General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MiamiMan Speedway water quality? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-17 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Subject: MiamiMan Speedway water quality?
Been hearing rumors that the water in the lake at Homestead speedway isn't the best. Anyone hear this?

2014-01-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: The Cube

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: MiamiMan Speedway water quality?
I haven't heard that, but to tell you the truth, I am a bit freaked about fresh water swims in Florida (I live in Key West) because of the gators. They can say there aren't any in the water, but I have heard that before and found a different "truth." The other thing is that I can't visualize the run not being banked a bit. I have to admit I have never been to the Speedway, is there a true flat surface in the inside track for running?
2014-01-18 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4934002

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
I believe the entire run is on the inside track, making it flat.
2014-01-19 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Just signed for the Oly, so also interested in the swim issue...although probably not worse that the swims at Tradewind, and I am used to those.

2014-01-20 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Sounds like you might have 2 different races confused a bit. MiamiMan, if it's in the same spot, is by Zoo Miami and the swim is in a spring fed lake. The water is very clear and COLD!!! No fear of gators in that lake, other fresh water lakes certainly have a possibility of gators. The Homestead Speedway race had a thread about water quality a few years ago. I've done MiamiMan 70.3 before and it's a great race, very organized and a good atmosphere.
2014-01-21 9:53 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

This year there is a new Miami Man race.  In addition to the Miami Man at the zoo (in November), there is Miami Man Speedway Edition in May. Here is the link:

http://www.miamimanspeedway.com/

Same organizer, distances, etc., just a different site.

2014-01-21 10:50 AM
in reply to: Samyg

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Thanks for the link. Didn't realize it was 2 different races. I've swam in some questionable places but I would think twice about swimming in a pond near an RV park.
2014-01-28 4:47 PM

User image

There was a triathlon there I think 2 years ago. I didn't race it but volunteered there. I heard the rd say that tested the water and it came up clean.

That being said I wouldn't want to swim in it because personally. I think that the issue would be what gets kicked up from the mud-silt on the edges or bottom. That is total speculation on my part I know nothing about anything.

On the plus side there's no gator crazy enough to try to live there :-)

I have run on the speedway years ago in a 5k that was entirely on the speedway. it is severely banked around the turns - in fact as an automotive course that's one of it's features. In the tri I saw it was just one loop around the rest was on the roads outside the speedway.

One more thing. It's going to be baking hot in the speedway. The race I volunteered was a hot day but on the speedway floor it was +5-10 degrees.

Good luck to anybody racing this event. I will try and come see it - but I'm racing in Raleigh the week after so I won't be racing.
2014-02-14 10:44 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: MiamiMan OR Homestead Speedway water quality?
I haven't heard of water quality issues at either venue and I live here.

Swim faster... you'll get out sooner.
2014-05-29 5:10 PM

User image

, Florida
Well, did the race this past weekend and was pleastly suprised at how clear the lake was. All though my wife and son saw a few snakes along the shore!!
Overall, I think Multirace did a nice job with the first year event and I look forward to racing it again in future season!!
Hope all who raced had a good weekend? If not you know where to find me!!
2014-06-10 6:09 AM
in reply to: tricoachflorida

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Yes it was fun... really hot, but fun! The water was clear, it was fun riding on the track, and while I walked most of the run due to foot issues, it was mostly outside the track so there was some shade and a good breeze. I will definitely do it again!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MiamiMan Speedway water quality? Rss Feed