Thank you everyone, you guys are all great and your stories are very encouraging! That's what kept me going with this project!

http://goo.gl/forms/Gq95Ac48Be

2014-12-18 9:08 AM
in reply to: tzcoaching

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Submitted.
2014-12-18 9:35 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I submitted mine and will send you some pix as well.  Good luck!

2014-12-18 10:23 AM
in reply to: Medusa_Ann

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
You guys are great!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What motivated you to start? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Staying Motivated

Started by Jfly
Views: 1577 Posts: 14

2012-04-23 1:19 PM Jfly

Starting over!

Started by Michael
Views: 3149 Posts: 11

2008-12-13 2:52 PM ditchdoc

DFL - or how to lose a race before the start

Started by Lauralynne
Views: 1925 Posts: 19

2008-09-23 7:38 AM asaling

So I'm a clyde and had a heart attack..where to start

Started by spazdog
Views: 1912 Posts: 16

2008-07-29 7:56 AM bigolbigun

Knees - They are starting to complain! Pages: 1 2

Started by IdealMuse
Views: 4401 Posts: 29

2008-05-28 9:24 PM jhilsch
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
My main concern is obviously the running but my priority is weight loss. I really need any advice on how to get ready.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The start for everyone is a crazy cluster of splashing. Here are some tips to deal with what some consider being the toughest part of any triathlon.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Michael
Why is it so hard to start over after an extended leave from the sport. When it comes to training we can't live in our glory days!
date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.

date : October 10, 2004
author : adrianogier
Your programme was a great help in getting my training organised and balanced. Your web site has been a great help.