General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Group in Gainesville/Haymarket Area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-17 2:20 PM

User image

Subject: Triathlon Group in Gainesville/Haymarket Area
I would like to start a Triathlon Group in the Haymarket / Gainesville area and want to gauge the level of interest for this region. The focus of the group will be a mutually supportive team environment for planned training sessions, workout plans, knowledge exchange and group social events. We will also participate in races as a team. All levels of experience will be welcome.

The tri-clubs I've researched in the area either charge a high monthly fee or several hundred dollars for specific program participation and training plans. This group would provide free training plans and coaching based on the members collective experience and training.

I am not an elite triathlete but have competed in Sprint, Olympic, Half-Ironman and full Ironman distances. Currently, I am training for the Potomac 7.5 mile swim at Point Lookout in MD and will also be competing in a few 2014 Triathlons.

Please send me a message or reply to the post If you are interest in more information or helping start this group.

Steve

2014-01-17 2:42 PM
in reply to: shaidar

User image

Haymarket, VA
Subject: RE: Triathlon Group in Gainesville/Haymarket Area

I'm in Haymarket and would love to participate with a local group.  Like you I found that any of the local groups had a very high monthly fee and based on their location I couldn't participate in most of their activities.

2014-01-24 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
I would also be interested in a group in the Gainesville area, mainly for group runs, rides and swims.
2014-01-26 6:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

There is an existing Facebook page called DVCC-Swim, Bike, Run Group. This is probably the most convenient way to build the group of interested people in the Gainesville/Haymarket area. Matt, who previously posted on this thread, and I are already members. We can definitely start some organized workouts.

Edited by shaidar 2014-01-26 7:14 PM
2014-01-27 9:14 AM

User image

As an alternative to the Facebook Page, I set up a Yahoo group called NOVA Triathlon. This group page provides a better way to upload and organize training and other files. It is currently open for anyone to join.

In early March I will be organizing group bike rides from Haymarket out to the Plain and Middleburg. I have cue sheets that provide turn-by-turn directions in case riders are not familiar with the route. We will also have weekly Interval runs at Ronald Reagan middle school in Haymarket or Bull Run middle school.
2014-01-27 11:10 AM

User image

I live in Loudoun (Aldie) but am still pretty close to you guys there. I would love to do some rides out that way, and am looking for some long hills to train on to prepare me for a hilly Half marathon in April? Any recommendations on long hills?

I will join the yahoo group you set up

Thanks

Pete R

2014-01-27 11:48 AM
in reply to: pareilly2000

User image

If you are looking to do some hill repeats there is a road that I think is named Logmill Rd. between Dominion Valley and Rt. 50. You would want to turn left if heading North on James Madison Highway. It has about 1.5 miles of rolling hills with pretty steep inclines.

I will also post this message on the NOVA Triathlon Yahoo group.
2014-01-27 12:10 PM

User image

Please disregard the message about joining the Facebook page. The Yahoo group NOVA Triathlon will be used to communicate and post files.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Group in Gainesville/Haymarket Area Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NoVA, Fairfax Area Competitive Tri Groups/Teams

Started by Vapor206
Views: 2023 Posts: 2

2010-07-19 4:03 PM pga_mike

Capital Area Triathlon Club (triCATs)

Started by jgz_tarheel
Views: 2770 Posts: 4

2007-10-17 9:22 AM BIGNEW

Recommendations for LBS in northern VA - Manassas area

Started by glf33
Views: 993 Posts: 2

2006-09-01 10:55 AM 3558

OWS Tidewater Area Sunday (6/18)

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 889 Posts: 2

2006-06-22 2:50 PM sk2a2005

Rank beginners in Charlottesville area?

Started by celtva
Views: 872 Posts: 1

2005-10-12 12:04 PM celtva
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : October 20, 2008
author : Lora109
comments : 9
I got about a minute into it and, despite bracing myself against it for months, I panicked. I could not get my breath. I said, "I can't do this, I can't do this."

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
How triathlons are very similiar to NASCAR.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
How to properly and effectively lay out your triathlon transition area.