General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brand Spanking new heart valve..Think it might have some carbon in it Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-17 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Brand Spanking new heart valve..Think it might have some carbon in it
Been 7 months since my spare part list got longer.
Been with a Bio for 3 months now and I think I might be ready to start training properly again at the end of the month after my next evaluation
Now.. the question...anybody here have had a valve replacement? and how did it affect your times and training?
Not that I have any expectations of major league glory. I just want to compete and complete for the fun and enjoyment of it.

2014-01-21 4:05 AM
in reply to: kocourek

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Brand Spanking new heart valve..Think it might have some carbon in it
Which valve? I had my mitral valve repaired, I know other people who have had aortic valve replacement, related aneurysms repaired, etc. Experiences are different from individual to individual. I am slow but my condition has been stable for several years. I know others who perform very well.

I recommend posting your inquiry in the HEART forum. There are several people who can share their experience and help out with Q's you might have (and also contribute your own experience to the community body of knowledge).

http://heartorg.zohosites.com/

BTW, if you want to interact with some of the members in person, there are upcoming running events this year where we'll be meeting.

2014-01-21 11:04 AM
in reply to: kocourek

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Brand Spanking new heart valve..Think it might have some carbon in it

Got my mechanical aortic valve back in December 2000, at age 47.

Prior to my operation I was an avid weight lifter and occasional jogger, who had never seriously considered doing a triathlon.

Post-op my cardiologist asked me to limit my weight lifting, but told me I could do as much aerobic training as I could handle, provided I wore a HRM and spent most of my time in Z2 & Z3.

Although I was "functional" with in about 3-4 months, it took me 9-12 months to feel fully recovered.

All my aerobic exercise finally led me to do my first triathlon in Feb 2004, just over three years after my open heart surgery. 

I don't have any way to compare pre-op and post-op performance, since I didn't do anything before.  I can say that that I have had no cardiac issues since my surgery.  In fact, my resting HR has dropped from 72 bpm to 41 bpm since I got rid of my old leaky valve.

My biggest concern/limiter more and more seems to be my age (60) and dealing with increased recovery times, and some chronic over-use aches & pains.

Good luck with your comeback.

Mark 

2014-01-21 4:11 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Veteran
Its taking me a bit of time to adjust but at least I can see some progress. Training mostly Z2 with peaks in Z3. I am going to see the bio next week and maybe get permission to spend a bit more time in Z3. Had my op in May last year.Prolapsed mitral valve. Still did a tri 2 weeks before and managed a ave speed of 33kph on the bike.
Slowly building up the volume of training. Mainly bike and run with a bit of lifting at least once a week. I think the secret would be to forget about what you did previously. That is past. I will never get there again but I enjoy this sport and just want to take part. Mentally its a huge adjustment for me. Somebody comes past me on a bike and I hop onto their back wheel. Its just habit and the the HR monitor starts beeping..slow down buddy you are screwing the pooch.
And the pace booty disappears over the hill ......
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brand Spanking new heart valve..Think it might have some carbon in it Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Leaky heart valves

Started by mman
Views: 1791 Posts: 8

2007-06-23 6:05 AM RedCorvette

New study: endurance sports dangerous to heart? Pages: 1 2

Started by FishrCutB8
Views: 2643 Posts: 28

2007-01-23 12:49 PM JBrashear

Regurgitating mitral valve

Started by mathsgeek
Views: 865 Posts: 4

2006-10-10 12:52 PM Angeb

help--having chest strain/pain

Started by sharona
Views: 991 Posts: 3

2006-06-29 6:59 PM sharona

my new low resting heart rate!

Started by jwbrandon
Views: 1084 Posts: 2

2005-08-13 6:41 PM David14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 6
I am a new runner and my heart rate spikes with a very small increase in effort. So, when I run 2 or 3 miles (non-stop), I jump up to Zone 3, 4, and 5 almost immediately. What can I do?

date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.
date : November 23, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 1
Should you make the switch from your current aluminum framed bike to a carbon bike frame?

date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?
date : May 23, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 5
When running or biking, is it best to work towards increasing distance, stamina, working with heart rates, intervals, speed, drills, etc.?

date : November 19, 2006
Initially most patients with mitral valve regurgitation have normal heart function. But when the heart starts to function poorly, patients will start to become more short of breath with exertion.
date : May 1, 2006
Is training heart rate impacted by mitral valve prolapse and if so, how do you adjust accordingly.

date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”